TR763
Topic Author

Varig: Bye Bye Paris!

Fri May 05, 2006 4:16 am

I read in a Brazilian website that Varig is suspending six international destinations. ASU, VVI, CPH, MVD, LIS and... CDG!!

I couldn't believe when I read this! I thought that Paris was one of their most profitable int'l destination.
Anyway, this is part of a plan in which the airline would be divided in two: the international and the domestic Varig.
The cuts in these routes seems to be temporarily in my point of view, as they intend to open new routes, such as ORD, in the future.

One more plan to make this airline survive... Until when we will keep seeing these soup operas of ideas instead of a possible and concrete solution (if it exists, and I hope it does, really!)???

Best Rgs!
TR763
Picture by Justin Cederholm at MCO.

EZEIZA

RE: Varig: Bye Bye Paris!

Fri May 05, 2006 4:23 am

So Paris is gone as well? I hope all these measures will actually help and get RG back on its feet. It is very sad to see one of the biggest airlines in the region in such a terrible situation. Hopefully this will change

regards  Smile
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

MaartenV

Fri May 05, 2006 4:23 am

And the deterioration of a once great airline continues...

One of the reasons of ending these flights are the MD11s which are being returned (involuntary?) to the leasing companies?
Its all about supply and demand...

EZYAirbus

Fri May 05, 2006 4:31 am

Quoting TR763 (Thread starter):
I read in a Brazilian website that Varig is suspending six international destinations. ASU, VVI, CPH,

oh dear......CPH....I believe there are 2 of our anet members flying to CPH on RG in the next couple of weeks!

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

hentzz

Fri May 05, 2006 4:31 am

This is really sad Sad I really hope that they will survive, but if they keep cuting routes like that it seems very unlikely. Hopefully the management knows what they are doing.

LVZXV

Fri May 05, 2006 4:35 am

Holy cow!!!  Wow! Thank God I braved the cold and went to CPH when I did (early March)! That's terrible news!

Saludos,

ZXV
How do you say "12 months" in Estonian?

MaverickM11

Fri May 05, 2006 4:36 am

Quoting Hentzz (Reply 4):
This is really sad

Idunno about sad...it's like watching the most predictable long drawn-out slow train wreck ever... Yeah sure
E pur si muove -Galileo

B742

Fri May 05, 2006 4:38 am

Realy sad news, I sure hope they dont drop LHR!  Sad

As for the LIS flight, looks like RG will just codeshare from now on to Brazil/Portugal  Sad

Will the 763 that currently operates the LIS route be returned, or moved elsewhere?

A real shame about CDG, TAM and AF will love this news! Will either AF or TAM be able to benifit from RG leaving CDG, in other words will they increase flights?

I love seeing Varig in Europe and especialy their MD11's  Sad

CPH, AMS, CDG, NRT, LIS... who will be next, hopefuly not LHR, JFK, FRA or MUC!

Rob!  wave 

legacy135

Fri May 05, 2006 4:39 am

Those news about Varig the last weeks are so sad and it becomes worse and worse. I think we could name it a kind of painfull dying.

Well, never give up the hope, I sincerly wish the best for the entire Varig staff, going trough such difficult times.

Kind regards
Legacy135 Wink

Fri May 05, 2006 4:45 am

Quoting TR763 (Thread starter):
Varig is suspending six international destinations. VVI

VVI? That used to be a prime destination for RG although I recognize that the route GRU-Curitiba-VVI is a disaster as two weeks ago I flew the route and from Curitiba only around 30 pax were on the aircraft = total loss.

Starting when will RG stop VVI service, this is important for me to know as I am expecting persons on the RG 8880 flight next week?

TR763
Topic Author

Fri May 05, 2006 4:50 am

Quoting EZYAirbus (Reply 3):
I believe there are 2 of our anet members flying to CPH on RG in the next couple of weeks

Quoting 123 (Reply 9):
Starting when will RG stop VVI service,

In the site I read it, there wasn't any specification of when will all this occur. But I'm searching for it.

Rgs!
TR763

PPVRA

Fri May 05, 2006 4:58 am

This is not necessarely all BAD news, guys. But it means they will be optimizing their limited fleet to make more money. It's sad to see them leaving CDG, and it's sad that they aren't doing well there, but this can be seen as they are going to fly to more profitable places. It does not mean that CDG is losing money, which I really have no idea if it is or not.

In the article I provide the link below, they also state increased MUC and LAX frequencies. As well as the possible ORD service mentioned by TR763.

But all this is probably only going to happen if the plan for the "International" and "Domestic" Varig gets approved by the creditors.

http://ultimosegundo.ig.com.br/mater...1501-2362000/2361801/2361801_1.xml

Cheers!

[Edited 2006-05-04 22:06:16]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

lijnden

Fri May 05, 2006 5:24 am

A few weeks ago I thought Varig Log (with USA investors) were interested in Varig. Anyway, I do not expect Varig to collapse soon (who would bring the Brasilian team to Germany? Emirates...).
How many MD-11's do they have right now?
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAH-ORF

LTU932

Fri May 05, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 7):
Will the 763 that currently operates the LIS route be returned, or moved elsewhere?

I thought it was a 772A which operated GRU-LIS.

Quoting Lijnden (Reply 12):
A few weeks ago I thought Varig Log (with USA investors) were interested in Varig.

I believe they were, but the deal was rejected, either by the government or the bankruptcy court, maybe Felipe knows.

FCKC

Fri May 05, 2006 5:53 am

Highly sad news.
I still remember the good old days when they came to Paris (Orly , not yet CDG) with 707s.
It's so sad to see an airline deasapearing out of the Parisian sky , after having been there for decades , beginning with Panair Do Brasil with DC8 and Constellations !!!!!!!!!!!

Fri May 05, 2006 6:17 am

Quoting TR763 (Reply 10):
Quoting 123 (Reply 9):
Starting when will RG stop VVI service,

In the site I read it, there wasn't any specification of when will all this occur. But I'm searching for it.

Hello TR763... any news, I have certain urge? That´s what a.net is for, to get first hand reliable info, thanks in advance!

noelg

Fri May 05, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting EZYAirbus (Reply 3):
oh dear......CPH....I believe there are 2 of our anet members flying to CPH on RG in the next couple of weeks!

Hoorah! I'm meant to be doing the RG flight on this day but we've been kind of hoping we'd be able to cancel as we're a little short of cash - at least if they go belly up we can hopefully claim some money back rather than lose it. Lets just hope they offer us a choice of re-accommodating us or getting a refund!

If they don't we're insured anyway.

Cheers,
Noel

hardiwv

Fri May 05, 2006 6:45 am

I am not surprised by this move. TAM is already flying twice daily GRU-GIG and AF is rapiding expanding serving CDG-GIG daily and CDG-GRU 10 x week and to be increased to twice daily soon (plus AF will start deploying the B773 to GRU).

RG cannot compete against TAM and AF. And you can expect RG to pull out of even more international destinations. It simply represents de downfall of the airline. The optimization of the route network is extremely necessary. It also makes sense to launch ORD and increase services to LAX and MUC.

As for VVI, MVD and ASU, TAM and GOL are taking care of these markets. CPH was only operated 3 x week with a stop-over in LHR (which soon will also be gone when TAM starts services there). Finally, LIS is left for partner TAP which this month added extra 6 weekly flights to GRU/GIG. You can expect JFK to be dropped soon and maybe even MIA - both of which are getting excellent service by TAM.

Rgs,

LipeGIG

Fri May 05, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting MaartenV (Reply 2):
One of the reasons of ending these flights are the MD11s which are being returned (involuntary?) to the leasing companies?

You're right, they need to return 2 more M11's this year IIRC.

Quoting B742 (Reply 7):

Moved to MIA in order to replace one M11 that need to leave the fleet.

Quoting B742 (Reply 7):
A real shame about CDG, TAM and AF will love this news! Will either AF or TAM be able to benifit from RG leaving CDG, in other words will they increase flights?

Tam can obtain more planes or even try a daily light flight to get the market RG will leave. If they can run a day-light they won't need any additional aircraft.

Quoting 123 (Reply 9):
VVI? That used to be a prime destination for RG although I recognize that the route GRU-Curitiba-VVI is a disaster as two weeks ago I flew the route and from Curitiba only around 30 pax were on the aircraft = total loss.

123, VVI with a US$/R$ rate so low is unprofitable as well as MVD, ASU and any other south american route without business class (the new service BSB-POA-EZE probably will be dropped too). RG can sell a GIG-IGU-GIG for US$ 500 but need to charge no more than US$ 320 for a GIG-CWB-ASU-CWB-GIG.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 13):
I thought it was a 772A which operated GRU-LIS.

They have only 3 flying , PP-VRA (the only one ER flying) on GRU-FRA, PP-VRC on GRU-JFK-GRU and PP-VRJ on GIG-GRU-MXP-GRU-GIG.

Quoting Hardiwv (Reply 17):
You can expect JFK to be dropped soon and maybe even MIA - both of which are getting excellent service by TAM.

Hardi, i doubt RG will drop MIA and JFK. They will try to improve such routes (back to 2 planes) as the business traffic to those markets are very impressive.

The optimization of the route network is extremely necessary. It also makes sense to launch ORD and increase services to LAX and MUC.

I can't understand why RG doesn't increase their most profitable routes (GIG-FRA and GRU-FRA). Their fixed cost is paid, any additional flight will be additional profit, and with the fact that LH reduced their flights (LH will run an extra FRA-GRU-FRA on June 9/10 as LH500/LH501 A343), probably will be profitable also!
That's why i believe RG management is crazy, FRA is in need of flights!

It seems this move will give us a good picture of the future: Does RG with a smaller network/fleet will be in conditions to pay their huge past debit ? Also, i believe RG will be in 1 or 2 years, easy to be replaced , something that nowadays can cause some troubles.

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

RCS763AV

Fri May 05, 2006 10:15 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 7):

I name it: BOG. The airline´s lowest load factors in the international network are from BOG. AV is just kicking their ass.

Its so sad to see RG downsizing this way...and in the domestic market its even more dramatic....lets hope they make it

Southamerica

Fri May 05, 2006 11:20 am

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 19):
I name it: BOG. The airline´s lowest load factors in the international network are from BOG. AV is just kicking their ass.

I don't know if they are the lowest, but RG has significantly improved its performance in BOG ever since they reduced capacity. In fact, during the present low-season they have actually been registering decent loads according to the season.

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 19):
AV is just kicking their ass.

They are. 83% of average load-factors during low-season and among the best yields of their whole South American operation is much more than expected.

SOUTHAMERICA

LukasMako

Fri May 05, 2006 2:59 pm

Why are they dropping LIS?
And make higher frequenzy on airports like MUC. I can't imagine that MUC is a bigger market than LIS.

UAL777UK

Fri May 05, 2006 5:02 pm

Quoting B742 (Reply 7):
CPH, AMS, CDG, NRT, LIS... who will be next, hopefuly not LHR, JFK, FRA or MUC

The day we see them not fly to LHR is the day i suspect they close down ops!

Hope they pull through!

cedars747

Fri May 05, 2006 5:18 pm

Quoting LVZXV (Reply 5):
Thank God I braved the cold and went to CPH

Come on Maximo !CPH is not that cold...wait untill you visit me in Tromso ! Big grin

When it comes to Varig,i think it's just a technical procedures.They are cleaning their house and they will be back like they always did before
Forza Varig
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

ReverseThrust

Fri May 05, 2006 6:07 pm

I have just spoken with VARIG Reservations in the UK as I am flying to CPH with them on 26 May.

They are not aware of any confirmed route cancellations, and all flights are still showing as active, and operating with the MD-11.

If they suspend the route, they will offer re-booking with Star Alliance Carriers first, then others, then if you are still not happy, a refund.

Fingers crossed folks!

Reverse.
Flown MD11/81/82/83/87/90,B732/733/734/735/737W/738/739/742/752/753,F70/100,A300/319/320/321/332/333/343,TU134A/154M,L10

B707Stu

Fri May 05, 2006 6:50 pm

LIS is the most shocking withdrawal to me. I think of 1980 when I flew JFK-GIG-JFK on their D10. Amazing service, great seats, inflight dining. RG was by far my favorite airline in the 80's. I'm having a hard time accepting all this, very sad.  Sad

sunshine79

Fri May 05, 2006 7:16 pm

Quoting Noelg (Reply 16):
Hoorah! I'm meant to be doing the RG flight on this day but we've been kind of hoping we'd be able to cancel as we're a little short of cash - at least if they go belly up we can hopefully claim some money back rather than lose it. Lets just hope they offer us a choice of re-accommodating us or getting a refund!

Noel, Im the same. I´ve booked my EZY and BD connecting flights too, so will loose loads of money even if I dont go. Doe´s anyone know when they are supposed to be shutting the CPH route down?
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

maperrin

Fri May 05, 2006 8:09 pm

Ok. Everyone is crying. It sounds like Swissair slow fall. But, on thenother hand, having done more than 100 transcontinental flights formnBrazil in the past 10 years, Varignis paying for its past faults. View from a passenger: 1) Old planes,nold seats (very bad seats in "C") 2) Fake mileage program where it isnnearly impossible to find seats to redeem your miles, or where younhavento pay EXTREMELY HIGH FULL fares to get upgrades 3) Arrogantnon-board staff on long-haul (NRT via LAX was the worse) 4) Very arrogant staff at check-in and ticketing

Michel

Flying Belgian

Fri May 05, 2006 9:04 pm

Not surprising at all. First they dropped AMS which was coupled with CDG. I don't see any reason why they'd be able to fill up a full MD11 so quickly.

The only thing is that CDG is now missing the direct flight to POA.

As stated above the TAM/AF partnership is also becoming too strong to compete with.

Now, I'm not sure RG will keep MUC. But that's another story...

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

su

Fri May 05, 2006 9:41 pm

That's so sad.

I have a fligth booked on June 10 GRU/LHR/CPH and looking forward to get on RG and MD11, beside I will need to get back home...
"Life is too short to take it serious..."

glennpower

Fri May 05, 2006 10:00 pm

So no more CDG,well time is really running out,because if they do not find a big cashflow input in the next month or so it will be extremely critical,(they need cash to fix all the aircraft sitting on tarmac,which in turn is not generating much needed revenue,)me personally i think it is a too bigger a hill to climb,they are losing regular passengers who are fed up with "delays","equipment changes","shedule changes" etc,passengers who travel for the first time and passengers who do not travel very often can give them some much needed revenue,(although many travel agents are now giving advice to book with other carriers,which will only compound there problems),a very sad state indeed,as once upon a time i used to mention RG with pride,but they are just recieving what has been predicted for quite some time now.

Fri May 05, 2006 10:15 pm

As for VVI, MVD and ASU, TAM and GOL are taking care of these markets

Yes and no for VVI. RG had a nonstop, which was naturally more convenient than GOL, TAM, 5L. Also, RG had early morning departures from GRU to VVI, making it an ideal airline for connecting flights mainly from Europe. TAM too, but vía ASU, making the flight quite longer.

I see no particular reason for TAM and GOL to replace Varig on the GRU-VVI-GRU runner leg.

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 18):
VVI with a US$/R$ rate so low is unprofitable as well as MVD, ASU and any other south american route without business class

Well, if RG quit taking business class equipped aircraft to VVI, it´s logic. The other day I flew 5L (Aero Sur) to GRU in C, it was packed, and on the return - due to connection flight from Europe, I prefered the earliy morning departure of RG, however, the 733 had only Y, so where can I sit if I want to pay C, other than in the back? Anyways, the aircraft was so empty it seemed to be a BBJ.

hardiwv

Fri May 05, 2006 11:30 pm

Quoting 123 (Reply 31):
I see no particular reason for TAM and GOL to replace Varig on the GRU-VVI-GRU runner leg.

You can be sure that TAM or GOL will seize RG's GRU-VVI market. What I meant is that TAM or GOL will introduce nonstop VVI-GRU soon.

Rgs,

cityairline

Sat May 06, 2006 12:41 am

Quoting 123 (Reply 9):

Starting when will RG stop VVI service, this is important for me to know as I am expecting persons on the RG 8880 flight next week?

Quoting 123 (Reply 31):
Yes and no for VVI. RG had a nonstop, which was naturally more convenient than GOL, TAM, 5L. Also, RG had early morning departures from GRU to VVI, making it an ideal airline for connecting flights mainly from Europe. TAM too, but vía ASU, making the flight quite longer.

30?? Oh thats low. I flew GRU-VVI december 2004 and the flight only had few open seats. I had arrived from CPH on RG actually, and it was only 2 hrs waiting time. I flew back in january 2005 and I think it was quite full then aswell. Didn't the flight go GIG-GRU-VVI-LPB?
It's sad to se both those routes leave, the others to ofcourse  Sad

If they go down totally, what will it look like at GRU without RG there? Almost empty at T1...
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Marcelo Fouquet De Biasi

I don't fly to live, I live to fly...

N405MX

Sat May 06, 2006 1:07 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 7):

Unfortunately very strong rumors say that MEX will be next, 2 weeks ago, actually the Union is only waiting for the order from Brazil to close MEX.

Really sad indeed, really sad.
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....

LipeGIG

Sat May 06, 2006 1:49 am

I obtained some loads on RG flights on May 2nd. It's low season, tuesday but is the return of the labor day.

GIG
VRG2820 VIX 0630 PP-VNZ PAXS: 113
PUA0803 MVD 0700 CX-PUB PAXS: 128
VRG8936 LIM 0700 PP-VTT PAXS: 167
VRG8920 SCL 0730 OB8936 PAXS: ***
VRG9350 FRA 0715 PP-VQG PAXS: 252
VRG8612 EZE 0730 PP-VSA PAXS: 122
VRG2044 GRU 0845 PP-VTO PAXS: 130
VRG2204 MAO 0845 PP-VTH PAXS: 274
VRG2821 CGH 0920 PP-VNZ PAXS: 118
VRG2342 FEN 0935 PP-VPX PAXS: 090
VRG2333 POA 1000 PP-VTW PAXS: 127
VRG8615 REC 1040 PP-VTN PAXS: 133
VRG2251 IGU 1110 PR-SAG PAXS: 135
VRG2132 CWB 1150 PT-MNK PAXS: 045
VRG2822 VIX 1150 PP-VOY PAXS: 081
VRG8942 CCS 1210 PP-VTQ PAXS: 035
VRG9992 GRU 1235 PP-VQN PAXS: 111
VRG2083 CGH 1348 PP-VOY PAXS: 089
VRG2316 SSA 1350 PP-VTR PAXS: 072
VRG2084 CNF 1500 PP-VTW PAXS: 060
VRG2104 POA 1600 PP-VNZ PAXS: 098
VRG2824 VIX 1656 PP-VOY PAXS: 093
TAP0182 OPO 1725 CS-TOB PAXS: 268
VRG2074 BVB 1730 PT-MNK PAXS: 136
VRG2314 SSA 1815 *CNLD* PAXS: ***
VRG8720 CDG 1900 PP-VRJ PAXS: 118
VRG5922 GRU 1915 PP-VTR PAXS: 134
VRG8922 SCL 1915 OB5922 PAXS: ***
VRG2250 MCP 1920 PR-SAG PAXS: 130
VRG2343 POA 2015 PP-VPX PAXS: 128
VRG8918 MVD 2035 PP-VOR PAXS: 101
VRG8734 MXP 2130 OB8918 PAXS: ***
VRG8614 EZE 2045 PP-VTO PAXS: 129
VRG2364 JPA 2120 PP-VTW PAXS: 094
VRG8818 MIA 2135 PP-VOJ PAXS: 078
VRG2332 MCZ 2145 PP-VOY PAXS: 122
VRG8744 FRA 2210 PP-VQK PAXS: 281
PUA0802 MAD 2250 CX-PUB PAXS: 237

GRU
VRG8773 GIG 0545 PP-VTH PAXS: 149
VRG8735 GIG 0545 OB8773 PAXS: ***
VRG9821 CGH 0550 PP-VOW PAXS: ***
VRG9823 GIG 0630 PP-VTO PAXS: ***
PUA0231 MVD 0705 CX-BON PAXS: 047
VRG8640 EZE 0730 PP-VTP PAXS: 153
VRG2052 GYN 0815 PT-MNH PAXS: 079
VRG2266 BEL 0915 PP-VTT PAXS: 164
VRG8880 VVI 0920 PP-VOR PAXS: 120
VRG8671 GIG 0930 PP-VTQ PAXS: 143
VRG2118 FLN 0935 PP-VOZ PAXS: 118
VRG8670 MEX 0935 PP-VTS PAXS: 160
VRG8920 SCL 0935 *CNLD* PAXS: ***
VRG2346 PNZ 0945 PP-VTL PAXS: 140
VRG8936 LIM 0950 PP-VSB PAXS: 121
VRG2334 SSA 1020 PP-VTO PAXS: 153
VRG8902 IGU 1050 PP-VOO PAXS: 112
VRG2200 MAO 1100 PP-VOJ PAXS: 208
VRG2374 FOR 1150 PP-VNX PAXS: 093
VRG2114 POA 1155 PP-VTA PAXS: 095
VRG8923 GIG 1210 PP-VTR PAXS: 082
VRG2251 IGU 1250 PR-SAG PAXS: 091
PUA0223 MVD 1320 CX-PUD PAXS: 062
VRG2344 REC 1330 PP-VTB PAXS: 094
VRG9826 CGH 1405 PP-VQN PAXS: ***
VRG8942 CCS 1415 PP-VTQ PAXS: 136
VRG2110 POA 1425 *CNLD* PAXS: ***
VRG8648 EZE 1500 PP-VSA PAXS: 061
VRG2308 SSA 1620 PP-VTA PAXS: 068
TAP0190 OPO 1715 CS-TOD PAXS: 268
SAA0206 JNB 1725 ZS-SXA PAXS: 235
VRG2054 CNF 1745 PP-VON PAXS: 053
VRG2250 BEL 1745 PR-SAG PAXS: 108
VRG2324 SSA 1855 PP-VOO PAXS: 096
VRG8881 GIG 1920 PP-VOR PAXS: 045
VRG2326 AJU 1950 PP-VNX PAXS: 087
VRG8720 CDG 2000 PP-VRJ PAXS: 188
VRG2348 NAT 2115 PP-VTN PAXS: 106
VRG2372 FOR 2115 PP-VON PAXS: 109
VRG8756 CPH 2130 PP-VTH PAXS: 232
VRG8922 SCL 2130 PP-VOZ PAXS: 110
VRG8740 FRA 2155 PP-VTP PAXS: 233
VRG8918 MVD 2215 PP-VOR PAXS: 062
VRG8630 EZE 2220 PP-VTR PAXS: 059
VRG8714 MAD 2220 PP-VOI PAXS: 213
VRG2038 PLU 2245 PT-MNH PAXS: 095
VRG9991 GIG 2245 PP-VTT PAXS: 151
VRG8937 GIG 2245 OB9991 PAXS: ***
VRG2126 POA 2330 PP-VTA PAXS: 125
VRG2170 CWB 2335 PP-VTL PAXS: 129
VRG8734 MXP 2345 PP-VQJ PAXS: 254
VRG8818 MIA 2355 PP-VOJ PAXS: 155
VRG8864 JFK 2359 PP-VRC PAXS: 216

Both TP flights full !!! RG domestic network is now reduced at least 30% over a month ago. For example, RG use to run 6x GIG-BSB and today are runing only 2x (JJ will upgrade their GIG-BSB from 5x to 7x daily, and Gol will also add 2 daily flights). Bases like CNF, FOR and NAT where in the past RG was the Top operator, see only few flights nowadays (probably will drop even more international loads as RG is 70% to 85% connections out of GRU).

Side notes:

RG8818 is runing GIG-GRU-MIA-GIG
RG9991 operational leg GRU-GIG for RG8937
RG8880 runs GRU-CWB-VVI

PP-VSA/VSB: 738
PP-SAF/SAG: 73G
PP-VRC/J: 772
PP-VRA: 772ER
PP-VOJ/VOI: 763ER
PP-VQJ/VTP/VTH/VQK/VQG: M11

Hope it helps to see RG nowadays.

Felipe

TR763
Topic Author

Sat May 06, 2006 2:03 am

I still can't find the dates that they are going to cancel the routes I've posted!
I believe that if you have a flight booked to/from one of these routes, on this month, there's no need to worry. They won't drop them suddenly.
Any one have this info?

Thanks!
Rgs!
TR763

JJMNGR

Sat May 06, 2006 2:17 am

Next week will be posted an information from ANAC about market share and the domestic market share is going to be shown as bellow 15%.

hardiwv

Sat May 06, 2006 2:21 am

Lipe: your data shows again that VARIG is a viable airline, but it suffers from serious management problems. I hope the Government finds a way out to sell the company, preferable to a national airline as it is currently under discussion.

Rgs,

JJMNGR

Sat May 06, 2006 2:30 am

About RG loads posted by Lipe, important ok know is when these tkts were bought because for about a month, everybody that goes to an airport counter will see very few movement in terms of sales.
Not only this...travel agencies and the hole trade is being very conservative in terms of RG sales.

PPVRA

Sat May 06, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting CityAirline (Reply 33):

If they go down totally, what will it look like at GRU without RG there? Almost empty at T1...
View Large View Medium

I know... it's unimaginable, and really very sad

[Edited 2006-05-05 20:12:17]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

FCKC

Sat May 06, 2006 3:22 am

What i hear about load factors , here at Paris is when you need a seat at the last minute , all TAM and AFR flights are fully booked and you always find one on a RG flight...........

ghost77

Sat May 06, 2006 3:44 am

Is MEX closing too? RG's HQ's over here are moving out... and they're working with very reduce staff at the airport. So sad! Load factors still show high, but sure an issue here is WHEN where those tickets bought... a month.. two months ago.. several months ago... perhaps current sales (if low) will hit during the next days...

g77 APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

Sat May 06, 2006 3:51 am

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 35):
VRG8880 VVI 0920 PP-VOR PAXS: 120

This is for sure including Curitiba. When I flew - like mentioned - the flight GRU-Curitiba was bursting full, in Curitiba only one (1) pax entered and the aircraft was extremely empty. Since I once landed at LPB with an LH 742 years ago (one of their last flights into LPB) with around 15 pax, I never saw such an empty airplane.

Brasuca

Sat May 06, 2006 4:12 am

All this Varig's new rigmarole consists only in route arrangement.

Alvarez & Marsal, in charge of restructuring VARIG's finances, made public yesterday the brief but clear outline concerning routes rearrangement.

Regarding DATES for accomplishing this new route map: The plans will be put into effect if VARIG's latest plan (which has finally found support at the government) will be approved by its creditors on next Monday.

In short, this plan comprises VARIG brand will be split into two "different" companies that will operate individually international (old Varig, taking on the current debt) and domestic (new Varig, freed from debt at all, yet holding the ever dropping market share, currently at 17%). The latter should be sold at auction to capitalise wherewithal towards old bankrupt Varig and only Brazilian airlines are eligible to buy it (OceanAir is likely to get it).

Their strategy is to focus on Biz pax, thus enhancing their high yield routes and axing lesser appealing ones (CDG) and those to where they can make better use by Star partners (e.g. CPH, LIS).
The first step is to cease flights to those above-mentioned routes straightway. Surprisingly, Chicago might be launched, but I highly doubt it. ASU, VVI and MVD are to be axed because new (old) Varig International is expected to not operate any 737 and flying 757 to those cities is indeed unfeasible. It is supposed to operate 19 widebodies (772, 757 and MD11) as soon as possible.

CDG, particularly, is still under careful analyses, as it actually sustains important traffic itself, but TAM and Air France pool as the toughest competitors spoiling RG's profit, so there is still no concrete decision concerning Paris amidst the cities to be cut.

It will be interesting though if OceanAir buys Varig: AV and RG will become partners?!  boggled 

Hardi is really right: TAM will be a big pain for RG, just like it is in all the routes they operate. BTW, TAM is doing great in JFK! Sadly, not only TAM, but DL and VS will kick Varig out of JFK and LHR respectively.

Next creditors consultancy will take place on 8 May, to whether approve or not the "newest" plan and investors.
Varig, Varig, Varig

JJMNGR

Sat May 06, 2006 6:21 am

I heard something about Ocean and this issue but also heard that Mr. Efromovich had some problems in the past with BNDS and he is not so welcome there and things might not be so easy with BNDS...

cedars747

Sat May 06, 2006 8:36 am

I cant imagine Brazil without Varig! They will survive !
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

incitatus

Sat May 06, 2006 10:24 pm

This all sounds like a shutdown of the airline - just like we have seen before with Vasp and Transbrasil. The airline dies by a handful of routes each time as the operating cash evaporates.
Stop pop up ads

Brasuca

Sat May 06, 2006 10:42 pm

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 47):
This all sounds like a shutdown of the airline - just like we have seen before with Vasp and Transbrasil. The airline dies by a handful of routes each time as the operating cash evaporates.

Indeed, but I wonder what's so different in Varig that their crisis is thousand times worse than those of VASP and TransBrasil's, yet they are still flying !!!
Varig, Varig, Varig

LipeGIG

Sun May 07, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting Brasuca (Reply 48):
Indeed, but I wonder what's so different in Varig that their crisis is thousand times worse than those of VASP and TransBrasil's, yet they are still flying !!!

Hi Brasuca, for me the big difference is that Vasp and Transbrasil has own planes and decided to stop international operations in favor of domestic flights. They forget to reduce their staff to the new scenario of operations and everyone knows what happen.

Varig is trying to sell their domestic network to create the necessary cash flow to keep their international flights. The question is: Will be Varig able and fast enough to reduce their staff/size to the new scenario ? The necessary profit to pay back creditors will be produced by a little company with no more than 30 aircrafts ? How they will handle with connections ? The new domestic "RG" will be also a Star Alliance member ?

Situation is getting worst, Varig is in debit with Infraero after paying last week with a check without money on their account (the Bank refuse to pay the check)

Next Monday will be a D-Day for RG as per government sources.

Felipe