B742
Topic Author

Atlasjet To Begin Long Haul Flights

Thu May 11, 2006 12:29 am

Turkish Airline Atlasjet is to begin new long haul operations to the US by the end of the year!

The airline currently operates a fleet of 757's, A320's, A319's and CRJ-700's!

Atlasjet is to receive three former Virgin Atlantic (VS) A340-300's!

The new flights will all be from IST!

Does anyone know which VS aircraft they will receive (reg's)?

Any idea on routes; ORD, IAD, JFK, EWR, BOS, LAX, SFO?

www.atlasjet.com/

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John E. Jauchler
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jid Webb

Rob!  wave 

pilotjm

RE: Atlasjet To Begin Long Haul Flights

Thu May 11, 2006 12:43 am

never heard of that where did you get this info

MANmatt

Thu May 11, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting Pilotjm (Reply 1):
never heard of that where did you get this info

I've literally just read this myself. It's in this month's edition of Airliner World Magazine. Just says that they are purchasing 3 ex-VS A343s to launch long-haul ops to the states. Would think they would try JFK or EWR first, perhaps ORD as well or even IAD.

Matt

MAH4546

Thu May 11, 2006 12:51 am

A few years ago they applied with DOT to begin flights to Miami, but they never started. They will probably fly to New York City first.
a.

gokmengs

Thu May 11, 2006 1:19 am

That's interesting.
If they leave the VS interior( I highly doubt that) they would be a viable competitor to TK and DL on the IST-NYC route.
Gercekleri Tarih Yazar Tarihide Galatasaray

FCKC

Thu May 11, 2006 1:23 am

Do not know which Virgin A340s they will receive , but for sure it will not be G-VFLY , as it will be in the Finnair fleet next year.
Stunning great news to know some more color scheme will be seen on the A340.A so elegant plane.

bahadir

Thu May 11, 2006 1:48 am

It's been in the Turkish press on and off for about 6 months. I remember reading something on Hurriyet last Nov. about it, including some flights to Far East. I flew them AYT-IST last April and their A320 was in great condition and packed big time.

They lost a lot of market on the Turkish expat flying because of Oeger pull out; but they look like doing a pretty good job flying their own pax. Interestingly enough they had a lot of connecting pax to places in other parts of Turkey.

I think Atlas is a very good company and fills the gap that has been void since 1990 left by Istanbul Airlines.
Earthbound misfit I

andaman

Thu May 11, 2006 2:23 am

Quoting FCKC (Reply 5):
Do not know which Virgin A340s they will receive , but for sure it will not be G-VFLY , as it will be in the Finnair fleet next year

Not next year, already this summer actually.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

LAXintl

Thu May 11, 2006 2:33 am

As Bahadir mentions this has been in works since last fall and even mentioned in two post by myself.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/2387539
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/2657795

While the deal is not done yet, Atlasjet is working on securing Turkish traffic rights to initially serve one US destination and one Far-East destination. A second follow on US city along with other global destination's are being considered.

Unfortunately, Atlasjet at the moment somewhat finds itself in a little power vacuum following German tour operator Oger selling out its share in the company to ETS of Turkey. As a result much of the carrier plans have come under review as certain marketing assumptions particularly to Europe have changed.
Also tourism arrivals in Turkey have been off the first few months primarily a result of Bird Flu fears which does not help either.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

FCKC

Thu May 11, 2006 5:09 am

Andaman

Yes you are right , i made a mistake , as it is planned to arrive at AY next month (June).

TK787

Thu May 11, 2006 7:52 am

Quoting Gokmengs (Reply 4):
they would be a viable competitor to TK and DL on the IST-NYC route.

Anyone here on this thread would fly them on the US-IST route? I doubt it. They need some kind of a mileage partner to make this work. I really don't think that there is a market for a third carrier on the route. Even DL growing like crazy in Europe left IST out of its radar.

gokmengs

Thu May 11, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 10):
Anyone here on this thread would fly them on the US-IST route? I doubt it. They need some kind of a mileage partner to make this work. I really don't think that there is a market for a third carrier on the route. Even DL growing like crazy in Europe left IST out of its radar.

US-IST route will be filled by bargain hunters both US pax and the Turkish population in USA.
As far as DL's expansion-or lack thereof in the case of IST- believe it or not a DL exec said to me that DL wanted to the ATL-IST flight yet the DL execs in IST weren't sure if they would be profitable in ATL-IST like they are profitable in JFK-IST. His words not mine pretty interesting to say the least.

[Edited 2006-05-11 00:59:47]
Gercekleri Tarih Yazar Tarihide Galatasaray

pilotjm

Thu May 11, 2006 3:54 pm

I think atlas will never fly to the US all this is part of publicty in Turkey

TK787

Thu May 11, 2006 10:29 pm

Quoting Gokmengs (Reply 11):
DL exec said to me that DL wanted to the ATL-IST flight yet the DL execs in IST weren't sure if they would be profitable in ATL-IST like they are profitable in JFK-IST.

DL's loads on JFK-IST would be affected if they were to open the ATL-IST. And also there were some concerns on another thread about if DL had the right equipment, if the 763 would do the job, if there were enough of them with all the other European routes opening up. Right now while they are battling CO over who is the biggest NY-Europe carrier of them all, DL is running print ads. saying "Bigger is still better" to Europe, meaning their 767,777 as opposed to the CO's 757s.
Back to Atlas, Far East seems more profitable, but still it still is a big plane to fill.
By the way, their website is not that user friendly, lot of stuff is missing.

[Edited 2006-05-11 15:43:45]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos