burberry753

My XLA Flight Cancelled!

Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:41 am

Hi, i am due to fly to ZTH on XL4032 on the 18th from NCL and the travel agent rang today and said we are going to MAN instead! i understand this is the Finnair aircraft they are leasing and was wondering what a/c i am now flying on? MAN-ZTH 18/06/06 15:00 apparantly... cheers  Smile

AirCop

RE: My XLA Flight Cancelled!

Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:06 am

Things happen, at least you're still going. Greece is very nice.

andaman

Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:53 pm

Quoting Burberry753 (Thread starter):
Hi, i am due to fly to ZTH on XL4032 on the 18th from NCL and the travel agent rang today and said we are going to MAN instead! i understand this is the Finnair aircraft they are leasing and was wondering what a/c i am now flying on? MAN-ZTH 18/06/06 15:00 apparantly... cheers

Finnair uses the charter version of B752, they often lease them out too.
I am afraid it will not be any of Finnair's comfortable airbuses... but you will survive.

True, Greece is nice. I have flown AY's B752 from HEL to Corfu and Mykonos in Greece, enjoyed both.

[Edited 2006-06-03 15:55:09]
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

planesarecool

Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:28 pm

Your new flight should be a B757-200, 14:45 departure.

cwldude

Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:07 am

Why did they cancel your flight?

Good of them to inform you beforehand!
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

burberry753

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:10 am

I dont know why, they didnt tell us lol Smile

burberry753

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:13 am

OMG lol Its now on Monarch we are travelling, MON1216/7, i wonder why im on a totally different airline!?!?

Cosmic

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:20 am

Quoting Burberry753 (Reply 6):
OMG lol Its now on Monarch we are travelling, MON1216/7, i wonder why im on a totally different airline!?!?

Maybe your original Aircraft didn't have a huge amount of passengers, so it was more cost effective to place you all on a Monarch Aircraft, which may also have not been full.

burberry753

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting Cosmic (Reply 7):
Maybe your original Aircraft didn't have a huge amount of passengers, so it was more cost effective to place you all on a Monarch Aircraft, which may also have not been full.

Anyone know what a/c they will use? cheers  Smile

cwldude

Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:06 am

Is that MON flight from NCL or MAN?
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

burberry753

Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:20 am

MAN, I hope its an A300 or an A321  Smile cheers!

burberry753

Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:09 pm

Anyone know where I can find out? Also, my original XLA flight to ZTH from NCL still seems to be running. So maybe it got too full and there was space on the MAN flight Olympic Holidays are using aswell.  Smile

planesarecool

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:11 am

When did you book? It seems strange that it would be full in June, when people are still at school and ultimately, when most kids are still doing exams. And even if it was full, then they should not have put you on the flight in the first place. You should get onto them and see what's going on.

In terms of your Monarch flight, last time i checked it was scheduled as a B757-200, however this is subject to last minute change.

cwldude

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:34 am

... yet another XLA cock-up it seems!

At least they're trying to do something about it though, can't fault them for that!

planesarecool

Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:00 am

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 13):

No, if anybody is at fault, its Olympic Holidays, who he booked with. Excel haven't cancelled the flight, and the seats sold by the tour operator would have been in their own controlling.

Burberry753, were you asked if you minded changing flights or did they tell you that you had to change? I'd call them up to see what's happening and the reason why you had to change, because i cannot imagine that a flight in the middle of June to ZTH will be full. Also, has your return flight been changed as well?

burberry753

Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:29 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 14):
Burberry753, were you asked if you minded changing flights or did they tell you that you had to change? I'd call them up to see what's happening and the reason why you had to change, because i cannot imagine that a flight in the middle of June to ZTH will be full. Also, has your return flight been changed as well?

I dont think its XL's fault at all now, because my original flight is still operating. Maybe it was overbooked. No we werent asked we were told lol Iv been looking at the photos and it seems theres only Airbusses based at MAN this summer, correct me if I'm wrong  Smile

jetset7e7

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting Burberry753 (Reply 10):
MAN, I hope its an A300 or an A321 cheers!

MON1216/1217 is operated by 757. Was G-DAJB today.

Mark
Retrofitted Blended Winglets - The Future Is On The Wing

burberry753

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:00 pm

Quoting Jetset7E7 (Reply 16):
MON1216/1217 is operated by 757. Was G-DAJB today.

Does anyone know where I can find out what the scheduled a/c for a charter is? cheers Smile

steady eddie

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:52 pm

Change the record mate, you're talking rubbish again, at least your mate SBE727 has seen sense and piped down

jetset7e7

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:53 pm

Quoting Burberry753 (Reply 17):

Does anyone know where I can find out what the scheduled a/c for a charter is? cheers

You mean what a/c will operate this flight?

Mark
Retrofitted Blended Winglets - The Future Is On The Wing

burberry753

Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:33 pm

Yeah but i looked on all the websites i could think of and i couldn't find out what aircraft it is, even though i know now its the 757  Smile

cwldude

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:04 pm

Quoting Steady Eddie (Reply 18):

Change the record mate, you're talking rubbish again, at least your mate SBE727 has seen sense and piped down

There's no sense to see!

I can't seem to win on here, I have commended XLA twice over the last week, once regarding the way they excellently handled their situaition at CWL last week, and once during this thread for actually doing something about the flight and re-allocating the passengers seats on other flights insted of waiting for them to turn up at the airport!

Regardless, they have once again let themselves down this weekend, they currently have TWO aircraft stranded in LCA (it might have returned by now I dont know), but there's definately one still stuck in SSH, and it's not due back until 2140, which is 22 hours after it's STA.

Sort it out

steady eddie

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:40 pm

because its a charter flight, so pax sales are done by the tour op, not the airline, as already established, the flight is still operating but our friend has been moved by his tour operator. Its got diddly squat to do with XLA and is definitely not a cock up on their part.

burberry753

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:50 pm

Quoting Steady Eddie (Reply 22):
because its a charter flight, so pax sales are done by the tour op, not the airline, as already established, the flight is still operating but our friend has been moved by his tour operator. Its got diddly squat to do with XLA and is definitely not a cock up on their part.

Exactly, the flight is still running, in fact it departed bang on time on sunday!

cwldude

Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting Steady Eddie (Reply 22):
Its got diddly squat to do with XLA and is definitely not a cock up on their part.

Right fine... my mistake... bad tour operator!!

Still doesn't change the fact XLA are crap!

steady eddie

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:22 am

see you're doing it again

It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool then to speak up and remove all doubt.

FlyingColours

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:23 am

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 24):
Still doesn't change the fact XLA are crap!

Excel are not crap (well they might be in your opinion), Air Atlanta are crap but Excel are winning awards, their 737-800s are well maintained and don't go tech that often, it was Excel who introduced leather seating in economy charter. The Air Atalanta aircraft are what is letting Excel down, XLA should have seen these problems 2 years ago and cancelled the lease but instead they let AAI take over and now they are stuck.

XLA are the European Launch customer for the 737-900ER which will be coming in and replacing those dated 757-200s. Of course it may be too late by then as their reputation may have plummeted to that of Peach Air by then, but hey then they can just rebrand, after all its only us who are in the know - most of the time.

I flew for Excel last year out of BRS, on the Air Atlanta 737-400s, sure there were a hell of a lot of delays but they were caused for various reasons from the (most common) AOG/Tech to weather & diversions, that aside everyone at the company tried their best to keep the base running.

Thats just my little rant over.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

cwldude

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:32 am

Regardless of the fact it's REALLY Air Atlanta, your average consumer is unlikely to know that, therefore they still see is as Excel Airways. All the passengers who were stranded in Larnaka and Sharm el Sheikh last night, they'll think Excel are to blame for their 10-22 hour delays, at the end of the day, Excel ARE Air Atlanta, or vica verca, and they have let themselves down SO MUCH over the past couple of years! and things DEFINATELY aren't getting better!

steady eddie

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:35 am

OK, presume its Excel's fault they had a bird strike this weekend as well which was the trigger for most of the delays?

FlyingColours

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:57 am

Ok RE SSH, whatever caused a delay out there aside for a minute, the crew would go out of hours. UK airlines have to get special permission to actually fly that route and back with no layover, get a delay of an hour and its nightstop.

Birdstrikes happen, I had one last year, I had one this year and on both occasions they hit the outer part of the engine, missing the inlet(inside) by inches.

I agree, the public don't know the difference but now they are pretty much the same company they can't turn around and say "oh its air atlanta's fault not ours". Oh and it was Air Atlanta Icelandic that were leasing A/C to XLA, Air Atlanta Europe (EUK) has been merged into XLA, AAI is still a seperate entitiy. Some EUK 747s have now been moved over with a few on the Icelandic Register - and are listed as AAI aircraft. I don't know about the 757s and 767s now that they are on the Golf register.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

Cosmic

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:28 am

Is there still the possibility that the Excel and Monarch flights have been combined because it is more cost effective and they both were not full?

planesarecool

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:39 am

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 27):
Regardless of the fact it's REALLY Air Atlanta, your average consumer is unlikely to know that, therefore they still see is as Excel Airways. All the passengers who were stranded in Larnaka and Sharm el Sheikh last night, they'll think Excel are to blame for their 10-22 hour delays, at the end of the day, Excel ARE Air Atlanta, or vica verca, and they have let themselves down SO MUCH over the past couple of years! and things DEFINATELY aren't getting better!

Baring in mind very few flights are delayed, i don't think many people are going to be put off flying Excel.

My mate was due to fly back from Malta with them about a week ago (last saturday) and the flight was delayed for about 14 hours, before eventually being cancelled and rescheduled to the sunday. He said they were all informed of the delay at their hotel and the new scheduled departure time, and all passengers were put up in their hotel for another night and they just got an extra day's holiday for free. They then checked in and flew as normal on the sunday evening as if that was their original flight time.

Now if that makes them crap, i don't know what will please you to be honest. Excel informed them of the delay so they didn't even have to go to the airport. They put them up in the hotels they were staying in at the time, free of charge, and rescheduled transfers to the new departure time on the sunday. Do you realise how much this would have set them back?

Don't even bother to say their crap until you've at least flown with them. You can't judge an airline by what you see on airport's departure boards.

burberry753

Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting COSMIC (Reply 30):
Is there still the possibility that the Excel and Monarch flights have been combined because it is more cost effective and they both were not full?

Olympic Holidays is using both XL and Monarch so thats why we'v been shipped over to MAN lol  Smile

cwldude

Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:57 am

Getting an extra day's holiday for free is just aswell if you haven't actually got to be in work the following morning!

The SSH-CWL flight has now been further delayed after it's re-scheduled ETA, and shall now land 26 hours behind schedule! If I was on that flight, I would lose 2 days work as most of them won't get home til 3-4 this morning!

I'll no doubt be reading about it in the local papers tomorrow, looking forward to hearing what the people who matter (the passengers) have to say!

jmc757

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:07 am

Quoting Burberry753 (Reply 32):
Olympic Holidays is using both XL and Monarch so thats why we'v been shipped over to MAN lol

Out of interest, can I ask if you've asked Olympic Holidays why your being shipped down to Manchester, considering the Newcastle flight is still operating?

Seeing as you go in less than two weeks, informing you now that you've got to travel to an airport 160 miles from your original one at this late stage is bizarre! Hope they're making it work your while Big grin

Went to Zante last year with Olympic Holidays, had a great holiday, where you staying?!

planesarecool

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 33):
I'll no doubt be reading about it in the local papers tomorrow, looking forward to hearing what the people who matter (the passengers) have to say!

Oh you mean the people who say that the company is the biggest pile of shit in the world just because they've had one bad experience that was out of the control of the company involved? You watched 'Airline' recently?

Oh and do you want have a little moan about the FCA CWL-CFU flight that appears to be delayed until tomorrow. Second thoughts, don't bother, you won't know the reason for the delay (as usual).

burberry753

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:51 am

Quoting Jmc757 (Reply 34):
Out of interest, can I ask if you've asked Olympic Holidays why your being shipped down to Manchester, considering the Newcastle flight is still operating?

Seeing as you go in less than two weeks, informing you now that you've got to travel to an airport 160 miles from your original one at this late stage is bizarre! Hope they're making it work your while 

Went to Zante last year with Olympic Holidays, had a great holiday, where you staying?!

We are staying in Laganas which iv heard is quite near to the airport lol Olympic have given us £130 between 9 of us to get us to MAN and they didnt tell us why they are changing us! Never mind  Smile

TuRbUleNc3

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:56 am

At least they gave you plenty of notice plus some compo, even though its not a lot, its more than you'd get with a lo-co airline. Have a safe flight and an enjoyable holiday!

jmc757

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting Burberry753 (Reply 36):
We are staying in Laganas which iv heard is quite near to the airport lol Olympic have given us £130 between 9 of us to get us to MAN and they didnt tell us why they are changing us! Never mind

Not too bad I guess! Laganas is brillaint you'll have a great time I'm sure! Make sure you go to Millagros and have what they call a "Sniffler"!!

Laganas is near the airport. Nice to sit on the beach all day and see the aircraft coming in over the bay!

burberry753

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:52 am

Cheers!!! I'm buzzin  Smile

cwldude

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:39 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 35):
Oh and do you want have a little moan about the FCA CWL-CFU flight that appears to be delayed until tomorrow. Second thoughts, don't bother, you won't know the reason for the delay (as usual).

I have, in another topic, mentioned the FCA delays that have hit CWL once again today! JUST to show that Im not JUST commenting on XLA delays... MYT also have an aircraft stranded in DLM tonight due in to CWL, which is now delayed 20 hours!!!!

I take it the XLA went tech as it flew out to SSH on-time, I did also mention that in a previous thread! But HONESTLY... regardless of the true reasons for delays, tech aircraft or not, they're falling badly under the air atlanta curse, and need to sort themselves out, wouldn't you agree? I understand faulty planes are beyond their control, but it's still an ongoing problem they need to be dealing with, because faulty planes are unacceptable for an airline company!

When you say about me flying with them before I insult them, I wouldn't WANT to give them the opportunity,
a. Because they're unreliable
b. Because I hear more bad reports than good ones
c. Because I wouldnt feel safe on-board one of their aircraft!

atco2b

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:59 pm

Quoting Burberry753 (Reply 10):
MAN, I hope its an A300 or an A321

ZTH cant take anything larger than a 757, I think...

Quoting Burberry753 (Reply 36):
We are staying in Laganas which iv heard is quite near to the airport lol

It is! Five years ago today, I was in Tsilivi in Zante! Lovely place, very hot lol. Laganas is a very...hmm...'lively' resort  Wink

Has some great spotter locations for arrivals from the south, landing RWY34. However, you cant beat a 757 blasting off 16 over the bay...!
Hey, you want to go out for pizza and some sex? What, you don't like pizza?

FlyingColours

Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:44 am

Quoting Atco2b (Reply 41):

Allegedly its had a 747 although I think the person I spoke to meant a flyby.

Yeah I haven't seen anything bigger than a 757 & A321 in there but hey the island (& terminal) is small enough so extending the runways to welcome a whorde of 767s could be a bad idea  Wink

Well could someone please tell me why CWL is having big delays with everyone then?

Phil
FlyingColours

cwldude

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 42):
Well could someone please tell me why CWL is having big delays with everyone then?

I think it's just co-incidence that FCA, MYT, and XLA planes have all gone tech or something along those lines at the same time, as TOM, WW, RE, and the rest of them have had no problems (or at most very minor ones).

Anyway, it's all pretty much back to normal now. The MYt plane that got stranded in DLM is due back at 2030 (20hrs 25mins late), they've had a B757 in to cover today's flights. FCA will be back on track as soon as EFL lands, they've had a B767 in today to cover flights, and XLA have been back to normal since this morning.

planesarecool

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting Atco2b (Reply 41):

Comfortably, yes. I flew on an Air New Zealand B767-200 (on lease to Airtours) into and out of Zante, but lets just say the departure was more than a little powerful.

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 40):
Because I hear more bad reports than good ones

That's because delays are rare, therefore they appear in the media. If you opened your paper and saw a story headed "XLA flight is on time" then there would be some serious problems.

Demoose

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:09 am

It's a shame to see XLA slide from top spot in terms of on time charter airline to wotever it is now, 5th or something. I doubt this season will be much better, they seem to be the worsed performing charter airline in terms of time keeping so far.
Take a ride...fly across the sky

cwldude

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:08 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 44):
That's because delays are rare

Not in the XLA world! I've already lost count of the amount of long delays they've had this season, and no matter how much you all shout at me, it will be proven in the stats at the end of the year!

planesarecool

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:36 am

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 46):
Not in the XLA world!

Yes in the XLA world. Sure they have a few delays, but i can guarentee that less than 5% of their flights are delayed by over an hour.

cwldude

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:27 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 47):
Yes in the XLA world. Sure they have a few delays, but i can guarentee that less than 5% of their flights are delayed by over an hour.

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 46):
it will be proven in the stats at the end of the year!

SBE727

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:38 am

Im sure that less than 5% are delayed over an hour, however, what will be the hard part is gaining back those minutes to reduce the avg minute delays in the stats. Lets not forget that anything over 15mins delay is counted in the stats, so all the 30mins delay may not seem much, which to be honest, isn't in this day of aviation, but the lengthy delays they have experienced will be hard to balance out.

But hey, its prob best if we do wait for the stats, that will conclude what has been said so far in this forum.

Cheers