Falcon84
Topic Author

Poignent Moment: CO 480 LAS-CLE 5-23-06

Wed May 24, 2006 7:57 am

It was a sad day for the CO team here in CLE today. One of our own came home for the last time.

It wasn't a soldier, but, literally, one of our own. She was a fomer CLE CO Supervisor, who transferred to LAS in the late 90's. Her name was Beth Finch, and she passed away late last week of lung cancer. I believe she was only 44. She was a great lady. Very sweet, loved a good joke, and always with a smile on her face. 44 is just too young for a friend to leave.

She came in on the 753, flight 480, right on schedule. The Hopkins Airport Fire Department gave her a watergun salute as the aircraft rolled up to gate C-5, as between 100 and 150 of her former CLE colleagues awaited her rampside, many of those in attendance in tears.

I felt honored enough that I volunteered, and was accepted to help carry her cakset off the belt loader, and onto the herse. I haven't seen her since she left CLE, and it's the least I could do for an old friend and colleague.

It was so good to see so many employees out there-even coming in on their day off, to say goodbye to our friend and colleague. A former CO employee even cut short a trip with her family to say goodbye to her friend.

It's a tribute, once again, to the spirit and the goodness of the CO team in CLE that we were able to welcome home our dear friend for the last time.

May she rest in peace.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ANCFlyer

RE: Poignent Moment: CO 480 LAS-CLE 5-23-06

Wed May 24, 2006 8:41 am

My sympathies to you and her family at CO . . . . and to her family at home . . .  tombstone 

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
he Hopkins Airport Fire Department gave her a watergun salute

Very cool . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AirCop

Wed May 24, 2006 9:26 am

44 is just too young for a friend to leave.

How true!

e Hopkins Airport Fire Department gave her a watergun salute as the aircraft rolled up to gate C-5, as between 100 and 150 of her former CLE colleagues awaited her rampside, many of those in attendance in tears.

Must have been someone really special, sorry for your lost.

Family and Friends are so important to each of us as we travel thru this life.

ltbewr

Wed May 24, 2006 1:16 pm

It says a lot about CO and their people for this salute to a late employee. And yes, 44 is about 30-40 years too short for a life. She must have been a good manager and a good person, something rare anyplace.

dutchjet

Wed May 24, 2006 8:12 pm

Its good to hear that CO takes care of its own, even in terrible circumstances such as these.

cle757

Wed May 24, 2006 10:31 pm

This is the second time in two years we've had to do this in CLE, I hope its the last time.
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

frequentflyer

Wed May 24, 2006 11:57 pm

Hang in there Folks in CLE:

It was very graceful from you all to be there at that moment, and also very nice and respectful for the firefighters to provide the salute.

God bless, may your colleague rest in peace

Pat
Take off and live

IAHFLYR

Thu May 25, 2006 12:03 am

Great post, thanks for the information and prayers to all the family, both hers and CO....a great group of folks that I've been fortunate enough to get familiar with here in Houston, great friends. No wonder I love flying on the PROUD BIRD!
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

luv2fly

Thu May 25, 2006 12:04 am

CO always a class act. It just goes to show you just how far this airline has come and will continue to go.
You can cut the irony with a knife

aogdesk

Thu May 25, 2006 12:17 am

Very nice show of respect by all. We're fortunate to have such people in our lives and in this industry.
Slightly unrelated but similar in nature; My office is located next to the facility that receives our young soldiers as they come home for the last time. Usually, it's the first time their families and friends see them, and its truly heartbreaking to see their anguish.
I'm glad to say that each and every one of them receives the respect they deserve from airline and airport employees along the way.

Godspeed to all those people that touch our lives so much.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos