noelg

NZ New Livery?

Mon May 01, 2006 3:11 pm

Hi all

Does anyone know if the new NZ livery will include updated titles? I ask because we flew down from AKL-PMR today and not only were there signs with the old "Air New Zealand" titles (i.e. italics like the old colour scheme) at AKL, which you could always put down to just not being updated, but also our baggage tags and receipts both had "Air New Zealand" written in the old font!

Is this a secret revival or just seriously outdated computer systems?

Cheers,
Noel

Pulkovokiwi

NZ New Livery?

Mon May 01, 2006 3:51 pm

At CHC two weeks ago the plastic transit cards still had a logo from 25 years ago and TE flight designation. Waste not want not.
I thought I was wrong but I was only joking!

noelg

NZ New Livery?

Mon May 01, 2006 5:03 pm

Quoting Pulkovokiwi (Reply 1):
At CHC two weeks ago the plastic transit cards still had a logo from 25 years ago and TE flight designation. Waste not want not.

I see what you mean, but the logos on the baggage tags are actually printed straight off the computer at the check in desk (the sticky ones the check in agent puts around the handle of your bag). I guess it is pretty simple to change an image on a check in computer/printer?

Like I say I can imagine the signs probably are just old ones being used, but I thought it was strange that something printed today had the old logo on!

Noel

ZKNEA

NZ New Livery?

Mon May 01, 2006 6:54 pm

I'm pretty sure it happens most the time, well by that I mean I just checked all my suitcases and they all have the old NZ titles printed on the baggage tags and am pretty sure most I've had, when I notice them, are like this. Don't know why. (That was a flight from CHC-WLG by the way).

Zkpilot

NZ New Livery?

Mon May 01, 2006 8:40 pm

Quoting Noelg (Thread starter):
Hi all

Does anyone know if the new NZ livery will include updated titles? I ask because we flew down from AKL-PMR today and not only were there signs with the old "Air New Zealand" titles (i.e. italics like the old colour scheme) at AKL, which you could always put down to just not being updated, but also our baggage tags and receipts both had "Air New Zealand" written in the old font!

Is this a secret revival or just seriously outdated computer systems?

Cheers,
Noel

No the new livery is with the Upper Case Lettering... as seen by the new livery in airports, on advertisements etc.
It is just outdated software systems.... the DCS (Departure Control System ie checkin system) goes back to the 70's... there were even old green screens at some stations until about 6 months ago! That software has since been migrated to modern computers with LCD's etc.
Aparently NZ is looking at updating the software with the new Star Alliance system that I think AC and UA have implemented.. or they may wait a bit longer because aparently IATA has some new plans in place to standardise a lot of things for airlines... ie standardised reservations systems, checkin systems, tags, RF chips (not sure how that will go down being on a/c and all lol). Bag tags printed in AKL for intl flights don't even have the NZ logo on them (not sure why), some places have the new Upper case and others have the old italicised lower case.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

NZ1
Crew

NZ New Livery?

Mon May 01, 2006 8:47 pm

You won't have to wait too much longer to see the new livery.... Smile

NZ1
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

azza40

NZ New Livery?

Mon May 01, 2006 8:59 pm

when is the livery getting revealed??

Aaron  sly 
Not been on here for a good 2/3 years!

NZ1
Crew

NZ New Livery?

Mon May 01, 2006 9:18 pm

I am not allowed to reveal that yet. Its not TOO far away though.

NZ1
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

RobK

NZ New Livery?

Mon May 01, 2006 9:42 pm

ZK-OKE is at PAE in full OLD livery, just in case anyone thinks it'll be on that.

R

azza40

NZ New Livery?

Mon May 01, 2006 10:19 pm

NZ1,
1. do you know what the livery looks like?
2. will it be revealed in an image or will it just be rolled straight out of the paint shop?

Aaron  sly 
Not been on here for a good 2/3 years!

777ER
Crew

NZ New Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 4:30 am

Quoting Azza40 (Reply 9):
NZ1,

NZ1 has seen the new livery design
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

777ER
Crew

NZ New Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 4:31 am

At this stage NZ domestic will see the new livery first on a B733
Head Forum Moderator

Zkpilot

NZ New Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 8:41 am

Quoting Pulkovokiwi (Reply 1):

lol yes they are funny... I think CHC is the only place NZ wise that uses them I have a souvenier TE one  Wink

NZ1
Crew

NZ New Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 10:27 am

Quoting Azza40 (Reply 9):
NZ1,
2. will it be revealed in an image or will it just be rolled straight out of the paint shop?

1. Yes I do, looks great IMHO
2. Not sure what the plan is yet, whether it will be unveiled to the media first, or just revealed on an aircraft.

NZ1
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

rongotai

NZ New Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 12:17 pm

When it is revealed watch out for grumpy Wellingtonians - the local paper has already had a cartoon where the livery consists of the Koru turned sideways to make Kangaroo legs.

777ER
Crew

NZ New Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 5:20 pm

Quoting Rongotai (Reply 14):
When it is revealed watch out for grumpy Wellingtonians - the local paper has already had a cartoon where the livery consists of the Koru turned sideways to make Kangaroo legs.

That cartoon is now a few years old. It was first used when the NZ and QF deal was announced a few years ago.
Head Forum Moderator

EZYAirbus

NZ New Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 7:37 pm

http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

NZFan

NZ New Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 7:57 pm

Quoting EZYAirbus (Reply 16):

Another UPS livery! I personally think that the silver fern is over-used. If you live in NZ you'll see it on every second car, truck, logo, etc... That's why I much prefer the Koru which is just such a beautiful design with real meaning to it

PM

NZ New Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 7:59 pm

I like this livery for NZ

Wow! So do I!

Zkpilot

NZ New Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 8:27 pm

Thats a very nice livery!!! friggin awesome in fact!  Smile
but yeah Air New Zealand is the koru... always has been...
I still think that the New Zealand flag should be the silver fern however!

NZFan

NZ New Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 8:40 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 19):
I still think that the New Zealand flag should be the silver fern however

Well I would say anything but that horrible flag that people always mix up with other flags such as the australian one!

Magyarorszag

NZ New Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 9:26 pm

I like this livery for NZ

So do I.

Ahum!
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bob leask

You sure?  wave 

Quoting NZFan (Reply 20):
Well I would say anything but that horrible flag that people always mix up with other flags such as the australian one!

People perhaps mix up the Kiwi flag with the Aussie one, but I still think that both are beautiful!

NZ1
Crew

NZ New Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 9:39 pm

I have to admit, that the livery from the link above looks awesome. And I honestly think it may even be better than what is proposed for the NZ fleet. Pity management didn't trawl that site, and contact the owner for permission to use it.... Smile

NZ1
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

MaverickM11

RE: NZ New Livery?

Tue May 02, 2006 10:59 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 10):

Wait, why the new livery again?
E pur si muove -Galileo

EK413

Tue May 02, 2006 11:16 pm

MaverickM11

I was going to ask the same question!!! I like the current livery....

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

eikiwi

Wed May 03, 2006 12:51 am

Gday ..

Thats a very nice livery!!! friggin awesome in fact!
I still think that the New Zealand flag should be the silver fern however!

I'll second all of that!!

Btw, wasn't it back in only 98 or 99 that the livery was changed to the Pacific Wave theme??

It just seems a very short time to stick with one livery. It'll be good to see the new one though. Can't wait. Hope it isn't too far off.....

eikiwi.
NPC to IVC

777ER
Crew

Wed May 03, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 23):

Well with the big changes happening, new aircrafts, new uniforms etc. It most likly wouldnt be right not to change the livery. All it will be, is a little change from the livery, not a complete change like in the early 90s
Head Forum Moderator

NZ1
Crew

Wed May 03, 2006 9:18 am

Quoting Eikiwi (Reply 25):
Btw, wasn't it back in only 98 or 99 that the livery was changed to the Pacific Wave theme??

It was in fact late 95 early 96 when it was introduced, so its been around 10 years now.

NZ1
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

aerokiwi

Wed May 03, 2006 10:57 am

Quoting NZFan (Reply 17):
Another UPS livery! I personally think that the silver fern is over-used. If you live in NZ you'll see it on every second car, truck, logo, etc... That's why I much prefer the Koru which is just such a beautiful design with real meaning to it

Yes but at least the silver fern has a little bit more meaning than the "Pacific Wave", which is just about the biggest wuss-fest of an emblem I've ever seen.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 23):

Excellent question.

In these supposedly tough financial times that necessitate excessive anticompetitive behaviour (Tasman llink with QF) and with absolutely no demand for the image to be updated (the livery was made so bland that it would stand the test of time), I'm still curious to see how NZ management justify this image "revision", which includes the uniforms, airport signage, stationery etc.

Clearly times aren't so tough afterall.

NZ1
Crew

Wed May 03, 2006 11:37 am

Quoting Aerokiwi (Reply 28):
"Pacific Wave", which is just about the biggest wuss-fest of an emblem I've ever seen.

I'll agree with you on that. Its more like the Pathetic Wave.

NZ1
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

TG992

Wed May 03, 2006 12:26 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 4):
No the new livery is with the Upper Case Lettering... as seen by the new livery in airports, on advertisements etc.
It is just outdated software systems.... the DCS (Departure Control System ie checkin system) goes back to the 70's... there were even old green screens at some stations until about 6 months ago! That software has since been migrated to modern computers with LCD's etc.
Aparently NZ is looking at updating the software with the new Star Alliance system that I think AC and UA have implemented.. or they may wait a bit longer because aparently IATA has some new plans in place to standardise a lot of things for airlines... ie standardised reservations systems, checkin systems, tags, RF chips (not sure how that will go down being on a/c and all lol). Bag tags printed in AKL for intl flights don't even have the NZ logo on them (not sure why), some places have the new Upper case and others have the old italicised lower case.

Green screens are still used! The new software you are talking about is the Amadeus system which all airlines will have to use. a few years ago ANZ looked at going to Amadeus (I think when the QF merger came out) and the cost was estimated at $100M to switch so it was but on hold. Carina has been signed off to be used untill at least 2013! I've also been told we might look at this again in about 3-5 years but I guess it will depend on Star Alliance pressure.

Quoting NZFan (Reply 17):

Try this then
http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...earch/photo_search.php?id=00005409
-

Zkpilot

Wed May 03, 2006 1:03 pm

Quoting Magyarorszag (Reply 21):

Ahum!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob leask

You sure?

well at least as long as I have been alive it has... :P
I guess that picture was in the days prior to ANZ and NAC merging...

Quoting TG992 (Reply 30):
Green screens are still used!

who's still using green screens? I remember looking at the korunet must have been about 6months to a year ago saying that they were all going to be replaced by a certain date... which would have been at least a few months ago...
checkin, service control, loadcontrol, reservations all changed either a long time ago in some cases or at least a few months ago in others. Not too sure about outstations like KKE, INV etc but they were all sposed to be changed too. Green screens were too expensive to maintain, and it was an OSH issue (radiation and eyestrain).

TG992

Wed May 03, 2006 1:14 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 31):
who's still using green screens? I remember looking at the korunet must have been about 6months to a year ago saying that they were all going to be replaced by a certain date... which would have been at least a few months ago...
checkin, service control, loadcontrol, reservations all changed either a long time ago in some cases or at least a few months ago in others. Not too sure about outstations like KKE, INV etc but they were all sposed to be changed too. Green screens were too expensive to maintain, and it was an OSH issue (radiation and eyestrain).

A few people up around level 8 in DTH still use them. I think a lot is by choice, I've also seen a few out the back at AKL airport.
-

Zkpilot

Wed May 03, 2006 1:29 pm

Quoting TG992 (Reply 32):
A few people up around level 8 in DTH still use them. I think a lot is by choice, I've also seen a few out the back at AKL airport.

go DTH! haha
as for the AKL airport ones... they have a couple still plugged in I think just for people to print off arrivals/departures lists but even those have been replaced by new computers... service control (out the back at AKL use new computers), as does load control (not out the back anymore...they are over by the back BNZ next to McD's)... what is old however is everything out the back at AKL... needs a refurbishment! The arrivals level of the pier needs to be refurbished also to match the departures level. Downstairs underneath the pier is 60's/70's styles... is like going through a timewarp.

Mr AirNZ

Wed May 03, 2006 1:43 pm

RAR still has Green Screens

darenw

Wed May 03, 2006 2:19 pm

NZFan

Wed May 03, 2006 8:08 pm

Quoting TG992 (Reply 30):
Try this then
http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...05409

Now that is one good looking plane!

eikiwi

Wed May 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Quoting NZ1 (Reply 27):
It was in fact late 95 early 96 when it was introduced, so its been around 10 years now.

Jeez, time flies!! My humble apologies!

eikiwi
NPC to IVC

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos