stl1326

STL AA Changes....

Mon May 08, 2006 7:21 am

As of 9/6 the following changes will occur:
DCA goes all mainline to 4x MD-80
MSY goes all mainline to 2x MD-80
DFW adds one to 9x mix of MD-80 and 757
SEA drops one to 2x MD-80 (seasonal drop)
SFO drops one to 2x MD-80 (seasonal drop)
SAT loses mainline flight and goes to 4x ERJ's
Overall, mainline flights drop one to 57 from 58. I'm suprised by the SAT drop. I thought that would be a busy business route with SBC/AT&T. The flight always looked full. If anyone else sees any other changes please post them.

atrude777

RE: STL AA Changes....

Mon May 08, 2006 7:38 am

Looks like some healthy changes and opposite what LambertMan had posted I hope this is the way AA is going by adding mainline!!

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

TIA

Mon May 08, 2006 7:48 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 1):
Looks like some healthy changes and opposite what LambertMan had posted I hope this is the way AA is going by adding mainline!!

You did read what was written, right?

Quoting Stl1326 (Thread starter):
Overall, mainline flights drop one to 57 from 58

atrude777

Mon May 08, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting TIA (Reply 2):
You did read what was written, right?

I sure did, I am deaf not blind  Wink

We are going to see flunctuation with AA at STL this is expected, I would be surprised to see more addition then I would be to see reduction.

What Lambertman was talking about was a near complete drop of all mainline flights, this is one mainline drop. Not bad at all and completely expected for AA at STL.

If anything I wonder if our freqeuncy was added now.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

CIDFlyer

Mon May 08, 2006 8:55 am

Any word on when AA Connection will move from B over to C. Last I heard that was pushed back towards the end of this year...

stl1326

Mon May 08, 2006 10:36 am

Quoting CIDflyer (Reply 4):
Any word on when AA Connection will move from B over to C. Last I heard that was pushed back towards the end of this year...

I'm guessing you mean the props. I thought somebody said they would be moving in the fall.

Boeing Nut

Mon May 08, 2006 10:43 am

Quoting Stl1326 (Reply 5):

Last I heard the move was scheduled for October. I'll do some fishing tomorrow and see what I can find out. Personally I hope it's much sooner than later.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

moman

Mon May 08, 2006 11:52 am

So far they are keeping STL-TPA 2x daily. This is good because ASAIR, they always go to 1x in the summer.

Of course their times are silly; the winter 4:40 PM flight to TPA was much appreciated and it would be great if they would keep it year round and move the TPA-STL afternoon flight to 5 from 3:45 PM.

I loved the 750PM TWA flight; took that many times and I connected through STL whenever possible just to drive traffic on that flight. Guess it wasn't enough.  Smile
AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

777STL

Mon May 08, 2006 12:13 pm

Whenever the modifications being made to the end of C are done, I'd imagine.
PHX based

Boeing Nut

Mon May 08, 2006 11:33 pm

Quoting 777STL (Reply 8):

Whenever the modifications being made to the end of C are done, I'd imagine.

Just did some "fishing" and the move is still scheduled for October but with no firm date known. Renovations are planned but the details on those plans are still in the planning stage. Escalators are a strong possibility.

CIDFlyer

Tue May 09, 2006 7:10 am

Quoting Boeing nut (Reply 9):
Just did some "fishing" and the move is still scheduled for October but with no firm date known. Renovations are planned but the details on those plans are still in the planning stage. Escalators are a strong possibility

cool, thanks for the info! Been a while since I have been thru STL. Hopefully by moving all AA ops to C will make the concourse a bustling place again!

stl1326

Tue May 09, 2006 11:11 pm

Quoting Boeing nut (Reply 9):
Just did some "fishing" and the move is still scheduled for October but with no firm date known. Renovations are planned but the details on those plans are still in the planning stage. Escalators are a strong possibility.

I wonder what type of renovations will occur. All the props would be located at the end of the C concourse, right? Interesting about the escalators though. How would that work? Also, are the plasma screens in operation yet?

Boeing Nut

Tue May 09, 2006 11:33 pm

Quoting Stl1326 (Reply 11):
I wonder what type of renovations will occur.

I'm not sure, but my guess would be a continuation of the renovations that are occuring in the beginning of C concourse.

All the props would be located at the end of the C concourse, right?

Not quite. My understanding is that thier main gate will be C31. Then Trans States will "heard" the passengers to thier respective aircraft from there. No covered access, which to me is stupid, but oh well..........

Interesting about the escalators though. How would that work?

I imagine the escalators will be "cutom fit" installed on the outside of the biulding, yet designed with over head protection from the elements, but that's a guess.

Also, are the plasma screens in operation yet?

No, and for the life of me I have no idea why. The damned things have been up for months now.

Boeing Nut

Wed May 10, 2006 1:13 am

Quoting Boeing nut (Reply 12):
Also, are the plasma screens in operation yet?

No, and for the life of me I have no idea why. The damned things have been up for months now.

I stand corrected!!! They are sporatically coming on line! One by the C & D checkopint, one at the C concourse "elbow" and one at the end of the B concourse. No gate screens are on line yet as I write this. Nice to see though - finally.

PVD757

Wed May 10, 2006 1:39 am

I'm suprised by the SAT drop. I

Did UA's build-up of SAT include STL??? If so, this might be part of the reason. All in all, AA seems to be simply squeezing capacity in most markets less the largest of the large...

atrude777

Wed May 10, 2006 1:44 am

Quoting PVD757 (Reply 14):

Did UA's build-up of SAT include STL??? If so, this might be part of the reason. All in all, AA seems to be simply squeezing capacity in most markets less the largest of the large...

No, only AA flies STL-SAT n/s, it isn't even offered by Southwest (which surprises me also but I hope to see it soon with the addition of DAL coming into the line).

Quoting Boeing Nut (Reply 13):
I stand corrected!!! They are sporatically coming on line! One by the C & D checkopint, one at the C concourse "elbow" and one at the end of the B concourse. No gate screens are on line yet as I write this. Nice to see though - finally.

These are just the flight information screens correct? not the ones we see at the gate, because those are not "working" just simply using plastic city names right?

Boeing Nut

Wed May 10, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 15):
These are just the flight information screens correct? not the ones we see at the gate, because those are not "working" just simply using plastic city names right?

Correct.

mrstl

Wed May 10, 2006 2:33 am

I'm suprised by the SAT drop. I

I think the added frequency is good for the business traveler and AA will be able to maximize the fare and push more people through DAL to connect to SAT on lower fare tickets. Just a guess. UA is not serving STL-SAT they are serving STL-MSY. AA will make MSY all mainline from STL 2XMD80

stl1326

Wed May 10, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting Boeing Nut (Reply 13):

Thanks for all the information. I'm flying on American in two weeks and was hoping to get to see all the improvements in the C concourse since I haven't been in there since last year.

BHMNONREV

Wed May 10, 2006 3:42 pm

Quoting Boeing Nut (Reply 6):

Last I heard the move was scheduled for October. I'll do some fishing tomorrow and see what I can find out. Personally I hope it's much sooner than later.

Boeing Nut, have you heard any scuttlebutt about what will happen to "B" when AX moves out? I know there is a lot of new carpets, etc but are there any plans to re-install some jetways and maybe shift some carriers from "A" where some much needed renovations can take place?

stlgph

Wed May 10, 2006 3:55 pm

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 19):
I know there is a lot of new carpets, etc but are there any plans to re-install some jetways and maybe shift some carriers from "A" where some much needed renovations can take place?

There are two carriers presently serving STL that are interested in a move to the B Concourse pending the addition of jetways to the gate areas.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

BHMNONREV

Wed May 10, 2006 4:09 pm

Quoting Stlgph (Reply 20):
There are two carriers presently serving STL that are interested in a move to the B Concourse pending the addition of jetways to the gate areas.

OK Gavin...I will play here. I have not the first clue about who those two would be, but I will speculate.

Frontier-If nothing else, it will allow them to get out of that wasteland otherwise known as Concourse "D".

Northwest-A move to "B" would allow them to start flying Airbuses to STL, currently not possible with them tucked into the area at the beginning of "A". The gate number escapes me, either A1 or A2.

Can't think of anyone else who would need to move, and I have not heard of any airlines looking to increase flights but are unable to do so because of limited gate space. Would be nice to see "B" turned into an alliance concourse Skyteam (CO, DL, NW) or Star (UA, US)

Boeing Nut

Wed May 10, 2006 9:35 pm

Quoting Stlgph (Reply 20):

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 21):
Frontier-If nothing else, it will allow them to get out of that wasteland otherwise known as Concourse "D".

That's one. US Airways is the other rumored one. I remember when the rumors were hot and heavy that they were in contention to merge with TWA. I have absolutely no time frame when that, along with the jetway installation, would occur however.

mrstl

Wed May 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Quoting Boeing nut (Reply 22):
US Airways

It would be nice to see an US Airways expansion in STL! Not that a move would indicate an expansion. While I'm dreaming it would also be nice to see JetBlue take over the entire D concourse.  wink 

Boeing Nut

Wed May 10, 2006 11:35 pm

Quoting MrSTL (Reply 23):
While I'm dreaming it would also be nice to see JetBlue take over the entire D concourse.

That's still a possibility. Whenever I talk to the higher ups, JetBlue has always been mentioned as "the next airline" at STL.

atrude777

Wed May 10, 2006 11:58 pm

Northwest-A move to "B" would allow them to start flying Airbuses to STL, currently not possible with them tucked into the area at the beginning of "A". The gate number escapes me, either A1 or A2.

I also considered NWA too, since they want to bring the Airbus in. NWA is at A-3 and A-5 in the A concourse.

Quoting MrSTL (Reply 23):

It would be nice to see an US Airways expansion in STL! Not that a move would indicate an expansion. While I'm dreaming it would also be nice to see JetBlue take over the entire D concourse.

Maybe not totally unrealistic...Maybe a flight to LAS, then DCA or FLL? All focus cities by US Airways not served from STL n/s with them.

Quoting Boeing Nut (Reply 24):
That's still a possibility. Whenever I talk to the higher ups, JetBlue has always been mentioned as "the next airline" at STL.

to quote a verse from a song "if im dreaming please don't wake me up!"

Next new airline at STL sure I can get, but the entire concourse? Good lord!

Alex

OzarkD9S

Thu May 11, 2006 12:45 am

I would love to see US take over all of B and "focus city" STL. Pipe dream I know, BUT: at one time in the 90's US had flights to PIT, PHL and CLT plus shortlived services to MCI, MCO, DCA and LGA in some attempt to slap around TWA for some now-forgotten transgression. Or maybe they were just positioning themselves for a TWA shut down.

It wouldn't be inconceivable for STL to be on US's radar now...good location between the combined HP/US hubs, a seemingly disinterested AA and WN, new runway, and the best positioned concourse opening up for a small focus operation (10 or 12 gates depending on reconfiguration and centrally located in the terminal.)

All the new E-jet's coming online could fly from STL to virtually any point in the domestic US system.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

jmy007

Thu May 11, 2006 1:01 am

IIRC, B used to have jetways. When where those taken away?
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

atrude777

Thu May 11, 2006 1:17 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 26):

Very Interesting. How interested IS US if they are into STL? As I said earlier I wouldn't be surprised to see DCA, FLL and LAS added back anything else more would be a shock to me.

Quoting Jmy007 (Reply 27):

I THINK in the late 80's?

OzarkD9S

Thu May 11, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 28):

How interested IS US if they are into STL?

Pure speculation on my part, but they have shown interest in the past. It seems to me that given STL's location, decent population and the amount of empty gates they have, plus the new runway, STL is bound to be looked at by any carrier looking to expand in the Midwest, or in need of a small hub in the area.

FL, B6, F9 and US seem the most likely candidates to set up shop here with more than flights to thier respective hubs.

The AA commitment to STL has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum, and even if it is supposedly a profitable operation for them at this time, MY opinion is they wouldn't put up much of a fight if STL was seriously invaded by an LCC with designs on building a true hub here.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

LambertMan

Thu May 11, 2006 3:39 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 25):
I also considered NWA too, since they want to bring the Airbus in. NWA is at A-3 and A-5 in the A concourse.

Someone on this forum recently said that the Airbus could fit into A-5?

Quoting Boeing nut (Reply 22):
That's one. US Airways is the other rumored one. I remember when the rumors were hot and heavy that they were in contention to merge with TWA. I have absolutely no time frame when that, along with the jetway installation, would occur however.

How many gates could be fit into concourse B? I would guess about 5? It could house US, F9, and potentially B6. F9's tenure in the D concourse was contingent on their possible future expansion of STL, correct?

atrude777

Thu May 11, 2006 3:39 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 29):
FL, B6, F9 and US seem the most likely candidates to set up shop here with more than flights to thier respective hubs.

Have heard tim and time again AirTran is just NOT interetsed in STL at the moment.

We will see.

Boeing Nut

Thu May 11, 2006 4:59 am

Quoting Jmy007 (Reply 27):

B1, B3 and B5 were still in existence when I started working for the airport authority back in '97, but were removed shortly there after. The rest were in the process of being removed for Trans States.

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 30):
How many gates could be fit into concourse B? I would guess about 5?

It will really depend on the type of aircraft that will be "based" here. If the intention is for E-jet sized and smaller, then we could be talking almost ten. I say this since AA Connection has dedicated RJ gates on C. If we are talking mainline sized, then I can't see more than eight at max. Especially with the relocation of taxilane Charlie.

OzarkD9S

Thu May 11, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 31):

Have heard tim and time again AirTran is just NOT interetsed in STL at the moment.

Nobody is apparently. Seems FL is happy picking up the stray gate here and there at other airports than doing anything major right now, especially in STL. But hope springs eternal!  Wink

stlgph

Thu May 11, 2006 7:02 am

Frontier

Northwest

Ding ding ding! Right on the first try.

atrude777

Thu May 11, 2006 9:34 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 31):
Have heard tim and time

Oops, I didn't see the edit, I meant Time and Time.....

Sorry!

stl1326

Thu May 11, 2006 9:43 am

Overall, mainline flights drop one to 57 from 58. I'm suprised by the SAT drop.

Not that it really matters but I did add the mainline flights wrong and really there is no change in mainline flights from the summer to the fall schedule so far. It is still at 58 as it stands right now.

BHMNONREV

Thu May 11, 2006 10:49 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 26):
and the best positioned concourse opening up for a small focus operation (10 or 12 gates depending on reconfiguration and centrally located in the terminal.)

How many gates could be fit into concourse B? I would guess about 5?

Quoting Boeing Nut (Reply 32):
If the intention is for E-jet sized and smaller, then we could be talking almost ten.

Last time I peeked on Google Earth, it looked like you could put two on the east side of the concourse, one on the west (if not for the tower there could be two) and three on the base of the "Y". You could probably squeeze in a couple more for E-jets.

As Ozark stated, the most desirable concourse in regards to convenience and appearance. I would think just about anyone in "A" would be beating down Dolliole's door to get over there.

Someone on this forum recently said that the Airbus could fit into A-5?

I think they can, but that effectively shuts down A-3 in the process. I remember in the mid-to-late 80's NW was running 727-200's to DTW and MEM and while they were parked at the gate A-3 could not be used, IIRC. And I'm sure the Airbus has a longer wingspan than the 727-200.

BHMNONREV

Thu May 11, 2006 2:29 pm

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 37):
Last time I peeked on Google Earth, it looked like you could put two on the east side of the concourse, one on the west (if not for the tower there could be two) and three on the base of the "Y". You could probably squeeze in a couple more for E-jets.

Pulled this off of Google Earth via Photobucket..

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h301/Bloozramz/1ed2a13b.jpg

Any ideas, suggestions??

stlgph

Thu May 11, 2006 4:08 pm

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 38):
Any ideas, suggestions??

start with tearing down the parking garage out front so you can see the wonderful terminal building in its glory!

BHMNONREV

Thu May 11, 2006 5:17 pm

Quoting Stlgph (Reply 39):
start with tearing down the parking garage out front so you can see the wonderful terminal building in its glory!

lol...no argument from me. In my ideal scenario part of the terminal would be located where the parking garage sits anyway, but the four domes would be part of any terminal centerpiece.

STL terminal designs. Sounds like the start of another thread..

Boeing Nut

Thu May 11, 2006 9:34 pm

Quoting Stlgph (Reply 39):
Any ideas, suggestions??

There is currently a big project going on with the parking garage to take care of the, IMO, massive deterioration of the garage. I think they would have been better off razing it and building a new one.

OzarkD9S

Fri May 12, 2006 12:56 am

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 38):

Any ideas, suggestions??

4 Jetways on the stem, 6-8 Jetways on the outer "Y". IIRC correctly, there were 10 mainline Jetways on the concourse when it was the AA concourse in the 60's 70's and early 80's. Ozark and TWA shared the concourse for a year or two before Concourse D was completed for OZ.

BHMNONREV

Fri May 12, 2006 5:26 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 42):
4 Jetways on the stem, 6-8 Jetways on the outer "Y". IIRC correctly, there were 10 mainline Jetways on the concourse when it was the AA concourse in the 60's 70's and early 80's. Ozark and TWA shared the concourse for a year or two before Concourse D was completed for OZ.

You may be right about the number of jetways on B, although I personally don't remember that many. I believe the majority of the jetways were installed on the concourses starting in 1977. Prior to the concourses getting double decked there were 6 or 8 ground level gates on B, with AA having the west side and TWA and Frontier sharing the east side. Here are a couple photos from the data base from the 70's;

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Clinton Lincoln
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John F. Ciesla

The one from the left, 1973 shows the east side, ground level, where the right shows the east side from 1977, with jetways. I'm almost positive they were installed earlier that year..

[Edited 2006-05-12 10:43:02]