aukahkay

SQ New Services To MXP And BCN This Summer

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:45 pm

There are hot rumours going around in the local aviation circle that Singapore Airlines will be commencing direct services non-stop services to Milan Malpensa and Barcelona this coming summer using the B777-200. This comes only months after its inaugural service to Moscow Domodedovo in March. Can anyone confirm the rumours?

HB-IWC

RE: SQ New Services To MXP And BCN This Summer

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:57 pm

It would surprise me very much. SQ has quite recently given up on MAD, so BCN seems very far fetched. And while I wouldn't rule out MXP at one point, it seems unlikely that SQ would contemplate at the end of April launching a new summer service, that would have to start in a matter of weeks.

Ex_SQer

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:37 am

IIRC - and unless a new bilateral has been signed - Singapore's bilateral with Italy allows SQ access to Rome only. If the bilateral was expanded, I would not be surprised if they dropped FCO for MXP. MXP is a higher yielding market for both pax and cargo. Currently, much of the cargo loaded on SQ's services out of FCO is trucked down from Northern Italy.

BCN is unlikely. And, as HB-IWC pointed out, it would be unusual for SQ to announce a new summer service this late. IIRC the only time they did this was when they scrambled to launch to SXF when Germany was reunified in order to keep the rights given by the former East Germany.

[Edited 2006-04-25 22:49:46]

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:00 am

Greetings and Salutations Ex-SQer. Tis I!

Anyway, dunno about MXP, this rumour seems to have come from the FCO station manager or similar. However with regards to BCN, OUTLOOK did state that such a service could start "later this year."

However judging from the long wait for this aircraft order, I don't advise people to hold their breathe.

I was going to attatch a SpaceBed advert with Italian words but can't find the picture.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.