777ER
Crew
Topic Author

NZ Gets Cellphone In-flight Exemption

Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:48 pm

Air New Zealand in-flight passengers will now be allowed limited use of their cellphones – provided they can be set to a non-transmitting mode.

The airline's operational standards and safety general manager, David Morgan, said today the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) had granted an exemption relating to the use of electronic devices in-flight.

Under this new policy, passengers will be able to use portable electronic devices, and those mobile phones and personal digital assistants (PDAs) which can be set to a non-transmitting flight mode.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3649973a11,00.html
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

Zkpilot

RE: NZ Gets Cellphone In-flight Exemption

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:28 pm

yeah... even though its only for phones and pdas with "flightmode" I bet you people will start using other phones!
Then again they don't really cause much of a problem.. I used to fly light twins with a cellphone on in my pocket... never affected anything except when receiving a txt msg caused that familiar noise in the headset... didn't do anything to VOR/DME, ADF etc
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

777ER
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:30 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 1):
even though its only for phones and pdas with "flightmode" I bet you people will start using other phones!

Thats true

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 1):
receiving a txt msg caused that familiar noise in the headset... didn't do anything to VOR/DME, ADF etc

Perfect way to know a txt is coming
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

AEROFAN

Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:34 am

hasn't AF been carrying out a test intra europe? does anyone have any news about how it's going

airnewzealand

Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:29 am

At Qantas we have had this system in place since June 05...
We make an announcement before the door is closed that if you have flight mode switch your mobile phone to this before switching it off for takeoff.

We at QF also allow passengers to use mobile phones once off the active runway and taxxing into the gate! I love it when we are still making anouncements and people are on the phone! Manners.... hehehe  Smile

Cheefrs

Zkpilot

Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:52 pm

Quoting Airnewzealand (Reply 4):
At Qantas we have had this system in place since June 05...
We make an announcement before the door is closed that if you have flight mode switch your mobile phone to this before switching it off for takeoff.

Yes and the CAA got quite sh*tty at QF for doing this because at the time it was actually illegal. The law has now been changed which is why NZ is doing this.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

goaliemn

Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:13 am

I've always been able to use my phone in flight with the transmitter off. The F/A's come through and will ask if its in a non-transmit mode. They even say that during the announcements..

Its not that way worldwide?

dj738

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:02 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 5):
Yes and the CAA got quite sh*tty at QF for doing this because at the time it was actually illegal.

This amuses me. If the law is the law, then why did the CAA only get "sh*tty" and not actually take some action against Jetconnect?

Does the CAA getting "sh*tty" constitute them issuing Jetconnect with some sort of warning? Because if they did, then it certainly wasn't heeded!