LordHowe
Topic Author

FlyMe Withdraws Form ARN-HEL

Sat May 20, 2006 5:03 pm

FlyMe has decided to stop all flights between ARN and HEL from June 5th.

They operated four daily flights on that route with 17 % market share, but decided now to put all their planes to work on even more profitable new routes from GOT to Southern Europe.

Regards,
LordHowe
Lord Howe Island - The Last Paradise

GOT

RE: FlyMe Withdraws Form ARN-HEL

Sat May 20, 2006 6:59 pm

Quoting LordHowe (Thread starter):
but decided now to put all their planes to work on even more profitable new routes from GOT to Southern Europe.

Makes sense to move capacity to routes with less competition. As far as I can tell from their schedules, they seem to beef up capacity somewhat in June with new weekly flights to several destinations and the addition of BCN to the network.
I doubt however that the HEL route, nor the new European routes out of GOT has showed any profit as of yet. FlyMe seems confident but has as of yet not been up in the black.

/Robert
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

CRJ900

Sat May 20, 2006 7:07 pm

Wise move, I think. ARN-HEL must have lots of competition with yields being relatively low...? I guess biz travellers prefer SAS and AY on the route so they can get some FF points while enjoying a "premium" cabin service...

GOT seems very underserved despite the city being a bit larger than Oslo (which has services to "everywhere", it seems).

How realistic is FlyMe's proposal to take over Sterling Airlines?
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

UpperDeck79

Sat May 20, 2006 8:54 pm

I'm surprised they stayed this long...

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 2):
How realistic is FlyMe's proposal to take over Sterling Airlines?

I don't think that's ever going to happen. But we'll see...
AY and ANA rock!

andaman

Sun May 21, 2006 10:48 am

Wise move, I think. ARN-HEL must have lots of competition with yields being relatively low...?

Actually very little competition now, only Finnair and Blue1/SAS, all the LCCs are gone, one by one.
Important route for AY, more and more Swedes flying to Asia via HEL.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

sudden

Fri May 26, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi all,

As they are a low cost airline, I would say that it's a rather necessary step to close down ARN-HEL if they don't make any margin on it.

On the other hand I would say that the GOT-AMS will be a very profitable route.
Will try them out this year as I go to GOT (No, not the member but the city) for 2 weeks with my kids.

The ticket price can not even be compared with KLM's. Close to half.  Wink

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

cityairline

Sat May 27, 2006 7:05 am

I think this was good. There's not as much room for them on ARN-HEL as there is on those new routes from GOT.

GOT seems very underserved despite the city being a bit larger than Oslo (which has services to "everywhere", it seems).

Actually, Oslo is a little larger, but not much and still (as you say), they have alot more nonstops...

//Alex  wave 
I don't fly to live, I live to fly...