thegreatchecko

The Press And Their Picture Antics

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:21 am

Is that a screenshot from Microshaft flight simulator?

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=55397

HAHAHAHA

I can deal with wrong planes and bad reporting, but damn, if its true, this is just lazy!

GreatChecko

[Edited 2006-06-01 01:27:16]
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

airwave

RE: The Press And Their Picture Antics

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:24 am

Quoting TheGreatChecko (Thread starter):
Is that a screenshot from Microshaft flight simulator?

Sure as heck looks like it. I wouldn't be too surprised if one of the web editors has MSFS installed on one of the office computers and just grabbed a screenshot rather than try and find a press file photo.  Silly

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

ATLFlyer323

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:45 am

WOW I love the fact they show a 747 (Which Delta has not had in some time) and the old widget scheme (Which I still love). Funny photo, thanks for sharing!

~Brandon
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

DL WIDGET HEAD

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting ATLFlyer323 (Reply 2):
WOW I love the fact they show a 747 (Which Delta has not had in some time) and the old widget scheme (Which I still love).

It looks like a 747-300 or 400; a plane DL never had! But, I agree, the widget scheme does look great.

levent

Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:20 pm

That's a classic! Never seen this one before. I just dropped them an email with the question: "How many people do you think will see that the image is not a real photo?" I don't expect any answer though...

ZE701

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:55 pm

To be serious for a minute, these press types using the wrong photos can have some serious ramifications.

About 2 months ago one of the dailies in the UK ran a story about the huge levels of luxury on board the British Royal / Ministerial aircraft, and to illustrate their point they published a photo of (what they thought was) the interior of a royal Bae 146. It was in fact nothing of the sort, being decked out with leather sofas, gold fittings etc. It was more likely to be a private BBJ or something. As I have pointed out on previous threads, the interiors of our aircraft are very basic, more like a small, austere flying office.
Anyway, the upshot of it is that the British public, solely on the basis of this type of reporting and photographs, now believe that the government are enjoying some sort of huge luxury junket at cost to the taxpayer, and I think that come general election time heads will roll.
If this paper had come to us, we would have happilly debunked the myth.

So I fully agree, lazy picture editors really do need to be more careful. There's always someone out there who knows the true facts!

ZE701

PS, was reading a national magazine last week which featured a general photography competition. One of the entries pictured a nudist man on a beach watching an Airbus A310 taxy past. The photographers' accompanying blurb stated that he "thought it was a 747"!! How wrong can you get? Maybe a subscription to A.Net should have been the prize on offer!
Knights of columbus!

KFLLCFII

Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:06 pm

So is this the "file photo" they showed on TV while airing the report?

laughing 
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

airwave

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:06 am

Quoting ZE701 (Reply 5):
Anyway, the upshot of it is that the British public, solely on the basis of this type of reporting and photographs, now believe that the government are enjoying some sort of huge luxury junket at cost to the taxpayer, and I think that come general election time heads will roll.

Not a conspiracy theorist here, but you never know...maybe it was...  eyebrow 

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 6):
So is this the "file photo" they showed on TV while airing the report?

Looks like it. But at least it wasn't "file footage". Now *that* would've been a site.  biggrin 

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:25 am

Quoting ZE701 (Reply 5):
As I have pointed out on previous threads, the interiors of our aircraft are very basic, more like a small, austere flying office.

I don't know, I saw the carpet out of the Royal Flight Bae 146 at Marshall's and it plusher than any aircraft carpet I had ever seen before, or since.

HAM

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:24 pm

the media always get it wrong... recently i saw a report on german tv on the issue of the passenger data decision in the eu. in the short documentation, they were pretending to show a transatlantic flight. their footage showed a lufthansa a320 cockpit, inflight service etc........ i wonder why it is so difficult for them to know what they´re talking about when it comes to aviation.

ZE701

Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:20 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 8):
I don't know, I saw the carpet out of the Royal Flight Bae 146 at Marshall's and it plusher than any aircraft carpet I had ever seen before, or since.

Granted, the carpet is decent quality, and the tables are nice quality wood, but that's it.
The point I was making was that the public (thanks to the press) are under the illusion that the interior is all leather, gold, gian TV screens etc, like some sort of first class lounge.
In reality the seats are basic cloth (although they are fairly large), most fittings are plastic, and there is no entertainment system. Just a satphone and a lamp!
Knights of columbus!

PDXflyer31

Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:31 pm

The press don't really care for accuracy when it comes to matters such as technicalities in aviation, because they know they can get away with it. Its hard for aviation fanatics like us to believe, but the majority of people out there couldn't care less about anything aviation-related, so long as their flight was on time and the in-flight movie was OK (if there was one). I'm sure 99% of the general public who saw that image didn't think twice about it.

joffie

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:05 pm

I was just over at the UA site to view their 747 seatmaps, and i am sure they have a tiny thumbnail of a Flight sim 2004 747
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,3071,00.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos