AirframeAS
Topic Author

HP/US Bankruptcy History

Mon May 08, 2006 6:29 am

First off to the forum Mods: Damn search button. Its not working when I make a search before I start a new thread. Can this be fixed? Absolutely nothing can be found no matter what you're looking for.

Now to my thread:

Me and my HP/US employee friend are haveing a debate about past bk's between HP & US. He tells me that HP has had 3 bankruptcies and US has had 7. I disagreed with him and told him that HP has had 1 (post-747 days) and US has had 3, I think.

What's the REAL deal pre-merger? Any specific dates please.

Thanks.

Ps....This probably has been discussed before, but like I said earlier: damn search option isn't working. Argh!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

mah584jr

RE: HP/US Bankruptcy History

Mon May 08, 2006 7:19 am

HP only went bankrupt once, from June 27th, 1991 to August 25th, 1994.
US Airways went twice, in 2002 and 2004.

petmbro

Mon May 08, 2006 7:23 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Thread starter):
I disagreed with him and told him that HP has had 1 (post-747 days) and US has had 3, I think.

As mentioned HP did file for bankruptcy in 1991 after the 747 service since they were a huge financial drain. US filed on August 11, 2002 and then again on September 12, 2004 and left after the merger on September 27, 2005. Hopefully the new US will have a happy and successful future and make bankruptcy a thing of the past.

[Edited 2006-05-08 00:27:48]
"don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!" - Judge Judy

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2006 7:46 am

So I was partly right. HP once (I was correct on that one...) And US 3 times (I was incorrect on that one..) Which now I know US had two.

First, my friend says the PSA Heritage jet flew to HNL and now this. What the heck! And what's worse, he's a HP employee!!

redflyer

Mon May 08, 2006 10:53 am

Quoting Petmbro (Reply 2):
As mentioned HP did file for bankruptcy in 1991 after the 747 service since they were a huge financial drain.

I read somewhere a while back that they used the 747's for a Hawaii and Nagoya run, with the Nagoya flights running at less than half full (I'm assuming the Hawaii flights were also running at less than optimal loads). What was the business reason for running a 747 to these destinations from PHX? While I know the first Gulf War led to the end of their 747 service to these destinations, and ultimately to their trip through BK, was the 747 service at least profitable in the early years?

It just seems odd, given their expansion in the 80's to continental U.S. destinations, that they would pick these two out of the way destinations. Seems like it was off their beaten path. That's why I'd appreciate knowing the reasoning behind CEO Beauvais' decision to fly there.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

mah584jr

Mon May 08, 2006 11:21 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 4):
That's why I'd appreciate knowing the reasoning behind CEO Beauvais' decision to fly there.

The CEO thought that he would be able to fly across the pacific when he first purchased them, but he was denied service to Sydney, so he flew to Honolulu and JFK from both of their hubs. The JFK service was cancelled after a short stint. He then applied for a route to Tokyo but was denied this as well, so he settled for Nagoya service. The route lost them a lot of money and the first flight only carried one passenger! Four months after starting the Nagoya service the airline filed for bankruptcy, on June 27, 1991. The 747 was way to large for Hawaii service, while the Nagoya service just didn't have the demand. The 747 service was finally scrapped during bankruptcy on September 9, 1992.

USPIT10L

Mon May 08, 2006 1:25 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Thread starter):
He tells me that HP has had 3 bankruptcies and US has had 7

How would your friend have figured US Airways has had seven bankruptcies?!?
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2006 3:23 am

USPIT10L: He tells me another co-worker (16 year HP employee) tells him that US has had 7 bankruptcies. I knew that wasn't true but he kept on insisting that it was. Obviously, he isn't very educated on airline history and is always incorrect in alot of stuff. The worst part is he is a 5 year HP employee......wtf?! Makes me feel sad for him. Nice guy but......

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos