A388
Topic Author

Etops In The Caribbean, Question

Sun May 07, 2006 3:36 am

Hi,

I was surfing the justplanes.com website and am planning on buying the dvd's of Air Austral (772) and Air Caraibes (A332). I was wondering how did these airlines obtain ETOPS certification. I constantly read about how difficult it is to obtain ETOPS certification and that the conditions to obtain it are very strict. For instance, I remember reading several times here in the forum about BW and Trinidad not being able to meet the conditions to get ETOPS certification. Why is this and how come airlines such as Air Caraibes and Air Austral for that matter, were able to get this? Is it because they operate French registrated aircraft and possibly french crew too which means these airlines operate ETOPS flights as being a "French airline" and not a local airline of Guadeloupe/Martinique or Reunion? How does this work?

A388

RichardPrice

RE: Etops In The Caribbean, Question

Sun May 07, 2006 3:51 am

ETOPS certification is made on both a type (eg A330, 777) basis to the manufacturer and to the individual airlines that seek it. The airline needs to demonstrate that its maintenance regime is good enough to sustain an aircraft at the required certification level, if it cant then it doesnt get ETOPS certification regardless of what country its operating under.

A388
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 1):
ETOPS certification is made on both a type (eg A330, 777) basis to the manufacturer and to the individual airlines that seek it. The airline needs to demonstrate that its maintenance regime is good enough to sustain an aircraft at the required certification level, if it cant then it doesnt get ETOPS certification regardless of what country its operating under.

So this explains why Air Caraibes and Air Austral operate ETOPS flights to Europe because their aircraft are maintained and operated by French companies who meet the ETOPS requirements, right? But I also read somewhere that ETOPS operations are determined by the airport itself and the equipment/facilities used. What rolls do the airport and the local aviation authority play in getting ETOPS certification?

A388

captaink

Sun May 07, 2006 4:23 am

Trinidad until was downgraded by the FAA to Cat2. That was BW's problem. Recently it has been upgraded to Cat1, all OECS countries are also now Cat1. Martinique, Guadeloupe etc are French Territories.
There is something special about planes....