777fan
Topic Author

How Do Airlines Make Their Wine Selections?

Sun May 28, 2006 4:14 am

Interesting article although it neglected to mention if the taste testers had any clue!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...113803.story?coll=chi-business-hed

Has anyone actually had a decent tasting glass of wine while airborne? I find UA's domestic options awful at best. Maybe airlines ought to consider offering low-end brands for free, while charging a nominal fee to "upgrade" to a particular vintage. I still suggest offering the option to order a specific meal, beverage, etc. while making one's seat selection or reservation.

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

comorin

RE: How Do Airlines Make Their Wine Selections?

Sun May 28, 2006 6:10 am

YES!!!

BA introduced me to the excellent Boony Doon vineyards in CA, and my first sip of De Loach Chardonnay. Transatlantic in CW/F is a great way to spend an afternoon wine-tasting...

777fan
Topic Author

Sun May 28, 2006 6:23 am

I vaguely recall someone mentioning a wine-tasting excursion flight in and around Europe during the 1970s - the flight departed from and arrived at the same airport after a 6-8 hour sightseeing jaunt. The thread suggested the flights resembled a booze cruise. I wonder if the wine on those flights was any better than what I've seen on US domestic flights!

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

sunking737

Sun May 28, 2006 6:43 am

I know the airline I worked for they bought based on price. They changed wine brands 3 times in 4 years, each time the next one was cheaper then the last.

But with the last brand they were selling more of it. The names escapes me but it was from california.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

Sun May 28, 2006 6:46 am

For their C/F international wine offerings, the airlines usually tout and profile their sommelier in the in-flight mag, the menus, etc. I've had some bad wines, but a few that were very drinkable, in C on LA and UA. For some reason, although I drink mostly red on the ground, I find whites more memorable in the air. An article on the UA sommelier mentioned that the choices for in-flight wines have to take into account the environment (dry, lower-pressured air), so he avoids certain qualities such as anything highly astringent.

The wines I've had in economy, on the other hand, are all nothing I'd ever drink on the ground (and I drink some pretty cheap stuff).
7 hours aint long-haul

SLCUT2777

Sun May 28, 2006 6:54 am

Quoting 777fan (Thread starter):
Has anyone actually had a decent tasting glass of wine while airborne? I find UA's domestic options awful at best. Maybe airlines ought to consider offering low-end brands for free, while charging a nominal fee to "upgrade" to a particular vintage. I still suggest offering the option to order a specific meal, beverage, etc. while making one's seat selection or reservation.

777fan

I'm not a wine drinker. But if an airline wanted to get some good fine wines to have on board and not pay through the nose for them, I'm told by many and have read a great deal about Costco Wholesale Warehouse Corporation's wine selection and buying program. Of course here in Utah they would have to go through the Utah Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority (run by the good ole State of Utah  devil !), and with any state run enterprise, you end up with a loser! Costco would take out the guess work for any supply procurements for any carrier.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

Bicoastal

Sun May 28, 2006 7:15 am

UA's wines in first and business are quite good. The economy mini-bottles with screw tops suck, however. And wine out of a plastic cup....argh! But, you get what you pay for. Generally with the glut of good quality and relatively inexpensive wines on the worldwide market, it should be a buyers market for airlines. I've had a few flights where flight attendants were quite knowledgeable on what they were pouring. Nice touch.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

dutchjet

Sun May 28, 2006 7:19 am

Well, a bunch of F/As sit around and drink wine until they are falling down drunk....and if they liked the wine, thats whats served!

Oh, seriously, wine and beverage choices are made by the executive chefs and their associates in the airlines inflight services/catering department....many airlines consult with well known restaurant owners, celebrity chefs, etc and get their input. Selecting wines is not as easy as it sounds, availibility and distribution are huge issues.....lots of supply must be available from many distribution points, for example.

Wine tends not to taste as good in the air as it does on the ground........there is a scientific/medical reason for this, but I cannot remember it (I must have drank too much wine!).

Hughes Airwest used to have Wine Tasting Services on some of their longer (meaning 1.5 to 2 hour) flights in the US west.......only us old guys would remember that.

saturn5

Sun May 28, 2006 7:30 am

As you can see from this article (assuming it is true) even the first class passengers get a wine of approx. value $20-30 a bottle.

I like wine enough that recently I "upgraded" myself from purchasing a typical $10-$20 range per bottle to $30-50. Price is not everything, I quickly realized you get much better value if you stay away from wines made in Napa or Sonoma which carry a premium. I once made a stop at Paso Robles and after some tasing came across this one small winery that only sells wine directly. After tasting some of their wines I realized what sort of mouth-wash I had had before. All of a sudden I was experiencing a wine that was aged in new oak barrels for over 18 months. The difference in quality was so stark that on the spot I vowed to never drink a wine that woul be less than that. I enrolled in their wine club. Yes, I pay now typically about $32 per bottle but when I now open one of their wines I am in heaven. When I serve this wine to my unsuspecting friends they stare at me in disbelief after the first sip. No, you will never experince a wine like that on an aircraft (even in first class) since airlines buy wines from suppliers who in turn buy from wineries that typically produce more than 20,000 cases a year. In my opinion you get best quality/price ratio from vineyards that limit themselves to 4000-10000 cases a year. I flew a few times first class on Cathay Pacific (LAX-Hongkong) and although their wines are ok they never even approach quality of the wines I have in mind. And as you can see you don't have to spend $100 or more per bottle to enjoy wine of fantastic quality (throwing a lot $$ for wine is easy).

As someone remarked wine will never taste as good on an aircraft as in your home/restaurant so maybe airlines know what they are doing - too expensive wines not only would be a waste but would probably fail to impress most passengers since majority know little about good wines anyway.

[Edited 2006-05-28 00:36:29]

We're Nuts

Sun May 28, 2006 7:56 am

Here is a good article on Southwest's blog about their wine selection process:

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/2006/05...22/no-more-whining-about-the-wine/
Dear moderators: No.

SLCUT2777

Sun May 28, 2006 8:31 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 7):
Well, a bunch of F/As sit around and drink wine until they are falling down drunk....and if they liked the wine, that's whats served!

If they are 21-40 or so, where do they do this!  crazy   drool   drunk   eyepopping   hypnotized   laughing   rotfl   rotfl 
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

Scrappy74

Sun May 28, 2006 8:33 am

Quoting 777fan (Thread starter):
I find UA's domestic options awful at best.

The funny thing is, UA actually employs a sommelier (translation: person who spends their day sniffing and swilling wine). I read this in the April or May issue of Hemispheres...

Not being a big wine connaisseur, I can't weigh in much other than the fact that ANYTHING tastes bad in a plastic cup (memories of college are rushing back...).

boggled 
"These days, I wish I was 6 again..."

777fan
Topic Author

Sun May 28, 2006 8:35 am

Quoting Saturn5 (Reply 8):
I once made a stop at Paso Robles

Paso Robles is heaven on earth!

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 9):

The funniest thing about that article was that my initial reaction made me believe there'd be something about Boone's on it! LMAO! Vendage is fair at best; a restaurant I worked at several years ago touted it as one of their better wines, a fact that was refuted by it's poor customer reviews and subsequent discontinuation!

777fan

saturn5

Sun May 28, 2006 1:12 pm

Quoting 777fan (Reply 12):
Paso Robles is heaven on earth!

Your words not mine Big grin
But I happen to agree. And though still relatively 'undiscovered' I see significant increase of people going through their wineries in the last year.

kith

Sun May 28, 2006 1:39 pm

Steve Wolf used to personally pick many of the US wine selections. At his apartment in Paris he had cases of the best wines (US Wines in the late 1990's in their 1 row of F on the A330 were superb). Usually $80+, rediculous. -Matt in KITH

BigGSFO

Sun May 28, 2006 1:44 pm

As airlines cut costs, expect to see some two-Buck-Chuck....
 Smile

andz

Sun May 28, 2006 1:52 pm

South Africa produces some of the world's finest wines and SAA are keen to promote them, the wine selection varies regularly and there are different wines for first, business and economy class.

http://ww4.flysaa.com/en/en_content_...es/za_dining_services_content.html

This is unfortunately to the standard of most of SAA's pitiful website but it gives an idea of the selections available.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

We're Nuts

Sun May 28, 2006 3:16 pm

Quoting KITH (Reply 14):
Steve Wolf used to personally pick many of the US wine selections. At his apartment in Paris he had cases of the best wines

Nice "business" expense, Stevie.  banghead 
Dear moderators: No.

ckfred

Sun May 28, 2006 4:03 pm

I know that AA used to have a professor in Purdue University's Ag College (he was an expert on the science of growing grapes) select its wines.

On a BOS-ORD flight in first on AA, I discovered a very nice chardonney from Chalk Hill Winery in California.

Joni

Sun May 28, 2006 7:53 pm

Finnair for one has a good wine selection, and I've noticed they match the wine to the food each time, even in Economy.

The cabin pressure etc. do affect how the wine tastes, but this can be taken into account when selecting the wine. For one, I'd expect that with the lower pressure it would take longer for any aeration to occur. Perhaps the producers even take this to account and produce specific versions of their wines for airline use - I don't imagine that the FAs decant anything even in First.

PanHAM

Sun May 28, 2006 8:03 pm

BA rates very well with their Wine selection in C and F and their selection of Champagnes is outstanding.

The biggest problem with wine is that the taste is different in the air than it is on the ground. That makes it very difficult to get the right selection.

Whatever is served in Y, my suggestion is that you rather drink mineral water. Like Wine should never be bough in a supermarket. Life is too short to drink bad Wines.