RedAirForce
Topic Author

SR JFK - Zurich

Wed Jun 14, 2000 6:28 am

Can anyone who has done the JFK - Zurich route with Swissair describe the flight path. How far up into Canada do we go? Where do we come into Europe?

Thanks!

ZRH

RE: SR JFK - Zurich

Wed Jun 14, 2000 6:45 am

This does not depend on the airline. It only depends on the weather and the winds. From JFK you usually go north and leave the continent over Canada (nova scotia). The routes are very different, sometimes more south and you enter Europe over France and often more north and you fly over Ireland. Once we even flew over Greenland. But as I said at the beginning all airlines use the same routes there are no specifique Swissair, BA, LH or AF routes. JFK-ZRH or JFK-CDG or JFK-FRA can have the same flight path over the atlantic.

CaymanCX

Wed Jun 14, 2000 9:17 am

Hey RAF...

ZRH is right, but here is my story anyways. Last summer I flew on the JFK to Geneve Cointrin route on Swissair's MD-11. We flew out over long Island, then up the coast of Nova Scotia, which was a little sad becuase I was remembering the loss of SR 111 at Peggy's Cove...   Anyways, we flew north-east over the Atlantic and came into Europe over the Channel Islands (Jersey, Gurnesey). From there we flew over northern France, just north of Paris, and then turned south east and approaced GVA from the French side. Althogh this wasn't the NYC-ZRH route, it is pretty close.

I hope you have a great journey, and enjoy Swissair. It is my favourite!!!

PS... I'll miss SR's MD-11's when they are all retired!!!

Cheers,
Patrick.
"Insert generic statement here."

ZRH

Wed Jun 14, 2000 5:25 pm

The route CaymanCX descriped is very common. You fly over the channel islands or Ireland or the Normandie and then pass Paris towards Switzerland.

cedarjet

Wed Jun 14, 2000 8:07 pm

Hey Cayman CX, what is the flight number on the JFK - GVA route nowadays? Surely they've changed it? PA103 became PA3 after Lockerbie. But I always get a chill at Heathrow cos Turk Hava Yollari still use TK981, which was the worst air disaster in history when the London-bound DC10 crashed in France in 1974.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

avion

RE: Cedarjet

Wed Jun 14, 2000 8:13 pm

Cedarjet:
After the disaster the flight number was quickly changed to SR 114/115. But after some time someone found out that 114+115 makes exactly the number of souls lost in this disaster. It the again was again changed to 116/117.

Avion

ZRH

RE: Avion: It Is 138/139

Wed Jun 14, 2000 8:40 pm

The SR GVA-JFK-GVA flihts are SR 138 and 139. As Avion said they changed it from 114/115. SR 116/117 is ZRH-MIA-ZRH.

Delta15

RE: Avion: It Is 138/139

Thu Jun 15, 2000 2:00 am

I flew JFK-Munich Last january, and we went all the way up to Greenland, then over Ireland and london. On the way back we flew over paris, and really didnt get that far north. be sure to look out both windows if you get close to Greenland. The northern lights on one side, and a really majestic looking moon on the other side

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos