dtwclipper

New Pics Of DTW North Terminal

Thu May 25, 2006 8:35 pm

The Free Press has got some new pics of the project scheduled to be done in 2008.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006605250311
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

cgnnrw

RE: New Pics Of DTW North Terminal

Thu May 25, 2006 9:02 pm

Very interesting and positive development for DTW. I have not had the chance to use DTW for quite a few years. I've heard a lot of positive comments about the McNamara Terminal so I expect the new North terminal should be a welcomed improvement. Well, to be honest anything is an improvement over the Berry Terminal, what a disgrace!

One thing I found very interesting in the article was the new terminal hasn't been named after anyone yet. What's wrong with calling it simply North Terminal? Why name it after some obscure politician/personality/sports figure most people couldn't care less about?
A330 man.

flyinryan99

Fri May 26, 2006 12:34 am

How many gates are at the current Smith terminal? I was just wondering what gate allocation might look like with 26 gates with a few international ones.

dtwclipper

Fri May 26, 2006 12:38 am

TWFirst

Fri May 26, 2006 12:43 am

Will the two terminals be linked at all (by rail/people mover)??
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

dtwclipper

Fri May 26, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 4):

Public transportation in Detroit, you must be kidding!!!!! banghead   banghead   banghead 

I don't believe there are any plans for such transport.

TWFirst

Fri May 26, 2006 1:14 am

It would be cool if they could extend the tram from McNamera, out the north end of the terminal, and over to the new terminal.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

7e72004

Fri May 26, 2006 1:20 am

The north terminal will be nice! Any construction photos??
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

desertjets

Fri May 26, 2006 1:33 am

Actually a rather anonoymous glass and steel structure from the outside. But it looks really well thought out, open and airy, which is a big plus. Overall a very nice facility, if not all that exciting from an architectual standpoint.

The only major downside is that it looks like the walk from the parking garage to the terminal is rather long.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

hjulicher

Fri May 26, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 4):

I think that that's asking too much. Rail link between terminals! I would be all for it, but in reality, there is no reason to have anything else than a bus, and at best, it will be after exiting security and everything. The airport is planned is such a way, that there will be minimal if any connections between terminals required, and this is because Northwest and it's partners will use their terminal, and the other airlines will use the north terminal. Unless you really searching for bargain fares, and end up flying spirit to Detroit, and then connecting onto NW for International flight or something, but that rarely happens.

Airlines at Mcnamara Terminal (after opening of North Terminal):
Northwest, Delta, Continental, AirFrance, KLM, (all skyteam airlines)

Airlines at North Terminal:
Lufthansa, British Airways, Royal Jordanain, American Airlines, United, UsAirways/AWA, Spirit, Southwest, AirTran, Frontier, Charters, and any other non skyteam airlines.

I'm impressed, but I don't really understand the use of colors in the terminal... Do they mean colors, or materials? Wood is a material in my opinion. I think however, that they should develop the terminal so that it can be easily expanded. The airport is reducing the number of gates, so there might be a chance that there will be a need for more gates.

The baggage area looks immense, and that will be welcome. A very nice place to meet relatives at Thanksgiving or Christmas.
LH 442

dtwclipper

Fri May 26, 2006 2:04 am

Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 7):

No, we are still in the "demolition" stage.

7e72004

Fri May 26, 2006 2:08 am

How much of concourse C is left? THe last time i was there they had taken off the "extension" that was built a while back.

hjulicher

Fri May 26, 2006 2:32 am

The extension was taken off a long time ago because it was too long, and not needed after NW's move. Spirit uses concourse C, so it won't be demolished until the North Terminal comes online. So to answer your question, half of Concourse C still remains.
LH 442

burnsie28

Fri May 26, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 1):
One thing I found very interesting in the article was the new terminal hasn't been named after anyone yet. What's wrong with calling it simply North Terminal?

I'm sure McNamara will name it after himself again, even though he didn't do **** on the World Gateway, of which NW pretty much did everything on their own, I really don't think it was right of the City of Detroit to name NW's terminal after McNamara, when they didnt do anything. It should be simply the Northwest World Gateway as NW recognizes it.

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 6):
It would be cool if they could extend the tram from McNamera, out the north end of the terminal, and over to the new terminal.

There is no reason too, like one said, unless expedia gives you an odd routing, there should be absolutely no reason why any passenger from the North Terminal would need to go to the NW terminal.

dtwclipper

Fri May 26, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 13):
I'm sure McNamara will name it after himself again,

He died this year, so not an issue.

really don't think it was right of the City of Detroit to name NW's terminal after McNamara, when they didnt do anything. It should be simply the Northwest World Gateway as NW recognizes it.

It's not the city of Detroit, but Wayne County...and the county was very much involved.

7e72004

Fri May 26, 2006 2:59 am

I just remembered that several years ago i arrived in the F concourse and had to go to the end of C which seemed like the longest walk i had ever did.

neilalp

Fri May 26, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 10):
Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 7):

I should hopefully have some nice shots later in Aug. and for the next 3 years while building. I'm know the guy who is in charge of taping and documenting the who process. He invited me out Tuesday for taking down more of the hotel, but I wasn't able to attend. Sometimes he is only given hours notice before they want him to go out and grab footage. However, I'll have more time after the summer and until it is done. I plan on grabbing some pictures and posting them.

7e72004

Fri May 26, 2006 3:50 am

cool  Smile I wish i was able to get a good view of the IND construction but it is almost impossible to get close enough to get some good videos/pictures.

jetpixx

Fri May 26, 2006 7:32 am

Hopefully the new North Terminal doesn't have that stupid, dotted tint on the windows which cuts down on sunlight/glare, etc. If you are a spotter inside the airport, you cannot get any shots at all with your camera through this stuff. I know that is minimal when thinking - but I try at all costs to route myself through anywhere other than DTW - as photography is a major part of the fun when I fly. It is especially disappointing when there are cool birds like DTW has...

...what is with DTW with the abnormally long terminal, too? 26 gates and it is not a finger - but rather one long concourse...like the new World Gateway - it sucks when you have to walk - or take that train - 600 miles...

dtwclipper

Fri May 26, 2006 7:40 am

Quoting Jetpixx (Reply 18):
what is with DTW with the abnormally long terminal, too? 26 gates and it is not a finger - but rather one long concourse

Why would you want "fingers"? All they do is block traffic. I think the linear design for the North Terminal works fine for the type of traffic expected there. Secondly, the North Terminal is for O & D traffic, so you really won't be going from one end to the other.

like the new World Gateway - it sucks when you have to walk - or take that train - 600 miles...

I can't believe you can find this as a fault? What else would you do for a Hub?
No matter what you say, the Worldgateway is a lot better then going from the "g" concourse to C26...that was a hike!

BritPilot777

Fri May 26, 2006 8:02 am

Long overdue, I remember flying in and out of the Smith Terminal 2-3 times a month when my ex lived there, and it was a nightmare, really was ageing quite badly! New models look really good!

BP777
Forever Flight

jetpixx

Fri May 26, 2006 11:20 am

Dtwclipper - I'll be cursing during my stop tomorrow connecting from MIA to MSP in DTW...but at least I have two and half hours and I can stop off for Chili's...it is a nice airport, but I guess I am more of a fan of ATL's design...

dtw9

Fri May 26, 2006 11:59 am

...what is with DTW with the abnormally long terminal, too? 26 gates and it is not a finger - but rather one long concourse...like the new World Gateway - it sucks when you have to walk - or take that train - 600 miles...

Last time I looked, ATL has all linear terminals and a train to get you between them. Don't quite understand your logic. If you don't like the 600 mile train at DTW, try using the 600 mile moving walkway  Smile

NASCARAirforce

Sat May 27, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 1):
One thing I found very interesting in the article was the new terminal hasn't been named after anyone yet. What's wrong with calling it simply North Terminal? Why name it after some obscure politician/personality/sports figure most people couldn't care less about?

As long as they don't call it the Coleman Young Terminal, then again they just named DET (Detroit City Airport) the Coleman Young Airport. I really don't know what other politicians they could name the north terminal after - Ficano I don't think is that involved and Engler was opposed to airport expansion in the 1990s.

Maybe they could name it after a Detroit Celeb -

Gordie Howe would be the best in my opinion, or maybe Steve Yzerman

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 6):

A little hard to do with an active Runway 9L/27R between the terminals plus taxiways, unless they built a tunnel underneath the runway, but the costs would outwiegh the benefits-

A. not much travel between the two terminals - not often do you have someone arriving on AA or UA, then transfering over to a NW flight.

B. Sufficient ground transportation ie terminal to terminal shuttles - I used to work at DTW and I had to travel from the Smith to the Mac a lot. I used to wait a good 15 minutes for a shuttle and hardly anyone would transfer from the Smith to the Mac. I would be riding on empty buses 80% of the time and if there was anyone else on board, more than likely they were another DTW employee.

cgnnrw

Sat May 27, 2006 1:15 am

I'm sure McNamara will name it after himself again, even though he didn't do **** on the World Gateway, of which NW pretty much did everything on their own, I really don't think it was right of the City of Detroit to name NW's terminal after McNamara, when they didnt do anything. It should be simply the Northwest World Gateway as NW recognizes it.

Who was this McNamara guy anyway???

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 23):
A. not much travel between the two terminals - not often do you have someone arriving on AA or UA, then transfering over to a NW flight.

B. Sufficient ground transportation ie terminal to terminal shuttles - I used to work at DTW and I had to travel from the Smith to the Mac a lot. I used to wait a good 15 minutes for a shuttle and hardly anyone would transfer from the Smith to the Mac. I would be riding on empty buses 80% of the time and if there was anyone else on board, more than likely they were another DTW employee.

This is fine as long as the seperation between NW/Skyteam and the rest remains the way its supposed to be planned. Just as long as NW or another Skyteam member doesn't suddenly decide to operate some flights out of the North Terminal.

Also don't forget about us a.netters who like to wonder around airports......no need to over excert one's self now is there...  

[Edited 2006-05-26 18:16:32]
A330 man.

Mexicana757

Sat May 27, 2006 1:42 am

The North Terminal will look very nice once its done. Good to see DTW improve their facilities.  hyper  I just hope they don't have those dots on the windows like they have at the McNamara Terminal. Makes it hard to take pictures.  biggrin 

dtwclipper

Sat May 27, 2006 1:44 am

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 24):

Who was this McNamara guy anyway???

EDWARD H. MCNAMARA | 1926-2006: McNamara mastered political hardball
Former Wayne Co. exec is felled by heart failure

Edward H. McNamara died as he governed. Fighting.

The longtime former Wayne County executive had been battling lymphoma for more than three years, and he was hospitalized about 10 days ago with heart and lung problems. Some who visited him during his final days said they thought that he would persevere again.

But he lost his last fight Sunday when he died of heart failure. He was 79. It was the image of a fighter that allies remembered when reflecting on his life.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...0060220/NEWS08/602200358/1001/NEWS

Doug Steenland, Northwest Airlines president and chief executive officer: "His vision, perseverance and leadership transformed Wayne County Detroit Metropolitan Airport. Northwest's largest operation proudly operates today from the Edward H. McNamara Terminal. Ed knew what he wanted and he knew how to get it. Detroit Metro Airport's expansion has made Detroit the best airport in the country and was completed on time and on budget using a unique public-private partnership that to this day stands out."

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 24):
Just as long as NW or another Skyteam member doesn't suddenly decide to operate some flights out of the North Terminal.

Why would they...there is sufficient space at the NW terminal.

[Edited 2006-05-26 18:45:52]

jetblueatjfk

Sat May 27, 2006 4:59 am

I can't wait until it opens, the Smith terminal is very bad and I hate flying out of it a lot. It will be a big improvemnt.

But my question is there any gates that aren't delegated to a certain airline, like empty gates to allow room for new airlines???

And is there any bigger maps of the project, the one on the website is to small to see where the airlines are going to be.

B6jfk airplane 

iowaman

Sat May 27, 2006 5:07 am

Any chance WN will pick up another gate or start a couple new flights?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sat May 27, 2006 5:44 am

Yes, there are some gates that will be common use.

This the gate breakdown (tenative) at least as I recall.

26 total gates:
8 Spirit
3 United
3 AA/Eagle
3 USAirway/America West
3 Southwest
2 International Arrivals
1 AirTran
1 Frontier

Frontier will most likely not use a dedicated gate since they only have 2 flights a day into DTW. There will be some available space for future flights.

As for Southwest, they currently have 4 gates in the Smith terminal, but only want 3 in the new North terminal since they don't have the need for the additional gates and will be able to operate more efficiently in the new terminal. They do not have plans for growth at DTW, although BWI may have been in the picture, but it appears AirTran beat then to it.

vegasplanes

Sat May 27, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting DTW.SCE" class=quote target=_blank>PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 29):

As for Southwest, they currently have 4 gates in the Smith terminal, but only want 3 in the new North terminal since they don't have the need for the additional gates and will be able to operate more efficiently in the new terminal.

WN has only 16 departures on the ave. day from DTW, seems like they would be able to make due with 2 dedicated gates and occasional use of a common use gate. Seems like everytime WN adds a destination from DTW, they lower frequencies on existing routes, WN used to do 18 or so daily flights from DTW when they served only MDW and STL N/S. Now with BNA and PHX service, STL is down to 3 flights daily, MDW is 8 flights daily. I would think it is unlikely WN will ever get past 20 daily departures from DTW, the midwest is not their strong-point, outside of MDW none of WN's stations in the midwest are growing.

dtw9

Sat May 27, 2006 6:51 am

Frontier will most likely not use a dedicated gate since they only have 2 flights a day into DTW. There will be some available space for future flights.

Frontier has 3 flights a day from Metro,flights 623,627,629

burnsie28

Sat May 27, 2006 8:40 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 14):

It's not the city of Detroit, but Wayne County...and the county was very much involved.

From what I understand it was NW who paid for the terminal up front, paid for the design of the terminal and choose what all the terminal would have. Then it was givent to the county to slowly pay back NW for this. NW had people on-site throughout the construction process.

you cannot get any shots at all with your camera through this stuff. I know that is minimal when thinking

Yes you can, its easy to focus it out.

Quoting Jetpixx (Reply 21):
Dtwclipper - I'll be cursing during my stop tomorrow connecting from MIA to MSP in DTW...but at least I have two and half hours and I can stop off for Chili's...it is a nice airport, but I guess I am more of a fan of ATL's design...

Odd for one that was complaining about long terminals, which ATL has without any moving walkways, and more terminals you either walk or take a tram through, so I dont see what your point is when the tram takes 2 min max to get from one end to the other. The walkways get you there fast too.

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 28):
Any chance WN will pick up another gate or start a couple new flights?

They are dropping a gate. WN isnt "big" in DTW with NW and Spirit.

NASCARAirforce

Sat May 27, 2006 1:20 pm

26 total gates:
8 Spirit
3 United
3 AA/Eagle
3 USAirway/America West
3 Southwest
2 International Arrivals
1 AirTran
1 Frontier

Not sure if your gate allocations are totally right PSU, although I have some older info and stuff might have changed from a year ago when I did a research paper on the North Terminal project at ERAU and talked to DTW airport officials about gate allocations... btw your gates only add up to 24.

Here is what I have

Spirit - 8 (+ 1 common use for international flights)
UAL - 3
Southwest - 3
AA - 3
US - 2
AWE -2
WCAA - 5

However Airtran was not flying to DTW at the time of this paper and Frontier had just started flying so neither were a signatory carrier and could have since got those gates. This was also before the AWE and US merger

The Five gates that the WCAA owned at the time would be swing gates, all five would have access to the customs area. There would be two widebody gates shared by LH, BA and RJ, the other one would be used by Spirit for its CUN flights as well as USA 3000 etc. Again, this was written before Air Tran flew to DTW and Frontier was brand new. Being that Frontier only has two flights a day at DTW, the WCAA could maybe lease the gate back for the times when Frontier isn't using it.

Think about this,

the North Terminal is going to have 26 gates vs. the 29 that the Davey has + the four that Berry has, so they are going to do in 26 what they have done with 33.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon May 29, 2006 1:11 am

Yeah, a lot of gate allocations for the smaller carriers may have changed. I didn't realize Frontier was up to 3 flights a day now. Anyways, gate space as never really been the issue for anyone. Its RON aircraft space. If you go by the Smith terminal at any point other than first thing in the morning, the place always has more open gates than not. The new terminal will allow for better placement of RON aircraft and gate utlization. Airlines now, especially given how important costs are, do not want to lease more gates than necessary, considering at the outstations, they would sit empty a majority of the day.

DTWAGENT

Mon May 29, 2006 8:06 am

I can see more construction as they add more gates on. This will be fine for right now. But, Spirit and Airtran could and should expand big time in DTW.

chris133

Mon May 29, 2006 8:09 am

From the pics it reminds me a lot of the new WN terminal at BWI.

hjulicher

Mon May 29, 2006 10:01 am

Remember that the terminal will be able to add up to 5 gates once the other remaining buildings are demonilished. I think the airport has an agreement with NW that the terminal has 26 gates, but it doesn't meet that there can't be places more. They deliberately left space so that more gates could be added. So in totol, the terminal can have 5 additional gates added if need be.
LH 442

Dtw757

Tue May 30, 2006 3:20 am

Looks Beautiful! I can't wait until the _______ (put a politician name here) terminal opens. People can say what they want about the city of Detroit, but Detroit Metro Airport will truly be world class.

I do hope when it is finished that they remove the stupid concrete barriers that they have in place all over the parking garage to keep you seperated from the cheap parking. The parking garage used to be so easy to maneuver and now I find it very frustrating.
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

Dtw757

Tue May 30, 2006 7:28 am

More information on this. Looks like Lufthansa, British, and Royal Jordanian will move from McNamara to the new north terminal.

http://www.metroairport.com/uploads/docs/NR_North_Terminal_model.pdf
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

NASCARAirforce

Tue May 30, 2006 8:13 am

BA, LH and RJ moving to the North Terminal has been known for at least a year.

The whole area where the Smith currently is located is likely to be used for further expansion. Supposedly in the new master plan there is enough room for 20 more gates to be added in that area