deaphen

Flying To The South Pole Or Over.

Thu May 04, 2006 9:09 pm

I just got the idea in my head and i was wondering, what landing strips are there in the South pole? And which aircraft could make it there? Lets say from Asia or Europe and not counting from Australia and South America.

Say an expedition wants to fly there.. can they?

thanks
deaphen
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

HT

RE: Flying To The South Pole Or Over.

Thu May 04, 2006 9:50 pm

Quoting Deaphen (Thread starter):
And which aircraft could make it there? Lets say from Asia or Europe and not counting from Australia and South America.

Prop-a/c only, meaning either many enroute stops (but that was outside your question) or inflight refuelling (which limits operators to "military").

All I can recall is that C-130´s (or L-100´s) are in use flying nonstop from South America (Punta Areanas and/or Ushuaia) into Antarctica.
IIRC, landing strip(s) are just compacted snow.

Flights are not possible during winter, as flying (at least landing & take-off) need to be in daylight (aparently no nav´aids to speak of).

Also, the very low temps in winter are a challenge to fuel and lubricants, as they tend to freeze over.

Sidenote: A female doctor from the hospital my sister works in, spent a season (summer to summer) at Germany´s Antarctic station about 2 years ago. Almost the first thing she had to do after a while, was pulling a bad tooth on herself which earned her a lot of respect from fellow (male) inhabitants. There was no way to get her out or to fly in any help, nor to visit one of the other stations.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

SLCUT2777

Thu May 04, 2006 10:19 pm

Good Geography Discussion! Perhaps this is more Technical Ops, but say you wanted to fly a Boeing 777-ER or LR from Santiago, Chile or Buenos Aries, Argentina to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth or even Brisbane, Australia, even throwing in Singapore or Malaysia for fun. At the conclusion of the Cold War and Russia opening up air space for commercial flights more routinely we see how the Arctic polar route effects flights between North America and Asia over the Pacific, could the same be said for the Antarctic? Even though the southern hemisphere has far more ocean than the northern?
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

USAFHummer

Thu May 04, 2006 10:27 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 1):
Prop-a/c only, meaning either many enroute stops (but that was outside your question) or inflight refuelling (which limits operators to "military").

Its not limited to prop aircraft...the USAF used C-141's for many years on flights from New Zealand (CHC I believe) to Antarctica, and now that the -141's are gone, the C-17 continues the tradition (of course the USAF also flies Hercs down there as well!)http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/print.main?id=2753571
Printer friendly format

Here's a picture of the C-17 in Antarctica:
http://www.travelblog.org/South-Amer...ca/McMurdo-Station/blog-24689.html

Privately, AFAIK there is both a C-130 and IL-76 running from South America (Punta Arenas) down to Antarctica for commercial expeditions...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

peterpuck

Thu May 04, 2006 10:43 pm

Ken Borek, a company from Calgary, has flown it's twin otters in there in the winter. Only in emergencies though.