EUROBUS
Topic Author

IB Planning To Drop Most BCN Operations!

Wed May 31, 2006 4:38 am

According to the news, IB would be planning to drop the 'majority' of routes which operate out of BCN, except for the BCN-MAD shuttle, due to the lack of profitability of the 'point to point' connections, said IB president Fernando Conte.

The elimination of these routes would give the new LCC airline, projected by IB and other companies, a larger growth potential.

This measure will not only affect El Prat (BCN's lovely airport name), but also other national airports, although BCN would be the most affected.

Mr Conte explained that, amid the elimination of routes, "in no case are we talking about an eventual closedown of IB operations out of BCN". Barcelona airport is the second most important in Spain, after MAD-Barajas. Since the celebration of the Olympic Games it has increased it's passenger volume over a 100%, from 10 million in 1992 to over 27 million in 2005.

The 'director plan' (strategy plan) for the 2006-2008 period concentrates on a reorganization of its operations focusing on profitability rather than growth, what will mean expanding their long-haul connections (+13%) more than the European ones (+0,7%), and reducing their domestic flights (-17%).

"The selective restructuring of the domestic market attends the internal requirements that the market demands", according to Conte.

As you can imagine, both the mayor and the regional government have expressed their concern and worry over this decision.

----- That was my domestic translation of the article posted in El Mundo newspaper.

To be honest, I do not understand a thing with IB!! Which the hell is their core business??? just watching the cash flowing in??

As a regular customer of IB (I am a Sapphire FF card holder) I am eager to understand what they are planning. For instance:

1) IB is launching a new LLC which will operate out of BCN. After the impact that Vueling has had over the IB operations, and the better service quality of most European carriers out of BCN, I am not surprised they are on a loss. In my humble opinion, they need to focus on improving their overall service before taking decisions that will oblige travellers to connect via MAD when they want to fly out of BCN with IB. Vueling is a good alternative AND GROWING, so there is obviously a demand.

2) As commented many times in the forum: isn’t IB already operating like a LCC in Europe? If it wasn’t for the FFP miles, many travellers (myself for instance) would nearly always consider a different alternative to IB. For instance, their not even cheap.

3) Regarding long-haul, I am not surprised they want to concentrate in this market (more to Latin America, I guess) as they must be profitable. Just look at the catering; the worst –and meanest- of all oneworld members (obviously, I am talking about economy, because their Business Plus is great, but you have to ask for a bank loan to pay for it).

4) Not long ago, there was an Iberia press release that mentioned that executive travellers preferred IB to all other Spanish carriers. Well, I would love to know what all Barcelona executives have to say about the latest IB decisions.

Can someone tell Mr Conte that there ARE business strategies focussed on excellence and sustained profitability that do not always mean cutting every single corner, but concentrating on SERVICE and customer loyalty!

Sorry if I seem a bit upset –to say the least- but I just cannot workout to understand what goes in through the minds of IB management.

EUROBUS from sunny Spain!
Who says airports are boring places?!

A342

RE: IB Planning To Drop Most BCN Operations!

Wed May 31, 2006 4:45 am

MUC has already been dropped, however DE has entered the market.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

Humberside

Wed May 31, 2006 6:22 am

I doubt they would drop LHR-BCN, or give the route to any new LCC airline. Surely they must make money on this route
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

gkirk

Wed May 31, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 2):
I doubt they would drop LHR-BCN, or give the route to any new LCC airline. Surely they must make money on this route

Considering the competition from:
BA
BD(?)
JKK(?)
UX(?)
ZB
EZY
FR

It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

mainMAN

Wed May 31, 2006 6:31 am

Possibly not, if you look at the massive growth of LCC services not only to BCN but also Gerona and Reus. However, the article does refer to a 'majority' of routes.

This situation seems very similar to BA's position in the UK, where full service operations will be confined to just one hub (and not BHX or MAN)

skyone

Wed May 31, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting EUROBUS (Thread starter):
To be honest, I do not understand a thing with IB!! Which the hell is their core business??? just watching the cash flowing in??

Finally, a great strategy considering the competition. IB is a hub and spoke airline and that is their core business (conecting people through a hub) and not working point to point unless it is profitable. The good thing is that Mr. Conte knows that and is working to correct it. I really don´t know why people thing IB has to keep unprofitable routes like it did when it belonged to the government. I think the plan director is a great plan and the only thing I do not like is the idea of them creating a LCC. But well, hope the best to IB as I now live in Madrid and believe it or not I haven´t use them yet on point to point flights, but will be using IB on an AA ticket to get to Paris and conect to AA to fly to the USA. Looks like I use Vueling or Spanair (as they have been cheaper) for point to point and IB as a hub and spoke. Well, just my opinion and my 2 cents on this one.

Humberside

Wed May 31, 2006 6:50 am

I just seems to me LHR-BCN is a core route for them out off BCN. there are connecting oppurtunities with oneworld partners at LHR and I guess there must be some business demand

It certainly seems pretty drastic what IB plan to do at BCN. Could their new low cost airline consider routes like BCN-MAN, BCN-BHX and BCN-EDI?

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):
BA
BD(?)
JKK(?)
UX(?)
ZB
EZY
FR

I think ZB only fly MAN-BCN. UX/JKK and BD dont fly between LON and BCN, at least not on a scheduled basis

lazyshaun

Wed May 31, 2006 6:58 am

I doubt they would drop LHR-BCN, or give the route to any new LCC airline.

I highly doubt this too, as LCC are not allowed to fly into LHR, I heard somewhere.

I understand your shock, but if it isn't making them money, why keep it? They are a business...
I came. I saw. I conquered

Humberside

Wed May 31, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting Lazyshaun (Reply 7):
I highly doubt this too, as LCC are not allowed to fly into LHR, I heard somewhere.

Getting off topic now but Virgin Express used to serve LHR as part of a deal with Sabena. Aer Lingus, who are going in the LCC direction serve LHR. I dont think their's any rule stopping LCC's serving LHR, but probably the airport would rather have more traditional, higher revenue generating traditional airlines

lazyshaun

Wed May 31, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 8):
Getting off topic now but Virgin Express used to serve LHR as part of a deal with Sabena. Aer Lingus, who are going in the LCC direction serve LHR. I dont think their's any rule stopping LCC's serving LHR, but probably the airport would rather have more traditional, higher revenue generating traditional airlines

Thats probably more accurate. It must have some kind of rule though, otherwise EZY and FR would be making it home sweet home by now.
I doubt BAA or whoever will be able to do much about Shamrocks Lowco ambitions, nor BMI's slow slide into low fares, however.
I came. I saw. I conquered

AlitaliaMD11

Wed May 31, 2006 7:20 am

Isn't the new terminal that is being built meant for Iberia?
No Vueling No Party

PavlovsDog

Wed May 31, 2006 6:12 pm

I think this is a sound strategic move by Iberia. If they're not making money in BCN it makes more sense to concentrate on milking their MAD operations for what they can. They can let the blood bath continue in BCN and watch their competitors loose money or break even. When someone emerges as a clear winner IB will have so much money in the bank they should be able to buy the victor for a heck of a lot less money than it would cost them to stay in the fight.

TriStar500

Wed May 31, 2006 6:54 pm

IMO Iberia should consider a three-tier concept very similar to LH's one here in Germany:

- IB Mainline as hub-feeder and for the air bridge to MAD as well as some high-volume routes with good revenue potential (if there are any left)
- IB Regional on low-volume tangential routes with good average yields, bypassing the MAD hub
- IB Lowcost for high-volume routes with low yields, bypassing the hub at MAD
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

richardw

Wed May 31, 2006 7:00 pm

Would they cancel the BCN-BIO-LHR-LCG-LHR-BIO-BCN daily service? or would it become low cost?

levent

Wed May 31, 2006 7:17 pm

I wonder whether this would also affect the flights operated by Air Nostrum out of BCN. Personally, I always preferred using BCN as transfer airport rather than MAD, although I have never been to the new Terminal at Barajas.

JJJ

Wed May 31, 2006 7:19 pm

IB BCN-LHR, as well as VLC-LHR and surely others will still be kept, as they are feeding BA network.

Anyway, IB dropping routes in BCN means, for once, paving the way for the new IB loco, but also leaves room for Air Nostrum to operate some routes, too.

I really see Air Nostrum going the way of PGA-Portugalia operating European routes with very high quality standards on regional aircraft.

J.

richardw

Wed May 31, 2006 7:52 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 15):
I really see Air Nostrum going the way of PGA-Portugalia operating European routes with very high quality standards on regional aircraft.

I think their MAH-LGW route might already qualify.

JJJ

Wed May 31, 2006 8:08 pm

Quoting Richardw (Reply 16):
I think their MAH-LGW route might already qualify

Now that I think about it, they recently opened a VLC-LIS (CRJ-200) to counter Portugalia on the same route. I am sure they are also operating flights to LIS from other Spanish cities (BIO? SVQ?)

J.

EUROBUS
Topic Author

Wed May 31, 2006 8:27 pm

Hi all!

Interesting points of view, but as a flag carrier, doesn't IB have any additional commitment to serve the second largest airport in Spain, over and above straight forward profitability reasons? I mean, if others are eating the cake, surely IB has done something wrong during the past. This is what I meant to express at the beginning, because just look at the BCN airports growth!

Some of you have refered to a similar situation in the UK. I don't know enough to form a personal opinion, as I only fly to London -either LHR or LGW- but comparing with other countries, like Germany (with FRA and MUC) or Italy with Rome FIO and Milan Malpensa, isn´t logical that IB should pay special attention to both MAD and BCN?

Humberside

Wed May 31, 2006 9:10 pm

Quoting Richardw (Reply 13):
Would they cancel the BCN-BIO-LHR-LCG-LHR-BIO-BCN daily service? or would it become low cost?

IB could always make it MAD-BIO-LHR-LCG-LHR-BIO-MAD if BCN (expect MAD) flights go low cost

Quoting Levent (Reply 14):
I wonder whether this would also affect the flights operated by Air Nostrum out of BCN.

I would have thought so. Some routes might go to a new LCC and Air Nostrum might take over some existing IB mainline routes

IberiaA319

Wed May 31, 2006 9:46 pm

Quoting EUROBUS (Reply 18):
doesn't IB have any additional commitment to serve the second largest airport in Spain, over and above straight forward profitability reasons?

No, answer in the threadstarter:

The 'director plan' (strategy plan) for the 2006-2008 period concentrates on a reorganization of its operations focusing on profitability

Anyway, there are soo many new carriers and LCCs in BCN, no wonder Iberia has to reorganize their operations there, especially with IB's new LCC airline.

LCCs (and others) in BCN:

Air Baltic, Air Berlin, Air Finland, Air Madrid, Alpieeagles, Easyjet, Evolavia, Fly Nordic, German Wings, German Express, Globespan, Helvetic Airways, Jet2, Sterling, My Air, My Travel lite, Thomsonfly, Transavia...... and Vueling (of course  Wink )

Airports not that far away from Barcelona are also (little) competitors with LCCs:

Reus (Blue Air, First Choice, Jet Only, Ryanair, Transavia)....and Girona (Central Wings, First Choice, Jet Only, Transavia, Wizz air, Air Scotland, Ryanair)

JJJ

Wed May 31, 2006 10:27 pm

Quoting EUROBUS (Reply 18):
Interesting points of view, but as a flag carrier, doesn't IB have any additional commitment to serve the second largest airport in Spain, over and above straight forward profitability reasons?

In short, no.

IB has some legal commitment on routes to the islands and Melilla, but not for BCN.

Few carriers can currently afford dual hubs and worldwide coverage, so IB is now making the wise choice of putting most eggs where they're strong (big MAD hub, latin america) *and* fight the lowcosts in Barcelona on their own turf.

Also, some routes will be kept on IB mainline service for sure (LHR to feed BA, ORY, FRA, and other high-demand routes).

J.

airbazar

Wed May 31, 2006 11:35 pm

To me the real question is not whether IB should leave BCN if it's not profitable for them but rather, why the largest airline in Spain cannot operate profitably out of an airport that sees 27 million passengers per year. Sounds like missmanagement is the real reason they will be reducing ops at BCN.

OB1504

Wed May 31, 2006 11:53 pm

Quoting Lazyshaun (Reply 9):
It must have some kind of rule though, otherwise EZY and FR would be making it home sweet home by now.

I'm guessing it could have something to do with costs and possible delays, similar to why WN doesn't serve some airports like JFK in the United States.

JJJ

Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:41 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 22):
To me the real question is not whether IB should leave BCN if it's not profitable for them but rather, why the largest airline in Spain cannot operate profitably out of an airport that sees 27 million passengers per year. Sounds like missmanagement is the real reason they will be reducing ops at BCN.

The MAD-BCN shuttle is one of IB cash cows, it's just some international flights that will be cut back in BCN.

Of course IB is to blame here but the current management has to deal with the current situation and keeping routes out of prestige is a recipe for bankruptcy.

J.

RAFVC10

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:17 am

What a great mistake. Iberia hasn't thought about the tragic consequences that this decision will carry.

Barcelona is the second largest hub of the spanish airline and it's not true that flights with origin in BCN were a problem or have little loads.

As example: BCN-ORY flights of 07:25 and 09:35 hours are always fully booked in economy class; BCN-FCO and MXP are, too, fully booked.

The bad decisions of the spanish airline were try to compete with AF in flights to CDG, to compete with JK/SK to CPH and ARN, to compete with NI/TP to LIS,...

Very, very sad to not see more 752's, 321's,...
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

drinkstrolley

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:36 am

They dropped LHR-AGP, I would have thought that was one of the most busiest routes!!

Humberside

Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting Drinkstrolley (Reply 26):
They dropped LHR-AGP, I would have thought that was one of the most busiest routes!!

I guess yields were bad due to the intense LCC routes there. And BA (through GB Airways) could still provide an LHR service to Malaga which IB can codeshare on. You could argue the same could be done at BCN but BCN is a much bigger market and I would have thought it could support both IB and BA to LHR

BCNGRO

Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:32 am

I think IB is being too brave here. They are putting all their money in MAD and that is a risky move... From now on their financial situation will denpend only on MAD.

In a couple of years the BCN-MAD "Puente aereo" will (hopefully) be gone with the new high speed rail link and IB will lose one of their biggest money makers. What will be left then? South America? Are they planning to focus only on that destination? That doesn't seem serious to me.

[Edited 2006-05-31 23:33:45]
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

Horus

Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:23 am

What would happen to their 3x weekly MAD-BCN-CAI-BCN-MAD A320 flights? They also operate 2x weekly MAD-CAI-MAD A319 flights.

Horus
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

EUROBUS
Topic Author

Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:32 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 22):

As we say here in Spain, you could say it louder, but not clearer!

Quoting BCNGRO (Reply 28):
I think IB is being too brave here. They are putting all their money in MAD and that is a risky move... From now on their financial situation will denpend only on MAD.

In a couple of years the BCN-MAD "Puente aereo" will (hopefully) be gone with the new high speed rail link and IB will lose one of their biggest money makers.

Maybe become the number1 long-haul LCC?  bored 

richardw

Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:51 pm

I was at BCN at the weekend, there is development between Terminals A and B, they've altered the escalators to the bridge to the train station, Terminal A extension and tower cranes around the control tower building something. I just don't see how IB can't make money out of this airport.

vatry

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:17 pm

Ryanair and Eazy don't operate out of Heathrow for the following reasons. The airport is running at close to full capacity. As a result of this the airport is slot constrained and good slots cost millions(if you can find someone willing to sell them). Due to congestion the airport is not suitable for fast turnarounds. Landing fees are expensive compared to surrounding airports. Ryan and Eazy already operate bases from Gatwick, Stansted and Luton, so Heathrow would give them very little reward for lots of trouble and expense.

The only airlines I'm aware of who currently cannot operate from Heathrow
are US airlines who are not covered in Bermuda II. This would include Delta, Northwest, Continental and US.

bullpitt

Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:21 pm

Hi all, First of all BCNGRO I doubt very much the Puente Aereo will disapear en the near future, SVQ has had the AVE since 1992 and IB still operate about five flights each way per day. Many business man will still prefer to fly as so will those that connect in MAD to other flights. That market is large enough for both and if any companies should be worriying about how the AVE will afect them is the other operators who have much more to loose.

IB is NOT a flag company (No such thing in Europe now) we have to answer only to our shareholders and if the Catalan Government doesn´t like it they can start opening their pockets. We have a saying here in Spain " He who sows winds reaps storms" The Catalan government have been giving LCC subsidies so now they can´t complain when all they will have left in BCN and other APT´s are LCC.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

JJJ

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:31 pm

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 33):
IB is NOT a flag company (No such thing in Europe now) we have to answer only to our shareholders and if the Catalan Government doesn´t like it they can start opening their pockets. We have a saying here in Spain " He who sows winds reaps storms" The Catalan government have been giving LCC subsidies so now they can´t complain when all they will have left in BCN and other APT´s are LCC.

I doubt anyone at the Catalan government will care for this, it's BCN loyal IB flyers who will be annoyed once routes start closing.

IMHO, they're making a lot of fuss about nothing, IB international route map from BCN is pretty weak, so most people are used to connecting anyway, be it via MAD, CDG or FRA.

SunCEO

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:50 am

I have to say that the MAD-SVQ route has been dwindling though, most times its more expensive and now with all the hassle of public transport to T4 many people are considering the AVE which practically leaves the centre of madrid, Atocha.

The Barcelona AVE line will impact on the puente aereo business no doubt... with significant cutbacks and a fall in revenue.

Personally I think this is a silly move by Iberia, whilst Lufthansa gave some routes to Germanwings they maintained a significant number of bases... surrendering international routes from say Valencia or Malaga would have made more sense!

Is it tru the new company will be named "Cat Air"? I really find that ridiculous... considering the current political climate with Catalunya! Not to mention mix ups with Qatar etc. when pronounced in Spanish!

skyone

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting BCNGRO (Reply 28):
In a couple of years the BCN-MAD "Puente aereo" will (hopefully) be gone with the new high speed rail link and IB will lose one of their biggest money makers. What will be left then? South America? Are they planning to focus only on that destination? That doesn't seem serious to me.

Ohh no, you forgot Northamerica including MEX, JFK, ORD and MIA. And yes, that is how a hub and spoke airline works, by conecting people through its hub airport and not only people from Spain, also from Italy, France, Germany, England, etc to America as a whole continent. And by the way, amazing and beautiful hub Iberia has in the T4.

Hi all, First of all BCNGRO I doubt very much the Puente Aereo will disapear en the near future, SVQ has had the AVE since 1992 and IB still operate about five flights each way per day.

I suport you with this one, as Eurostar didn´t finish with the flights between London and Paris. Flying will still be a great way of going to BCN from MAD as prices with the AVE are also not cheap.

Cure

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:21 am

I did not read the entire thread until now, but it's very sad to watch IB slowly loosing great part of their status of "global airline"...

TimRees

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:14 am

LHR-AGP and LHR-VLC have been dropped.
The Santiago de Compostella flight now operates to La Coruna. Can anyone tell me why this change was made? I know the airports are relatively close together but I'd have thought Santiago had a bigger (tourist) market at least?

Fermarta

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:33 am

Quoting TimRees (Reply 38):
LHR-AGP and LHR-VLC have been dropped

The VLC flight was dropped only for a few weeks. IB is now operating this route again.

Can anyone tell me why this change was made?

IB said that subsidies offered to Ryanair in SCQ made the route unprofitable.

Out of topic, but Iberia A343 EC-HDQ will be in SCQ in a few hours. It is ferrying back to MAD from ORD.

[Edited 2006-06-02 01:39:56]
Otros vendrán que bueno te harán

BCNGRO

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:45 am

The Catalan government have been giving LCC subsidies so now they can´t complain when all they will have left in BCN and other APT´s are LCC.

This has been discussed a thousand times before and you know that's not the issue. Most European flag carriers (ex-flag carriers, if you want) fly to BCN and most routes are very profitable dispite the LCCs. The real issue, if you want to know, is that IB has been given (at a very bargain price, of course) this new terminal at MAD which we all paid for (and which, by the way, costed several times BCN's budget for many years). Meanwhile, BCN has to struggle to be up there with less than 1/3 MAD's budget and still is ranked much higher than MAD in user-friendliness and other aspects in recent surveys. Oh, and everytime we ask to manage the airport by our own were are told no way. That's the joy of living in Spain!

Spain = Madrid, that's the way it works.

[Edited 2006-06-02 01:47:24]
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

JJJ

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:22 pm

The Santiago de Compostella flight now operates to La Coruna. Can anyone tell me why this change was made? I know the airports are relatively close together but I'd have thought Santiago had a bigger (tourist) market at least?

La Coruña is a more business-oriented destination. Perhaps they will eventually add Santiago again on a seasonal route.

richardw

Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:54 pm

FR started STN-SCQ so IB moved LHR-SCQ to LCG.

IBERIA747

Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:09 am

Quoting BCNGRO (Reply 40):
Meanwhile, BCN has to struggle to be up there with less than 1/3 MAD's budget

Erm...what is that big thing being built at BCN then?..oh it must have been a dream then.

new terminal at MAD which we all paid for

Ohh yes! it was a dream about a new terminal being built at BCN, and guess what? we all paid for it too!. In the dream the new terminal had a floor area of 500,000m2, which is bigger then MAD's T4 in case you didn't know.

That's the joy of living in Spain!

Moving to France then?

Spain = Madrid, that's the way it works.

No tío...esa es la forma en que vosotros lo queréis hacer ver. And this coming form a person who has MANY Catalan friends and has NOTHING against Cataluña. After all, it's as Spanish as Extremadura, Andalucía, Cantabria, Madrid or Aragón (which is where I was born btw) and millions of people think the same way.

Quoting Fermarta (Reply 39):
Iberia A343 EC-HDQ will be in SCQ in a few hours. It is ferrying back to MAD from ORD.

Wow what happened to it?

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 25):
Very, very sad to not see more 752's, 321's,...

Don't worry. You will still see them flying the Puente Aéreo route.

Besides, remember that Iberia is not withdrawing from El Prat. Yes, they will drastically reduce their operations there but they are staying.

There's only one thing that has not been discussed (or maybe I didn't pay attention). Is Iberia thinking that the slots they will stop using will be automatically granted to the new LCC?...because if they think that then I guess they could crash against a wall. In fact, there are several airlines already saying that they will flight for those slots.

I just cannot workout to understand what goes in through the minds of IB management.

God!...don't get me started!! I could spend hours if I had to say what I think about IB's management. And not just because of this, but for the way they have been doing things in the last years.

I don't work for Iberia or for any other airline and of course, I won't be afected in any way if they were bankrupt one day. However I feel deeply unsatisfied and angry when I see the way one of Spain's most internationally recognized companies is being managed by the guys at "Velázquez 130", letting their personal interests prevail and not willing to quit their privileges while making their staff and passengers pay for it.

I just hope they will find new destinations/frequencies in order to keep all those aircraft that they will withdraw from BCN flying. In case they don't, then it will be "another brick in the wall".

I know there are lots of nice, responsible, hard-working people working for Iberia, and it would be really sad to see them having a hard time as a consequence of the company's horrible management.

[Edited 2006-06-02 17:38:05]
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

dme

Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:19 am

Dear all,

According to the last news, (see http://blogs.periodistadigital.com/aviaciondigital.php, in Spanish), Iberia will reduce about 17% of its routes, not only from Barcelona, but for the whole of Spain, as well as it has requested 7000 slots for its new LCC, "CatAir".

Now my personal opinion.

As it is already known, Iberia is a completely private company, so that Iberia can do whatever it wants to do, the only thing is that its shareholders must see the company to go up in the stock exchange. If Iberia goes bankrupt, the only thing I fear is for the many good people which works in Iberia, no more than that (I have no shares; perhaps I should, they have increased today).

As it is already known, Spain has many private airline companies, it is a battle field for many airlines, and only the future will say which is the winner or the winners, as well as the loser or losers. As a Spanish citizen living in Spain I want a good and affordable service, served by either Iberia, Spanair, Air Europa, Air Berlin, Easyjet, BMI, whatever it is. I do not mind if the plane is Boeing or Airbus, or if the pilots speak in Russian, Chinese or even Catalan between them (of course, English or Spanish with the controllers!), or if the LCC is named "CatAir" (or I should ask for a "MurAir" because I live in Murcia). The problem is that many people which lives in our country thinks that the most important part of the world is his/her house and 100m away, no more. Quoting BcnGro, Spain is not Madrid, Spain is Spain, the problem is the (some) people which always think the world are revolving about them. Or people from Murcia, Andalucia, Galicia, etc. should demand (and obtain) the High Speed Train, the Motorways, the Airports, the many Services that Catalonia have now and others do not. I try to be always the most objective thinking person, but it is difficult to be objective in these times. Sorry, I have not intended to offend to anyboder out there, I have tried to express my own opinion.

My best regards,
Dme.

CRJ900

Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:27 am

Now that IB Regional Air Nostrum officially has 8 more CRJ900 on order, perhaps these aircraft will be used on BCN services...? 86 seats ought to be easier to fill than 149...
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

skyteam2000

Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:26 am

It is seems that IBERIA partners are not agree with Fernando Conte IB CEO, decition to leave BCN.
El Corte Ingles, BBVA,Caja Madrid and BA are not going to accept this decition.
Now it is time to wait and see what will happen. BA has a good experience with LLC ( go ). Let´s see what happen next week...

BCNGRO

Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:45 am

Quoting Skyteam2000 (Reply 46):
It is seems that IBERIA partners are not agree with Fernando Conte IB CEO, decition to leave BCN.
Now it is time to wait and see what will happen.

Interesting news indeed! Let's see what happens next.

Quoting Dme (Reply 44):
Or people from Murcia, Andalucia, Galicia, etc. should demand (and obtain) the High Speed Train, the Motorways, the Airports, the many Services that Catalonia have now and others do not.

High speed train: links Seville and Madrid since 15 ago. Barcelona is still wainting...
Motorways: Do you know where the vast majority of TOLLways are? Right! In Catalonia.
Airports: I didn't know the rest of Spain had no airports...

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 43):
Moving to France then?

No, personally I prefer taking Montenegro's way, thanks.

IBERIA747

Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting BCNGRO (Reply 47):
No, personally I prefer taking Montenegro's way, thanks.

You'll be welcome in Montenegro then!!
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

RAFVC10

Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting Skyteam2000 (Reply 46):
Now it is time to wait and see what will happen. BA has a good experience with LLC ( go ). Let´s see what happen next week...

Oneworld alliance don't want to leave routes as ROM, MIL, FRA, PAR, LON,... in hands of other airlines.

I'm working for one of the future partners of the new LCC that Iberia will create this year.

The conglomerate Agrolimen or Quercus Inversiones will have a 20% of the share in this new airline.

Quoting Dme (Reply 44):
it has requested 7000 slots for its new LCC, "CatAir".

As I listen Iberia will leave BCN but not all. Many of first 320's are understood to join the new airline, called "Mediterrania" until new aircraft will join the fleet in the future.

As a regular customer of IB (I am a Sapphire FF card holder) I am eager to understand what they are planning.

Many days I have to myself the same question: what will happen with the Club Fiesta members as me???
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!