mrcomet

Boeing And Airbus Post Huge Profits

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:14 pm

"Boeing Co. reported a better-than-expected 29 percent jump in first-quarter profits Wednesday, benefiting from continuing momentum in its commercial airplane business that produced a surge in deliveries."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060426/earns_boeing.html?.v=4

With Airbus doing the same, it looks like neither one of them are killing themselves over the discounting of airliners. Sounds like there is more room for more discounts.
The dude abides

scbriml

RE: Boeing And Airbus Post Huge Profits

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:29 pm

Those headline numbers are for Boeing as a whole. The BCA numbers are further down in the report.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

astuteman

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:34 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 1):

BCA numbers are impressive, though. 10% operating margin for the first time in years, and $700m operating profit.

Be interesting to see Airbus Q1 figures.
A

scbriml

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:42 pm

Quoting Astuteman (Reply 2):
BCA numbers are impressive, though.

They certainly are, and I wasn't being negative, just pointing out that the numbers in the thread starter were not just BCA.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

mrcomet

Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:52 am

I would say 10% profit in almost any business is VERY good. I think a profit margin of 1% keeps a lot of retailers in good business. High tech businesses might make 30% but 10% for last quarter selling mostly 777s and 737s is very good in this market.
The dude abides

airfrnt

Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting MrComet (Thread starter):
"Boeing Co. reported a better-than-expected 29 percent jump in first-quarter profits Wednesday, benefiting from continuing momentum in its commercial airplane business that produced a surge in deliveries."

It sounds like Boeing's upkick in deliveries and proudction rate for the 777 is really starting to pay off.

mrcomet

Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:22 am

Since most of the deliveries in the quarter were 737s and 777s, the 10% margin came mostly from these airplanes because the majority of the money comes on delivery. They probably make 30% margin or more on all their other add-on products but since airplanes make up the majority dollar wise of their sales, that leads me to conclude they are getting very nice margins on these planes .... maybe 6-9% on average.
The dude abides

deltagator

Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:27 am

Where is the outrage over this blatant price fixing and gouging by the two companies? I demand a Congressional inquiry and a windfall tax imposed upon the companies immediately. They are clearly making these profits on the backs of the consumer who fly their planes.  biggrin 
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

AviationAddict

Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:29 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 7):
here is the outrage over this blatant price fixing and gouging by the two companies? I demand a Congressional inquiry and a windfall tax imposed upon the companies immediately. They are clearly making these profits on the backs of the consumer who fly their planes. biggrin

Oh my goodness! Someone obviously just spent $100 to fill up his H2 at the local Exxon!  Big grin  Wink

deltagator

Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:51 am

Quoting AviationAddict (Reply 8):
Oh my goodness! Someone obviously just spent $100 to fill up his H2 at the local Exxon!

Nah, just $42 to fill up my Honda Accord. It just cracks me up that so many people don't understand the whole oil picture and the simple concept of profit margins. With oil companies it is bad but plane manufacturers are ok.

Congrats to both of them by the way. There's room for both to make planes and money despite the raging debates of A vs. B that always happen on here.

[Edited 2006-04-26 21:52:00]
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

N328KF

Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:44 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 9):
Congrats to both of them by the way. There's room for both to make planes and money despite the raging debates of A vs. B that always happen on here.

Well, Boeing and Airbus can only charge so much because once profit levels reach a certain point, someone else will decide that the return will make up for substantial investment costs.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

AviationAddict

Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:26 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 9):
Nah, just $42 to fill up my Honda Accord

I hear ya on that one!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos