charlipr

What Ever Happened To The Idea Of The New MEX!

Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:22 pm

I have not heard of any new developments on the new Mexico City airport lately. Is the project on hold after the protests, or will it be build somewhere else?

Xkorpyoh

RE: What Ever Happened To The Idea Of The New MEX!

Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:34 pm

after flying into/from MEX, I noticed that there is plenty of swamp land near/next to the airport. Have they ever considered expanding there to build a new airport? are there any limitations on this idea?
i know landfill is very unstable land for earthquake prone Mexico city, but the whole city is under the same spell as it was all built on a lake. If the "big one" does happen, I guess the whole city is screwed.
Meanwhile, MEX really needs a new modern terminal. For such a great city, i think MEX airport is a disgrace.

juventus

Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:28 am

The idea was dropped some 3 years ago. Politics, complaints, demonstrations, etc. It got ugly. I wish they would have build a new airport, but too much opposition made it impossible.

I think at this point, priority should be given to Toluca airport. The expansion and remodeling of TLC is very important to Mexican aviation. (Air Madrid said as soon as Toluca is upgraded, they'll probably make it a daily flight.)

SFOMEX

Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:58 am

They are building a brand new terminal 2 in MEX. It will open before the end of the Fox administration.

As Juventus said; MEX, TLC and a few other airports conform the "Sistema Metropolitano de Aeropuertos" or Metropolitan Airports System, which covers Mexico City and its suburbs.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

AR385

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting Charlipr (Thread starter):
What Ever Happened To The Idea Of The New MEX!

Atenco and Fox happened

ghost77

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:48 am

MEX has improved A LOT lately! What we now need is BIG or MORE investment @ TLC, PBC, CVJ and QET.

g77 APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

charlipr

Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:18 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
Atenco and Fox happened

What or who is Atenco?

Quoting Ghost77 (Reply 5):
MEX has improved A LOT lately! What we now need is BIG or MORE investment @ TLC, PBC, CVJ and QET.

Could the current site of TLC be a good place to build a new airport? Add another runway, built a nice HUGE terminal and close MEX. Have some sort of high-speed transportation from the TLC site to the city center? Just an idea!! Any thoughts?? QET looks very nice. Brand new airport with a nice long runway and a lot of ramp space! Is QET close enough to the city to make it a viable option to MEX and/or TLC???

juventus

Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:56 am

Like Ghost said, big investment into TLC is needed. I think an upgrade to TLC is very important because according to this article is already showing signs of congestion, while Interjet and Volaris have only begun to get their aircraft.

http://olganza.com/2006/03/14/regist...a-saturacion-aeropuerto-de-toluca/

What is going to happen when Interjet and Volaris get all of their aircraft on order? what about when Gol, Aerolineas Meso-Americanas and Viva Aerobus come on to the scene? TLC will be more congested than MEX. TLC needs to be worked on now. Maybe concentrate int'l ops. at MEX and domestic ops. at TLC, just like JFK and LaGuardia....just my opinion

wdleiser

Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:02 am

When I was there in March, I saw some advertisements around the airport talking about upgrades at MMX and other MEX airports.

anthsaun

Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:02 pm

Quoting Charlipr (Reply 6):
What or who is Atenco?

A community where the new airport was going to be built.

Could the current site of TLC be a good place to build a new airport? Add another runway, built a nice HUGE terminal and close MEX.

No way Jose!!! TLC is a very high altitude airport and off the city. Besides that, Mexico City is huge and having a single airport is not very comfortable. TLC is becoming a good option, but not the solution.

QET looks very nice. Brand new airport with a nice long runway and a lot of ramp space! Is QET close enough to the city to make it a viable option to MEX and/or TLC???

Queretaro is small and way too, too, too far from Mexico City (nearly two hundred miles away).
Over 80 years in business say a lot about success

captaink

Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:09 pm

Quoting Anthsaun (Reply 9):
Queretaro is small and way too, too, too far from Mexico City (nearly two hundred miles away).

A bus from the north of Mexico City to Querétaro takes about 2.5 hours. That is a bit far. But really, what are the airports considered to be part of the Metropolitan System of Airports? I would assume that CVJ, PBC and TLC would be them cuase of their proximity.

Does CVJ get any flights at all? What are their terminal facilities like? I mean i see the signs along the M95 (I think that is the motorway) pointing towards the airport, but I have never seen any airplanes heading there....
There is something special about planes....

SFOMEX

Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:01 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 10):
Does CVJ get any flights at all?

Cuernavaca used to be the hub of Aerolineas Internacionales. On its best years, CVJ also had a few AM flights (if I'm wrong on this, I hope some fellow a.netter would correct me).

Since Aerolineas Internacionales went belly up, CVJ doesn't get any scheduled flight.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

britmex

Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:37 pm

Hello:

Yes, Aeromexico operated some flights into CVJ about 2 years ago. I flew in that particular route TIJ-CVJ-HMO-TIJ. Since I got my private rating in school based there I still remember "instructing" the pilots on the VFR approach to CVJ in an MD-83. The tarmac was terrible and trying to walk while the aircraft was taxiing to the gate was almost impossible. AM left the route after some months and lengthy repair bills in undercarriage servicing and new tyres!!!

Anyway CVJ boasts new tarmac and a lengthened runway. Let`s hope the next thing is a radar and ILS.

cheers
Aeromexico, la linea aerea que va para arriba

pzurita1

Mon May 01, 2006 5:29 am

A Volar is flying 4x a week from Cuernavaca to Hermosillo and Tijuana.

PZ
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT