airbus3801

VoIP On A/C, Would It Work

Wed May 31, 2006 12:38 pm

With the concerns of of cell phones and wireless electronics on board an A/C, with a service such as Conexion by Boeing or using the phones as an internet access point, would VoIP pose any threat to communications? If it doesn't, wouldn't the F/A's probably not know what it is and ask you to turn in off anyway. If it is possible with something like Conexion, I am sure airlines wouldn't want you getting around their expensive phone services...

planemannyc

RE: VoIP On A/C, Would It Work

Wed May 31, 2006 12:40 pm

I can't recall exactly, but I think I read it in a magazine (Business Traveler?) about someone using VoIP and it working very well. I will post a link if I find it.

Best,

Wasim / Planemannyc

wdleiser

Wed May 31, 2006 12:43 pm

I dont care if it works and doesnt interupt service, people talking on phones on a plane are still going to piss mee off and the majority of the passengers off too.

N328KF

Wed May 31, 2006 1:21 pm

From a technical standpoint, the main problem is latency. I'm not talking about bandwidth (how much data can be pushed through in a given time period) here. Latency == response time, or the time it takes for interactive data to make a round trip (an example being ping time). For instance, streaming video is highly dependent upon bandwidth but not so much on latency. Web surfing is moderately dependent upon bandwidth and moderately dependent on latency. Voice doesn't require much bandwidth at all (using H.323 or SIP) but because it's real time, needs low (fast) latency. Any time your aircraft broadband goes through satellite, or even multiple terrestrial hops, latency can be an issue.

[Edited 2006-05-31 06:26:56]
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

Go3Team

Wed May 31, 2006 2:07 pm

I used a program called Paltalk on an SK flight last week. It is a webcam/voice chat program. It did pretty well with the limited bandwidth. It took a little while for the people in the room to figure out where I was. It kinda blew their mind.
Yay Pudding!

noelg

Wed May 31, 2006 4:13 pm

You can use Skype with a webcam if your aircraft has Connexion on it.

I don't think it will piss people off - do you hear people complaining about other passengers talking in flight? You can't hear them above the engines normally anyway.

I would however object to cell phones ringing in flight - that noise would drive me up the wall!

ctrl_alt_del

Wed May 31, 2006 4:31 pm

I've used skype out on an LH flight to and from Japan with a laptop and headset, latency was not an issue. Our flight was running late and I called home to let them know. With a headset you don't shout and the call is made at low volume levels, only the person next to you would know you are calling. As long as it is used with consideration for other pasengers there's no problem. The other question is do the next generation cell phones, which are WLAN compatible, work with Connexion?

zvezda

Wed May 31, 2006 7:48 pm

I've used both Skype and Vonage over Connexion. I was in Business and First classes and didn't need to raise my voice to be heard. There was no indication that any other passenger could even hear me, let alone be annoyed -- except one teenager sitting next to me whose comment was "totally cool!"

Latency was quite noticable -- about 2 to 3 seconds return trip. It was useful to say "Over" at the end of each transmission, though not essential.

TheSunseeker

Wed May 31, 2006 10:48 pm

The teenager next to you in Business or First is more irritating to some passengers than someone using the Internet on board to make phonecalls  Smile

I cant wait to try skype at 35000ft...
RSA: Dont drink and drive - take the train and get mugged

PhilSquares

Wed May 31, 2006 11:20 pm

I have used SKYPE a number of times on SQ LHR-SIN/SIN-LHR. Works great. I didn't notice any latency problems at all.
Fly fast, live slow

airbus3801

Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:07 am

Sounds very interesting and I think could become the next big thing with travellers once more people discover onboard internet and VoIp. I don't think the voices would bother me at all because it would be just like someone talking to someone else on the plane except without the other person, which would be in fact quieter than a conversation on the plane.

Revelation

Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:23 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 3):
Voice doesn't require much bandwidth at all (using H.323 or SIP) but because it's real time, needs low (fast) latency.

I agree about the low latency, but the requirement for low latency comes from the codec used (e.g. G.729a, etc) as opposed to the call control protocol used (e.g. H.323, SIP, MGCP, H.248, et al).

I'm glad to hear that the airlines are not using filtering to block VoIP calls.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

upsmd11

Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:15 am

Quoting TheSunseeker (Reply 8):
The teenager next to you in Business or First is more irritating to some passengers than someone using the Internet on board to make phonecalls Smile

I cant wait to try skype at 35000ft...

If this was my teenager I would hope you'd be thrilled that there are such nice, enlightened and polite young adults out there. Your comment was not thoughtful nor considerate that there are just as many irritating adults on aircraft in First and Business Class.

mlsrar

Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 11):

I agree about the low latency, but the requirement for low latency comes from the codec used (e.g. G.729a, etc) as opposed to the call control protocol used (e.g. H.323, SIP, MGCP, H.248, et al).

I don't see why you would want to use 729. Bandwidth is not an issue in the case of Connexion, so 711 would be fine. As long as the latency is under 150ms, you should not notice a degradation in voice quality.

(Just got back from my CVoice class last week!)
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson