YVRlonghauler
Topic Author

Major Transit Traffic Airports

Sat May 27, 2006 12:10 pm

Hi there,

Are there any large airports whose operations are geared mainly at transit passengers, as opposed to mostly O&D traffic or a combination thereof? Evidently, all major major hubs are both transit/O&D, but I'd like to know of airports whose main business is actually transit traffic. (BTW, did a quick search, but only found scattered info here and there).

Regards,

YVRlonghauler

AlexPorter

RE: Major Transit Traffic Airports

Sat May 27, 2006 12:18 pm

I don't know for sure, but my impression is that Dubai is like this. Also, major hubs with relatively small cities would probably be like this as well, such as SLC, CLT, and maybe MEM.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

don

Sat May 27, 2006 1:07 pm

My top 10 transit airport list in no particular Order: (Not based on any statistics but IMHO)

International (Excl Central and South America, an area I am clueless about)
SIN, HKG, NRT, DXB, LHR, FRA, AMS, CDG, TPE? , SEL?

US
ATL, ORD, LAX, EWR, DFW, PHX, DTW, MSP, SFO, MIA, IAH

[Edited 2006-05-27 06:10:16]

SLCUT2777

Sat May 27, 2006 1:16 pm

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 1):
I don't know for sure, but my impression is that Dubai is like this. Also, major hubs with relatively small cities would probably be like this as well, such as SLC, CLT, and maybe MEM.

SLC is growing which is why DL has remained and even built up their presence here. But for the most part it is a major transition hub for west coast bound traffic and fits the saying "The Crossroads of the West." SLC is a good DEN alternative for DL, just as CLT is for US/HP since ATL is virtually owned local stock and two smoking barrels by DL back in the SE US. MEM is mostly a hub for FedEx and only a small hub for NW.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

AlexPorter

Sat May 27, 2006 2:20 pm

Quoting Don (Reply 2):
International (Excl Central and South America, an area I am clueless about)
SIN, HKG, NRT, DXB, LHR, FRA, AMS, CDG, TPE? , SEL?

Keep in mind that in many of these Asian cities, and in London and Paris, there is going to be a LOT of O&D traffic due to the huge populations in these places.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

SLCUT2777

Sat May 27, 2006 2:34 pm

USA airports where transit or connecting passengers are greater than the O&D numbers would include:
CLT: Largest USAir Hub in the east connecting the eastern seaboard of the USA
DEN: UA hub in the west and the smallest of 5 hub markets served.
SLC: DL hub in the west and smallest DL hub city (although market wise it is closing the gap with CVG). Onetime Western Airlines hub.
CVG: DL's ATL reliever hub 500 miles to the north.
MEM: NW hub in the south, former Republic hub and Southern Airways hub.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

YVRlonghauler
Topic Author

Mon May 29, 2006 10:29 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 3):
MEM is mostly a hub for FedEx and only a small hub for NW.

Yes, MEM was the first one that came to mind because of FedEx, at least as far as North America goes. I was wondering whether the number of transit passengers going through AMS and FRA would be high enough to challenge those that are O&D ...

B752OS

Mon May 29, 2006 3:59 pm

I should think that ATL sees the most amount of connecting passengers in relation to their O&D passengers out of any airport in North America.