Topic Author

BHD George Best

Tue May 23, 2006 2:34 am

Well they've gone and done it.
Today, on what would have been George Best's 60th birthday, they renamed Belfast City Airport as George Best Belfast City Airport.
Although the idea has attracted much oppostion as well as support (I have to say i was never a huge fan), but now that they have done it it seem's to be very tackily done. The new signage at the terminal building looks cheap and nasty, and although it has been referred to as a timeless tribute, it looks like it will date very quickly, and as they went for an in-your-face, theme-park-esque approach, it gives a very bad first impression of the city.

My take on it, now more than ever, is that it was a bad move. Yes George was a great footballer in his prime, but for me that cannot over his long-term decline into media villain/wifebeater/someone who had a second chance to live but selfishly threw it away. At the end of the day, Michael Jackson was/is a very talented artist in his heyday, but would you name an airport after him now?

I digress. Check it out for yourselves

RE: BHD George Best

Tue May 23, 2006 5:16 am

Perhaps it would have been more fitting had the airport bar been named after him  Wink