SULUK
Topic Author

Non-reving On LAN SCL-IPC/Easter Island

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:55 am

Hi guys!

I am planing to fly standby with LAN to IPC/Easter Island from SCL beginning of June. Is there any airline employee who has done that before and could give me some advice?
I'm particularly interested in average load factors during this time and LAN's nonrev policy (dress code, upgrade in case Y full...). And is it likely to be left behind due to weight limitations on this route (probably rather westbound than eastbound).

Any help/advice/suggestion is greatly appreciated!
we are swissair /+/

A342

RE: Non-reving On LAN SCL-IPC/Easter Island

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:40 am

Quoting SULUK (Thread starter):
And is it likely to be left behind due to weight limitations on this route (probably rather westbound than eastbound).

At least in certain periods of the year, if not year-round, they use a 763ER, so this would be quite unlikely.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

SULUK
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:57 pm

That is true, thank you!
we are swissair /+/

Gemuser

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:01 pm

Just an errant thought. Could your plans be changed to route PPT-IPC instead. I have no idea of actual load factors, but IPC is Chileian terrority and as such offical traffic would be substantially confined to SCL-IPC, so IPC-PPT would have more and more reliable space.

If you are actually comming from Greenland you maybe able to non rev on TN JFK-PPT and return. This service reportedly has relatively low load factors.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

SULUK
Topic Author

Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:12 am

I'm not really from Greenland - it's just an amazing country...

Good idea to approach Easter Island from PPT but this does not really
match my travelplans... Moreover we don't get any interline tickets on
TN and I think flights out of LAX (AF and TN) are pretty full any time.
I will just have get on the Island from SCL.

Thanks anyway, mate!
we are swissair /+/

hb-iqa

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:16 am

I have failed once in a non-rev attempt SCL-IPC but succeeded in a routing PPT-IPC-SCL. I think in June there are less tourists but also less planes. I flew in November and it was not full at all PPT-IPC and pretty full IPC-SCL. I also had tickets to escape IPC in both directions. Ultimately my route flown was ZRH-NRT-PPT-IPC-SCL-LIM-LAX-ZRH. It is a pity you can't nonrev on TN (but can you on AF?)

Best advice is to go for it but have an alternative plan ex SCL if you can't get out to IPC. There are lots of other interesting places in Chile to visit.

SULUK
Topic Author

Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:05 pm

Thanks very much, Hb-iqa, I will also take tickets to escape via both SCL and PPT, we can nonrev on AF (we have pretty good agreements, but somehow not on TN...). But my plan is really to go from SCL and also fly back to SCL because it's actually just a short trip over from Chile, I also want to see other places in Chile. How long lasted your stay on the island?
we are swissair /+/

nonrevman

Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:02 am

I have heard that it is very difficult to get back fro IPC to SCL, especially when Papeete is in the heaviest part of tourist season. From what I have read, even revenue passengers in IPC are sometimes denied boarding because of overbooking. Much of the traffic from Papeete is continuing on to Santiago. Also be advised that the flight is not daily in the off season. So, if you miss it, you could be on the island for a while. LanChile's flight is the only scheduled service to Easter Island.

hb-iqa

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:08 am

I spent approx 72 hours on Easter Island. I would have liked to remain slightly longer but took the opportunity to take a flight on which I knew spare seats were available. I found the Lan Chile office on Easter Island very helpful in giving me the loading info for the forthcoming flights so I could make a realistic decision as to when to leave again.

On the island, I would recommend wholeheartedly to travel around independently. There are various options - walking, horseback or 4x4 jeep. The jeep option gives you a lot of flexibility and freedom although there is no insurance possible. It enables you to be alone at the major sites - slightly spooky to walk around Ranu Raraku or Ahu Tongariki at dusk and be the only human amongst the giant Moai.

If you have nonreved a lot, you will be quite aware of the risks and inconveniences you have to put up with. But I still have the opinion that you have to go for it - as long as you have alternative routings and are somewhat flexible with your travel dates.

SULUK
Topic Author

Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:47 am

Thank you very much for your detailed information Hb-iqa! 3 days is also about
what I plan to stay on Rapa Nui. And I will have enough time, so I'm flexible
as far as the return flight is concerned. And yes, I have nonreved a lot, so I'm well aware what can happen... But somehow, I like the risk  Wink
Do you know if it's easy to get a cheap accomodation upon arrival on the island or would you suggest to book something in advance?
we are swissair /+/

tundra767

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:36 am

Yeah the best way to nonrev to IPC is via PPT. You can take AF,TN or ANZ to PPT from LAX AF and TN are you best bet as ANZ is usually weight restricted out of LAX.

hodja

Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:55 pm

Quoting SULUK (Reply 9):
Do you know if it's easy to get a cheap accomodation upon arrival on the island or would you suggest to book something in advance?

On arrival is fine - several guest house owners greet the incoming flights, and there's usually plenty of occupancy.

By the way, there are worse places being stranded than IPC...

hb-iqa

Mon May 01, 2006 5:06 am

Quoting SULUK (Reply 9):
And yes, I have nonreved a lot, so I'm well aware what can happen... But somehow, I like the risk

A like minded traveller!

Again I agree with Tundra767 and Hodja. If possible, make IPC your first stop on the itinerary, aim to get there via PPT and then take it from there.

Don't bother reserving a room - you will have no problem in finding a place to stay.

And it really is true what Hodja says, there are many many worse places to be stuck than IPC.