mah584jr

US Employees Stage Job Walkoff At PIT

Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:21 am

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_447871.html
http://www.timesonline.com/site/news...=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478569&rfi=6

New contract negotiations for PSA workers at PIT have come to a standstill. On 4/26 workers walked off the job for a few hours in PIT

ikramerica

RE: US Employees Stage Job Walkoff At PIT

Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:09 am

Organized strike while under a valid contract?

Should be suspended or fired for breach of contract.

I support your right to strike. But if you want the company to follow the rules of a contract, so must you. You can't strike while still working under a valid contract, even if the negotiations for a new contract are not to your liking.

Claimed it wasn't organized. Sorry, you can't get 95 people (or is it 73, which article is right?) to all do the same thing without some kind of organization...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

nkops

Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):
Should be suspended or fired for breach of contract

Agree... that sure isn't going to help negotiations!!! Just shooting yourself in the foot!!
:evil:

USPIT10L

Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:53 am

Should be suspended or fired for breach of contract.

I support your right to strike. But if you want the company to follow the rules of a contract, so must you. You can't strike while still working under a valid contract, even if the negotiations for a new contract are not to your liking.

Claimed it wasn't organized. Sorry, you can't get 95 people (or is it 73, which article is right?) to all do the same thing without some kind of organization...

They've been without a contract for almost five years. Get your facts straight! I hate it when the news media get the facts completely wrong. I know/knew at least ten people who worked for PSA. In fact, with all the attention mainline got about contracts, strikes and the like in the last three years, PSA has had articles written about them in one Pittsburgh paper, the Beaver County Times. Not once have I heard about PSA in the Post-Gazette or Tribune-Review.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

tooluther

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:13 am

It also wasn't an organized strike. It was simply workers who are frustrated and acted on it. The Teamsters and Management are still in active talks.

AirframeAS

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:31 am

They dont seem to have a dispute with US. Only with PSA which does contract work for US. The thread should be renamed "PSA Employees Stage a Job Walkoff at PIT"
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

SonOfACaptain

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 5):
The thread should be renamed "PSA Employees Stage a Job Walkoff at PIT"

YES.

US employees did not do this...PSA employees did this.

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

pgtravel

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:19 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 3):
They've been without a contract for almost five years. Get your facts straight! I hate it when the news media get the facts completely wrong.

Actually, I believe that under the Railway Labor Act, contracts never expire, they only become amenable. So, they are negotiating while still under the previous contract. Either way, a strike is illegal. If this was an organized union action, there could be severe financial penalties for the union. Since it looks to be more of a individual action, each individual will have to face their own penalties.

USPIT10L

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting Pgtravel (Reply 7):
Actually, I believe that under the Railway Labor Act, contracts never expire, they only become amenable. So, they are negotiating while still under the previous contract. Either way, a strike is illegal. If this was an organized union action, there could be severe financial penalties for the union. Since it looks to be more of a individual action, each individual will have to face their own penalties.

They've had slowdowns before, whether it be a "Safety Day" where every piece of ground equipment in sight is tagged "Out of Service" or other forms. They start at $6.77 an hour. That's the lowest start pay in the COUNTRY. I can't believe I almost accepted a job with these clowns. Luckily, it was a slow day yesterday, so it's not like a lot of people missed their flights.

wjcandee

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 3):
They've been without a contract for almost five years.

No they haven't. Not in this business. While the contract may have been amendable for five years, most contract negotiations call for retroactive pay adjustments that cover the period of amendability. Of course, given the current employment situation at airlines, having a job to go to may be seen by some as a blessing.

USPIT10L

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 9):
No they haven't. Not in this business. While the contract may have been amendable for five years, most contract negotiations call for retroactive pay adjustments that cover the period of amendability. Of course, given the current employment situation at airlines, having a job to go to may be seen by some as a blessing.

Please, I'd rather not argue about this. I can count on two hands the amount of people I've talked to and or know from PSA that I've either worked with at DGS or during my training at PSA. Yes they have worked five years without a current contract. The starting pay and top-out pay is still the same. The PSA gate and ramp agents are not represented by the IAM or TWU. Their union is the Teamsters.

gritzngravee

Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:04 am

Lock their asses up like the Mayor did to the Union leader of the MTA in NYC. He was just released this morning for good beahvior, he did 4 and a half days. I'm sure he will think twice about it the next time a contract is up for negotiation.

andrewuber

Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting Tooluther (Reply 4):
It also wasn't an organized strike. It was simply workers who are frustrated and acted on it. The Teamsters and Management are still in active talks.

What good can possibly come from walking off a job? Will that make management want to give them raises and more benefits?

If my boys walk - they can keep walking. Frustrated? Pop a Tylenol and get your ass back to work.
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

A330323X

Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:55 pm

Believe it or not, this was not organized. The union had nothing to do with it.

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 9):
most contract negotiations call for retroactive pay adjustments that cover the period of amendability.

This isn't one of them.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

mah584jr

Sun May 07, 2006 4:48 am

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news...=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478569&rfi=6

15 of the protesters were just fired for this walkout a week ago. It really is quite a shame.

jsposaune

Sun May 07, 2006 9:08 pm

Quoting Mah584jr (Reply 14):
15 of the protesters were just fired for this walkout a week ago. It really is quite a shame.

Yes, it is a shame that they performed an illegal job action by staging a wildcat strike, thus violating the Railway Labor Act!

...lucky there weren't more than 15 of 'em fired!

just my $.02
There are no stupid questions....only stupid people!!!

A330323X

Mon May 08, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting Jsposaune (Reply 15):
Yes, it is a shame that they performed an illegal job action by staging a wildcat strike, thus violating the Railway Labor Act!

...funny then, that a U.S. District Court Judge refused to issue an injunction that PSA requested barring the Teamsters from additional walkouts, finding instead that there was no evidence that the union had supported the first walkout.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.