clo1973

Emergency Landing Of Copa Flight In Cali

Tue May 09, 2006 12:02 pm

On sunday May 7th, flight 200 from CLO to PTY had to return to the airport shortly after take off.

Passengers aboard the plane reported "a smell like burning rubber" and "signs of smoke". I guess what happened was some kind of short circuit at some point within the electrical system of the plane. The plane was a 737-700.

Besides what I just mentioned it would be interesting if some of us post their "scariest" experiences aboard a plane (severe turbulence, mechanical failure etc..)

RCS763AV

RE: Emergency Landing Of Copa Flight In Cali

Wed May 10, 2006 12:18 am

The exact same thing happened to me on a P5 flight to Leticia (MD-83), only its smelled like burnt chicken. Ten minutes after take off we were back in BOG. Then, after 2 hours waiting for them to fix the plane, we took off again to LET, oonly this time we got there but we could land b/c is was clogged with dense clouds, so we landed in RBR (Rio Branco, Brazil).....where they had us waiting for 9 hours in a tiny waiting room and them P5 locked us up in the plane with no air conditioning to give us mini sandwiches and pop....then they took us to the police station to check our passports (why did they do this the airport seemed international, there was a peruvian plane there) and we finally got to sleep a 4 am in the crappiest hotel ever, only to be waken up at 7 to take the flight back to LET......

I just love P5.... banghead 

777jaah

Wed May 10, 2006 12:49 am

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 1):
check our passports

What if you didn't have your passport with you?? AFAIK you don't need a passport to travel to BOG-LET........

How far is RBR from LET?? Sorry for my ignorance........
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

RCS763AV

Wed May 10, 2006 1:34 am

Quoting 777jaah (Reply 2):
What if you didn't have your passport with you?? AFAIK you don't need a passport to travel to BOG-LET........

How far is RBR from LET?? Sorry for my ignorance........

Well we still had our passports because we were going to pass to Brazil...but my Canadian teacher got in trouble but after a fight they uderstood that the flight was not supposed to land there!

RBR is 55 minutes away from LET, near Bolivia.  Smile

MATURRO727

Wed May 10, 2006 11:31 am

LOL ! i was on that flight also..... anyway good old times roberto you know it. b/c one hour later you wern't complaining about the cold beer of the mini bar that you were drinking

ohh BTW you can't blame P5 for that incident, Leticia was closed and Iquitos(the altern) was closed also, and you cant expect that the Capitan takes out 18.000USD of his pocket to refuel the plane, pay us the hotel and transportation, besides the crew duty expired 1 hour after landing and all the other people in the plane had no passport so it complicated the situation with the Brazilian police, beside it was a damn sunday and all the offices were closed... you know it was a mess but it was not P5's fault, in fact they were a very kind and cool crew, the capitan even sat me in the Jump seat in the flight back to LET.

Many people didn't enjoyed the experience but i think it was cool, maybe if you are with your grandma in a waiting room sat for 6 hours well it is very boring indeed but being with all your school mates its kind a cool. but thats just me.

regards

MATURRO727

Cheers

RCS763AV

Wed May 10, 2006 10:06 pm

Quoting MATURRO727 (Reply 4):
LOL ! i was on that flight also..... anyway good old times roberto you know it. b/c one hour later you wern't complaining about the cold beer of the mini bar that you were drinking

Indeed! It was a good experience and i cant blame P5 for the incident the only thing i blame them for is making us wait so long in RBR! If it wasnt b/c we were with our friends it would have been hell....