tockeyhockey

Why Is It Called Airbus?

Tue May 02, 2006 10:30 am

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the US, the word "bus" has a very negative connotation. A bus is considered a terrible way to travel -- it's cramped, slow, dirty, and filled with, dirty, stinky, poor people.

Why would Airbus create a name that connotates all of these things?

What was the thought process at the time they named the company?

Does "bus" mean something different in Europe?

hawaii12

RE: Why Is It Called Airbus?

Tue May 02, 2006 10:41 am

Airbus was formed in 1970 as a consortium of France's Aerospatiale and Deutsche Airbus. I suppose those in charge wanted to keep the legacy alive of the prior companies and Airbus was the most universal name.
That said, it guess the same question can be asked about Deutsche Airbus.......
go oilers.

petmbro

Tue May 02, 2006 10:44 am

Quoting Tockeyhockey (Thread starter):
I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the US, the word "bus" has a very negative connotation. A bus is considered a terrible way to travel -- it's cramped, slow, dirty, and filled with, dirty, stinky, poor people.

This obviously has nothing to do with it but when you enter a coach bus, the seat layout is similar to that of a commercial jet. Although if you add noisy to the list of adjectives then you've basically just described what an Airbus is.

[Edited 2006-05-02 03:45:46]
"don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!" - Judge Judy

dogfighter2111

Tue May 02, 2006 10:46 am

Again, this may not have anything to do with it but:

A Bus is a mode of Transport, and an AIRcraft is a mode of transport. Put them both together and you get Airbus.

Thanks
Mike

dtwclipper

Tue May 02, 2006 10:48 am

Why Is It Called Airbus?

Because Boeing was already taken Big grin  Big grin  Big grin
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

col

Tue May 02, 2006 10:49 am

Many things have different meanings globally. In Asia for instance an Airline means good service, quality and a pleasant experience. In the US it means the opposite  Silly

Going on a bus in Taiwan is different than getting a bus in Springfield, MA. In Taiwan you get a movie, water and recling seats. In Springfield you get what you say in the thread start.

So yes it depends where you are.

In Europe you would be scared to go on a Boeing, as this sounds like there is a lot of flexing going on  pray 

BDL2DCA

Tue May 02, 2006 11:00 am

Quoting Col (Reply 5):
Going on a bus in Taiwan is different than getting a bus in Springfield, MA.

What, you got a problem with Peter Pan?  box 
146,319,320,321,333,343,722,732,733,734,735,73G,738,744,752,762,763,772,ARJ,BE1,CRJ,D9S,D10,DH8,ERJ,E70,F100,S80

steeler83

Tue May 02, 2006 11:07 am

Is it just a figment of my imagination, or was there another thread about this topic already???
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

clickhappy

Tue May 02, 2006 11:09 am

Didn't American Airlines 'invent' the term 'airbus' when shopping for what eventually became the L1011 and DC-10?

Areopagus

Tue May 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 8):
Didn't American Airlines 'invent' the term 'airbus' when shopping for what eventually became the L1011 and DC-10?

I believe you are right. I certainly remember the term "airbus" applied as a generic term to the L-1011 and DC-10 before I ever heard of Airbus Industrie. The idea was that the widebody jets would make flying more affordable for the masses.

NAV20

Tue May 02, 2006 2:03 pm

It had to be an 'international' name to suit all the nations involved. That problem had been encountered before - British public opinion nearly staged a re-run of the Napoleonic Wars when the French insisted on adding an 'e' to Concord as a condition of their participation.

I agree that 'bus' is normally a 'down'-word in marketing terms. But given that Airbus has enjoyed a large measure of commercial success until recently, I reckon the name achieved its objective and worked well for a long time.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

NZ767

Tue May 02, 2006 2:19 pm

That may be the case in the US and yes, I've travelled on your Tour "buses" and they're pretty basic.
I run a long distance "coach" company here in NZ as in Asia and throughout Europe, my vehicles are fitted with video/dvd units, rest rooms, reclining seats, air con sitting atop 400hp of pure grunt. It is considered the way to travel here especially between the smaller cities where airfares can be quire restrictive. Not slow. Not dirty and not too many dirty stinky poor people either Smile
Anyway, Airbus is short and catchy and a well recognised brand nowadays.

bestpilot

Tue May 02, 2006 2:39 pm

It's really fun when you're on a band tour bus with a bunch of hot girls*.  bigthumbsup 

*girls meaning young women of 18 or more years in age

columba

Tue May 02, 2006 2:57 pm

There was a similar thread a few weeks ago, where I also addedthe following:
As Lufthansa got its first 707 and the 727 were on the merge they had to find a good use for their Lockheed Super Constellations -on transatlantic routes they were out dated.
So they started a FRA-HAM service with on board ticket sale, no service and offered these tickets for really low fares.
Since it was as easy as going by bus, they called it "Airbus-Service".
The service was stopped not much later due to the intervention of the Deutsche Bahn (German railroad company) because it was too much of a competition for them and both Lufthansa and Deutsche Bahn were State owned by that time.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

NZ767

Tue May 02, 2006 4:57 pm

Getting a bit off topic here but didn't Freddie Laker's Skytrain work in a similar way?

solnabo

Tue May 02, 2006 6:15 pm

IIRC there was a airliner in US that was called Jetbus in the 80´s, maybe NW commuter a/c. I saw it in Seattle, the letters was on the engines (727 n DC-9)

Maybe I´m wrong here but I remembered the name Jetbus.

Micke//SWE  Confused
Airbus SAS - Love them both

art

Tue May 02, 2006 7:19 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 10):
That problem had been encountered before - British public opinion nearly staged a re-run of the Napoleonic Wars when the French insisted on adding an 'e' to Concord as a condition of their participation.

I don't think you're on the mark on this one, Nav20. The francophone and anglophone versions of the word were both used in the early years of the programme. At the rollout of 001 at Toulouse British technology minister Anthony Wedgwood Benn announced that the British aircraft would also be called Concorde. The "e", he said, stood for "excellence, England, Europe and entente".

[Edited 2006-05-02 12:22:45]

[Edited 2006-05-02 12:23:47]

vinniewinnie

Tue May 02, 2006 7:51 pm

And why is Boeing called Boeing? this question has puzzled my mind a few days ago but I had since forgotten about it! Now that you have raised the question for Airbus it suddently came back to my mind...

Can think of Boo Inc but that reminds me of Monsters INC the movie  Wink

sk601

Tue May 02, 2006 7:55 pm

Quoting VinnieWinnie (Reply 17):
And why is Boeing called Boeing?

One of its founders was William E. Boeing. See www.boeing.com

dazeflight

Tue May 02, 2006 8:02 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 10):
But given that Airbus has enjoyed a large measure of commercial success until recently [...]

Oh, you mean, until they sold more than 1000 planes last year? You got issues, serious issues.

NAV20

Tue May 02, 2006 8:18 pm

Quoting Art (Reply 16):
don't think you're on the mark on this one, Nav20.

With respect, Art, I am. The argument raged (a better word is probably 'smouldered') for five years or more before it was finally settled.

http://www.englishtimes.net/trans.htm

Wedgwood-Benn played a pretty honourable part in the Concord(e) affair. Apart from settling the naming dispute he also, as the relevant Minister, faced facts and ended the loss-making production programme once all hope was lost. Beyond that, he travelled down to Bristol and personally explained the decision to the aerospace workers concerned. His action was all the more courageous because Bristol was actually his own parliamentary constituency.

As a matter of personal recollection, I was living and working in London at the time and had a French girlfriend who lived on the South Coast. She used to travel up to London on Friday evenings - I was in an office on the South Bank and she used to hate meeting me at 'Waterloo Station' after work, because of what Waterloo symbolised to the French.

Came the time that I was transferred to an office off Whitehall and we were on the phone fixing a different rendezvous. Im afraid that I couldn't resist the temptation to suggest Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square.........

[Edited 2006-05-02 13:23:31]
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

naritaflyer

Tue May 02, 2006 11:39 pm

Not to be cocky here but all the world doesn't see things the way Americans do. In fact, "bus" could have a very positive connotation in Japan. So your description of a "negative connotation" I believe may be unique to the third world of the United States of America.

Just kidding....

Airbus is a universal word that could be understood everywhere and passes for French as well.

columba

Wed May 03, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting Naritaflyer (Reply 21):
Airbus is a universal word that could be understood everywhere and passes for French as well.

Correctly you refer to it as "l ´Airbus"  Wink
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

tockeyhockey

Wed May 03, 2006 2:00 am

Not to be cocky here but all the world doesn't see things the way Americans do. In fact, "bus" could have a very positive connotation in Japan. So your description of a "negative connotation" I believe may be unique to the third world of the United States of America.

stupid comment.

part of the reason for my post was to try to understand the other connotations for "bus" throughout the world. the whole reason i posted was because i'm sure that bus doesn't have the connotation in the US that it does in europe, but i wasn't sure why.

thanks for showing your intellectualy inflexibility!

breiz

Wed May 03, 2006 2:29 am

Does "bus" mean something different in Europe?

Already 22 posts without much of an answer.
I have always believe that the Europeans had to find a name starting with A in order to be listed before Boeing in the telephone directory. So when airline CEOs would look for airliner manufacturers, they would find Airbus first  Smile

It looks like that the origin of the word may be traced back to July 65 when a group of German industrialists started a study entity named "Studienbüro Airbus" for a 200/225-seater.
In October 65, a meeting took place in London, gathering airlines, aircraft and engine manufacturers to discuss prospective requirements.
A new concept, opposite to Concorde, of larger capacity (200 pax) short/medium-haul aircraft, referred to as an "aerobus", or an "air bus"(in two words), was debated. This concept was based on the German study, supported by their British and French counterparts.
In 67, the "Studienbüro Airbus" became the "Arbeitsgemeinshaft Airbus", the front runner of "Deutsche Airbus".
At the same time, some of the preliminary studies evolved into a 300-seater and Sud Aviation started to refer to it as the A-300 or A.300 (no Airbus).
In 68 the German, British and French partners decided on a name for the organization which would look after the plane: "Airbus International".
In 68 came along a revised design named A300B (A250 was rejected) for a 250-seater.
In 69, the new organization was given the legal form of a French G.I.E. (Groupement d'Intérêt Économique - Group of Economical Interest) and was re-named "Airbus Industrie".

naritaflyer

Wed May 03, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting Tockeyhockey (Reply 23):
stupid comment.

part of the reason for my post was to try to understand the other connotations for "bus" throughout the world. the whole reason i posted was because i'm sure that bus doesn't have the connotation in the US that it does in europe, but i wasn't sure why.

I think you are reading too much into it. Breiz seems to have the answer. the connotation you are referring to probably never even figured out in the discussions when chosing the name because "bus" has no negative connotation. They were probably just trying to find a name that describes air transportation equipment that would be acceptable in many languages, thus Airbus. I think the thread which you started might be... shall we say... stupid.

deltadc9

Wed May 03, 2006 2:52 am

Quoting Bestpilot (Reply 12):
It's really fun when you're on a band tour bus with a bunch of hot girls*.

Don't forget the Playboy Channel, no tour bus is complete without DirecTV. Big grin

So your description of a "negative connotation" I believe may be unique to the third world of the United States of America.

His question is valid, here in the US it does have a bad connotation. Seeing that the US is half the entire aviation market, you would expect that to at least be a consideration. It would be interesting to know the details of the name decision, and if how it was perceived in the US was taken into consideration.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

naritaflyer

Wed May 03, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 26):
His question is valid, here in the US it does have a bad connotation. Seeing that the US is half the entire aviation market, you would expect that to at least be a consideration.

I dispute your claim that the US is half the airline industry (it may be close bad declining very fast), but regardless, even if your claim is right, the success Airbus has had is proof that it doesn't matter what Americans think of the name.

GDB

Wed May 03, 2006 3:30 am

Clickhappy is right.
In the mid '60's the term 'Airbus' was banded around as a generic term for proposed new short/medium range airliners, widebodied, with the new high bypass engines.

An AA executive drew such an aircraft in 1966, while, yet again, stuck in a stack. Such a new aircraft was seen as a cure for the then fast rising air traffic.

As it turned out, L1011 and DC-10 were trijets.
But a European consortium were planning a widebody twin.....the rest is history.

However, as late as 1972, Boeing would call the 747SR the 'Super Airbus', as it was a large short hauler, even painted such a title on a 747 for an airborne photo-shoot.

So, all this stuff about political motivations are wrong headed, the truth was within the industry itself, not outside.

Same with the 'e' on Concorde-a huge fuss was not made, none has been recorded in official histories of the aircraft, it's another 'outside' thing.
Considering this first ever multi national airliner had UK parts built in Imperial measures, the French in metric, then fitted together, I have a doubt an 'e' on the name was a huge issue.

[Edited 2006-05-02 20:45:14]

irobertson

Wed May 03, 2006 3:35 am

Buses are disgusting stinky dirty and traveled by poor people?? What? If you're referring to city transit buses, the gas prices are forcing plenty of not-so-poor people to take the bus. Plus the long distance coaches are generally well kept and comfortable. I have little issue with buses.

I find it amusing at how the true transit buses of the air aka. Ryanair's 737s are made by Boeing and not Airbus.

JohnJ

Wed May 03, 2006 3:52 am

When I was a kid I was the proud owner of the model kit shown below, produced in 1973:

deltadc9

Wed May 03, 2006 4:29 am

Quoting Irobertson (Reply 29):
Buses are disgusting stinky dirty and traveled by poor people?? What?

Never been on a Greyhound or in a Greyhound terminal I suspect.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

deltadc9

Wed May 03, 2006 4:32 am

Quoting Naritaflyer (Reply 27):
I dispute your claim that the US is half the airline industry (it may be close bad declining very fast), but regardless, even if your claim is right, the success Airbus has had is proof that it doesn't matter what Americans think of the name.

The success of Airbus in the US and Japanese market is not so good now is it?

As for the half thing, thats pretty well known, but never have I heard that air traffic is declining in the US or growing at a slower rate than abroad.

fraspotter

Wed May 03, 2006 4:35 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 31):
Never been on a Greyhound or in a Greyhound terminal I suspect.

The Houston Main Bus Terminal does come to mind...
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

tockeyhockey

Wed May 03, 2006 4:42 am

Quoting Naritaflyer (Reply 25):
I think you are reading too much into it. Breiz seems to have the answer. the connotation you are referring to probably never even figured out in the discussions when chosing the name because "bus" has no negative connotation. They were probably just trying to find a name that describes air transportation equipment that would be acceptable in many languages, thus Airbus. I think the thread which you started might be... shall we say... stupid.

i'm not reading anything into it. that's why i asked the question.

i'm just curious about it, and it seems that dozens of other airnetters are as well.

why don't you go crap on someone else's thread? you've already misrepresented and misunderstood two posts in this one. we don't need you here any more.

naritaflyer

Wed May 03, 2006 4:46 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 32):
The success of Airbus in the US and Japanese market is not so good now is it?

As for the half thing, thats pretty well known, but never have I heard that air traffic is declining in the US or growing at a slower rate than abroad.

This may be for a different thread but the fact that Japan always buys Boeing has nothing to do with the merit of the aircraft. ANA, JAL and JAS before it were basically told by the government to buy Boeing as a measure to balamce their huge trade surplus with the US. Although those are private companies they fully cooperate with the government. So that's a captive market for Boeing.

As for the US being 50% of the world airline market, I believe the real number is below fifty but you're not too far off. However, as traffic in China, India and the Middle East is rising much faster than in the US, Boeing predicts that the US will decline to 25% of the world's airline industry within 10 years.

Again, I repeat, Airbus has had phenomenal success so I believe you guys are reading way too much in the name.

tockeyhockey

Wed May 03, 2006 4:52 am

Buses are disgusting stinky dirty and traveled by poor people?? What? If you're referring to city transit buses, the gas prices are forcing plenty of not-so-poor people to take the bus. Plus the long distance coaches are generally well kept and comfortable. I have little issue with buses.

maybe in canada they are better than they are in the US. all i know is that if you've ever taken a bus from NYC to, say, DC or Philly, you know what a miserable experience it is. overflowing toilets, rude and obnoxious people, traffic, and bus terminals in undesirable places filled with vagrants and CD bootleggers.

needless to say, for people in the US northeast, if you are forced to ride the bus you have fallen very low.

deltadc9

Wed May 03, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting Naritaflyer (Reply 35):
Again, I repeat, Airbus has had phenomenal success so I believe you guys are reading way too much in the name.

I don't think you grasp the spirit of the thread. What if Airbus chose a more market friendly name in the US? And why they didnt.....

All I know is when I once pointed out an Airbus to my wife, she looked at me and cringed..."AIRBUS? why the hell would they call it a BUS?"

This is a girl that would not be caught dead on a bus.

THAT'S what we are talking about, the perception in the US of the word "Bus", which is lower than a taxi on the food chain.

Cadet57

Wed May 03, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting BDL2DCA (Reply 6):
Quoting Col (Reply 5):
Going on a bus in Taiwan is different than getting a bus in Springfield, MA.

What, you got a problem with Peter Pan?

HELL NO!  Wink

Hey, Col! we're neighbors, sorta, right here in CEF!
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

tockeyhockey

Wed May 03, 2006 5:07 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 37):
All I know is when I once pointed out an Airbus to my wife, she looked at me and cringed..."AIRBUS? why the hell would they call it a BUS?"

This is a girl that would not be caught dead on a bus.

exactly!

it's like trying to sell airplanes to china but calling them "air rickshaws"

say what you want about americans, but we are born with an understanding marketing and advertising. if boeing called themselves "the bus of the sky", they'd be out of business.

JohnKrist
Crew

Wed May 03, 2006 5:32 am

It's a shame that buses have a bad "aura" about them in the US. They are environmentally friendly (sort of) if you count gas per mile per passenger. One main problem might be that cars and gas always have been cheap in the US, and still is compared to Europe. In Sweden we pay $6 per gallon so bus is a great option, poor or not. Ordinary city buses are usually clean and runs regularely. long distance buses show movies, and have a restroom, and while the airlines are starting with lie flats in other classes than first nowadays, that has been an option in long distance buses for years here.

Below is the inside of a Neoplan bus, and as you can see the only thing that differs from an airplane is the larger window and better legroom.
Airliners.net Crew-Head Support
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

IFEMaster

Wed May 03, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting Tockeyhockey (Reply 39):
it's like trying to sell airplanes to china but calling them "air rickshaws"

say what you want about americans, but we are born with an understanding marketing and advertising. if boeing called themselves "the bus of the sky", they'd be out of business.

Air Rickshaws? Silly comparison.

People 'born' with an understanding of marketing and advertising? Silly comment. Do you have a scientific study to back that up? The several million people all over America that fall for infomercials suggests the polar opposite...

If 'Airbus' makes people think of a city runner filled with the scum of society, then Boeing have made a mistake with the word 'Dreamliner'. Sounds like a glorified subway train or fishing boat. Or maybe some kind of contraption to monitor your dreams.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

deltadc9

Wed May 03, 2006 5:40 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 41):
People 'born' with an understanding of marketing and advertising? Silly comment. Do you have a scientific study to back that up? The several million people all over America that fall for infomercials suggests the polar opposite...

I think you will find that Ad Exec is one of the most common jobs depicted on TV and movies due to the fact that Americans are in fact fascinated by advertising and many would like to work in it.

Superbowl commercials are almost as popular as the game itself.

Lighten up dude.

IFEMaster

Wed May 03, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 42):
I think you will find that Ad Exec is one of the most common jobs depicted on TV and movies due to the fact that Americans are in fact fascinated by advertising and many would like to work in it.

Lighten up dude.

I don't dispute those claims, but people aren't born with an understanding of advertising and marketing. Fascination doesn't equal qualification. If anything, the obsession with advertising, Super Bowl ads being a classic example, just shows that most people are an easy sell. If they 'understood' advertising and marketing, then they would quickly realise that most commercials on the TV and on the radio and in a lot of magazines use all kinds of methods and tricks to sell their product.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

KLM685

Wed May 03, 2006 5:55 am

but in the US, the word "bus" has a very negative connotation. A bus is considered a terrible way to travel -- it's cramped, slow, dirty, and filled with, dirty, stinky, poor people

Well I'm really sorry for the bus system in the US, but at least of what i've seen in the rest of the world, a bus is a cheap, quick, efficient, probably cramped way of transportation.

I would like you to go ask people in cities such as Paris, London, Madrid,Zurich, etc... if they feel their buses have a very negative connotation.

Mexico for example has one of the world's best qualified buses as we lack the rail system Europe has. Even the cheapest ticket is on a very nice bus, CLEAN, fast enough to ensure safety, and without dirty, stinky, poor people. And IF they are poor, they are educated enough to take showers.
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

byronsterk

Wed May 03, 2006 6:12 am

[sarcasm] Well, in Europe the bus iss concidered to be a *very* deluxe method of travel! [/sarcasm]
Helicopters can't fly, there just so ugly the earth repells them...

deltadc9

Wed May 03, 2006 6:16 am

Quoting KLM685 (Reply 44):
Well I'm really sorry for the bus system in the US

Dont be sorry, our new bus system has "Southwest" painted on the side. We will be just fine.

hb88

Wed May 03, 2006 6:40 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 41):
Air Rickshaws? Silly comparison.
 checkmark 

People 'born' with an understanding of marketing and advertising? Silly comment.

checkmark 

Do you have a scientific study to back that up? The several million people all over America that fall for infomercials suggests the polar opposite...

If 'Airbus' makes people think of a city runner filled with the scum of society, then Boeing have made a mistake with the word 'Dreamliner'. Sounds like a glorified subway train or fishing boat. Or maybe some kind of contraption to monitor your dreams.

In Europe 'bus' simply doesn't have the connotations that the word does in the US. Given the multilingual nature of Airbus and Europe in general, it's just an innoffensive, bland sort of name that fits the German, French etc etc vocabulary.

I also don't believe that people in the US are so thick as to mindlessly associate the word uniquely with low-rent road transport.

Aither

Wed May 03, 2006 7:12 am

My mistake, go to the next message.

[Edited 2006-05-03 00:15:34]
Never trust the obvious

tjc2

Wed May 03, 2006 7:14 am

This thread is quality...

Maybe the relevant people could have done some homework on the connotations of the word 'bus' around the world, specially concerning those of the US.

But then again, how far does the name rub off? I mean for a start most pax don't care about what aeroplane they are on, they just wanna get from A to B. We don't get a choice if it's an Airbus or a Boeing (unless, of course you are an aviation enthusiast to the extent that you know which brand of aircraft fly which routes at which times)

So far these connotations it seems, only apply in the US, no one else has offered insight as to what Buses are like in their home countries, it has all just been some good points and discrediting other users (see below).

My experience from riding a public bus everyday to & from school or into town it was fine, in Hong Kong & England. The occasional unwanted old ticket on the ground, slightly dusty seats or graffiti on the windows. I wasn't as tall then so not a problem with leg room. Certainly didn't have a problem with it being

cramped, slow, dirty, and filled with, dirty, stinky, poor people.

(this certainly doesn't apply for the London Underground tho)

The only time I really didnt look forward to a bus journey was coming back from a rugby match on a two hour trip when I just wanted to die on a couch!   Or when on a certain M10 to manchester and the damn thing vibrates like it's about to tear itself to peaces whilst idling.

Quoting Tockeyhockey (Reply 23):

Quoting Naritaflyer (Reply 25):
I think the thread which you started might be... shall we say... stupid.

Quoting Tockeyhockey (Reply 34):
why don't you go crap on someone else's thread? you've already misrepresented and misunderstood two posts in this one. we don't need you here any more.

No need.

I find it amusing at how the true transit buses of the air aka. Ryanair's 737s are made by Boeing and not Airbus.

Although I don't recall travelling on an A319/20/21, they come across as being quite similar to 737s on the inside. I doubt normal pax notice interior difference.

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 42):

Isn't the actual game time only 60mins with coverage lasting 3/4 hours due to timeouts, subtitution and advert breaks? Please can one of you verify/discredit the myth that play is often stopped for advert breaks full flow? 

Edit: In time taken to write and check over it appears some people have offered some thought on the word bus...

[Edited 2006-05-03 00:17:14]
The only time I made a mistake was when I thought I was wrong...