N587NK
Topic Author

Cocktail? That Will Be $5 With A Credit Card.....

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:32 pm

what are y'alls thoughts on that. Spirit has been doing credit card only for almost 2 years now.

I know other airlines do to...AirTran does and ATA is going to a cashless cabin.

As a customer do you feel it is fair to do that??

Most of our customers know we only accept credit cards, but once and a while you will get that customer that says "YOU DONT TAKE CASH?" no we sure dont, if i take it I'll get fired

How does everyone feel about it?

art

RE: Cocktail? That Will Be $5 With A Credit Card.....

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:00 pm

If it's a cheaper way of doing business and all passengers carry credit cards, why not?

It's a little unfortunate for people who have just lost/had their credit cards stolen, though. Some people need a drink after such an occurence. Would your airline make an exception for circumstances like this on compassionate grounds?

teva

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:02 pm

In some coutries, not accepting cash is simply not legal...
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

Daleaholic

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:05 pm

I think it's rather silly if you're not told before flying. Is this for alcoholic drinks only or is it for all drinks? If it's all drinks I think it's ridiculous.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

ClassicLover

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:10 pm

I don't see the problem, most people who are travelling will have at least one credit card somewhere. I can see how it would be easier than accepting cash, usually the F/As don't have much change and smart travellers offer to pay with big bills or foreign currency and will generally get a free drink  Smile
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

airtran737

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:40 pm

It's a great idea. By eliminating cash, or liquor revenue climbed by more than a $100,000 per month. Makes you wonder where that money was going to before doesn't it? Maybe the flight attendants pocket?
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

RobTrent

Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:01 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 5):
Maybe the flight attendants pocket?

That's a little harsh I think.
I am sure there are a number of reasons that could account for the losses one being the excessive charges made by banks for cash processing.

As for the credit card issue - I still think people should be able to pay with cash and not everyone has a credit card beleive it or not, particularly older folks.

Just my 2 pence worth !
Regards
R
T7 - You know it makes sense !

isitsafenow

RE: Cocktail? That Will Be $5 With A Credit Card..

Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting Teva (Reply 2):
n some coutries, not accepting cash is simply not legal...
Teva

...like the United States of America...unless there is an alternative i.e. check or credit card.
Perhaps too many F.A's were pocketing the cash. Perhaps too many pax were paying with twentys and there just wasn't enough change generated. Who knows why the carrier(s) want the cards only?
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

Zkpilot

Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting Teva (Reply 2):
Teva

I would have thought that was the law in most countries...
I know in New Zealand and Australia it is... Electronic transactions here are so widespread (we have one of the highest EFTPOS/ET penetration rates in the world) but cash is still Legal Tender and it is illegal to not accept cash as a payment (unless the cash is something like more than $10 worth of coins, or a large note is used and change is not available).
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

petmbro

Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:03 pm

I was actually wondering why other carriers don't already do this. I flew CO to Mexico a few weeks ago and I was going to buy a drink but I couldn't because I didn't have any cash on me. For people like me who usually don't carry cash and prefer to use their cards, I think allowing cards and cash together would give a few more people the opportunity to buy drinks while still allowing those people who like paying cash to do so.
"don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!" - Judge Judy

nwhpdtw

Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:06 pm

First, while bank charges for handling cash can be expensive, credit card processing fees are not necessarily much cheaper. See Wal-mart's disagreement with Mastercard from a few years back for a recent example of this.

Second, I don't know how the laws are exactly written, but could the airlines require customers wanting to use cash to buy a voucher or gift card on the ground to use in flight for services? It keeps the cash on the ground and still allows cash customers a way to get what they want. Just a thought.

art

Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:31 pm

Quoting NWHPDTW (Reply 10):
but could the airlines require customers wanting to use cash to buy a voucher or gift card on the ground to use in flight for services? It keeps the cash on the ground and still allows cash customers a way to get what they want. Just a thought.

It's a thought but it adds time for the customer and how does the customer know how much will be spent in advance of boarding? If a $20 voucher is bought and only $8 is used, how do you get the balance back without that taking more time at your destination?

srbmod

RE: Cocktail? That Will Be $5 With A Credit Card..

Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:39 pm

It's a great idea. By eliminating cash, or liquor revenue climbed by more than a $100,000 per month. Makes you wonder where that money was going to before doesn't it? Maybe the flight attendants pocket?

They probably also have better control over the liquor kits as well. When I worked at FL, a lot of times, there were sealed bags of liquor kits stuffed under the last row of seats on a/c with rear galleys. So if you were cleaning the cabin, and the crew had gotten off the a/c, you could easily snag these bags, put them in with your cleaning stuff, and walk off the a/c and put the liquor in your bag. Several of my friends had a shelf in their house full of the mini bottles from the liquor kits.

As for the cashless cabin system, at first, I didn't like the idea mainly because I didn't want paper copies of the imprint of my card floating around. I did relent and used it on a recent flight to LAS. I noticed the last time I flew on FL that if you use the Bye Pass kiosk to check in for a flight, you can purchase drink coupons. I wonder if the option will ever be made available for those checking in online or use a multi-airline check in kiosk (Some airports [Like LAS] do have self check in kiosks that allow you check in for a number of different airlines at a single kiosk. Saves you from having to roam around looking for your airlines' kiosk(s), especially if you get dropped off in the wrong spot.).

luv2fly

Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:41 pm

Quoting NWHPDTW (Reply 10):
Second, I don't know how the laws are exactly written, but could the airlines require customers wanting to use cash to buy a voucher or gift card on the ground to use in flight for services? It keeps the cash on the ground and still allows cash customers a way to get what they want. Just a thought.

CO has a function that allows you when checking in to buy coupons for on board purchases at the eticket machine. And the more you buy the cheaper they are.
You can cut the irony with a knife

lincoln

Mon May 01, 2006 12:16 am

I read somewhere that credit cards are among the least expensive form of payment to accept when things like bank charges, fraud, forgeries, bad checks, and counterfeit currency are factored in. [I think the breakdown was Credit, Gift Cards, Cash, Checks]

Quoting Art (Reply 11):
It's a thought but it adds time for the customer and how does the customer know how much will be spent in advance of boarding? If a $20 voucher is bought and only $8 is used, how do you get the balance back without that taking more time at your destination?

As alluded to in a previous post, Continental has "Continental Currency" that has a face value of $5 -- the more you buy the more of a discount you get, though -- and everything on board (headphones, alcohol) costs $5. They do accept cash, though, always with the emphatic "...and correct change is GREATLY appreciated..." announcement.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

FLYACYYZ

Mon May 01, 2006 1:03 am

No comment there, but you have to wonder. Considering that credit card companies tack on a "vendors" (processing) fee, you have to wonder where the extra $100,000 came from
Above and Beyond

Beaucaire

Mon May 01, 2006 1:22 am

Are there still american carriers who offer drinks free of charge in Y class ( like Air France..) ???
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

COERJ145

Mon May 01, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 16):
Are there still american carriers who offer drinks free of charge in Y class

Alcoholic?? NW offers those for free on transatlantic flights. Domestically? Not that I know of...

Beaucaire

Mon May 01, 2006 1:31 am

Some airlines in Europe still offer alcoholic drinks free of charge on international flights (KLM just have re-introduced free alcoholic beverages to be in-line with Air France policy)
I recall free drinks also on Turkish Airlines,Lufthansa,SAS,Swiss and TAP..
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

teva

Mon May 01, 2006 1:32 am

3 more questions for our American friends. In the USA:

- What's the legal age for kids to have cards ?
- What is the limit to travel as UM?
- If you are between those 2 ages, does it mean you cannot buy a drink on Aitran or Spirit?

Teva

tmarch291

Mon May 01, 2006 2:03 am

Teva to answer your questions,

1) I think its 18. Many kids however, have them below that age because they are registered to their parents.

2) It varies by airline I think. For most airlines a child can't travel un accompnaied below five. Ages five to fourteen require that the child must be looked after by a FA, and accompanied by a FA or airport personnel when changing planes. After age fifteen, the kid (teenager) is good to go by himself.

3) I believe that they would ask for photo ID if you look below 21.

BDL2DCA

Mon May 01, 2006 2:14 am

Quoting Teva (Reply 19):
- If you are between those 2 ages, does it mean you cannot buy a drink on Aitran or Spirit?

You have to be 18 to have a card in your own name, but your parents can sign you up for a "prepaid" credit card much younger.

However, the drinking age for alcoholic drinks in flight is 21 in the US. So there's no chance that someone would be too young to have a card and old enough to drink.

As to the limit for UMs, it varies by airlines.
146,319,320,321,333,343,722,732,733,734,735,73G,738,744,752,762,763,772,ARJ,BE1,CRJ,D9S,D10,DH8,ERJ,E70,F100,S80

teva

Mon May 01, 2006 2:21 am

Tmarch291,
I think you misunderstood my 3rd question.
Let's say you are 15, and travelling alone.
You are no longer a UM.
But you are too young to have a credit card,as per your reply.
What happens if you want to buy a coke? (because you finished those given by your mom?)
I think that this can happen to thousands of young people every year.
Teva

ikramerica

Mon May 01, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting Tmarch291 (Reply 20):
3) I believe that they would ask for photo ID if you look below 21.

Yes, they do, though I was served in F at 16 and 17 as I looked over 21 and I was in F. I wasn't asking to be served. I would ask for a bloody mary mix, and it would often come as a bloody mary. I would send it back, since I really wanted a bloody mary mix...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ScottB

Mon May 01, 2006 3:00 am

Quoting Teva (Reply 22):
You are no longer a UM.
What happens if you want to buy a coke?

It's not really relevant since most of the LCC's offer complimentary soft drinks, juice, coffee, etc. -- only alcoholic beverages carry an additional charge. Allegiant charges for soft drinks, I believe, but they're free on AirTran, Spirit, Southwest, etc.

N702ML

Mon May 01, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 16):
Are there still american carriers who offer drinks free of charge in Y class ( like Air France..) ???

For the next month or so, Southwest is giving away free alcohol on all flights leaving DAL. Not sure why they are doing so...but they must have a reAAson.  drunk 
The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Southwest Airlines.

wjcandee

Mon May 01, 2006 3:51 am

Quoting RobTrent (Reply 6):

Uh...no it isn't. Maybe a little more direct than some people are comfortable with, but the fact is that liquor money was getting skimmed in a significant way on at least one airline that I know of -- just as people try to get away with stuff in any business that involves cash.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 12):
They probably also have better control over the liquor kits as well.

Maybe they do, but that would have no effect on the *revenue* side, only the *consumption* or *cost* side. As I understand it, the *consumption* stayed the same while *revenue* (i.e. money collected) went up.

Cash can be a temptation for even basically-good people who you wouldn't expect to be the kinds of folks who would steal (a favorite cop phrase being "anyone is capable of anything", of course). But there are people who spend their whole day trying to figure out how to get over and take something that isn't theirs, and there are people who wouldn't go out of their way to take something, but who fall victim to temptation. I think the f/a's who skim liquor money are probably mostly basically-good people who are tempted by the cash. Put it all on cards and the problem goes away.

teva

Mon May 01, 2006 4:02 am

wow, you are lucky in the States!!!
In Europe, it's not Ryanair or Easyjet who are going to serve fre drinks !!!
Teva

SA7700

Mon May 01, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 26):
I think the f/a's who skim liquor money are probably mostly basically-good people who are tempted by the cash. Put it all on cards and the problem goes away.

What happened to basic accounting skills? If the value of the stock in the trolley does not match the cash or credit card slips, for beverages consumed during flight, once the plane docks; why not recover it from the specific f/a's salaries?

Whenever our bank deposit does not balance with the receipts and cash on hand, everybody in the office (handling cash) have to chip in to make up any missing money.
I would like to reiterate what previous posters said about credit cards - I have one credit card. Both my older brother and younger sister don't even have credit cards, simply because they have no use for it - they use debit cards. The South African population mostly withdraws cash from ATM's to pay for items or services, but are increasingly switching over to debit card (savings-or cheque card) payments, like in Australia and New Zealand.

So if you don't have a credit card and fly on Spirit, Air Tran, etc. that means you are slightly screwed. It seems senseless to me.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

ScottB

Mon May 01, 2006 4:49 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 28):
So if you don't have a credit card and fly on Spirit, Air Tran, etc. that means you are slightly screwed. It seems senseless to me.

Not really. In the U.S., most, if not all, debit cards can be processed through the credit card networks as well. The banks just prefer to have the charges processed through the debit card networks since the fees are lower. If you've got a debit card with a Visa or MasterCard logo, you can use it.

SA7700

Mon May 01, 2006 5:01 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 29):
Not really. In the U.S., most, if not all, debit cards can be processed through the credit card networks as well. The banks just prefer to have the charges processed through the debit card networks since the fees are lower. If you've got a debit card with a Visa or MasterCard logo, you can use it.

It works like that in South Africa as well. I presume these credit card terminals are portable, otherwise you have yet another problem getting pax to enter their PIN numbers, in order for the transactions to be completed.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

ha763

Mon May 01, 2006 5:07 am

What happens a lot of times is that a pax will order a drink and try to pay with a large bill and the FA will give them the drink and tell the pax that they will come back when they have change, but the FA will sometimes forget about the "free" drink they gave and not go back to the pax for the money.

Hawaiian also offers onboard transactions to be paid by credit cards. They have a hand-held device to swipe your card.

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 28):
Both my older brother and younger sister don't even have credit cards, simply because they have no use for it - they use debit cards.

In the USA, debit cards work exactly like credit cards since the banks partner with credit card companies to issue them. This allows for people to pay using their debit card everywhere credit cards are accepted. The only difference is that when using a debit card, the user has to enter their PIN.

ha763

Mon May 01, 2006 5:18 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 30):
I presume these credit card terminals are portable, otherwise you have yet another problem getting pax to enter their PIN numbers, in order for the transactions to be completed.

They are portable, but still have either a keypad or a touch screen to allow the person's PIN to be entered.

FlyKev
Crew

Mon May 01, 2006 5:34 am

Hmm right.
So Im 17, I have a Solo/Maestro debit card, can I pay? Im assuming not.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

wjcandee

Mon May 01, 2006 5:43 am

Quoting FlyKev (Reply 33):
Hmm right.

If you're 17, you're not going to be buying an alcoholic beverage anyway. The non-alcoholic beverages are all free, in unlimited quantity.

boeingguy1

Mon May 01, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting FlyKev (Reply 33):
Hmm right.

Well, assuming when youre 21, Yes, you can pay... Maestro is the network that MasterCard runs on.
Gatwick South! Id rather crash in Brighton!

tmarch291

Mon May 01, 2006 6:01 am

Quoting Teva (Reply 22):
Tmarch291,
I think you misunderstood my 3rd question.
You are no longer a UM.
What happens if you want to buy a coke? (because you finished those given by your mom?)
I think that this can happen to thousands of young people every year.
Teva

As some of the other folks mensioned, you don't need a credit card to buy a coke on most US airlines. For the ones that you do, I'm sure that they accept cash.

I personally believe that airlines should accept both cash and credit. It just makes it easier for the customer.

EA CO AS

Mon May 01, 2006 6:09 am

Quoting RobTrent (Reply 6):

Actually it's not. I have a friend who WAS (key word, here) a flight attendant for HP, and he routinely boasted of the money he and other flight attendants would skim from liquor and headset sales.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't like he was making car payments with this ill-gotten gain, but if you multiply it by all the daily flights he made - plus the many other flight attendants systemwide that skimmed a bit as well - and it adds up to a nice chunk of change.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

RobTrent

Mon May 01, 2006 6:11 am

Uh...no it isn't. Maybe a little more direct than some people are comfortable with, but the fact is that liquor money was getting skimmed in a significant way on at least one airline that I know of -- just as people try to get away with stuff in any business that involves cash.

As stated it was my opinion !
I do not like to form stereotype opinions.

Regards
R
T7 - You know it makes sense !

lredlefsen

Mon May 01, 2006 8:10 am

By eliminating cash, or liquor revenue climbed by more than a $100,000 per month.

So to put this number in perspective, we're talking 20k drinks worth of revenue (at $5/drink) in one month -- about 650 per day.

If AirTran has 200 flights a day, that means 3-4 drinks' worth of revenue "leaked" on each flight each day. That doesn't seem totally outrageous -- I wouldn't be surprised if there are about that many pax each flight who just don't have small bills, or whom the FAs "comp" because it's good customer service right then and there, etc.

As I understand it, the *consumption* stayed the same while *revenue* (i.e. money collected) went up.

I didn't see this (constant consumption) confirmed or contradicted, so another theory might be that by accepting only credit cards, the FAs are selling booze more quickly, and therefore have a chance to sell another round to pax so inclined...  Wink

Personally, I always like to have about $50 in $1's when I'm traveling, for tips, drinks, luggage carts, etc. etc. I'm always amazed that people who are happy to pay $3.75 for a non-fat decaf Frappaducci are shocked and outraged when they're asked to pay $5 for a decent bottle of vino...

lincoln

Mon May 01, 2006 9:08 am

Quoting Teva (Reply 19):
3 more questions for our American friends. In the USA:

- While some say that the limit for a credit card is 18, this can vary-- I knew people in high school who had cards (in their own name) since they were 16; depending on the issuer it can be exceptionally easy or astoundingly difficult to get a card at any age. (I had no use for a credit card in my own name until I turned 19*.

The other questions have already been answered

Quoting N702ML (Reply 25):
For the next month or so, Southwest is giving away free alcohol on all flights leaving DAL. Not sure why they are doing so...but they must have a reAAson.

Isn't this a nod to one of WN's original marketing polys? If I remember the story correctly, Braniff tried undercutting WN's fares in the early days; Southwest retaliated by offering a free fifth of liquor with any "full price" ticket -- business travelers, often on expense accounts, had no problem paying full fare (and enjoyed the 'kickback'), so for a period of time Southwest was the largest liquor distributor in the state. (I'm sure I have some part of that story screwed up -- it's been a long time since I've read Nuts!)

Lincoln

* I wound up having a discussion with my bank along the lines of "You can see my balance in savings is around $35,000, right? (Yes) And It's only gone up in the past 6 months, right? (Yes) Ok, then, either you can issue a card with a reasonable credit limit, or I will take my business to a bank that respects me." Two weeks later, I had a card.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

ClearedDirect

Mon May 01, 2006 9:26 am

I imagine another possibility for the increased revenue from liquor sales is that now you can 'run a tab'. Before you may have been limited by the amount of cash you had - now that is not a problem. This was the case for me recently.

CD

kaneporta1

Mon May 01, 2006 9:59 am

I think it's a clever ploy for airlines to save fuel. Instead of passengers carrying all those heavy quarter and dollar coins and FAs carrying change, now it's just one little piece of plastic... Wink
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

NASBWI

Mon May 01, 2006 12:19 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 37):
I have a friend who WAS (key word, here) a flight attendant for HP, and he routinely boasted of the money he and other flight attendants would skim from liquor and headset sales.

Which would *probably* explain the "was". $100,000 less over the course of a month of flying is not really that much. Yes, there are some who are crafty and untrustworthy who would pocket the liquor money. However, many many more of us actually *do* comp drinks, depending on the situation. Today I comped 2 beers for a couple flying with us. Now, that's $10 right there. How many other FA's for my airline alone did that - on one flight (much less one day of flying)? $100,000 isn't really that impossible through genuine complimentary servings - not to mention that at my airline, we offer a promotion that, for those who qualify, we give them a complimentary alcoholic beverage. It adds up.
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

777STL

Mon May 01, 2006 12:23 pm

The *ONLY* time I ever carry cash is to buy alcohol, on planes and otherwise. I think it's rather amazing that in this day and age, it's taken airlines this long to adopt the idea.
PHX based

qqflyboy

Mon May 01, 2006 12:27 pm

Tomorrow AA will roll out its new OSR or "Onboard Sales Recorder." The device will be used not only to accept debit and credit cards, but will also keep track of cash sales transactions. It will be rolled out on 762s first between LAX, SFO and JFK. Two weeks later it will be introduced on 763 and 777 aircraft, followed by the A300. Then it will move to the narrowbody fleet. Full rollout should be complete within six weeks or mid June.

Not only will the device be used to track total sales but it will eliminate the need for HIDEP entries. HIDEP is the system used to record deposit information in SABRE. The new OSR will wirelessly communicate the sales information apon arrival in a US city.

AA is currently working with DFASS, our duty free vendor, to utilize the OSR for duty free purchases. It is hoped to have this in place by the end of the year. The new OSR also has bar code scanning capabilities which will come into play with duty free. The new machine can print receipts for passengers and can also assist flight attendants with processing refunds.

In addition to onboard sales, the device is also capable of keeping portions of the inflight manual stored on it, and may also incorporate a flight attendant reporting function which is currently done on paper and through the internet. The entire project is being heavily sponsored by American Express which is helping to keep the cost to a minimum for American. Not only is the Amex logo on the device itself, it will be printed on receipts given to customers. However, the device will accept most major credit cards and debit cards with a Visa/MC logo on them.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

EA CO AS

Mon May 01, 2006 3:54 pm

Quoting NASBWI (Reply 43):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 37):
I have a friend who WAS (key word, here) a flight attendant for HP, and he routinely boasted of the money he and other flight attendants would skim from liquor and headset sales.

Which would *probably* explain the "was".

Actually, it was his attendance - or lack thereof - that brought the hammer down. Somehow HP's corporate security never caught him.

Great guy, really...but when he asked me to give him a recommendation to our HR people for an inflight job I had to decline.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

YLWbased

Mon May 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Quoting Teva (Reply 2):

In Hong Kong, Not accepting Hong Kong Dollars is a SERIOUS OFFENCE
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

rolfen

Mon May 01, 2006 6:20 pm

If anything it shows how much they care about the customer.
rolf

Pyrex

Mon May 01, 2006 11:55 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 14):
I read somewhere that credit cards are among the least expensive form of payment to accept when things like bank charges, fraud, forgeries, bad checks, and counterfeit currency are factored in. [I think the breakdown was Credit, Gift Cards, Cash, Checks]

Actually, it usually works like this: cash is the most expensive form of payment overall. However, as most of the costs are incurred by either the banks (transport, safety, etc.) or the National Reserve (printing, coining, etc.) it is the cheapest form of payment for the consumer (and most companies as well). Income made with debit/credit cards usually subsidizes the banks for the loss, at the expense of the merchants.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!