Tom in NO
Topic Author

Daytona Beach Airport Propliner Question

Mon Jun 12, 2000 6:21 am

When I was a student at Riddle-Daytona Beach in 81-82, there were a few old Convair twin-prop planes in various states of repair/disrepair on the southwest side of the airport.

When I visited again in '87, there were two there (being dismantled), plus a blue and red striped Vickers Viscount.

So, a question: are those aircraft still there (they were located below the present day control tower), or have they disappeared completely?

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

777boy

RE: Daytona Beach Airport Propliner Question

Mon Jun 12, 2000 8:35 am

I am not very smart about different kinds of prop planes, but when I was at DAB during spring break, I saw a lot of props under the control tower. One looked a lot like a DC-3 to me. They didn't look like they were being used, though, because I saw all of them in the same position all week. Maybe they were being dismantled.

FrontierMan

Mon Jun 12, 2000 10:03 am

They were Convairs and yes they are still below the new tower. Sort of near the fire station. They are made with a special program for kids????? I think. One of them has the Trans-Florida-Airlines livery.

J32driver

Mon Jun 12, 2000 10:49 am

The convairs were still there back in March. I think they still fly a couple of freight runs per week. Someoned told me they have 2 operable planes, the rest are spare parts. I flew out of DAB for 6 1/2 years and only saw them fly 4 or 5 times.

J32driver (class of 97)