hmmmm...

Constipation

Wed Jun 14, 2000 1:09 pm

Yes, this is aviation-related. Is it just me or do others get constipated after a long overseas flight? I always do. I remember one time it lasted 5 days. Finally I resorted to prunes. Strangely though, it seems only to happen going eastbound to Europe. Never coming back. I surmise it's the change of environment, change of diet, and the stress of a long journey. Anyone else carry All-Bran in their suitcase?

BTW, never eat prunes unless you are constipated. I did once. Gawd, I'll never forget that.

Hmmmm...
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

RE: Constipation

Wed Jun 14, 2000 1:25 pm

Okay... thats gross

<b>I Can't Poop In Planes!</b>

Wed Jun 14, 2000 1:29 pm

I do not know why but I cant seem to do my poop in planes even if I need to.Anyone help!!

Gundu

Panther

Wed Jun 14, 2000 1:36 pm

I know eating a lot of cheese cloggs you up, could that be the culprett?

Pbb152

Wed Jun 14, 2000 1:40 pm

Hmmmm...., their was a time I thought you had no sense of humor, but that was funny! I'll be flying from IAH-LGA this Friday, so I'll be sure to inform you of any irregularities. LOL.

Wed Jun 14, 2000 1:41 pm

Hmmmm..., GUNDU, I always thought you were full of oh never mind that's too easy.

agrodemm

Wed Jun 14, 2000 1:57 pm

Well...... Being away from home has its negative effects, and going back to home has its positive effects.
Some people say that our organism (to put it this way.. ) is very home-seeking as well.
I will give you a good tip from the army ....
Drink a nice hot cup of coffee of your choice, and right after drink a cup of fresh (if possible) orange juice on the rocks.

Regards  
Emmanuel
P.S Don't forget to take a newspaper/magazine with you after that.... 

Wed Jun 14, 2000 2:10 pm

...or take a laxative about 9 hours before take off.

(Sorry Johan or Gary)

TWFirst

Wed Jun 14, 2000 11:41 pm

I'd rather be constipated going overseas than being the opposite of constipated (if you know what I mean). At least when your constipated, you have plenty of time to find a nice clean restroom. 
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

eg777er

Thu Jun 15, 2000 1:15 am

I often feel a bit bunged up with sh.. after a long flight but unlike others I don't let it out all over this forum....  LOL

CPRjet

Thu Jun 15, 2000 3:36 am

You're not the only one who gets constipated while flying and travelling generally. I flew from the east coast to Honolulu and couldn't go for days and then plugged up the toilet in my hotel room when I finally went! How embarrassing! Your system basically slows up while travelling, I guess.

Thu Jun 15, 2000 4:40 am

I would imagine that the same type of air expansion and contractions that happen in your inner ear also happen to gas in your colon. Ask the pilot to depressurize the cabin a bit and I'm sure relief will be near!

Thu Jun 15, 2000 4:43 am

Has any study been conducted on adverse gastral affects of long travel on the flight crew?

LHMark

Thu Jun 15, 2000 4:44 am

Long flights are dehydrating. Less water in your, uh, stool = more diffuicult expulsion of said stool. Plenty of water on the flight should help.

Uh, maybe I don't want to be a pilot so much anymore.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

TWFirst

RE: Oozabooza

Thu Jun 15, 2000 4:48 am

I just have to say, this is one of the funniest damned threads I've seen here... I love it!   

Oozabooza: you also have a hilarious user name!
In addition to the depressurization technique you suggest, I would also recommend eating whatever they serve you on board. Especially if it's something in cream or butter sauce, because lord know it's not real cream or butter, and in fact cream or butter-flavored partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, and should definitely do the trick.

Also, the interiors of most NW aircraft are enough to make anyone lose some form of bodily fluid upon looking at them...
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Thu Jun 15, 2000 5:00 am

Hey thanks for the compliment on my user name, it is a real long story.

aa737

Thu Jun 15, 2000 5:13 am

I am glad people get constipation on planes. I once was in a BA 777, and the person using the toilet before me obviously wasn't constipated, oh man was it nasty in there! I warned my whole family to venture to the back of the plane to use the toilets instead of that one. The FAs even had to walk around with air freshener it was giving off such a smell. It was nasty!!!!!

Thu Jun 15, 2000 5:17 am

Anyone remember scenes with Peter Selars as (chief) inspector Jacques Cluesou, being in the toilet at the time when they enter heavy turbulences?

There was also a variation on the same theme in "Tommyboy" with Chris Farley.

B-707

Thu Jun 15, 2000 6:00 am

I have never had this problem.

I don't know about now, but in the 70s when I first flew Olympic Airways, a good look at the stewardesses gave me the shits everytime.

I hear they have improved now.

Carioca Canuck

Thu Jun 15, 2000 8:40 am

All I know is that I never do, because I have nightmares of flight wreckage revealing my corpse with my pants around my ankles. This is assuming that my number comes up....of course.

Samurai 777

Thu Jun 15, 2000 2:18 pm

Although I only get a little bit constipated after a long flight, it's far, far better then getting Monteczuma's Revenge!!