UA868
Topic Author

Curtains Are Back On UA!

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:25 pm

I was not aware that the TSA has agreed that cabin divider curtains are allowed again!!

UA is adding new curtains to all the fleet with some exceptions (TED etc..).

I think this makes such a difference for customers seated in the premium cabins.

Regards,

DL4EVR

RE: Curtains Are Back On UA!

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:33 pm

It definitely does. DL has started to do it also. I think the f/a's just need to let pax that the curtains are there for a reason!!!
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

AEROFAN

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:39 pm

why are there curtains on domestic flights anyhow? it isn't as if there's really a difference in service levels. on int'l flights i can understand this

ah, perhaps it is to keep people in the back in the dark about how truly alike the service in the "premium" and economy cabins are. or perhaps to keep those in the front from understanding how much they are being suckered

flypdx

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:40 pm

Are they mesh curtains or solid fabric?

Brick

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:42 pm

I was on UA870 SYD-SFO on Wednesday and went downstairs to strech my legs a bit. I noticed curtains now separate the economy cabin from the business cabin and the business cabin from first class cabin. Later on a SFO-DEN segment (on a 733) there was no curtain between Y and F. I hope to see them back on all of the flights!
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

cgnnrw

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 2):
why are there curtains on domestic flights anyhow? it isn't as if there's really a difference in service levels. on int'l flights i can understand this

ah, perhaps it is to keep people in the back in the dark about how truly alike the service in the "premium" and economy cabins are. or perhaps to keep those in the front from understanding how much they are being suckered

Not at all..... I think it's a good move to have the curtains back because I'm soooooo sick and tired  mad  of people in the business/premium cabins constantly sticking their noses towards the back of the plane and making rude comments about economy passengers. They should just stay in their part of the cabin and leave the rest of us alone. razz   sarcastic 
A330 man.

roseflyer

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:22 am

I think one reason is to help keep economy passengers from using the front lavatory on the narrowbodies. Some first class passengers get annoyed with people walking up and down the aisle and creating a line for the front lavatory (I have been on a flight when one lady got mad at the flight attendant for not keeping the economy passengers from using the front lav). And I know it is rude and arrogant to say that first class passengers are better because they are not, but the extra money that they pay (and yes even upgrading costs something even if it is just loyalty to an airline) earns them the right to not have to wait to use the lavatory.

There is a service difference. One section gets free food, and the other doesn't on domestic flights. It also keeps the first class cabin a little bit quieter.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

DL4EVR

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:28 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 6):
One section gets free food

Not necessarily... Sad

I think one reason is to help keep economy passengers from using the front lavatory on the narrowbodies.

Exactly! If a beverage cart or something is in the aisle blocking access to the Y lav, then I guess Y pax can only use the F lav. But if there are no obstacles in the aisle, there is no excuse not to use the lav in your given cabin.

CV990A

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:28 am

I was on UA847 this past Saturday IAD-LGA, and I noticed the 757 in question (N526UA) did have the mesh curtains installed, however, they were not used- I presume because the flight was so short?
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

DL4EVR

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting CV990A (Reply 8):
I was on UA847 this past Saturday IAD-LGA, and I noticed the 757 in question (N526UA) did have the mesh curtains installed, however, they were not used- I presume because the flight was so short?

Maybe it's up to the f/a's as to whether they should be used or not...
On one flight they weren't closed until I mentioned something...she said that she still felt a little insecure with them closed...

ORDTerminal1

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:03 am

I was on US back in April in F, and the "curtain" was only a piece of mesh. Economy passengers could easily view the First Class Cabin and vice versa. Is UA installing solid or mesh curtains?
717, 727, 732,733, 734, 735, 738, 742, 744, 752, 763, 319, 320, 340, F100

roseflyer

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting ORDTerminal1 (Reply 10):
I was on US back in April in F, and the "curtain" was only a piece of mesh. Economy passengers could easily view the First Class Cabin and vice versa. Is UA installing solid or mesh curtains?

I believe that any curtains on US registered carriers have to be see through. This requires the mesh curtains and not the solid fabric ones. This is for security reasons. An air marshal or flight attendants needs to be able to see the flight deck door even with a curtain in place.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

grantcv

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:54 am

In the pictures released of the 787 cabin, the entry way between the business/first class cabin and the economy cabin is a light airy inviting space rather than a galley. This removes a natural divide between the two cabins.

So will they have large curtains or will airlines rather go for the conventional approach used today and continue to invite us to enter their planes by way of the kitchen door?

Jonno

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:45 am

Quiet and comfort and privacy. Preventing pax from economy storming into First when they actually have to wait to use the toilets. And yes, I have seen this happen in First.

AEROFAN

Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:28 am

OK - I do admit that when am flying business on int'l flights I get annoyed when Y pax trod to my cabin to use the loo. some carriers do make a pre flight announcement to stick to the cabins you have been assigned, but some Ys believe they are entitled to use any loo on board. i don't go use the ones in the Y cabin, don't see why they should come and use the ones in the J cabin.

LH417AF025

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 5):
I'm soooooo sick and tired of people in the business/premium cabins constantly sticking their noses towards the back of the plane and making rude comments about economy passengers.

im so sick of the people in the economy cabin sticking their nose in the business and first cabin.

cgnnrw

Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:26 am

Quoting LH417AF025 (Reply 15):
im so sick of the people in the economy cabin sticking their nose in the business and first cabin.

it was meant to be a joke..............  Wink
A330 man.

bohica

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:13 am

At least it's better than DL. I was on a recent flight in a DL 738 and they had a rope separating the F and Y cabins.

LH417AF025

Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:42 am

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 16):
t was meant to be a joke..............

glad im not the only one then  smile 

i just can't handle it when people start complaining about how those upfront have a superiority complex.

DL4EVR

Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting Bohica (Reply 17):
At least it's better than DL. I was on a recent flight in a DL 738 and they had a rope separating the F and Y cabins.

They did? I only thought CO did that. In any case I think a rope might be more effective in separating cabins than the thin curtain which you can see through anyway...
or better yet...why not have both? CO does!

FlyDeltaJets

Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting Flypdx (Reply 3):

DL went back to the mesh curtains on the a/c with the new interiors.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

bkkair

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:42 pm

Quoting Brick (Reply 4):
I was on UA870 SYD-SFO on Wednesday and went downstairs to strech my legs a bit. I noticed curtains now separate the economy cabin from the business cabin and the business cabin from first class cabin. Later on a SFO-DEN segment (on a 733) there was no curtain between Y and F.

Still, nobody in 20 replies has said whether these are "solid" curtains or "see through" curtains. Brick?

HPAEAA

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:52 pm

h, perhaps it is to keep people in the back in the dark about how truly alike the service in the "premium" and economy cabins are. or perhaps to keep those in the front from understanding how much they are being suckered

I think one reason is to help keep economy passengers from using the front lavatory on the narrowbodies.

AMEN!!! I'm glad more carriers are putting them back.. I hated having lines to get to the F class lav.... thats why I paid for F class, to keep it clear and have my own lav lol!

Quoting Bkkair (Reply 21):
Still, nobody in 20 replies has said whether these are "solid" curtains or "see through" curtains. Brick?

Their a Mesh curtin.. the Solid curtins are banned by the FAA.... the mesh allows the flt deck and flt attendent to see whats going on in the back so the flight is safe...
Why do I fly???

sccutler

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:02 pm

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 22):
AMEN!!! I'm glad more carriers are putting them back.. I hated having lines to get to the F class lav.... thats why I paid for F class, to keep it clear and have my own lav lol!

Paid? Right...

...meal listed, maybe...
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

HPAEAA

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:07 pm

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 23):
Paid? Right...

...meal listed, maybe...

OK... you got me usualy yes... but I have goten stuck and paid the F class fare to get home...
Why do I fly???

USAFHummer

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:34 pm

I was on UA 244 today (6/1), DEN-ORD op by 744 N195UA, and the f/a's went to great lengths to specifically point out the lack of curtains on the a/c during announcements, still citing "security regulations"...connecting flight UA 896 ORD-PHL op by 733 N309UA also lacked curtains, but f/a's did not mention it on that flight...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

UA772IAD

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:54 pm

Quoting Flypdx (Reply 3):

Mesh. I flew on a 3 class 763, UA in C about a month and a half ago, and I noticed they divided the C and Y cabins, since the C lavs are at the back of the cabin, behind the galley, allowing Y customers to sneak up (not a big deal, if there's no line). The FA and I joked about it though, because it was barely wide enough to touch both ends of the wall.

On another note,
I've had a FA's make an announcement similar to this, once airborne:

"Ladies and gentlemen, there are X classes of service on our flight today. You will notice the curtains that use to divide the cabins have been removed for security reasons, and for security reasons we require you to remain in your ticketed class of service..."

On the topic of using other lavs,
I remember last year flying IAD-LHR on a 744, UA. I was seated in row 6, the first C class row in the 744. Since there no lavs up front, the lavs right in front of our cabin (along with the galley), serve as a divider and F lavs. During pushback, I remember, the Purser (a middle aged suspected Brit, whose French twist was tied way to tight- she was stickler) went around and told every row in that cabin that the lavs in front of us, were for F class customers only, and we HAD to go to the back of our cabin. She also told us we couldn't go upstairs.

I have to say on UA though, I have never been reprimanded by a FA for going into Y class. On flights over 2 hours, I usually like to take a stroll and stand in the back galley area for a few minutes.

KLM11

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:04 pm

Thats great to hear! I can recall flying a EWR-SAN segment on CO where a see-through-type curtain was used to separate Economy from First Class. In order to prevent any "traffic" into First Class, the F/A's used a rope that was attached to the bulkheads, however many customers continued into F Class despite the rope and curtain. In short, I was surprised that curtains, despite being "see through," were allowed on domestic US segments because I had not seen them while flying US, UA, etc. From a customers perspective, I am glad to hear about the addition of curtains back into domestic cabins because it affords the F/J Class customers more privacy, and, if the curtains are made of a non-see-through material, prevents Y class customers from feeling uncomftorable/offended by a premium cabin customers remarks/stares, etc.  Smile

--KLM11
BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

BoomBoom

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:12 pm

There was a mesh curtain on the NW 757 flight from DTW to SEA too.
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

KLM11

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:29 pm

Quoting UA772IAD (Reply 26):
During pushback, I remember, the Purser (a middle aged suspected Brit, whose French twist was tied way to tight- she was stickler) went around and told every row in that cabin that the lavs in front of us, were for F class customers only, and we HAD to go to the back of our cabin. She also told us we couldn't go upstairs.

Although I agree that it is a bit rediculous that you had to hear that individually from the Purser, airlines are quite concerned with customers crossing cabins in fear that they may cause a scene/threat while near the cockpit. Even though its common for customers to say something along the lines of "its just a restroom, they are all the same...," to one of the F/A's, the truth is that the majority of airlines have outfitted their F (and some C) lavatories with ammenities geared toward the premium paying customer. Just look at the QF F Class Lav. on the 744, heck, you'd think you were in a Kohler showroom!  Smile

--KLM11
BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

lredlefsen

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:31 pm

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 14):
I get annoyed when Y pax trod to my cabin to use the loo

Me too. Frankly, I don't fly in F for the "fabulous" food. I fly F so that I don't stand in line -- at checkin, the loo, or elsewhere. I *pay* for the privilege of having a loo waiting for me, rather than the other way around. Some people just don't get that, or respect it. It's like having a park in a city, vs building a housing project on it. (I prefer the park.)

Quoting KLM11 (Reply 27):
In order to prevent any "traffic" into First Class, the F/A's used a rope that was attached to the bulkheads, however many customers continued into F Class despite the rope and curtain.

I wish the FAs enforced the cabin dividers. BA does, at least on long-hauls.

the curtains that use to divide the cabins have been removed for security reasons, and for security reasons we require you to remain in your ticketed class of service..."

IMHO, that works in one direction -- Y pax don't go "up front", but it should be OK for F pax to stretch their legs. (See my almost concurrent thread on this subject -- I was more than a little annoyed at an FA who told me that F pax could not go back due to "new regulations", but wasn't up for calling his bluff. I think I'll write AA, though.)

I have to say on UA though, I have never been reprimanded by a FA for going into Y class. On flights over 2 hours, I usually like to take a stroll and stand in the back galley area for a few minutes.

Amen. Again, see my earlier thread on this.

UA772IAD

Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:01 pm

Quoting KLM11 (Reply 29):

I agree, and those QF bathrooms are amazing, and rare. UA does not have higher quality bathrooms for F Class. And While I do agree with you, keep in mind that this was on a 744, and the cockpit is upstairs (along with part of C class). There is absolutely nothing threating between F and C on a UA744. Except for that damned Purser

neednewairport

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:52 pm

Our curtains are back on the entire fleet at US-east and US-west. They are mesh but keep the coach folks out of the first cabin!

[Edited 2006-06-02 09:53:04]

bkkair

Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:07 pm

So, is every US airline mesh or solid curtains? It sounded like UA has solid curtains from what Brick posted on his SYD-SFO flight.

And for those who haven't seen the picture of the QF First Class Bathroom from
Crdaus's trip report

cainanuk

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:37 pm

It's sooooooo good that they are finally going to meet the wishes of snobs and keep the unwashed masses back in steerage where they belong!

(sarcasm off)
Cainan Cornelius

cgnnrw

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:26 pm

One question I have to all the Biz paxs who don't like waiting in line for the lavs due to econ paxs using them. Is there any difference waiting in line while other C paxs use the lavs????

I have flown Biz class on a few occasions and it seems as soon as the FAs announce landing in a few minutes Biz paxs also jump and run to the lav "one last time" also creating a line, although not as long as in the back of the plane.

Anyway, I personally have nothing against business travellers...they're people too.........  Wink
A330 man.

aeroplan73

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:33 pm

Quoting UA868 (Thread starter):
It definitely does. DL has started to do it also. I think the f/a's just need to let pax that the curtains are there for a reason!!!

I think people tend to forget that you buy a product when you fly. Regardless of what 'class' you fly in, you want the product you paid for. I don't think it's inappropriate to want a business class cabin to remain exclusive for those who paid for it.

I fly all the time, it never stops being an 'experience', and part of that experience is being treated special.
I remember, the choices were chicken or fish. I had the lasagna.