zippyjet

Lockheed Electra Lounge Question?

Wed May 31, 2006 11:56 am

CF-CPI From Canada, joined Nov 2000, 459 posts, RR: 0
Posted Tue May 30 2006 12:42:16 UTC+2 and read 286 times: thread on the Convair 880 got me to thinking:

Were the passenger lounges that were in the aft section of the Lockheed Electra windows different from those of the main cabins? Were they smaller and, did they have pull down shades like the more modern pure jets? However, I remember flying on a National Airlines Electra when I was 5 and the passenger windows were big with curtains like other prop liners of the day. Being a wee lad of 5 sadly, I did not to check out those passenger lounges.  crying 
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

DeltaMIA

RE: Lockheed Electra Lounge Question?

Wed May 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Quoting Zippyjet (Thread starter):
However, I remember flying on a National Airlines Electra when I was 5 and the passenger windows were big with curtains like other prop liners of the day. Being a wee lad of 5 sadly, I did not to check out those passenger lounges.

I have no first hand experience of the Electra's, but I have realized that things sometimes only seemed bigger as a kid only to realize it was only that way because I was smaller.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

antares

Wed May 31, 2006 1:49 pm

Zippyjet,

I don't remember any pull down blinds in the Ansett-ANA, TAA or TEAL or Qantas Electra 'lounges'. They weren't lounges. A sort of semi-circular arrangement, as noisy as all hell, small, and not good if everyone stretched their legs at the same time. The windows were very tiny, but I can't remember trying to look out of them. First class was at the back in the manner of the prop jets and piston engined aircraft of the time, and then only after the introduction of economy seating sometime i think in the mid-50s. There was less noise at the rear.

The main windows were large with rounded egdes and I think there were curtains although I may be remembering the Vickers Viscounts on domestic routes and the DC8s of TEAL which became Air New zealand as they did have curtains while the competing 707s had sliding shades... an incredibly daring touch too.

If the words 'minimalstic chic' had been invented by some wanker then (instead of the 80s) the shock of sitting beside the bare naked 707 window frames would have been worthy of the phrase.

Antares

crownvic

Wed May 31, 2006 2:49 pm

The last Electra I flew on actually had window shades. In the back lounge, I believe the windows were the same size, but they were located slightly closer together in this area.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos