LUVRSW

United (Skywest)Plane Skids Off Runway At CWA

Wed May 31, 2006 7:08 am

LUVRSW

RE: United (Skywest)Plane Skids Off Runway At CWA

Wed May 31, 2006 7:10 am

This flight, my guess
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SKW6979

Very bad weather at CWA right now....local phone report says it's buried up to the wings in mud...no injurys

as739x

Wed May 31, 2006 5:04 pm

In the first article the guy says the plane was coming in hot! Possible, also possible that with the weird angle of approach the CRJ makes, it may have appeared they were diving for the runway, when in fact all may have been normal. Just my 2 cents since the CRJ looks awkward to some when landing.

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

centrair

Wed May 31, 2006 5:25 pm

Wow! CWA! My hometown airport! This must be one the few times that CWA has been mentioned in the title of an A.net thread.

Glad everyone was safe. The picture wouldn't come up on my browser. Could someone link it?
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

tjwgrr

Wed May 31, 2006 9:05 pm

Let's try this- really sunk in the mud....

Story:
http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/app...531/WDH0101/605310509/1581/WDHnews

[Edited 2006-05-31 14:06:59]
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

centrair

Wed May 31, 2006 9:59 pm

Quoting Tjwgrr (Reply 5):
Let's try this- really sunk in the mud....

So the landing gear was down and the plane just went off the runway and into mud.
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

SkyexRamper

Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:18 am

Quoting Centrair (Reply 6):
So the landing gear was down and the plane just went off the runway and into mud.

Yes, it rolled right off the end of the runway.

I've flown myself into CWA and can say that it is a nice airport if you have to have an overrun as there is nothing but fields that surround the airport.

Quoting AS739X (Reply 3):
Possible, also possible that with the weird angle of approach the CRJ makes, it may have appeared they were diving for the runway, when in fact all may have been normal.

With the nose down attitude and rounding out into a flare can cause the airplane to float if there is excess speed when the airplane crosses the numbers. I see CRJ-200s float all the time and this could have played into the overrun. A wet runway and touching down farther down the runway than you wanted to is never good.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

as739x

Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:24 am

Skyexramper: I understand, I fly planes myself and understand floating. All I was saying is the to the untrained eye, a CRJ of all planes always looks like its diving for the runway. I'm not saying it wasn't fast, I just hate when some Joe off the street see's something and some how knows what happened.

But all are well and OO moves on. They are a hell of a safe airline.

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

apodino

Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:00 am

I saw several pics of this at work. Its stuck pretty deep in the mud. And it didn't over shoot by a few feet, it is at least a good 500 feet past the end of the runway. The airport should feel lucky that 8-26 wasn't blocked off.

All in all, not a good week for the regionals. You had this CRJ off the runway in CWA, the Republic 170 nose gear collapse in IAD, and the Air Wisconsin CRJ APU fire in PHL last week that shut that airport down for an hour.

You wonder when the public is going to stop flying anyone but mainline. Props used to be a scapegoat. Not anymore with the advent of regional jets, but I think the public still views them as regionals, and might want the added comfort of a mainline jet.

SkyexRamper

Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting LUVRSW (Reply 10):
http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/app...D=/20060601/WDH0101/606010542/1981

"The incident did not delay any planes from departing or landing at the airport, Yaron said."

HEHE...yeah cause the plane was 200yrds from the runway. I wonder how the tow job was or will be. Don't forget the wingwalkers, you might hit a cow.
 Wink
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

Goldenshield

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:22 am

It was only 200 yards, but it was also in the ILS critical area for 35.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

LUVRSW

Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:12 pm

F9Animal

Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:27 pm

Quoting Apodino (Reply 9):
You wonder when the public is going to stop flying anyone but mainline. Props used to be a scapegoat. Not anymore with the advent of regional jets, but I think the public still views them as regionals, and might want the added comfort of a mainline jet.

Granted the regional jet is smaller, it has the feel of a mainline. How many airlines are going to regional jets for mainline flying? B6 would be a good example of it. Also Independence, as they had an excellent record while flying. The last few incidents were the fault of mechanical. This incident is not known yet. Who knows, the brakes could have been an issue.

I will fly a regional jet anyday.

BTW- I watched the video, and the reaction of the passengers flying out was funny. Big news day for CWS. Imagine if it was a serious problem. LOL!

Glad everyone was okay. Rainstorm? Gosh, it could have been a few things that occured. Guess the pilots have the best answers for that.

[Edited 2006-06-03 06:33:08]
I Am A Different Animal!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos