gmcc

An Easier Way For AS To Get To Hawaii, Merge W/ AQ

Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:43 pm

All the speculation about AS flying to Hawaii got me thinking, instead of flying from SEA and ANC which already has code share partner flights to Hawaii would it be easier for AS to merger with AQ and get to the island that way. While it would might be more expensive than operating flights from ANC and SEA it seems like a good fit for the following reasons:

1) common fleet 737-700 and 737-200
2) service from mainland cities not covered by partner airlines ie SNA and possibly OAK.
3)give the combine airline a greater presence at SNA which would put them in a better position for international flight slots from SNA if the expansion to 20 gates with 2 international gates actually unfolds the way the airport wants it to.
4) not a lot of overlapping flights, but enough common points to ensure good traffic flow on existing routes

Again this is pure speculation, I have no evidence that this would be a good or bad thing. Looking for everyone's thoughts on the matter.

AirframeAS

RE: An Easier Way For AS To Get To Hawaii, Merge W/ AQ

Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:53 pm

Bro, get off the reefer! Aint gonna happen. AS is a codeshare whore and will ALWAYS be one!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Aloha717200

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:15 pm

Better idea....why not have AQ purchase AS to get into Alaska!  drunk 

mariner

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:17 pm

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 2):
Better idea....why not have AQ purchase AS to get into Alaska!   

checkmark 

mariner
aeternum nauta

LAXintl

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:28 pm

If Alaska ever had its eyes on Aloha the airline would have swooped in an made an offer during Aloha's recent Ch11 process.

Aloha could have been had for pennies on the dollar simply by willing to assume the carriers long term debt, and pumping in short term some working capital.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

gmcc

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:50 pm

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 4):
If Alaska ever had its eyes on Aloha thernairline would have swooped in an made an offer during Aloha's recentrnCh11 process.

True, but a mileage plan member could dream for an easier way to get to Hawaii than have to go up to LAX from orange county for a partner flight. Then I wake up.  laughing  Not that the airport is so bad but it is the trip up that gets worse all the time.

FlagshipAZ

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:55 pm

Interesting thought there, Gmcc. I wouldn't mind seeing AS taking over AQ. Since both carriers fly 737s, with AS going all 737NG by 2008, and AQ having 73Gs now...yep this would work from the fleet standpoint alone already. Then we'll have direct ANC - HNL flights, bypassing the Outside altogether. I'd see it now, both the 49th & 50th states having direct services with each other without any inputs whatsoever from the mainland. Smile It's worth pursuing, if anyone has the guts for it. Probably just a pipe dream, tho. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin