litz

Is DL Planning A Partnership With AA?

Fri May 05, 2006 11:07 am

Had to go to OKC tonight for work, the travel office booked me out on DL and back on AA.

Checking in online for DL, my Itinerary was rather surprising :

http://terminus.litz.org/dl-aa.jpg

American Airlines, a Delta Partner ?!? ?!?

I've had mixed flights before (DL and AA in fact) and never seen this before ...

All I can say, is if this is true, and eventually we get full codeshare and FF benefits sharing, I'm going to be real, real, happy - that's two networks where travelers on each side will benefit greatly.

(if this actually is true, and isn't just a lark of the TechOps programming dept)

- litz

utapao

RE: Is DL Planning A Partnership With AA?

Fri May 05, 2006 11:18 am

Litz:

Very curious. It certainly doesn't show up in the Host that way... AA is AA and if you ask for DL flights, AA as a code share do not come up.

And when I went to the DL website, the AA flights you are book on did not appear.

Haven't heard anything at the water coolers about this....!
Sawasdee khrab!

SLCUT2777

Fri May 05, 2006 11:24 am

Quoting Litz (Thread starter):

I've had mixed flights before (DL and AA in fact) and never seen this before ...

All I can say, is if this is true, and eventually we get full codeshare and FF benefits sharing, I'm going to be real, real, happy - that's two networks where travelers on each side will benefit greatly.

I'll take a SkyTeam/OneWorld partnership so long as it means utter and complete Jihad against WN!!!! Same deal if it were SkyTeam/Star Alliance such as DL/AC since WN is the enemy of all civilized carriers!
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

spartanmjf

Fri May 05, 2006 11:26 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 2):
I'll take a SkyTeam/OneWorld partnership so long as it means utter and complete Jihad against WN!!!! Same deal if it were SkyTeam/Star Alliance such as DL/AC since WN is the enemy of all civilized carriers!

DING - What does this have to do with the topic at hand?
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

PSA727

Fri May 05, 2006 11:27 am

The only partnership I know of involving AA and DL is the one
out of LAX with American Eagle, which also code-shares on these
flights with CO, NW, AS, QF, and I think Cathay Pacific, too
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

DL WIDGET HEAD

Fri May 05, 2006 11:29 am

I think the "operated by Delta partner" line must refer to the interline agreement (and E ticket agreement) DL has with AA and virtually every other airline. I'm sure it's not partner in the sense of CO, NW, AF, etc. Still, it is a bit confusing I'll admit.

litz

Fri May 05, 2006 2:46 pm

Quite so -- I've never had a cross-ticketed itinerary appear like this before ... from the other side, the AA end of things also lists the Delta flight.

The DL people at Hartsfield had no idea what was going on, and my flight itinerary, upon checkin @ the kiosk, did NOT list the AA flights.

Neither airlines webpage allows you to choose seats on the other carrier's flights, however. I really have no idea what's going on here, unless we're just seeing examples of increased computer interopability or something.

Or maybe this is a nascent deal in the works, dunno.

- litz

flashmeister

Sat May 06, 2006 2:46 am

Any deal in the works would most likely leak to the press (at least a little bit) far before schedules are loaded, especially considering that a codeshare deal would likely trigger Federal reviews and limitations. When DL/CO/NW started their codeshare, it was extensively reviewed and there are caps on the number of flights allowed per day.

I think what you saw was a good old-fashioned bug.

worldtraveler

Sat May 06, 2006 4:20 am

DL and AA wouldn't be given the time of day by the DOJ. They tried to merge their CRSs at one time and even that was shot down. AA and DL have WAY too much overlap on the east coast (both are in top 3 carriers in many markets) as well as to Latin America and Europe.

I'm going w/ the bug theory too. Maybe, DL thinks it can acquire anyone, though.  Smile

DALelite

Sat May 06, 2006 6:00 am

United Air Lines Inc 2294* First (V) Confirmed Philadelphia, PA (PHL) 5:50pm
26 May 2006 Tampa, FL (TPA) 8:44pm
26 May 2006
* Operated by Delta

the same thing happend to me...

regards: Markus
They loved to fly and it showed..

DALelite

Sat May 06, 2006 6:07 am

United Air Lines Inc 2294* First (V) Confirmed Philadelphia, PA (PHL) 5:50pm
26 May 2006 Tampa, FL (TPA) 8:44pm
26 May 2006
* Operated by Delta Partner

sorry i have missed the partner..

DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

DeltaGuy

Sat May 06, 2006 8:42 am

I believe this is a ticketing ploy by (insert travel agency here) in an effort to not scare away passengers. For instance, your typical Joe passenger hates knowing that he will fly MIA-IAD on UA and then IAD-PHL on US and PHL-LAS on HP and LAS-SEA on AS. Its more likely the bags would get lost and if one carrier has a weather delay or what not, that carrier can say, "Its your problem" for your connecting flights on other airliners.

So, if you have the flight booked and see a DL flight and then another flight, although on AA, you can put in parenthesis that its a Delta partner, and it suddenly makes it alright with everyone. And you really wouldn't be lying either if you were the travel agency, since both carriers have interline agreements with each other and could be considered "partners."
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

litz

Sat May 06, 2006 10:10 am

Except this wasn't from a travel agency (although it was booked through my employer's corporate travel office) - the picture linked above is direct from DL's website, showing the outbound DL flight, and AA returns.

- litz

jetdeltamsy

Sat May 06, 2006 2:54 pm

Quoting Litz (Thread starter):

You may accrue Skymiles for AA domestic segments. But that's as far as the cooperation goes.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sat May 06, 2006 2:59 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 13):
You may accrue Skymiles for AA domestic segments. But that's as far as the cooperation goes.

As far as I know you would not get Skymiles for the AA flights listed on your itinerary as those AA flights are not codeshare fligts with DL. Only DL codeshare flights with AA Eagle would accrue Skymiles.

jetdeltamsy

Sat May 06, 2006 3:03 pm

B

Quoting DL Widget Head (Reply 14):
As far as I know you would not get Skymiles for the AA flights listed on your itinerary as those AA flights are not codeshare fligts with DL. Only DL codeshare flights with AA Eagle would accrue Skymiles.

Nope. All domestic AA flights are valid for accrual of Skymiles.

It's not advertised at all, but it's a fact.

Call the Skymiles desk and ask.

edit....now i'm not sure. we used to have an agreement with AA. i think it's still in effect, but i can't find any info on it.

[Edited 2006-05-06 08:06:20]
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sat May 06, 2006 3:25 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 15):
Nope. All domestic AA flights are valid for accrual of Skymiles.

It's not advertised at all, but it's a fact.

Call the Skymiles desk and ask.

I just checked the DL website. There is no FF agreement in place with AA other than the AA Eagle flights that DL puts their code on.

LTU932

Sat May 06, 2006 3:36 pm

Quoting DL Widget Head (Reply 16):
I just checked the DL website. There is no FF agreement in place with AA other than the AA Eagle flights that DL puts their code on.

Still, it does seem strange. It reminds me of the time DL labeled the airport code SJO on their website as Helsinki, Finland.  Confused I still have the screenshot of that typo somewhere.

lincoln

Sat May 06, 2006 11:00 pm

My vote is in the "bug"/interline category... Looks like someone decided that "If 2 letter airline code is not 'DL' then display 'Delta Partner' message"

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos