dellatorre

HNL Flights To Europe.

Sat Jun 17, 2000 12:42 am

I´ve been searching on the web some flights out of HNL. I just notice that there isn´t a flight linking Hawaii to Europe. I think some airlines should start on looking more causiously on this destination.

ContinentalEWR

RE: HNL Flights To Europe.

Sat Jun 17, 2000 1:39 am

United has direct service, via LAX from HNL to London Heathrow.

ContinentalEWR

bigtidi

Sat Jun 17, 2000 3:50 am

Continental also allows you to connect to Europe through Newark. Continental has daily nonstop DC-10-30 service to Newark where you can connect to many europen flights.

ContinentalEWR

Sat Jun 17, 2000 4:11 am

Well, not really. Continental's HNL-Newark flight departs Hawaii in the
late afternoon, arriving Newark mid-morning the following day. You
would have to spend a whole day at Newark to fly out to Europe. The
United schedule is slightly more convenient in that it allows for a
shorter connection time.

Also, flying from Europe through Newark to get to Honolulu is not all
that practical either. The EWR-HNL flight departs at 8:15am. Flights
from Europe start arriving around midday.

dellatorre

Sat Jun 17, 2000 4:20 am

So trully there is no non-stop flight from Hawaii to Europe. I think that carriers should start this services at least on seasonal basis.

LJ

Sat Jun 17, 2000 7:28 am

My question for this subject: Is it possible to fly non-stop Europe - Hawaii? (as Hawaii is almost on the other side of the globe)

Regards
Laurens Janssen

Sat Jun 17, 2000 7:40 am

I think it would be a good idea because the non-stop intra-US flights to Hawaii (at least from Chicago, where I live) are always jam-packed. If a plane couldn't go non-stop, one could connect through Anchorage, Alaska or Los Angeles, California to refuel (United flight ### LHR-HNL with a stop in ANC). They could use it with a 777-200IGW  

Plus, it would have great passenger feed, as Europe really doesn't have a "tropical island paradise" that I know of (I live in a suburb of Chicago, Illinois and United is my hometown airline, GO UA!!!!). All my images of Europe are that the weather is gloomy, cloudy, colder than average (at least northern Europe). And unless Europeans love cold weather (which no sane person does), Hawaii would be a great vacation destination, even though it is VERY far from Europe.

And I'm not saying that Europeans don't go to Hawaii. A few years back, we were in a restaurant on Maui, and there were people from Germany at the table opposite us.

Sat Jun 17, 2000 10:51 am

Use the search function, this topic was discussed a few days ago!

Basically any Europe-Hawaii direct flights in the past have failed due to lack of interest. Hawaii is a LONG way away from us and there are a lot of places closer to home we would rather visit.

Hawaii would be around 16 hours flying time from Europe and require a refuelling stop in Anchorage. Why bother when Florida, the Caribbean, South America, the Canaries, Africa, India, the Maldives and the Far East are all within nonstop range of Europe.

You may say why are there no Europe-Hawaii flights, a European would probably say same reason there are no USA-Maldives flights!!! It's too far and there would be too few First and Business class passengers to make it worthwhile

Regards
JET SETTER

lima

RE: Balair Zurich-Honolulu

Sat Jun 17, 2000 12:03 pm

A few years ago I recall the swiss airline Balair operated charters from Zurich to Honolulu with A310-300. I saw this on their inflight magazine, Gazette. I don´t know where they stopped.

Maybe any swiss forum member could help on this?

UALfa@jfk

Sat Jun 17, 2000 3:28 pm

Jet Setter is right! I know if I were from Europe, why would I wanna fly all the way to over-touristed HNL, when the Canaries, Mauritius, the Seychelles, the Maldives, Ibiza, etc., etc., are in so much easier reach?

I personally, think Ko Samui, Phuket (both in Thailand), the Seychelles and the Maldives are among the most beautiful paradises in the world, much better than Hawaii. And just think... There are NO nonstops from the U.S. to any of those places!!! (although I really wish there were!!!)

hisham

Sat Jun 17, 2000 4:14 pm

To fly nonstop from Europe to Hawaii, should they fly East or West?
Hisham.

turbulence

Sat Jun 17, 2000 11:39 pm

There's no direct Hawaii-Europe because it is too long. The longest non-stop from-to Europe is LAX, and a Hawaii one could be accomplished, not East nor west bounded, but right above the pole, which would be the shorter way, only by some kind of ER quad, since there's no possibility of ETOPs landing up there...

About the weather in Europe, southern Europe has more sun, higher temperatures and warmer baths than Hawaii, and no "surprise hawaiian showers". And for tropical islands, there's hundreds of destinations much more beautiful, near and cheap in the Caribbean Gulf and Indian Ocean, which find themselves at half the way. Maybe even Hawaiians could try some...

Best turbulences

Delta15

Sat Jun 17, 2000 11:53 pm

Where did you here the longest nonstop from Europe is LA? I know of many more destinations that are way way longer than that. Know your info before you post it!!

avion

Sun Jun 18, 2000 12:02 am

Lima:
I only know that Hawaiian operated charters with the DC-8 from Zurich to Honolulu. But these flights are long gone.

Hawaii is just too far from Europe and we have also tropical islands within 6 hours flight in the EU. The canaries, mallorca or the acores are also very nice and have nothing short of Hawaii. You have tons of flight to the Baleares, the canaries or the aegan sea for mainland europe.

Avion

turbulence

Sun Jun 18, 2000 12:11 am

Delta15:

To USA, OK?

Actually if we are talking about non-stop flights between Hawaii and Europe, with stopover or not within USA, we are excluding other destinations, so LAX is physically the furthest destination in USA from Europe, since Hawaii is not reachable.
Have you already understood, or is still too complicated for you?

johnboy

Sun Jun 18, 2000 12:58 am

I can't believe that there is someplace in Europe that is nicer than Hawaii (in a tropical sense): it just doesn't exist! And I'm getting off the aviation topic, to be sure!

turbulence

Sun Jun 18, 2000 1:05 am

For sure there is. Come and see.

avion

Sun Jun 18, 2000 1:56 am

Surely there are some places that are equally nice as Hawaii. Haven't you heard of the canaries, the acores, the baleares, the isles in the aegan sea, cyprus and even jersey and guernsey.

Avion

gerardo

Sun Jun 18, 2000 2:43 am

Having flown myself twice from ZRH to HNL and OGG, I can only agree with Avion. There are many other tropical beauties at a nearer distance to ZRH and for sure with cheaper prices for drinks and meals   but that's another story.

Swissair has promoted last year US destinations, amongst them also Honolulu via LAX (LAX-HNL operated by DL at this time).

So, there is no need for European airlines to fly to HNL themself, as the respective alliance partners from the US can help there with their own networks.

Nowadays, you can fly ZRH-HNL or ZRH-OGG via LAX or SFO with SR and AA.

Regards
Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

SR3496

Sun Jun 18, 2000 2:57 am

I have been to Hawaii twice and I have to say that it is an extrem long journey! But I think that you can't compare the baleres or canaries with Hawaii. Have you ever seen such a huge wave on the coast of Ibiza!? I love being on the beaches on Maui and Oahu.
SR3496

teahan

Sun Jun 18, 2000 6:23 am

No Hawaii is so much nicer ! I was there last August. I agree it was a long jouney( well not that long really 12hours + 5 hours) via LAX but you cannot compare Hawaii to the Canaries. The culture is so much better and the people are much nicer! Where in the Canaries can you snorkel, snuba dive (not scuba dive)
etc!

I might go at the end of this month   (I was definetly supposed to go but certain incidents which you can read in other topics this month could put that in jeoaprdy  )

How about SR flying ZRH-LAX-HNL  

Jeremiah Teahan
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

dc-9-10

Sun Jun 18, 2000 12:37 pm

wouldnt San Dieago be the farthest reachable to europe?