LAXintl

DOT Approves TACA/LACSA - United Code Share

Mon May 22, 2006 5:12 am

After sitting at the DOT for a while, the proposed TACA/LACSA and United codeshare was approved this week replacing the AA codeshare due to end on June 30th.

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf96/398789_web.pdf
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

m180up

RE: DOT Approves TACA/LACSA - United Code Share

Mon May 22, 2006 5:31 am

good news, hopefully TA will join star alliance also sometime in the future  crossfingers 
Werner from SAL

LTU932

Mon May 22, 2006 5:33 am

Good news. This new TA-UA codeshare agreement could lead to an even fiercer competition against CM and their big partner CO. Let's see how they'll do with this codeshare.

2travel2know

Mon May 22, 2006 12:34 pm

Would this TA/LR - UA Codeshare mean that TA will stop flying to SFO and IAD and UA will take over those flights?
The TA/LR - UA Codeshare may work better than the CM - CO Codeshare, major reason IMHO TA/LR do complement UA somewhat lousy and very limited Southamerican services, while quite often CM and CO services don't complement eachother but compete one against the other.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

LTU932

Mon May 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 3):
Would this TA/LR - UA Codeshare mean that TA will stop flying to SFO and IAD and UA will take over those flights?

Yes, but you mean SAL-IAD and SAL-SFO, maybe even SJO-SFO? Who knows. Last time I checked, UA wasn't in the best position in Central America and has in fact axed the old LAX-GUA-SJO flight, along with IAD-SJO. If UA was to take over the flights from IAD and SFO, it would mean that they'd be forced to re-enter the very market they left.

mt99

Mon May 22, 2006 1:02 pm

I wonder if addtional flights to ORD will be started.. and what about that 1x week ORD-SJO flight? Will there be like a press release detailing routes?
Step into my office, baby

carmenlu15

Mon May 22, 2006 10:28 pm

Great news! Wonder what routes will be included in the codeshare.

Quoting M180up (Reply 1):
hopefully TA will join star alliance also sometime in the future

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  crossfingers 

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 3):

Doubt it, as those two routes see high loads almost year-round. In fact, SAL-IAD was the first route to be operated by the A321 when it was first delivered.
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

juanchito

Mon May 22, 2006 11:07 pm

I don't think that UA will replace TA flight on SFO and IAD to SAL, they maybe could replace de GUA-IAD flight from TA.

Really good news for UA, they will have more presence in Latin America and TA will have more presence in Western USA

Regards

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

rootsair

Tue May 23, 2006 6:15 am

Oh btw, has the A321 started routes from SJO already?
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

LAXintl

Tue May 23, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 4):
axed the old LAX-GUA-SJO flight

Actualy LAX-GUA operates daily with a B757. The only thing that dropped was the GUA-SJU tag on flight.

carmenlu15

Tue May 23, 2006 7:01 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 8):

Not that I know of, but I'll try to confirm. One of the 321's was sent to LIM recently; I had thought it would be used for the LIM-SJO route, but apparently it's flying SAL-LIM.

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 9):
The only thing that dropped was the GUA-SJU tag on flight.

Didn't know we had nonstops to Puerto Rico...  Wink (just kidding, I know you meant SJO)
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

LAXintl

Tue May 23, 2006 7:05 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 10):
Didn't know we had nonstops to Puerto Rico... (just kidding, I know you meant SJO)

Oops typo..

sflaflight

Tue May 23, 2006 12:06 pm

Great news. I think the North - Central American continents are panning out well with alliances. I'm happy about this one. I always thought the TA - SA)">AA deal was too tight. This balances things out well.

Star: No Mexico, but Canada and central America
Sky: No Canada, but Mexico and central America
1World: No Canada, but Mexico and central America (thru SA)">AA's heavy presence (assuming everything follows thru with MX in Star)

BTW, Now with TA - SA)">UA tie up, I think Star should really think about MIA. I know what they are up against, but with proper vision, planning, and make either SA)">UA or US focus not hub, they could get a little nice niche thing going on down here. Add the new terminal and bring in SA and things could certainly get interesting. Could make things at MIA very interesting. I hope MIA doesn't let SA)">AA control it the way it does DFW and DL at ATL. Remember SA)">AA needs MIA more than MIA needs it. If SA)">AA were to leave, somebody else would love to have those South and Central Am flights.

**** I don't know why SA)" keeps showing up after I press post the message. Please ignore it.

mt99

Tue May 23, 2006 10:44 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 10):
but apparently it's flying SAL-LIM.

I guess that means that that route was long overdue. I guess as far ar Hubs go.. SAL is more of a "connection" one and SJO is more of a "destination"

MGA

Wed May 24, 2006 2:32 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 8):

I believe TA is flying the A321 SAL-SJO-SAL Saw it last night at around 5PM in SJO

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 4):
fact axed the old LAX-GUA-SJO flight

I´m almost sure they only axed the SJO extension as they mentioned they wanted to focus on LIR. I´ve heard that LAX-GUA-LAX is a money maker....

Any ways, great news, this codeshare will benefit all of us Distancia members in LAX that need good conections and fly the closest thing to the home town hub carrier: UAL

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

yellowtail

Wed May 24, 2006 4:14 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 5):

IF they didn't fly to ORD when they were married to AA...why would they with UA? Both AA and UA have hubs at ORD.

Incidentally, how is TA doing at IAH.....I belive they are struggling ...this after many years of filling that plane every day...sometimes twice daily.....
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

carmenlu15

Wed May 24, 2006 4:26 am

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 15):
IF they didn't fly to ORD when they were married to AA...why would they with UA?

Actually they do fly SJO-GUA-ORD, 3 times a week I think?

Quoting MGA (Reply 14):
I believe TA is flying the A321 SAL-SJO-SAL Saw it last night at around 5PM in SJO

That's not fair, I want the 321 at GUA!  hissyfit 

I've tried to confirm the A321 routes with no luck (taca.com doesn't display them, reservations must be having a special offer day as the lines are always busy, and my reliable source at res has gone to a meeting in LIM... lucky s.o.b.! Big grin). Damn, I really miss my SABRE, it was so easy that way...

dartland

Wed May 24, 2006 4:48 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 16):
I've tried to confirm the A321 routes with no luck

One is flying MGA-MIA / LAX-SAL
One is flying IAD-SAL
One is flying from LIM (I think mostly to SJO and EZE)

At least as of a few weeks ago.

The newest one (ship 568) started on the MGA-MIA run last week in March, and that allowed ship 566 (i think) to go south to LIM.

mt99

Wed May 24, 2006 5:27 am

Actually they do fly SJO-GUA-ORD, 3 times a week I think?

AFAIK,it 4 x week. For some reason the flight is now ORD-GUA-SAL. Flew it a few weeks ago..

mt99

Wed May 24, 2006 5:45 am

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 15):
IF they didn't fly to ORD when they were married to AA...why would they with UA? Both AA and UA have hubs at ORD.

What I was thinking was additional flight - ones that would actually allow connections to UA. The current flight arrives at the ungodly hour of 1AM

carmenlu15

Wed May 24, 2006 5:46 am

Quoting Dartland (Reply 17):
One is flying IAD-SAL

Thank you very much.  Smile

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 18):
AFAIK,it 4 x week. For some reason the flight is now ORD-GUA-SAL. Flew it a few weeks ago..

Right, I forgot... the SJO flight is the one continuing to LAX now. How was the landing at GUA?  Smile

LTU932

Wed May 24, 2006 5:47 am

Quoting MGA (Reply 14):
I´m almost sure they only axed the SJO extension as they mentioned they wanted to focus on LIR.

Yes, but didn't they have problems with one of those LIR routes? I believe UA is flying ORD-LIR with a 757 once weekly, while they have problems with IAD-LIR. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

mt99

Wed May 24, 2006 9:24 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 20):
How was the landing at GUA?

It actually was one of the smoothest landing i have ever experienced. Its cool the way the aircraft has to corkscrew (at least it feels that way) to loose altitude. That "step" at the end of the runway is always scary no matter how many times you go over it. But the views of the city (Tikal Futura and Zona 10) are always worth it.

Onwards to SAL there is no need to change planes.. so i just stayed in my seat for 40 min or so. Its actually a good thing i hated that change. No offense but Gate 1 at GUA - looks and feels like a living room in a house (not a very nice one at that)m and after a 4hr flight thru the night with practically no sleep it was never the most pleasent experience.

787kq

Wed May 24, 2006 10:40 pm

I've tried to confirm the A321 routes with no luck

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 20):
One is flying IAD-SAL

Also seen at IAD, dont know if its a regular.

aer

Fri May 26, 2006 12:16 pm

Does this mean that TA is going Star? I was checking UA's webpage and they list TA as a comingsoon Star Alliance member. http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1177,00.html
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

dartland

Fri May 26, 2006 12:27 pm

Quoting Aer (Reply 24):
Does this mean that TA is going Star? I was checking UA's webpage and they list TA as a comingsoon Star Alliance member. http://www.united.com/page/article/0....html

Curious. Everything I've previously heard indicated TA had no interest in Star, even given the UA code-share.

mt99

Fri May 26, 2006 10:25 pm

Quoting Aer (Reply 24):
TA as a comingsoon Star Alliance

This does seem like a definate interest in TACA as a member of Star. You know what that mean  crossfingers  STAR livery  crossfingers !!

abrelosojos

Fri May 26, 2006 10:52 pm

Quoting Sflaflight (Reply 12):
(assuming everything follows thru with MX in Star)

= Could you please elaborate on this?

Quoting Dartland (Reply 25):
Everything I've previously heard indicated TA had no interest in Star, even given the UA code-share.

= Actually its the other way round ... TACA wants to be part of an alliance and from internal sources have been held back due to a myraid of reasonable and unreasonable reasons ... for example, the Asian carriers (TG/SQ/NH) had raised concerns about TA's service (reasonable), while US had commented in the past of countries not meeting U.S. CAT standards.

I do hope this goes through - will make my NY eve plans of redeeming UAL points SOO much more easier.

Quoting Aer (Reply 24):
Does this mean that TA is going Star? I was checking UA's webpage and they list TA as a comingsoon Star Alliance member. http://www.united.com/page/article/0....html

= I think this is a mistake. In this month's UAL newsletter for 1K/PExec, TACA is listed as a partner airline ... like BWIA and Aeromar.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

carmenlu15

Sat May 27, 2006 4:54 am

Quoting Aer (Reply 24):
I was checking UA's webpage and they list TA as a comingsoon Star Alliance member. http://www.united.com/page/article/0....html

I just checked and TA is now listed under "Airline Partners" rather than "Star Alliance Network". The page must have been changed during the day, I could swear it was not like that in the morning...

Damn, I was getting all  bouncy  at the news.

kiwiandrew

Sat May 27, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 28):
Quoting Aer (Reply 24):
I was checking UA's webpage and they list TA as a comingsoon Star Alliance member. http://www.united.com/page/article/0....html

I just checked and TA is now listed under "Airline Partners" rather than "Star Alliance Network". The page must have been changed during the day, I could swear it was not like that in the morning...

Damn, I was getting all at the news.

it might just be that someone leaked something a little too soon - we can hope , can't we Big grin