apollo13

New Airport In Bangkok

Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:26 pm

When will the new bangkok airport open. I am going there next october, will i be arriving in it?

kdm

RE: New Airport In Bangkok

Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:25 pm

I'm keen to know as well. The new airport got a lot of press here in Singapore as it is likely to take custom away from Changi. I flew to Bangkok 2 weeks ago into the old airport but was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

NZAA

Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:31 pm

Quoting Kdm (Reply 1):
I'm keen to know as well. The new airport got a lot of press here in Singapore as it is likely to take custom away from Changi.

There have been reports from the Thai government accusing other Asian governments of paying the contractor to stall work on this airport for that very reason. Maybe thats why theres alot of press.
Planes Piloted Tecnam P2002 JF, Cessna 172R, Cessna 152, Airbus A320

EK413

Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:19 pm

I'm looking forward to using the NEW BKK International gateway when I fly to Thailand in late September...I personally feel the old airport has reached its use-by date....Very dirty & smelly if you ask me...
Yuck

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

KFly

Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:21 pm

Quoting NZAA (Reply 2):
There have been reports from the Thai government accusing other Asian governments of paying the contractor to stall work on this airport for that very reason. Maybe thats why theres alot of press.

That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard  Yeah sure
Yes, I love to have some warm nuts.

AirlineBrat

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:23 am

I flew into, out of and through the existing BKK airport several times a few weeks ago. It was a little worn and smelly but I didn't mind flying through there at all. It can be a long walk between terminals. At least the walkway connecting Terminal 2 with the Domestic Terminal is air conditioned which was really nice in that heat and humidity. I'll take the existing BKK over LAX's TBIT any day.

Hopefully the rail line to the new BKK will be up and running before the airport opens. The new airport is in the middle of nowhere and a cab ride into town will be far more expensive then from the existing airport.
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

ThaiboynMexico

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:49 am

The last time I googled the subject, I found this recently published article in the Nation, an English newspaper in Thailand. Here's the link to the article.

In a nutshell, the government (the Prime Minister himself) affirmed that partial opening before October is imminent because that's when peak tourist season begins in Thailand.

They also mentioned that the REAL opening ceremony will take place when the peak season subsides.

I hope this time it's for real.

GuyBetsy1

Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:41 am

Quoting Airlinebrat (Reply 5):
Hopefully the rail line to the new BKK will be up and running before the airport opens. The new airport is in the middle of nowhere and a cab ride into town will be far more expensive then from the existing airport.

There will be NO rail line. The govt decided against opening a rail line as it was deemed too expensive..

Oh, and BTW, domestic flights are to remain at the current airport.. so can you imagine what a transfer from internation to domestic is going to be like?

intothinair

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:18 am

Quoting GuyBetsy1 (Reply 7):
Oh, and BTW, domestic flights are to remain at the current airport.. so can you imagine what a transfer from internation to domestic is going to be like?

I would have been more than surprised if it wouldn't. After all, the max. capacity of the NEW BKK airport will be 45 million annually when it opens, if BKK continues the way it did in the fist 2 months of 2006, they will have around 46-48 million by end of 2006, and top 50 million by 2007, no wonder they are keeping domestic flights at the current airport, to not surpass that figure of 45 million at the new airport for as long as possible.
As far as I know, the new BKK airport will also have fewer gates than the current changi airport without the addition of terminal 3 which will come in 2008, and do remember that BKK handles around or just under 10 million more pax. than SIN annualy.

cheers, Konstantin G.

AirlineBrat

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:54 am

Oh, and BTW, domestic flights are to remain at the current airport.. so can you imagine what a transfer from international to domestic is going to be like?

That will be a major hassle. I flew into BKK on CX and transferred to a Bangkok Air (PG) flight down to Samui (USM). Changing airports will be a major inconvenience. At least PG has nonstops from HKG to USM so you could just avoid BKK all together.

On a positive note, PG would finally get some gates with jetways. We had to take a wikki wikki type bus to a remote stand where our plane was parked. Not much fun during monsoon season.

elephantboy

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:48 pm

There will be NO rail line. The govt decided against opening a rail line as it was deemed too expensive..

The rail line is under construction. However, it might not be on-time when the airport is open this year.

RedChili

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:23 pm

How about Thai's flight FRA-BKK-HKT? Will they put the 744 in a transit bus over to the old airport?
Top 10 airplanes: B737, T154, B747, IL96, T134, IL62, A320, MD80, B757, DC10

AirlineBrat

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:35 pm

No, they will have to cram it into the trunk of a taxi car or a tuk tuk if a tout is convincing enough, and pay 5000 baht for the ride over there  Wink

NZAA

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:58 pm

Quoting KFly (Reply 4):

I have been told that it would have been ready earlier if that hadnt happened, also that it has been happening for years.
Planes Piloted Tecnam P2002 JF, Cessna 172R, Cessna 152, Airbus A320

stylo777

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:05 pm

Will the IATA and ICAO codes remain? If not I would think that there will a lot of confusing around the world.

Quote:
How about Thai's flight FRA-BKK-HKT? Will they put the 744 in a transit bus over to the old airport?

Quote:
No, they will have to cram it into the trunk of a taxi car or a tuk tuk if a tout is convincing enough, and pay 5000 baht for the ride over there

I would say that the 744 is the transit bus and TG make 5000 baht with this ride Big grin

aviasian

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:19 pm

Quoting NZAA (Reply 2):

This is a very interesting statement. NZAA: Could you please provide a link to these reports?

Frankly, all the other airports in the Asia Pacific region are too busy improving themselves to both with Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport. Any contractor that allows itself to be incentivised to delay the construction schedule is definitely not one to be chosen by the airport offering this incentive when it is looking to expand.

Like many, I have eyeballed every bit of news in the region about the opening of the new airport in Bangkok, and I have never seen such a report accusing other airports of "sabotage". The woes of Suvarnabhumi Airport are well documented and I shall therefore not bother to list them . . . the people in command need no foreign help in crafting this delay. They are actually pretty good - considering the number of times the Prime Minister and his bevy of Ministers or Director Generals or Deputies have pointed to "open dates" that come and go like "blind dates".

In essence, the saga continues.

KC Sim