EWRCabincrew
Topic Author

Getting A Whole Can Of Coke

Tue May 16, 2006 5:28 am

This is my first topic to post here. Please bear with me. I did do a topic search and could not find archived topics related to this.

If there is, please forgive me.

I see a lot of people posting remarks regarding getting, or not getting for that matter, a whole can of soda during a beverage service. I wanted to offer a flight attendant's perspective.

At CO (Continental), our company policy, some may find it petty, is to not automatically give the can, unless requested by the customer. On short flights, there is generally plenty of soda if every customer requested one. On longer haul flights, such as international, we have limited space for limited supplies. so we may actually run out of items if we were to can at every beverage service. If running out happens, rarely, mind you, I usually defer to "your second favorite beverage choice". Also, some people prefer just a glass, while others prefer the whole can. It is a matter of personal taste and thirst at that time.

We might also run out of any given type of beverage if a lot of customers are requesting it and cans are given out. When that happens, rarely mind you, I usually defer to "your second favorite beverage choice".

Moreover, there is the area of waste. Some people who take the can don't drink it all and leave the rest, in essence, wasting it. We have to throw it away. For arguments sake, another glass could have been poured from that for someone else. Hence the policy of pouring.

It seems as if economics drives this type of policy.

You would be amazed and where things go and how things are packed out for galley supplies (food and otherwise). Ask a flight attendant about it. I'll answer you and if time permits, I'll show you.

This topic wasn't meant to anger anyone. The sole purpose of this was to inform the traveller as to why pouring the drink versus giving someone a can is done. At least with CO.

Above all, if you would like the can, please ask. It is yours for the taking.

[Edited 2006-05-15 22:41:41] Big grin

[Edited 2006-05-15 22:42:34]
You can't cure stupid

Checo77

RE: Getting A Whole Can Of Coke

Tue May 16, 2006 5:49 am

I am flying SJO-EWR in a month.
Do you think that asking for the can with really work? I once did it on CO and the F/A told me that she has no permission to give the can. Since then, I am traumatized about asking for a can.
So, if I ask for a can, the F/A has to give the can? Or its up to the F/As judgement at the time.
Thanks,
Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

AC773

Tue May 16, 2006 5:50 am

I have a question for you:

Presumably you carry different quantites of different beverages because, generally, more people will want a Coke than a Mott's Cranberry "What else is in this" Nasty Beverage (TM), and so forth.

So, are the ratios decided as a blanket policy by some guys in a boardroom or does it vary by the season? Are you usually left with a lot of unopened cans? This I'd like to know.

-AC773
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

supa7E7

Tue May 16, 2006 6:05 am

This is so silly. When will airlines figure out soda is incredibly cheap and people love to drink entire cans of it? The soda industry certainly knows this. Maybe the airlines should learn about the human body and the amazing need it has for liquids, particularly in high altitude zero humidity environments. And no, most people can't bring themselves to ask for a 20 cent handout. If it's their right, give it to them always. Otherwise it's a favor.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

WMUPilot

Tue May 16, 2006 6:08 am

At JetBlue we give the whole can. People are shocked when they ask for the whole can and I tell them we always give the whole can.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

FLY2LIM

Tue May 16, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Thread starter):
This is my first topic to post here. Please bear with me. I did do a topic search and could not find archived topics related to this.

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to A.net. I can tell from your language that you are much too polite for this website, LOL. You'll get that one in time.

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 3):
This is so silly. When will airlines figure out soda is incredibly cheap and people love to drink entire cans of it? The soda industry certainly knows this. Maybe the airlines should learn about the human body and the amazing need it has for liquids, particularly in high altitude zero humidity environments. And no, most people can't bring themselves to ask for a 20 cent handout. If it's their right, give it to them always. Otherwise it's a favor.

My wife buys multi-packs of Diet Coke and almost never finishes them.
As far as the body's amazing need for liquids, most doctors will tell you that soda is about the worst liquid available, although it is better than nothing.
I don't know where it's anyone's "right" to have an entire can.
For airlines, and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, it's a matter of where to put the soda, the weight of the cargo, and the cost to purchase/serve the soda.

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

EWRCabincrew
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2006 6:13 am

Quoting Checo77 (Reply 1):
I am flying SJO-EWR in a month.
Do you think that asking for the can with really work? I once did it on CO and the F/A told me that she has no permission to give the can. Since then, I am traumatized about asking for a can.
So, if I ask for a can, the F/A has to give the can? Or its up to the F/As judgement at the time.
Thanks,
Adam

They should definitely give you the can. Plain and simple. The fact they said they had no permission is a crock. We can give you the can, no problem. It's not the flight attendants judgement, if you want it, you get it. If we run out, we run out. We can't go back, but we can get you another choice. I hope this answers your concern.

Quoting AC773 (Reply 2):
Presumably you carry different quantites of different beverages because, generally, more people will want a Coke than a Mott's Cranberry "What else is in this" Nasty Beverage (TM), and so forth

I laughed my ass off..now back to your question

Quoting AC773 (Reply 2):
So, are the ratios decided as a blanket policy by some guys in a boardroom or does it vary by the season? Are you usually left with a lot of unopened cans? This I'd like to know.

The ratios are decided by feedback from us as crews, sometimes you the customer too, with regards as to what is being used or not used and the destination. On our GRU (Sao Paulo) flights we have Guarana (a local Brazilian beverage) and our LGW/UK flights we have a higher ratio of tonic, for example. Also the feedback from when the barcarts go back to catering and what is left over from being consumed or not being consumed.

On longer haul flights the unopened cans we have left are usually tomato juice, tonic water and spicy tomato juice (bloody mary mix). Very few cans of Coke, Sprite (their diet alternatives), juices, sparkling/soda water are left.

I hope this answers our concern.

Cheers

Smile
You can't cure stupid

petmbro

Tue May 16, 2006 6:13 am

At CO (Continental), our company policy, some may find it petty, is to not automatically give the can, unless requested by the customer.

Thats interesting, because every time i've flown on CO i've always been given a can along with the my drink. On other carriers I've wanted to ask for the can but I always felt it was rude. I guess I've been lucky so far and next time if I'm automatically given the can I won't hesitate to ask.
"don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!" - Judge Judy

EWRCabincrew
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2006 6:17 am

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 5):
Allow me to be the first to welcome you to A.net. I can tell from your language that you are much too polite for this website, LOL. You'll get that one in time.

Thank you very much. It is not that I am polite, but I am diplomatic. Military brat by birth and EWR based by choice. I am of the school of you get ahead by being nice.
You can't cure stupid

wjcandee

Tue May 16, 2006 6:22 am

Classiest approach: give the whole freakin' can. It makes a significant impression. This is what ATA used to do (and maybe still does) as its service standard. It makes a point.

Economical but still classy approach: "Would you care for the whole can? You're welcome to it."

Bad approach: "You wantha whole thing?" Implies that YOU don't want to give it.

Most airlines' approach: "Hey, they could have had it if they had asked."

Rule number one in the restaurant business is that customers assume that what you give them is what the company wants them to have. Give them a cold side of fries because it's been sitting for 10 minutes in the slammed kitchen, and they'll assume that that's how Outback serves fries. Don't ask them if they want dessert? They'll assume that you're too busy and don't want them to order it (which is often true of servers).

The best f/a's will not only offer you something, they'll do something subtle in their body language or verbage to ensure that you understand that their offer is sincere: "Why don't you let me get you one more for the road before we land? You're welcome to it." Purrrrrrfect!

What happens is that management gets you guys focused on "waste" of soda, then that becomes part of what you think your job is (i.e. "conserving" soda), and that ends up coming across to pax, who then assume that they're gonna get yelled at if they want another soda. Like the JetBlue f/a who, when asked nicely for a Sprite, says, "We're serving water now." and walks off. Or her friend on the same flight who, when I dragged my ass back to the galley and dared to interrupt her reading of a novel, sighed, got me the soda that I asked nicely for, made a BIG DEAL out of extracting it from where it had been stowed with 3 hours left in the flight, sighed repeatedly, and extended the can to me between her thumb and middle finger, with a scowl, as if she were presenting me with a dead rat, holding it as far away from her body as possible. If you wonder why passengers get accustomed to feeling like they are "bothering" the staff for stuff that company policy says they are entitled to, this kind of behavior is why. In one of my restaurants, she would have been out the swingin' door the first time it happened, regardless of whatever half-assed excuse she had about why her day sucked. I didn't deserve that abuse, but I had to freakin' take it, because we were trapped in a tube for the next 3 hours in which she could choose to make my life *really* miserable. And you know who I blamed? The airline, for crappy hiring and supervision of those two dolts.

And ALL of this kind of stuff can be compensated for by a simple policy of giving everyone the whole can the first time, with a smile, no questions asked. It's the basis for the widely-praised policy in my restaurants of just bringing a free refill, in a new glass, of any soda on the table when the glass gets less than half full. If the server had asked if they wanted another, most people will say "No," just because they don't want to "bother" the server. If you bring it, most people will drink it, and they will be silently-grateful and feel like you are the most amazingly generous restaurant owner in the world, just for the cost of a few cents of soda.

We also had another policy: If the customer wants it, your answer is either "Sure, right away," if it's within your training as something you know you can do, or "I'm pretty sure we can do that, just let me grab the manager," so that the server never is in the position of saying "No." (This prevents circumstances like the time a new server told a customer on all-you-can-eat-ribs day that they could have as many more ribs as they wanted, but couldn't have any more potatoes. See, it was all-you-can-eat-RIBS, not potatoes.    While the customer was yelling and yelling and yelling at me about how idiotic "my" policy was, he absolutely refused to believe that I didn't really prefer that he have the potatoes. Right. I'd rather give him $2 worth of ribs than 10 cents of potatoes.      But if the server had followed the policy of "'Sure' or 'Let me check'", it never would have happened.)

Alternatively, training f/as to ask if you want the can LIKE THEY WANT YOU TO HAVE IT (and ensuring that they do it) -- because it comes through when you've told them that a goal is to "not waste" soda -- is a close second.

[Edited 2006-05-15 23:31:36]

[Edited 2006-05-15 23:32:42]

EWRCabincrew
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting Petmbro (Reply 7):
Thats interesting, because every time i've flown on CO i've always been given a can along with the my drink. On other carriers I've wanted to ask for the can but I always felt it was rude. I guess I've been lucky so far and next time if I'm automatically given the can I won't hesitate to ask.

I can only tell you what our policy is. The individual flight attendant then makes the choice to adhere or not to adhere to what the company has stated with regards to this. It is the reason why I started this thread. I wanted you, the customer, to know why things are done onboard. That's all.
You can't cure stupid

petmbro

Tue May 16, 2006 6:34 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 10):
The individual flight attendant then makes the choice to adhere or not to adhere to what the company has stated with regards to this. It is the reason why I started this thread. I wanted you, the customer, to know why things are done onboard. That's all.

Although some of the flight attendants might not adhire to company policy, offering a can of soda to a person really has a positive effect. By giving me a whole can of soda to enjoy instead of a little cup makes my flight that much more enjoyable.
"don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!" - Judge Judy

boeingguy1

Tue May 16, 2006 6:35 am

Back in February, I was traveling to Charlotte, NC from EWR on US/UA, US on the way there and UA on the way back.

On the US Flight, The flight attendants were rude and practically threw my 4 peanuts and a small cup of coke at me, I wasnt even going to try the "can I have the can" trick, fearing a mauling might ensue.

On the UA Flight going back, not only was I served my whole can of diet coke, god damn it I was given three packs of that snack mix that UA serves! (what was it called? GOD IT WAS SO GOOD!!)

Point in case, I'll ask only if the FA looks as if she/he dosent want to kill someone.  Smile
Gatwick South! Id rather crash in Brighton!

EWRCabincrew
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 9):
Like the JetBlue f/a who, when asked nicely for a Sprite, says, "We're serving water now." and walks off. Or her friend on the same flight who, when I dragged my ass back to the galley and dared to interrupt her reading of a novel, sighed, got me the soda that I asked nicely for, made a BIG DEAL out of extracting it from where it had been stowed with 3 hours left in the flight, sighed repeatedly, and extended the can to me between her thumb and middle finger, with a scowl, as if she were presenting me with a dead rat, holding it as far away from her body as possible. If you wonder why passengers get accustomed to feeling like they are "bothering" the staff for stuff that company policy says they are entitled to, this kind of behavior is why.

It seems to me regardless of the airline you flew, you got crappy service. That is not what this thread is about. You are by all means entitled to good service to whatever it is we have to offer and whatever we have available. If I was serving water and you had asked for a coke, rest assured my response to you would be "let me finish what I have here and I will be right back with that, care for some water in the mean time?"

I can't speak for all flight attendants, I can speak for me and my crews. I am an ISM (International Service Manager) and if you were to receive poor service, let me know.

What I wanted to convery with this thread was the reasoning and why people sometimes get a can of soda or not get one.
You can't cure stupid

adriaticus

Tue May 16, 2006 6:44 am

I always ask for a glass of water in addition to whatever drink I'm taking. I've never ever been denied two drinks at the same time, or more. Also, I rarely ask for the full soda can, but I've never ever been denied it either. I guess it's all a matter of the way you ask for things.

EWRCabincrew, welcome. You'll enjoy yourself here. And don't loose your style; maybe others will learn something positive...

(Anticipating the smart question: how much do I fly? Over 200K miles/year).

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21 B721/2 B732/3/G/8 B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 DC8/9/10 MD11 TU134/154 IL62/86 An24 SA340/2000 E45/90

EWRCabincrew
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting Petmbro (Reply 11):
Although some of the flight attendants might not adhire to company policy, offering a can of soda to a person really has a positive effect. By giving me a whole can of soda to enjoy instead of a little cup makes my flight that much more enjoyable.

ABOSLUTELY!!! I could not agree with you more. I am one of many flight attendant who are aware of what company policy is and also knows what good customer service is and offers it at all times. Especially if it means for me to offer you a can of soda, without you requesting it. Good customer service is paramount to our industry.
You can't cure stupid

L1011

Tue May 16, 2006 7:12 am

When I flew on SAS in Europe, they handed everyone a can, but the cans were quite a bit smaller than they are in the United States. It made service much quicker, since they didn't have to pour, and I don't imagine there was much waste. It was just the right amount.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

noelg

Tue May 16, 2006 7:21 am

The Asian airlines have always given me the whole can. You usually get given the can with a glass to open it yourself, even with beer. With wine you get a small bottle, again the whole thing.

When I flew BD, we got a whole can, but it was one of those really tiny ones!

wjcandee

Tue May 16, 2006 7:29 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 13):
You are by all means entitled to good service to whatever it is we have to offer and whatever we have available

Can I just have you on all my flights? Please?  Smile

JulianUK

Tue May 16, 2006 7:37 am

Did the passengers on the jet blue undercarriage failure flight get the whole can?  Smile

DALelite

Tue May 16, 2006 7:44 am

first of all, welcome to the a.net community!!!

while eighten years ago , whlile traveling on a DL plane from LAX-SFO i asked for a coke, and the FA would only give me a glas. back then i thought that
this was rude, rude and rude times rude. then i figured to ask for the whole can and ever since that has worked out perfectly for me. on any airline flown ever since...

cheers: DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

JulianUK

Tue May 16, 2006 7:46 am

I went on a music tour with school years back and flew Virgin. The kids set up a scheme whereby Flight Attendant distracted and bottom shelf of trolley off loaded into plastic bag with all the coke cans...

HPAEAA

Tue May 16, 2006 7:54 am

You would be amazed and where things go and how things are packed out for galley supplies (food and otherwise). Ask a flight attendant about it. I'll answer you and if time permits, I'll show you.

I'll vouch for that, I've had to search those carts before, I had no idea how much got jamed in there until I had to search them!
Why do I fly???

superhub

Tue May 16, 2006 7:55 am

If you bring it, most people will drink it, and they will be silently-grateful and feel like you are the most amazingly generous restaurant owner in the world, just for the cost of a few cents of soda.

Not true. I actually prefer having only a cup of soft drinks instead of a whole can in flight. And that is because soft drinks dyhydrates...and people dyhydrates more inflight.

If someone brings me a whole can, I actually won't finish the drink and the can just ends up in the garbage.

On the ground..yes, I get refills.

Quoting Julianuk (Reply 19):
Did the passengers on the jet blue undercarriage failure flight get the whole can?

Haha..i like it.

But i guess it doesn't make a difference since the liquid in the can only goes into humans' bodies...it doesn't get outside the aircraft.

deltairlines

Tue May 16, 2006 8:04 am

My rule of thumb is, if in F, just ask for a Coke. I'm hoping that the service will be good enough that when they see that I'm running low, they'll ask me for a refill - I'm expecting a little more service when I'm up front.

If I'm in Y, when asked I'll simply say "Can I have a can of Coke?" and I receive said can.

Jeff

iairallie

Tue May 16, 2006 8:08 am

When will airlines figure out soda is incredibly cheap and people love to drink entire cans of it?

When will passengers realize there is limited space on an aircraft and extra soda cans = extra weight. Just kidding.

I prefer to serve the can but I have worked for airlines before where they ask us not to automatically serve the can. I respect my employers wishes. I also respect my passengers wishes if you ask for the can I will graciously give you the can. Don't complain about it just ask, remember your FA doesn't set the policies but we are suposed to live by them.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

PSA727

Tue May 16, 2006 8:23 am

UA seems to give the whole can on each of my flights with them.

US and AA : Depends on the length.

I think the airline policy should be to have the FAs ask the passenger
if he/she wants just the glass or the whole can.
Some people will want the can, others just the glass.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

visakow

Tue May 16, 2006 8:26 am

This is so silly. When will airlines figure out soda is incredibly cheap and people love to drink entire cans of it?

Tell that to most of my shift who consistently leave half drunk sodas that the juniors have to clean up at the end of the day.

arffguy

Tue May 16, 2006 10:47 am

Quoting DALelite (Reply 20):
then i figured to ask for the whole can and ever since that has worked out perfectly for me. on any airline flown ever since

This is exactly what has worked for me over the years too. Heck, I'm the customer, I should get the whole can if I want it.

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 26):
I think the airline policy should be to have the FAs ask the passenger
if he/she wants just the glass or the whole can.
Some people will want the can, others just the glass.

Amen to that! People just love to complicate even the simplest things. Geese.
Time to spare, go by air.

JAFA

Tue May 16, 2006 2:13 pm

Most NW FA's give the entire can of soda. We generally get enough soda for everyone to have a can. It is not the company policy to give the entire can unless the customer requests it.

Giving cans on a short flight is generally a bad idea for several reasons:
1. in my experience the majority of people can't finish it
2. we end up rushing people when its time for landing
4. we end up collecting a bunch of half full can of soda, which end up making a sticky liquid mess in the trash containers many of which leak.

If the flight is over 1:15 then most people can finish a can of soda without the above problems.

I don't think it anyone's "right" to have full can of soda.

The best f/a's will not only offer you something, they'll do something subtle in their body language or verbage to ensure that you understand that their offer is sincere: "Why don't you let me get you one more for the road before we land? You're welcome to it." Purrrrrrfect!

put me in whatever category you like for making this remark but try doing that for 150 people three to six times a day during your 12-14 hour work day. I am not advocating rude and or impersonal service but thats simple not practical. Its 757 not a 7/11 where you get beverages to go. (Sorry couldn't resist)

Type-Rated

Tue May 16, 2006 2:39 pm

A few weeks ago I flew on NW and asked for the can and the F/A told me "Can't you leave some for the other passengers?"

Then a few days later, I flew F9 and was graciously given the entire can without asking. Plus they came back again and again with water so you wouldn't dehydrate.

What kind of impression does this leave?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

m180up

Tue May 16, 2006 4:30 pm

This is my first topic to post here

Welcome!

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 5):
I can tell from your language that you are much too polite for this website, LOL.

Big grin  biggrin   bigthumbsup   checkmark 
Werner from SAL

Gary2880

Tue May 16, 2006 6:03 pm

i prefer lemonade so i should be fine. in a glass. with the whole can next to it. Big grin

but on the coke front. in Britain most people i know when asking for coke ask for 'a can of coke' just as is by nature. so would that get me a whole can on a flight?

on another coke front, Coka Cola tastes best in this order, in a traditional glass bottle, can, real glass cup, then lastly a normal cup. my colleague will only drink coke from a can because he says it tastes so much better than in a bottle or whatever. I'm not so fussy about coke but i hate drinking pepsi from a bottle it just doesn't taste as nice at all.

on the final coke front virgin cola is possibly the most disgusting thing ever produced by man.
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

Comfortzone

Tue May 16, 2006 6:46 pm

I am rather amused of this topic - as I just returned from a 6 flights / 4 airlines within 4 days trip to Turkey - and all airlines served no cans but poured sodas out of bottles into cups. So no discussion at all about receiving whole cans  Wink
The Sky is the Limit ;-)

malmoaviation

Tue May 16, 2006 9:04 pm

Is there any airlines that use 1,5 liter plastic bottles for Coke? They are cheaper, and instead of opening one can which you pour only one or two glass the flight attendant can pour 7 or 8 glasses with a big bottle. It's not so hard to open just one big bottle, but opening four to five cans might be hard in the dry air. It's harder to pour from a big bottle instead of from a small can, though.

Rgds

dc10heaven

Tue May 16, 2006 9:40 pm

I can see the day coming when NW or DL open up a bag of peanuts & pour half of the bag onto your napkin. I can see myself asking "Can I have the whole bag please".  laughing 

NumberTwelve

Tue May 16, 2006 11:07 pm

Cans of coke? If airlines want to save money, why not offering coke from bigger bottles?
This is what i saw on QR flights: the coke gets empty so fast, so there is no reduction in quality.

Quoting Comfortzone (Reply 33):
no cans but poured sodas out of bottles into cups

true
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

Pronto

Wed May 17, 2006 12:22 am

Last AA flight I was on, first had to wait until someone else wanted a "cola", then I was given what appeared to be about a 6 oz. cup of it. I'm over 200 lbs, and believe me, a can of "cola" will not be wasted(waisted?) on me!! And yes, I did get that "piss off, don't ask for more" look, so I never bothered asking...

4Left

Wed May 17, 2006 12:27 am

This has to be the strangest thread I've ever read. It beats those rants about Northwest's DC-9's any day. I'm leaving on a trip this Thursday, I'll make sure to ask for the whole can!  Smile
Planes aren't busses, put service back into the air!

SoonerLT

Wed May 17, 2006 1:18 am

Quoting Adriaticus (Reply 14):

Quoting Adriaticus (Reply 14):
I always ask for a glass of water in addition to whatever drink I'm taking. I've never ever been denied two drinks at the same time, or more. Also, I rarely ask for the full soda can, but I've never ever been denied it either. I guess it's all a matter of the way you ask for things.

I was flying DL recently FRA-ATL and the German fellow next to me asked for a coffee, hot tea, and water. The flight attendant serving us got eyes about the size of quarters, before scowling "You want all three? We're going to be coming around with another drink service shortly" (this was our pre-lunch drink service), but he politely affirmed that he did want all three. She reluctantly gave him what he asked for. As an American used to the Dixie cup service, I was a little surprised at his asking for all three as well, but I didn't feel it was an outrageous request. Besides...all three combined were about 95% water anyway.
Speak Lord, for Thy servant heareth.

UN_B732

Wed May 17, 2006 1:32 am

EWRCabinCrew, first off rock on.. You seem like a nice FA, and keeping things together.
Secondly, imagine all of the weight carried, wasted drinks, and wasted spaces, if they carried enough cans for every soda, every pax, every time. It simply isn't possible.
-Mr. X
What now?

QXFLYINGCOUG

Wed May 17, 2006 1:48 am

This last spring break I flew UA SEA-DEN-MSY with a group of other college students for a mission trip in New Orleans. On our flight from SEA-DEN, one of the lavratories on the 737 was broken so we had to sit at the gate for an hour waiting to see if they could fix it. They ended up sending us on our way without fixing it. One of the flight attendants (who we all fondly refered to as the Ice Queen) would only give us one cup of pop (yes pop not soda) or water or coffee and wouldn't tell us why. When I got up to use the lavratory I overheard her telling the other FA's that she did it so people wouldn't have to use the lavratory.

Funny thing is, that was the same aircraft that we continued on to MSY and while on that flight, Flight attendant Linda was the nicest lady ever and gave us 2 full cans while in flight and then loaded all of the people in my group up with a couple more cans and some more snacks just because we were relief workers! Flight attendant Linda was is the best FA I've ever had at UA!
--GO COUGS--

richierich

Wed May 17, 2006 1:53 am

In the whole realm of flying, is this really a big deal?
OK, I prefer to have the whole can too but I can't say that I've ever held it against any airline that didn't.

Seat comfort, room, value for money are much bigger issues for me than getting a whole can of soda.
None shall pass!!!!

flyboyaz

Wed May 17, 2006 1:56 am

I just flew to OGG on US and they gave me a whole can of sode...twice even.
Catch a ride on a smile!

747spa330md11

Wed May 17, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting Malmoaviation (Reply 34):
Is there any airlines that use 1,5 liter plastic bottles for Coke?

Yes, LH is doing so. It is cheaper and the production of waste is not so much. Tetra Pak is being used for various kinds of juice.

KE and KLM is doing same, on short haul the have cans
Save the 747 SP !!

ChiGB1973

Wed May 17, 2006 3:20 am

At TZ we gave a cup unless the customer asked for the whole can. On military and some other charters that we gave the can automatically, the reason is obvious; when picking up the trash, I picked up many cans of coke that were half or more full. There was so much waste, leaking garbage bags and leaky garbage carts.

I am not sure how much money it saves, but if garbage disposal is by weight, there is another savings besides just the amount of cola given out. I'm sure it was done to conserve costs on sodas, but it does save much more than just that. Plus, if you are an environmental junkie, you should love it.

I never had a problem with giving the can; some flight attendants were quite stingy with it and liked to brag about not giving someone the can. This is the main problem I had and continue to have with unions, but, that's a whole other discussion.

Of course, there were some flights that required us to be a little stingy simply because of catering, number of customers, length of flight, but this did not happen often.

M

777wt

Wed May 17, 2006 3:38 am

Above all, if you would like the can, please ask. It is yours for the taking.

So the best way to ask for the can is "Can I have the can please?"

Another question, In July I'm flying EWR-AUA with CO and I'm an elite OnePass member with CO.

When I booked the flight, it gave me an option of shrimp or fruit platter. I'm seated in the coach class and it had a fine print to this option selection (only available to elite onepass membership holders)
Otherwise it would be just a snack on this flight.

Being a sucker for fruits, I selected the fruit platter!

I hope when I go on this flight, I'll be suprised with a fruit platter Big grin

Wed May 17, 2006 4:03 am

Pretty cool!

On my last AA flights (international) they've given me the whole can. Even though my sister asked for the same drink, they gave us two cans!

If I am not thirsty anymore, I just drink it! I wont waste that oportunity!

Cheers

Enrique
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

ANNOYEDFA

Wed May 17, 2006 4:04 am

WMUPILOT: Like I tell my friend who works for Jetblew, you have 2 galleys filled with nothing but soda and snacks. Actul galley carts filled with soda. I sometime have 2 trays of soda to work with over 100 people. So that is the only reason you are able to give the can. Once you guys continue to bleed red you'll see everything down to the amount of ice change as we have at my airline.... If we pack 3 less bags of ice and 1 less trey of soda we can save 300,000 a year on fuel...... That was once a memo. So for everyone who complains when we really can't give a whole can of soda now you know why. We are almost down to scrapping stuff off the floor on some flights.  cheerful 
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."

boeingguy1

Wed May 17, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting ANNOYEDFA (Reply 48):
We are almost down to scrapping stuff off the floor on some flights. cheerful

Hmmm, I'm probably wrong, but you either work for...

1) AA
2) NW
Gatwick South! Id rather crash in Brighton!