j_hallgren

What Did I See Over N.Jersey?

Fri Jun 16, 2000 1:31 pm

More than once, I have seen what seems to be a military airport from the air at 25k+ and have been unable to figure our where/what it is.

The airport has a number of what appears to be c-130 or larger a/c on an apron in front of a hanger. The shape of the apron is somewhat of a wide "V".
It is somewheres in mid-NJ possibly.

Since it may be military/reserve, I couldn't find it on Terraserver.com thus far.

Also, are there two blimp hangers at Lakehurst still?
I saw what appears to be something like that type of building also in that area. They were VERY large buildings!

Have been wondering about this for a few years....
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

McGuire AFB

Fri Jun 16, 2000 1:38 pm

I'm assuming you saw McGuire AFB in NJ. The aircraft you saw were C-17s, not C-130s. Hope this is right.

flashmeister

RE: What Did I See Over N.Jersey?

Fri Jun 16, 2000 11:09 pm

What you saw is, in fact, McGuire AFB. McGuire and Lakehurst (and Ft. Dix for that matter) all adjoin. I live about 5 miles from base and know many people who work the flight line there.

You probably saw a C-17, but you also should have been able to see a fleet of KC-10 tankers and a few KC-135 tankers that call McGuire home.

If you are in the right place at the right time, you can see all sorts of stuff go in and out of there - private cargo ops 747s, MD-11s, DC-8s... I saw a Tower Air 747 there once transporting the Kosovo refugees.

Rumor has it that UPS is going to open a mini-depot there in a government-private partnership, but I haven't heard anything more...

You can get TerraServer pictures of McGuire AFB. I'll find the link and post it here.

akelley728

Sat Jun 17, 2000 2:02 am

I was at the McGuire public Air Show on June 3rd. We heard the same UPS mini-depot rumor also. Guess what? I heard the rumor at the FEDEX booth!

McGuire is home to the NJ ANG Air Refueling wing along with a MAC wing (I'm not sure which).

BTW, the Thunderbirds were at this show - it was awesome!

Sat Jun 17, 2000 2:11 am

Yes, Lakehurst still has Blimp hangars. They are still used for LTA research as well as other projects from what I know.

LTA- Lighter than air

Gregg in MD

deltairlines

Sat Jun 17, 2000 3:37 am

It was McGuire AFB. I have seen it a few times as well.

Jeff

flashmeister

Sat Jun 17, 2000 5:41 am

McGuire is a base for the Air Mobility Command. It's the home of:
- 305th Air Mobility Wing (mostly aerial port, air refuling, and airlift ops, and an aerial medicine squadron)

- 621st Air Mobility Ops Group (rapid remote airfield setup and operation - the first to go in many cases for things like desert airfield setups and relief operations)

- 108th Air Refueling Wing (Guard Wing)

- Air Mobility Warfare Center

It also serves as the HQ for the 21st Air Force.

Since it was on the brink of closure 5 years ago, it's actually developed into a very important base - it's one of the main ports to send supplies across the Atlantic and home of a third of the rapid response AMOG force of the Air Force.

Just miscellany in case you wanted to know...