UAL747
Topic Author

Things You Find Weird In Aviation

Wed May 10, 2006 8:47 am

How about a thread about weird/strange/remarkable things you find in aviation.

Here's my contribution:

At LHR, in the mornings, you are probably going to see the largest collection of US based 777's in the world at one airport. Not even in the US does one airport see that many US based 777's at one particular time.

Your turn......

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

2H4

RE: Things You Find Weird In Aviation

Wed May 10, 2006 8:52 am

We trust pilots with the lives of hundreds of people at a time in the most demanding airspace and weather conditions imaginable, yet we still harass them at TSA "security" checkpoints.

Actually, I think that's more tragic than wierd....

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

irobertson

Wed May 10, 2006 8:52 am

That I can fly from Toronto to Montreal (1hr:10min) on Air Canada and upon booking, have my choice of practically every type of aircraft in their fleet, depending on what time of day I want to go. I'm not just talking the ERJs and A319/320s, I mean A330s and 767s too! Only one I haven't seen is the A343/5. Any reason for this? Are the continuing on overseas and just make the stop for more passengers? They certainly can't be having that kind of traffic on that route to warrant filling an A330...

citationjet

Wed May 10, 2006 10:04 am

You can stand up and walk around an airplane flying at 600 mph, but when you are taxiing at 20 mph you must "remain in your seats with your seat belts fastened until the captain has parked the plane at the gate and the seat belt sign is turned off".

People wouldn't drive a 30 year old car across the state, but don't think a thing about flying in a 30 year old airplane much further.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

flymia

Wed May 10, 2006 10:31 am

What about this one. 500,000lb metal tubes with big fans and wings flying across the world. Who would have ever thought that Aviation would come to what it is today!  Smile
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

varigb707

Wed May 10, 2006 3:32 pm

I find weird the way passengers are treated by the airline employees.
First, the curbside guy. He will toss your luggage better than olympic athlet going for the gold medal.
Next, the ticketing agent. Dare not asking them any questions or you'll the silent treatment.
Then, the flight attendants. I'm sure they wouldn't mind using a whip on all of us, if that'd be permited by law.
Finally, upon arrival when your luggage is nowhere to be found, the baggage claim staff. They will look down on you and with a (sarcasti) smile on their faces, they tell you "your baggage will be on the next flight".
And don't get me started with the ticket prices....
 banghead 
LOL
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

AlexPorter

Wed May 10, 2006 3:45 pm

- That it only took 54 years to get from the Wright Brothers to the 707!
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

scoliodon

Wed May 10, 2006 3:50 pm

That there are only a handful of commercial aircraft manufacturers in the world!
JFK-LGA-EWR-DTW-IND-PHX-CLE-SFO-LAS-SEA-ORD-MCO-MIA-DFW-ATL-CDG-FRA-BOM-MAA-DEL-TRZ-DXB-CLT-CVG-DEN-MSP

SapphireLHR

Wed May 10, 2006 5:44 pm

What always amazed me was that a fighter pilot to fly at a mere Mach 1 had to be extremely fit, pass a very tough medical, wear a pressure suit, helmet and googles and wear a parachute and then be able to fly only for a limited amount of time at that speed.....BUT you could fly at + Mach 2, be a 100 year old Granny, not have to supply even a medical certificate, sit in your own clothes in comfort sipping Champagne for hours on a Concorde flight....SPOOKY !!!!

richierich

Thu May 11, 2006 2:10 am

One of the weirdest parts of any airline to me is the pricing structure. It sort of defies logic sometimes.

I could book a flight one day at a set price, but the next day it could have gone up $50. Or down $50. Demand is an invisible variable to the consumer. The guy sitting next to me could have paid double what I paid. Or 20% less.

Leaving from a small regional airport can sometimes save you money; other times it can cost you hundreds more. Flying direct is usually cheaper than connecting, where possible, but not always.

I know very well that there is a "method to the madness" but it is sort of a mystery nonetheless.
None shall pass!!!!

RobK

Thu May 11, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 4):
What about this one. 500,000lb metal tubes with big fans and wings flying across the world. Who would have ever thought that Aviation would come to what it is today!

Agreed! Still amazes me now when I see a 747 lift off the ground. Yes with enough thrust and a couple of bits of metal shaped just so, anything will become airborne, but something the size and weight of a 747?!! Mind-boggling!

R

fbgdavidson

Thu May 11, 2006 4:44 am

One of the things I find weird is frequent flyers demanding free upgrades to First Class and then complaining when the service isn't up to much. What gives? Thinking primarily of AA EXPs here...

Quoting Richierich (Reply 9):
One of the weirdest parts of any airline to me is the pricing structure. It sort of defies logic sometimes.

I'm sure you've seen this web page then  Smile

Quoting SapphireLHR (Reply 8):
What always amazed me was that a fighter pilot to fly at a mere Mach 1 had to be extremely fit, pass a very tough medical, wear a pressure suit, helmet and googles and wear a parachute and then be able to fly only for a limited amount of time at that speed.....BUT you could fly at + Mach 2, be a 100 year old Granny, not have to supply even a medical certificate, sit in your own clothes in comfort sipping Champagne for hours on a Concorde flight....SPOOKY !!!!

I presume you have seen the Timewatch documentary on Concorde where one of the guys who worked on the project (can't remember the role) was sitting onboard a flight and was somewhat annoyed that the team had gone to enormous effort to get the aircraft supersonic and one of a kind etc, yet nobody was getting up in the aisles and cheering about it. Then it struck him that was the whole point of the aircraft. It made supersonic travel normal!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Ncfc99

Thu May 11, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting CitationJet (Reply 3):
You can stand up and walk around an airplane flying at 600 mph, but when you are taxiing at 20 mph you must "remain in your seats with your seat belts fastened until the captain has parked the plane at the gate and the seat belt sign is turned off".

Fantastic, LMAO

Quoting RobK (Reply 10):
Agreed! Still amazes me now when I see a 747 lift off the ground. Yes with enough thrust and a couple of bits of metal shaped just so, anything will become airborne, but something the size and weight of a 747?!! Mind-boggling!

How do they get over 400 tonnes of stuff into the air and keep it there. You're right, it is mind boggling!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StarAC17

Thu May 11, 2006 5:20 am

I find it wierd that a one-way ticket is more expensive than a round-trip ticket.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

CPDC10-30

Thu May 11, 2006 5:37 am

They certainly can't be having that kind of traffic on that route to warrant filling an A330...

Every time I've been on the A330 YUL-YYZ, it has been completely full. Its just to increase the aircraft utilization. Plus, it is a nice bonus for frequent business travellers.

I would say the most amazing (but not really weird) thing in aviation is the fast progress in the 1950s-early 70s and the relativley small progress since then. We went from F-86 Sabres to F-14s and F-15s, and DH Comets to the Concorde, B747-100/200, DC-10, A300 and L1011. There haven't really been any great leaps since then IMHO, just gradual improvements.

EGGP

Thu May 11, 2006 5:54 am

That we put our safety in a product that is made from parts provided from companies that sell them at the lowest possible price....  Confused

MD88Captain

Thu May 11, 2006 6:24 am

It amazes me that anyone actually invests in this industry. It amazes me that the experts cannot make any money running these companies, yet everyone thinks they know a better way. It still amazes me when a big airplane takes flight. It amazes me that a huge aircraft can touch down so softly that you (the pilot flying) cannot actually know whether your on the ground or not without referencing the autospoilers. Wing flex amazes me. The base nature of the flying public amazes me at times. And the graciousness of the occasional passenger amazes me. Sunrises and sunsets in cruise, the beauty of the earth and sky, the beauty of thunderstorms, and the stars over the ocean amaze me. It truly is an awsome profession.

B6JFKH81

Thu May 11, 2006 6:49 am

It amazes me that customers think that an airline should charge the same price they charged 3 years ago to go on the same flight...because gasoline prices increasing has nothing to do with jet fuel prices LOL!  banghead 
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

Stealthz

Thu May 11, 2006 7:45 am

Quoting CPDC10-30 (Reply 14):
We went from F-86 Sabres to F-14s and F-15s, and DH Comets to the Concorde, B747-100/200, DC-10, A300 and L1011.

A couple of years back a few of us were having a DVD night and watched "Midway" then "Final Countdown" (USS Nimitz transported back to the day before Pearl Harbour) and a friend commented it was remarkable that in only 30 years,1942-1972 they had gone from Essex/Yorktown with Wildcats etc to the Nimitz and F-14s. I thought it more remarkable that in the next 32 years they had gone from the Nimitz and Tomcats to.... well the Nimitz and Tomcats.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

Springbok295

Thu May 11, 2006 7:51 am

Not weird but worrying when flying on a middle eastern airline and suddenly both pilots come out the cockpit get on their knees facing east and start praying!
Springbok 295, the flight that never made it home, 28 November 1987, may they rest in peace.

timboflier215

Thu May 11, 2006 7:59 am

The fact that a common form of transport can arouse so much emotion in people!

galleyhag

Thu May 11, 2006 8:04 am

The fact that people leave their brains at home when they enter an aiport and ask stupid questions

CYatUK

Thu May 11, 2006 8:13 am

Weird?

The fact that tickets only have a minimum price (a "FROM" price eg from £39 inc taxes) but not a maximum limit.

So you can get a seat for as little as £25 while the person sitting next to you has paid £250.
CY@Uk

kazzie

Thu May 11, 2006 8:23 am

Quoting Galleyhag (Reply 21):
The fact that people leave their brains at home when they enter an aiport and ask stupid questions

So true... From today:

Me: Hello, are you flying to Reus?
PAX: No
Me: Where are you flying to?
PAX: Spain.

Also some others:

Me: There you go boarding from gate number 3 today at 1300.
PAX: Whats a gate?

--

Me: Have you packed the bags yourself?
PAX: Lifts up hand luggage

--

Me: Anything sharp in your hold luggage
Pax: Are Razors sharp?

--
*Bear in mind we have all the destinations displayed above us*

Me: Morning sir, are you for the Milan flight
Pax: yes
Me *takes confirmation number*
Me: It does not match and your not on the manifest, your flying to Milan today yes
PAX: Yes.
Me: *Looks at Confirmation again * "It says here your flying to Vasteras sir?"
PAX: Vasteras, Yes.

--

PAX: A group of 25 of us to check-in
Me: ok no problem can I take you 1 at a time?
PAX: No no We are here to check-in
Me: Yes sir, but can I take each Passenger 1 at a time?
PAX: NO NO you NO Listen! We are flying and need to check-in!
Me: Yes I understand sir, I am going to check you all in 1 at a time..
PAX: no we are here to check-in! can we check in!
Me: Yes sir, I can check you all in but 1 at a time please to the desk.
PAX: NO NO we check-in now! Passengers here!

-----

Me:Hello sir, How many traveling?
PAX: 2 please
Me: Where is the other passenger?
PAX: Parking the car....

----

Me: Check-in will close in 5 mins if they are not here by then we have to close im afraid.
PAX: can you not hold the plane for us? We are hu8ngry and want to get something to eat.
Me: No
PAX: Why? That is UNFAIR and OUTRAGEOUS!
Me: *thinking* then why turn up at the last possible moment?
Bazinga punk.

wolsingerjet

Thu May 11, 2006 8:29 am

The fact you are in your uniform with a flightcrew pass on,and see the same security agents over and over again,and they still dont know who you are.Or the question I get the most ''are you operating a flight today''??? Ummmm what do you think I just put this uniform on to impress the chicks???Well I used to like the attention when I was new but now getting ready to get married and stuff has changed that...Security people need to pay more attention!!!
Guess what???I dont like you either...

AEROFAN

Thu May 11, 2006 8:43 am

Amazed - that we bitch, whine and moan about it, but still can't seem to get enough of the industry.

weird - that we don't have a second or even third generation viable sst.

galleyhag

Thu May 11, 2006 8:47 am

So typical Kazzie.

On a flight from IAD-MAN a few years back I was stood at doors 3 for boarding and a couple got on looking confused, trying to find the seat number locators. I went up and said 'hello, where are you trying to get to?' and she said 'Manchester - why, where are you going Dear?'. Oh dear. Could give thousands of examples, as we all could. I often wonder how people get themselves out of their house each day let alone to the other side of the world.

dtwclipper

Thu May 11, 2006 8:47 am

That 16-20 year olds know what airlines should charge for a seat.
Most Overpriced Airline With Worst Service Is... (by Checo77 May 11 2006 in Civil Aviation)
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

nwafflyer

Thu May 11, 2006 8:52 am

It amazes me that I have flown over 1 1/2 million flight miles, I don't know how many thousands of flight segments, and only once have had to evacuate a plane (and that was for smoke, a leisurely trip down the stairs). That says something for the safety of the industry

flymia

Thu May 11, 2006 9:02 am

There haven't really been any great leaps since then IMHO, just gradual improvements.

Well I would say that the 777 was nice improvement. Airbus with Fly by Wire. Twin engine trans-oceanic travel. Three man cockpit to 2 man cockpit. All these amazing Biz jets. The evolution of the RJ. TCAS. GPS. And the most important how much safety has improved. I guess not great leaps like DC-3 to 707 but still these are some very special and important things.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

fanofjets

Thu May 11, 2006 12:32 pm

In my home state, New Jersey (USA), an 18-year-old can sign up with the U.S. Air Force to fly jet fighters and put your life on the line in service to your country  box , but that same person will have to wait another year, until 19, to purchase and light up a cigarette.... crazy 
 scratchchin 
 banghead 
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

jetdeltamsy

Thu May 11, 2006 12:38 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Thread starter):
How about a thread about weird/strange/remarkable things you find in aviation.

How about our jargon.

The word "de-plane" makes me cringe every single time i hear it.

And we have a 2, 3, 4 or 5 letter codesn (and codewords) for just about everything. For example...PAWOB...Person Arriving Without Bags. Ugh. I mean..how much trouble is it to simply say "a person arrived without bags"? PAWOB??? Come on.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

Electech6299

Thu May 11, 2006 1:11 pm

Sheesh, you'd think that if you could trust the free ranging air under the wings to hold you up that you could trust air captured in the tires!

But then again, only pilots up there, not the rest of us lunatic drivers. (I like watching ramp rats drive almost as much as planes fly- they are more entertaining in short time spans and crash more often!)

Amazing? I'd have to agree with this:

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 6):
- That it only took 54 years to get from the Wright Brothers to the 707!

That's such a different step than the P-3 to the 707! And in the next 54 years, we have....A third-generation 707! (two wings, four rotary-vane engines and a tail...)

Weird? 1) That people actually pay to sit at a computer and talk about thinking about flying
2) That this thread is in civil av not polls and preferences
Send not to know for whom the bell tolls...it tolls for thee

scotron11

Thu May 11, 2006 2:26 pm

Foreign ownership rules! Don't make any sense to me.

louA340

Thu May 11, 2006 2:38 pm

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

In past years since the 1970's we could fly across the Atlantic in 3 hours but now in 2006 we have to do it in 6+ hours.
Come back Concorde.  crying 
RyEng

b6flyboy

Thu May 11, 2006 3:05 pm

That the when the departure time says 11:00 AM....You should not arive at the gate at 11:00 AM and expect your flight to be there...or for the agent to open up the aircraft door...crazy!
Your Seat Cushion Cannot Be Used As A Flotaion Device...

Airmech56

Fri May 12, 2006 12:08 am

I would say the most amazing (but not really weird) thing in aviation is the fast progress in the 1950s-early 70s and the relativley small progress since then. We went from F-86 Sabres to F-14s and F-15s, and DH Comets to the Concorde, B747-100/200, DC-10, A300 and L1011. There haven't really been any great leaps since then IMHO, just gradual improvements.

What the hell else do you want? Planes are staying in the air for almost 18 hours non-stop. Have you looked in the flightdeck of a 707 and a 777 ? You might be able to spot just a very few differences.

cancidas

Fri May 12, 2006 1:28 am

how stupid pax can be... they get off the plane and ask which way to the airport? ugh!!
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

aileron11

Fri May 12, 2006 1:57 am

The invention of the mile high club  couple . Also does anybody know when the mile high club started.
Jersey Lou

flyboy_se

Fri May 12, 2006 1:59 am

Quoting B6flyboy (Reply 35):
That the when the departure time says 11:00 AM....You should not arive at the gate at 11:00 AM and expect your flight to be there...or for the agent to open up the aircraft door...crazy!

well its not like you are going on a train. dont we all wish the plane could take off from the gate at exactly 11AM
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

litz

Fri May 12, 2006 2:55 am

Quoting Flyboy_se (Reply 39):
well its not like you are going on a train. dont we all wish the plane could take off from the gate at exactly 11AM

It's no different for the railroads ... a departure time is a departure time. The plane leaves the gate, the train starts rolling.

Either way, you can't expect to show up exactly AT the time of departure and get onboard. And yet, it happens all the time.

I saw an AA plat flyer just jawing away at a gate agent because he showed up 5 minutes before departure and the flight was dispatched.

"I have GOT to get on that plane!!! Do you know who I AM ?!?" etc.

To her credit, the GA just smiled and said "sir, if you don't get going to gate XX, you are going to miss your NEXT flight, too" ...

Smile

- litz

cxb744

Fri May 12, 2006 4:07 am

Quoting Springbok295 (Reply 19):
Not weird but worrying when flying on a middle eastern airline and suddenly both pilots come out the cockpit get on their knees facing east and start praying!

LOL, at least Goerge was running the show up front.  eyepopping 
What is it? It's A 747-400, but that's not important right now.

L1329II

Fri May 12, 2006 4:07 am

Depending upon where you live:

Your drive to the airport takes longer than the flight itself.
"By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

litz

Fri May 12, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting L1329II (Reply 42):
Depending upon where you live:

Your drive to the airport takes longer than the flight itself.

And what's scary is when you're including time for security and baggage pickup in that total ...

- litz

PanAm747

Fri May 12, 2006 5:35 am

What do I find wierd?

BFL, the largest metropolitan area west of the Mississippi river, projected to be one million people by the year 2015, cannot support a single RJ flight to DEN or DFW.

Yet later this year, it will receive mainline equipment (not seen since 1998), in the way of a 318 from Mexicana.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Bakersfield is going to be an international airport.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

BDL2DCA

Fri May 12, 2006 10:17 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 44):
BFL, the largest metropolitan area west of the Mississippi river,

Um unless I am mistaken, the cities of Denver, Dallas, Houston, Austin, St. Louis, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, and probably a bunch of places I'm not mentioning, would probably take issue with that statement.

Do you care to elaborate?  Wink
146,319,320,321,333,343,722,732,733,734,735,73G,738,744,752,762,763,772,ARJ,BE1,CRJ,D9S,D10,DH8,ERJ,E70,F100,S80

PanAm747

Fri May 12, 2006 10:30 am

Quote:
BFL, the largest metropolitan area west of the Mississippi river

Sorry, I meant to say the largest metropolitan area west of the Mississippi river that doesn't have a flight to DEN.

Sorry about that one!!  confused 
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

SapphireLHR

Fri May 12, 2006 3:24 pm

Quoting LouA340 (Reply 34):
In past years since the 1970's we could fly across
the Atlantic in 3 hours but now in 2006 we have to do it in 6+ hours.

The best quote I heard at the demise of Concorde flights was from the great Jeremy Clarkson "today its the equivalent of throwing away the vacuum cleaner and going back to the dustpan and brush".......brilliant.

What annoys and amazes me is that with all the great leaps in aviation, including the latest IRIS ( eye biometric clearance at immigration) being able to bypass all the huge queues at immigration by walking straight through, and then waiting 45 minutes for your bags and watching all those people that you bypassed getting their bags first and leaving baggage reclaim while you still wait for yours......!!

Stupid Questions.........
Pax: Where is my plane?
Me: Where are you flying to madam?
Pax: To see my daughter......
Me: OK, where does your daughter live?
Pax: In America......
Me: OK, where in America does she live?
Pax: She told me about an hour from the airport.....!!!!

Asked by a passenger at London Heathrow Terminal 1
Pax: Do you work here??
Me : Yes sir, how can I help...
Pax: When I arrive what number bus do I get from Athens Airport to the city centre??
Me: I am sorry sir but I really don't know...
Pax: (walking away in disgust...) Sorry I thought you said you worked here....

pilotaydin

Fri May 12, 2006 3:42 pm

Quoting VarigB707 (Reply 5):
Then, the flight attendants. I'm sure they wouldn't mind using a whip on all of us, if that'd be permited by law.

i think some people would like that  Wink lol
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

UpperDeck79

Fri May 12, 2006 5:31 pm

Quoting Kazzie (Reply 23):
PAX: A group of 25 of us to check-in
Me: ok no problem can I take you 1 at a time?
PAX: No no We are here to check-in
Me: Yes sir, but can I take each Passenger 1 at a time?
PAX: NO NO you NO Listen! We are flying and need to check-in!
Me: Yes I understand sir, I am going to check you all in 1 at a time..
PAX: no we are here to check-in! can we check in!
Me: Yes sir, I can check you all in but 1 at a time please to the desk.
PAX: NO NO we check-in now! Passengers here!

Totally off-topic, but native speakers of English should maybe consider that when a non-native speaker doesn't understand something it's probably best to change the phrase rather than louder the voice... Did you consider that maybe the passenger confused "1 at a time" with "1 o'clock" which sounds pretty similar and maybe that's why (s)he demanded to get checked-in right away..?
AY and ANA rock!