How Many DC-8's Are Still Flying?

Fri Jun 16, 2000 7:20 am

How many DC-8's are in service today?? My guess is about 48578783489389489389489849389.   Yeah Right!!

woodsboy

RE: How Many DC-8's Are Still Flying?

Fri Jun 16, 2000 7:38 am

Some 313 DC-8s are still registered as "in use" I suppose that some of these might currently be for sale or owned for spare recovery but the right around 300 mark is a pretty good figure. Well over half of the DC-8s built are still in service, many more than civilian 707s. The majority of 707s are later build KC-135s and remain in military service.

The DC-8 is by far the most durable and longest lasting of the first generation 4 holers. I bet that if the VC-10 had been more commercially successful it too would have continued to serve long after 707s were gone. Of course there still are some 25 VC-10s in RAF service.

Tom in NO

Fri Jun 16, 2000 8:39 am

Check out Bill Harm's airliner registration web-site at http:www.bird.ch/bharms/asr_sh00.htm

That should give you the info you need. Good luck.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Fri Jun 16, 2000 10:28 am

Try this
http://www.bird.ch/bharms/asr_sh00.htm
It should work.

My estimate is around 290 DC-8.Yesterday at SIN I saw an unknown DC-8 parked at the remote bay.Anyone knows what it is?

Gundu

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos