LH492
Topic Author

Air France Says "oui" To In-flight Cell Phones Use

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:48 am

Air France is going to test the use of cell phones during the flight on one of their A318´s which will fly routes within europe and to nort africa.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6487665.html

interesting, this could remove screeming kids as the most annoying factor on a flight  

[Edited 2006-06-03 21:49:30]
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day

ClassicLover

RE: Air France Say "oui" To In-flight Cell Phones Use

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:50 am

Yuck! Not gonna fly Air France then.

Nothing would be more annoying...
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

sw733

RE: Air France Says "oui" To In-flight Cell Phones Use

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:54 am

Oh boy...glad I transit via UK or Germany, and not France on AF! I love the airline, but this would drive me up a wall. Can you imagine if it were on high demand business routes, ie Paris - London, Frankfurt, Milan...all those yappy business folk (of which I am one, and I hate me!  Wink) on their cell phones all flight long. If they are going to start this company wide, they need quiet planes, like they have quiet cars on the trains.

SQno1

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:56 am

Now what was that website for the mobile phone signal jammer again......  stirthepot 

With Regards,
Alex.B

dutchjet

Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:10 am

We are headed for trouble........first AF, but other carriers will follow>

I cant even imagine an airplane filled with pax, each one screaming into their cell phone discussing nonsense (and personal matters which I dont want to hear) and acting so self-important.......its gonna be awful.

Aeroflot777

Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:13 am

Very, very bad idea. It will be very annoying listening to all the conversations throughout the entire flight. I really hope something happens and this entire idea does not go through. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen.  Sad

Aeroflot777

DAL767400ER

Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:25 am

One more reason for me to want DL back at HAM, and one more reason to hate connecting in CDG with AF.

okees

Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:07 am

its probably gonna be freaking expensive with a lot of roaming charges. so the chances of you finding someone babbling with her girlfriend on the cell phone for hours about who wore what is close to 0! only people who really need to contact someone will do so.. otherwise.. its too expensive!

just my thought..
okees
mobs jakis

Broocy

Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:14 am

No... this is the start of the end of civilisation as we know it!

I can hear the conversations now. "Hey can you photograph me on final approach? I'm on an A318, didn't get the rego, but it's the dirty one."

duck 

UN_B732

Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:31 am

I assume there's going to be a heavy roaming premium (at least in the beginning), so there won't be a huge amt. of idle conversation.
You can use Verizon Airfone for only .69 a minute (cheaper with a plan) but most of the time they sit in disuse, and that's in AMERICA.
You can use Skype for almost free on Conexion by Boeing flights -- but half the plane doesn't turn their notebooks on and use Skype.

Unless it's absolutely no extra charge to use, which it won't be, we don't have to worry about lots of chatter -- like on the train or bus.
-Mr. X
What now?

Pihero

Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:36 am

Typical A.net flame bait.

And the usual AF bashers get on board.

1/- It is just a trial on une airplanefor six months
2/- for text messages and data only
3/-the service,even during the trial period will be charged
3/-voice service is not considered -yet-
5/-the service will not be different from the "Connexion" that Boeing already offers on international flights for data, texts and internet.
6/-the title of the original article was "AIR FRANCE SAYS "oui" TO TEXT MESSAGING...but "non" to voice calls"
it is here
Contrail designer

sw733

Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:57 am

Quoting Pihero (Reply 10):
3/-voice service is not considered -yet-

The article also specifically says "voice testing will come later".

Delta787

Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:10 am

I wouldnt mind people doing text messages. If Air France allowed voice calls, I would avoid them at all costs.
Fly Delta!

LH492
Topic Author

Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:01 pm

@ Pilhero,

I did not intend to bash AF, I just thought it might be interesting if something which was denied for decades in commercial aviation is going to change.
I only stated my personal oppinion towards this and I would have written the same if this would be introduced on another airline.
BTW, I am going to fly to the USA with AF in two month and I am really looking forward to experience their service.
I also think that it is nice if you are able to write text messages (even though I will never need that service, since I write E-mails.
cheers,
Philipp

[Edited 2006-06-04 15:01:39]
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day

kappel

Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:54 pm

Well, as much as I dislike the idea of cell phones on aircraft, I think in time it will not be so bad. Most people have developed a sort of etiquette surrounding mobile phones that wasn't there in the beginning of the 'mobile era'. Like turning off you phone in the movie theatre for instance and keeping your voice down in public space. Sure, not everyone has developed that etiquette, but seeing as how the cost will probably be sky-high (no pun intended) and I wouldn't be surprised if pax were asked to turn off the ringtone, so I think it won't be as bad as some ppl here think it will be.
L1011,733,734,73G,738,743,744,752,763,772,77W,DC855,DC863,DC930,DC950,MD11,MD88,306,319,320,321,343,346,ARJ85,CR7,E195

misbeehavin

Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:27 am

AF sent out a survey a couple of months ago asking what FFs thought about the idea. Of course, I responsed with an emphatic "Non!".

Let's see how this trial thing works out first.

AeroVodochody

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:02 am

Quoting Pihero (Reply 10):
6/-the title of the original article was "AIR FRANCE SAYS "oui" TO TEXT MESSAGING...but "non" to voice calls"

Thank GOD! I like it  Smile as long as they keep the beeping down, it's a good plan. Congrats to AF for testing it.

Aero
Try not to be jealous, we can't all be Czech.

FlySSC

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting Delta787 (Reply 12):
I wouldnt mind people doing text messages. If Air France allowed voice calls, I would avoid them at all costs.

Actually, what is the real difference between :
"The passenger next to me is using his cell phone"
and
"The passenger next to me is using the in-seat airplane phone system" ?
if he is talking lound in the middle of the night in a sleeping cabin ?

In any case, this is just a trial and I hope the idea will be dropped at the end of the test.

And, by the way, this subject was already discussed few weeks ago ...

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...ion/read.main/2705872/6/#ID2705872

[Edited 2006-06-04 19:37:23]

airbus3801

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:38 am

What is the big deal about cell phones. People claim we will hear them yapping on their phones, when it's just the same as them talking to their neighbor. It's not a big difference, and in fact, it is quieter because you can't hear the other person. R...E...L...A...X! It is not a big deal!

OB1504

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:44 am

Well, if AF does end up introducing this on all flights, they could probably make a killing selling noise-cancelling headphones.

CF188A

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:48 am

maby a bubble like structure ontop of the airbus models... with a portable extenable balcony with a screen door?
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

cy319

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:49 am

i agree. OUI to sms but NON to calls.  Smile
AF will be the pioneer in this issue. well done!
wanna be travel buddies ,sex buddies .. or both ?

PanHAM

Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:41 am

What is the difference between a passenger using his cellphone for a shoirt while, may be two or three times on a European flight and 2 or 3 passengers enganged in a conversation, talking all the way for one or two hours?

You want the cabin crew to tell these poeple to shut up as well?
powered by Eierlikör

jetdeltamsy

Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:50 am

What a sad day it will be when cellphone are allowed on aircraft.

Then we will have finally reach the lowest depths of the flying experience.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

AeroVodochody

RE: Air France Says "oui" To In-flight Cell Phones

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:05 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 23):
What a sad day it will be when cellphone are allowed on aircraft.

Well, not everyone loves to fly as much as we do Big grin So as long as they keep their phones silent and do text and data instead of voice calls (as AF is doing) they stay out of other people's hair. I don't see this as a big deal

Aero
Try not to be jealous, we can't all be Czech.

ftrguy

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:19 am

Unless the aircraft has some kind of cell phone relay capability (like this AF 318 will have), cell phones don't work in the air. Try it sometime and see how long you can keep a signal, if you can get one at all.

sw733

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:42 am

Quoting Ftrguy (Reply 25):
Unless the aircraft has some kind of cell phone relay capability (like this AF 318 will have), cell phones don't work in the air. Try it sometime and see how long you can keep a signal, if you can get one at all.

If you have a phone that works off of satellites and not simply towers, it works.

csavel

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:53 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 22):
What is the difference between a passenger using his cellphone for a shoirt while, may be two or three times on a European flight and 2 or 3 passengers enganged in a conversation, talking all the way for one or two hours?

You want the cabin crew to tell these poeple to shut up as well?

Generally people don't constantly yap to each other for say an hour or two continuously, whereas cell phone users can yap to one two three or four people serially, so usually (not all the time I know there are exceptions) there is far more yapping with a cell phone.
Plus even a good cell phone is a cell phone, ergo, people invariably talk louder, and yes, frankly, sometimes someone with a really loud vioce (and that person usually knows he/she has a loud voice and I think secretly enjoys intruding on other persons private spaces) should be told to STFU!

Plus I read somewhere in a magazine (wish I can recall) that a study shows tha cell phones are more annoying since you only hear one half of a conversation, by hearing both halves, you tune it out when you know it isn't about you but hearing only half makes it instictively more difficult.

I think the perfect jam for an annoying cell phone talker, is since he or she is invading public space, is that since cell phone talker is in public space himself, then comment on the call, he's talking about work, loudly chime in! Talking to Boyfriend,yell about how the girlfriend flirted with someone just before.Public space works two ways.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

PanHAM

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:11 am

@ Csavel - I disagree - just recently I was on a flight with a very annoying and loud conversation nearby over most of the 1 1/2 hours. Happens all the time and sometimes there are whole groups "entertaining" the rest of the passengers.

More, on trains in Europe we have the situation already that cellphones are used. Not a big issue really, hardly anybody speaks over the distance of a trip and you don't hear the guy in the front if you sit in the rear of the car.

This is another anti cellphones-in-the-air thread and when it becomes reality, which will be the case, it will be "much ado about nothng".