DL WIDGET HEAD

New NWA Boarding Procedure At DTW?

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:25 am

While waiting for my DL flight back to ATL I observed a different boarding technique used by NW on flight 54 to AMS departing at 1910. At 1820 they called World Business Class customers to board. Then, at 1825, they invited all WorldPerk and SkyTeam Elite freqeunt flyers to board. After these 2 groups boarded, which didn't take long since they had two jetways attached to the A330-300, the gate agents did something that I have never seen on a full flight (and this flight was packed). The agent said "In line with Nothwest's boarding procedures we would now like to invite ALL rows to board, ALL aboard please (the time was 1830). Needless to say, a very long queue formed which ran down the center hall a bit. At first I thought this procedure was, if not stupid, then certainly strange. The funny thing is, they managed to get just about everybody in the gate area on board by about 1845, a full 25 minutes ahead of schedule. Obviously, this method worked well for them. So, my question is, did NW stumble on to a new and improved boarding process or was this a one time thing? Seems like they went back to the old fashioned way of boarding instead of the so called "hi tech" zone or row number system. Any thoughts, questions, or concerns?

HPAEAA

RE: New NWA Boarding Procedure At DTW?

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:33 am

Quoting DL Widget Head (Thread starter):
So, my question is, did NW stumble on to a new and improved boarding process or was this a one time thing? Seems like they went back to the old fashioned way of boarding instead of the so called "hi tech" zone or row number system. Any thoughts, questions, or concerns?

how long was the que in the jetbridge? sometimes you can scan the boarding passes quickly however the the jam just occurs in the jetbridge.... then again widebodies IMO board easier than Narrowbodies.... the extra aisle helps alot!
Why do I fly???

Jano

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:35 am

There is a good discussion in Flyertalk NWA forum about this...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557705
The Widget Air Line :)

ERJ170

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:36 am

They did the same thing on my DCA-DTW-YUL-DTW-DCA flight... for each leg, they asked Work Perks and SkyTeam elites first.. then it was everybody.. and the boarding went very quick which surprised me.. overall, it was an excellent trip.
Aiming High and going far..

DL WIDGET HEAD

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:40 am

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 1):
how long was the que in the jetbridge?

I couldn't see that from where I was in the gate area but I can tell you the line was moving steadily.

burnsie28

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:58 am

Yes, its something new they will no longer call by rows, just "all rows". It ends up loading the aircraft faster, people get in their seats faster, and find overhead faster. They did it the other night on a pretty full MSP-COS flight, and it went by a lot faster.

FlyGuyClt

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:37 pm

It works great. Just got back from 11 days of international flying and all flights left at least 10 minutes early.

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos