raffik

Catering BA MAN-LHR Y

Tue May 23, 2006 7:48 am

I am booked on BA1395 MAN-LHR with a 13:35 departure from Manchester, and on my booking, it says that a "Snack" will be served. I am not expecting alot on a 40 minute domestic flight, but what exactly should I be expecting? Will there be a full beverage service- sandwich or just pretzels?

A friend flew NCL-LHR on a 13:30 (approx) flight and said she got a packet of crisps!

Thanks in advance
- Alec

Concorde001

RE: Catering BA MAN-LHR Y

Tue May 23, 2006 7:51 am

On morning services and evening services, a hot sandwich or hot snack is served to all passengers. On the midday or afternoon flights you will be served a packet of crisps and some beverages!

Demoose

Tue May 23, 2006 7:51 am

Flew BA MAN-LHR in March, outbound was a 08:30 departure, and was served a slightly warmed panini, with choice of tea, coffee, orange juice and water. I returned on LHR-MAN at 19:00 and was served a sandwich with full complimentary bar. It's nothing to write home about really, not at all as good as the full english breakfast I got served last year on MAN - LGW with BA.

Mark
Take a ride...fly across the sky

planesarecool

Tue May 23, 2006 7:55 am

Quoting Concorde001 (Reply 1):
On the midday or afternoon flights you will be served a packet of crisps and some beverages!

When did this come into affect? I flew a 12:50 LGW-MAN flight in December and got a tortilla wrap, which was very tasty indeed. I'm flying LGW-MAN next week on a 10:45 departure, will i just get a packet of crisps on this flight?

Feroze

Tue May 23, 2006 7:58 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 3):
When did this come into affect? I flew a 12:50 LGW-MAN flight in December and got a tortilla wrap, which was very tasty indeed. I'm flying LGW-MAN next week on a 10:45 departure, will i just get a packet of crisps on this flight?

Perhaps LGW and LHR have different catering policies(?)

Concorde001

Tue May 23, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 3):

I'm not too sure about flights from LGW, but from LHR BA had been trialing crisps on midday, afternoon flights and then decided some months ago (some time in late 2005 I think) to implement such a catering policy on flights under an hour, with the exception of early morning and late evening flights where frequent flyers valued a hot snack.

raffik

Tue May 23, 2006 8:04 am

On the midday or afternoon flights you will be served a packet of crisps and some beverages!

That doesn't sound particularly fair! They serve a hot breakfast in the moring and a hot dinner in the evening, then surely they can offer something inbetween to midday travellers- a sandwich atleast! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to grab something at the airport.
- Alec

carduelis

Tue May 23, 2006 8:34 am

Quoting Raffik (Reply 6):
They serve a hot breakfast in the moring and a hot dinner in the evening

It is not possible to serve a hot meal LHR MAN due to the time in the cruise - I actually did the journey once in 27 minutes take off to landing.

You will always get a full bar service on the flights, together with tea, coffee, juices, etc. The last time I did the flight I had a warm panini in each direction.

MAN LGW being a slightly longer flight does allow for hot food to be served.

All in all you should be very impressed at what the crew can actually do in the very brief cruise time. It is far superior to what some American Domestic so called First Class get!
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

StarGoldLHR

Tue May 23, 2006 9:14 pm

Quoting Carduelis (Reply 7):
It is not possible to serve a hot meal LHR MAN due to the time in the cruise - I actually did the journey once in 27 minutes take off to landing

Not True.

Back in the days when BMI was a full service airline flying an fully loaded F100 from LHR to MAN.. the stewardesses would be pushing a trolley up the centre of the plane as the plane climbed... rapidly serving a meal over Coventry before pushing that same trolley up hill again as the plane descended into MAN.

Breakfast would be Sausage, Bacon, Scrambled Egg and Beans with a muffin.

Lunch was a simple prawn cocktail and smoked salmon with bearnaise sauce, pieces of fruit and a breadroll

Dinner could be a piece of roast chicken with mashed potatos gravy and asparagus.

At this time the air fare WAS £50 including taxes RETURN, upto £120 in business and you got 1000 airmiles for the roundtrip regardless of fare and lounge access thrown in.
Finally a newspaper was waiting for you as you boarded.

How times change... now it's an empty A320, pay for yesterdays wrapped dry sandwich (assuming they havent sold /thrown it out already and the uy in 20A hasnt already bought it) £60 is a "bargain" fare and no airmiles at all and first class is £200.

Oh and.. those good old days... 2002 !
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

raffik

Tue May 23, 2006 9:51 pm

Why bother with the food at all- a packet of crisps is midly insulting- they should either provide a sandwich - fairly easy and quick to distribute, or just offer a free beverage service. So there's absolutely no chance of recieving anything other than a packet of crisps on my flight?
- Alec

LGWspeedbird

Tue May 23, 2006 10:03 pm

Quoting Feroze (Reply 4):

We are catered by different companies, Alpha flight services at LGW and Gate Gourmet at LHR. Thats why LGW was not affected by the catering strike.

LGWspeedbird
upcoming flights LHR-LAX-HNL-SFO-LHR

HS748

Wed May 24, 2006 12:10 am

To be more precise, a packet of crisps and one beverage! This is BA's idea of full service.

FlyCaledonian

Wed May 24, 2006 12:55 am

For f***s sake, it's probably BA's shortest scheduled flight from LHR and people posting on here are talking like they should get a three course meal! Having flown 10 1/2 hours with CO EWR-HNL and got a salad and a bag of pretzels for that I think BA shorthaul catering is pretty good. The vast majority of passengers probably don't want something to eat mid morning or afternoon. Think I'm kidding? I've been on many short flights where people won't bother with the food because flight so short and time of day. I value BA as a full service airline, but if they can remove excessive costs by not providing meals where people don't want them and keep fares lower so much the better. It seems some people on this site demand as their god given right a meal because they've paid for it! Get a grip, it's not the golden days of flying anymore and the realities are here. Oh, and both BA and bmi are hurting on the LHR-MAN route due to Virgin Trains taking a greater market share with regular half service at just over 2 hours. Again, another reason to reign in costs.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

luv2fly

Wed May 24, 2006 1:52 am

Wow even what they have down graded the catering service to, is more than we ever got here in the States. I was on a Comair flight once from CVG to DTW the plane only seats 50 pax, the load was less than half and the lone FA said that due to the short length of time she was unable to even offer a beverage service on this flight! Now years ago when I flew DL mainline from DTW to CVG they did a complete beverage service on a 727. There is no service in this so called service industry!
You can cut the irony with a knife

MYT332

Wed May 24, 2006 2:08 am

MAN-LHR

BA1383 27MAR06 - 27OCT06 - 0600 dep
BA1385 10MAY06 - 27OCT06 - 0725 dep
BA1387 26MAR06 - 27OCT06 - 0820 dep

Are all listed as HX which is a Hot Baguette.

BA1389 27MAR06 - 28OCT06 - 1000 dep
BA1391 28MAR06 - 27OCT06 - 1115 dep

Are all listed as RB which is Refreshment and Beverage, aka a muesli bar these days. (Well it was both times I flew with an RB catering code this month to or from MAN.)

BA1395 27MAR06 - 28OCT06 - 1330 dep

Listed as DB which is Delibag / Box aka a sandwich, breakaway biscuit and a small plastic water.

BA1399 26MAR06 - 27OCT O6 - 1530 dep

Is listed as RB which is Refreshment and Beverage again. The crap one.

BA1403 27MAR06 - 27OCT06 - 1710 dep
BA1405 28MAR06 - 27OCT06 - 1825 dep
BA1407 27MAR06 - 27OCT06 - 1920 dep

Are all listed as DB which is the Delibox again which isn't too bad as I've said.

There may be some discrepancies there but it's official and correct to my knowledge.

Also don't forget that as far as my morals go, from BA1391 you're allowed to have something alcoholic from the bar!
One Life, Live it.

lotsatLHR

Wed May 24, 2006 2:51 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 8):
Not True.

Back in the days when BMI was a full service airline flying an fully loaded F100 from LHR to MAN.. the stewardesses would be pushing a trolley up the centre of the plane as the plane climbed... rapidly serving a meal over Coventry before pushing that same trolley up hill again as the plane descended into MAN.

Breakfast would be Sausage, Bacon, Scrambled Egg and Beans with a muffin.

Lunch was a simple prawn cocktail and smoked salmon with bearnaise sauce, pieces of fruit and a breadroll

Dinner could be a piece of roast chicken with mashed potatos gravy and asparagus.

At this time the air fare WAS £50 including taxes RETURN, upto £120 in business and you got 1000 airmiles for the roundtrip regardless of fare and lounge access thrown in.
Finally a newspaper was waiting for you as you boarded.

How times change... now it's an empty A320, pay for yesterdays wrapped dry sandwich (assuming they havent sold /thrown it out already and the uy in 20A hasnt already bought it) £60 is a "bargain" fare and no airmiles at all and first class is £200.

Oh and.. those good old days... 2002 !

Kudos to you, sir!
ta-ta-for-now!

carduelis

Wed May 24, 2006 3:00 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 8):
Not True.

Back in the days when BMI was a full service airline flying an fully loaded F100 from LHR to MAN.

I was following the subject headline of BA MANLHR. It is not possible to serve a hot meal, BA style, in the time mentioned. Believe me, I was in BA Catering for several years!

Obviously BMI found that it could not be done in any proper style, so they amended their service.

Recently, I flew from HNL to ORD on AA and had to pay $5 for something wrapped in something else! UGH! Plus $5 for a drink.

I then continued to LHR and was served a mini pizza which was impossible to eat due to being so hard the plastic knofe and fork could not make any impression on it! All in all my approx 16 hours on AA was crap!

What BA provide, any time of the day MANLHR is still far superior to what I endured HNL ORD LHR, and as previously stated, it is more than what you get on US domestic First Class. Also BA do not charge for drinks! Or headsets!

highpeaklad

Wed May 24, 2006 5:19 am

If I was BA I'd scrap any sort of service at all. I feel so sorry for the cabin crew on these flights, it must be the equivalent of the 100metres in athletics - fast as you can out of the blocks, give it all you can, then collapse exhausted. You can see the determination in their eyes, leaping out of their seats as soon as the aircraft has rotated (or so it seems), charging down the aisle with the trolley, followed by a very brisk, and by sometimes by necessity brusque service, quick refuse collection and they're down!
I've never had a flight over 30 minutes, so hats off to all of you and your hard work!

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

MYT332

Wed May 24, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting Highpeaklad (Reply 17):
I feel so sorry for the cabin crew on these flights

Why though? Working for BA isn't conscription!
One Life, Live it.

planesarecool

Wed May 24, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 14):

Do you have the catering information for the Gatwick flights - specifically for BA2906?

highpeaklad

Wed May 24, 2006 5:36 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 18):
Why though? Working for BA isn't conscription

No, but its like drawing the short straw at work. You working your balls off to a tight deadline while you know colleagues are having tons more time to do the same sort of job.

Still you get to fly and be paid so it can't be that bad  Smile

Chris

Speedbirdie

Wed May 24, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting Highpeaklad (Reply 20):

Drawing the Short straw??
I much prefer doing a quick MAN to anything else to be honest! 30 Minute flight each way, service is done quickly and there is no time to hang about! Love it!
Never give up..

highpeaklad

Wed May 24, 2006 5:47 am

That's what I like to see, someone who loves their work. Can't argue with someone who actually does the job.

Hope to see you on my next flight (August 5 10.00 MAN- LHR) if you're flying

Chris

MYT332

Wed May 24, 2006 5:50 am

Fresh from an intranet in the know.

BA2906 30MAR06 - 27OCT06 - dep 1045

The code is coming up as RB Refreshment and Beverage. I'm not sure what that translates as ex LGW however. It's probably the same but you never know, different caterers so perhaps a slightly different meal?

Hope that helps.
One Life, Live it.

raffik

Wed May 24, 2006 8:29 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 14):
BA1395 27MAR06 - 28OCT06 - 1330 dep

Listed as DB which is Delibag / Box aka a sandwich, breakaway biscuit and a small plastic water.

Excellent- I look forward to that! They served a Delibag as a second meal on my LHR-JFK flight last year, so I'm guessing it's something like that?

I hear what people are saying about providing a meal service on a short sector, but what we need to remember is that BA is a full service airline, and people expect drinks and a snack, even on a short flight like this one. I flew Beirut-Damascus with JAT and they managed to do a juice run on a 20 minute service on a 737-300...

I will let you know what is served after I return on thursday.
- Alec

A340600

Wed May 24, 2006 8:42 am

Quoting Demoose (Reply 2):
It's nothing to write home about really, not at all as good as the full english breakfast I got served last year on MAN - LGW with BA.

Make the most of it, the hot breakfast is still going until July (I think) ex LGW, though this could have changed already, this is the service i'm unsure about.

Quoting Feroze (Reply 4):

Slightly different yes. It's a bit 'in the middle' at the moment

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 19):
Do you have the catering information for the Gatwick flights - specifically for BA2906?

I can get some, but not right now.

Ex LGW Band 1 & 2 flights are the same as they have been for ages, the deli boxes, but they are trying something new on Band 3 at the moment. In the morning you now get a tiny bacon and egg roll, fruit pot and cereal bar all packed into one, nothing hot, and after the breakfast time stops it's a sandwhich all day. This is actually less than they offer on the short 1&2 band flights at the moment which shows how confusing things are.

BA actually offer very good catering for a half-hour flight. For all those complaining, take a trip to the US, I say no more Wink

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

raffik

Fri May 26, 2006 6:04 am

Just to let you know that I took this flight today and I was served a egg mayo sandwich with wholemeal bread, a Breakaway chocolate/Biscuit, chilled water cup and a (whole can of) coke with ice. VERY good service on this flight- they worked really hard to serve everyone. Well done BA!
- Alec

Shamrock_747

Fri May 26, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 23):
The code is coming up as RB Refreshment and Beverage. I'm not sure what that translates as ex LGW however.

Your favourite tipple from the bar served with a bag of seeds. Seriously!

StarGoldLHR

Fri May 26, 2006 8:23 am

Ive got to admit...

With airlines, if you pay for it on a "true" LCC or fly BA... the food offering is generally better than the other full service and the "me too me too LCCs".
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

cedars747

Fri May 26, 2006 8:37 am

Quoting Raffik (Reply 26):
Well done BA!

I wish i could say the same to Sas Braathens,nothing free at all on 1hour 50 minutes flight from TOS to OSL"it's a shame"!
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

MYT332

Fri May 26, 2006 8:41 am

I was served a egg mayo sandwich with wholemeal bread, a Breakaway chocolate/Biscuit, chilled water cup

That's the best you can expect on UK domestic other than the hot breakfast! Not bad really.

Quoting Shamrock_747 (Reply 27):
Your favourite tipple from the bar served with a bag of seeds

What, vodka and sugar? Oh wait, that's bmi!

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 28):
the food offering is generally better than the other full service

I have to say, in my experience, LO and LH don't serve particularly nice food on euro routes!

[Edited 2006-05-26 01:43:16]
One Life, Live it.

r44flyer

Fri May 26, 2006 6:34 pm

I flew the BA LHR-EDI route last weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Sure on the way up it was mid morning on an A320 which meant the usual Egg Mayo sandwich.....why is it always Egg mayo!!

Coming back though was the 757 evening service.....so it was Gin and tonic with fresh pasta including cooked meats and a desert.....not bad for £70 return!

I do miss the old hot breakfast service though.

Feroze

Fri May 26, 2006 8:30 pm

Found this on the BA website:

http://askba-questions.custhelp.com/..._created=1140516481&p_sp=undefined

Domestic flights from London Heathrow

Time Aberdeen/Edinburgh/Glasgow Manchester/Newcastle
Breakfast up to 09:59
Full English breakfast on a tray Warm panini
Late morning 10:00-11:59
Drinks service Drinks service
Lunch12:00-13:59
Sandwich and biscuit Sandwich and biscuit
Afternoon 14:00-16:30
Drinks service Drinks service
Evening after 16:30 Salad on a tray Sandwich and biscuit

DavidT

Fri May 26, 2006 9:27 pm

To be honest, a warm panini on a 35 minute flight is more than enough! Considering when I flew UA SFO-SEA I only got a drink and some pretzels for a 2 hr flight, I think the service on the shuttle is very good.

And those warm paninis are gorgeous...

kaddyuk

Fri May 26, 2006 9:40 pm

British Airways are generally Excellent on this route.

I'm a regular traveller (At least once every other month) between London and Manchester and i'll always pick British Airways when available.

Compared with BMI, They serve food, AND a free drink. On emptier sectors, i've even been offered TWO drinks. Their crew are good at what they do and I've only once experienced a delay with British Airways and as I was not in any such rush to get back home, i didnt mind.

British Midland however... They charge rediculous prices for those stupid airline drinks. Their sandwiches are twice the price of the high street and TBH, i'm not convinced by the competence of their crew.
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Speedbirdie

Fri May 26, 2006 10:57 pm

Ah, you must have been on the same flight as my father that day then  Smile
Never give up..

edina

Sat May 27, 2006 5:42 am

Full Breakfast served on GLA/ABZ/EDI & Paninis on NCL/MAN up to 0959.
Worked on - Caravelle Mercure A300 A320 F27 SD3-60 BAe146 747-100/200/400 DC10-30 767 777 737-400 757 A319 A321

raffik

Sat May 27, 2006 6:39 pm

Quoting Speedbirdie (Reply 35):
Ah, you must have been on the same flight as my father that day then

I was in seat 17A - the flight was very full- I could see why they deployed the 757 on this flight. I was surprised at the number of BA cabin crew and pilots travelling down to London! There were probably around 15 cabin crew and a few pilots- is it normal for them to reposition to LHR in this manner?

The flight time was 32 minutes by the way!
- Alec

carduelis

Sat May 27, 2006 8:05 pm

Quoting Raffik (Reply 37):
There were probably around 15 cabin crew and a few pilots- is it normal for them to reposition to LHR in this manner?

They are not re-positioning, they are commuting to LHR from their homes in Manchester, generally on standby tickets. You will also see a lot of red-clad Virgins doing the same thing!