teixeim

Jetways For Regional Jets?

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:49 am

Remember a few years ago when all "commuter" or "regional" flights were on turboprops? It seems that those turboprop aircraft got a bad rap for various reasons. Along came Regional Jets and so many airlines bought them and "upgraded" lots of flights to use these new "darlings". They seem to have forgotten one thing: many or all jetways don't fit these little beasts! One of the drugeries of taking a regional flight is having to walk on the airport tarmac in all sorts of weather and for possibly long distances to board the aircraft.

I've always shunned flights on regional jets for many reasons such as: no jetways; little headroom/standing room; perceived lack of baggage space for international travels; lack of carry-on luggage space and mainly because these aircraft aren't usually flown by the "mainline" carrier painted on the fuselage, but rather by a subsidiary or contracted firm.

I'm interested to hear what airports and/or airlines have made some jetway accomodations for regional jets and to hear what others think of this topic in general.

Looking forward to the discussion,
MitchellT

dmt52

RE: Jetways For Regional Jets?

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:51 am

NW has jetways for all of its regional jets at DTW.
Go Green! Go White!

PVD757

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:53 am

Jetbridges can be modified for use with regional jets, or like AE, they can buy jetbridges specifically for RJ use. The airline would just have to spend the money to make it more convenient for the passenger.

docchaos

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:13 am

This is just a snapshot from the view of the pushback driver.
Ahead, a CRJ, to the right, a Jetway.

DocChaos

planemannyc

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:21 am

EWR is a huge base for Continental Express, and Terminal C has many jetbridges fitted for RJs. I believe IAD has similar jetbridges for CO flights.

At Halifax, where the cold weather is a factor, there are covered walkways to the tarmac that shorten exporsure on the tarmac.

In the US, I believe that it is primarily the airlines that decides whether the cost is worth the benefit.

Best,

Wasim / Planemannyc

mikephotos

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:33 am

Quoting Teixeim (Thread starter):
I've always shunned flights on regional jets for many reasons such as: no jetways; little headroom/standing room; perceived lack of baggage space for international travels; lack of carry-on luggage space and mainly because these aircraft aren't usually flown by the "mainline" carrier painted on the fuselage, but rather by a subsidiary or contracted firm.

Funny, I actually would rather have "no jetways". I love flying into LGB or NAS on Jetblue and walking down steps onto the ramp. Sure beats boring jetways  

THere are plenty of airports that have gates/jetways for RJ's. They even had jetways for the turboprops.

I believe the United Express ERJ-145's at EWR use jetways (as well as the previously mentioned CO ExpressJets:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

Mike

[Edited 2006-06-05 19:39:42]

teixeim

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:35 am

Thanks to all who have replied!

Looking at the photo Dr. Chaos posted above, what happens with the little stairway? Is there a flap in the jetway that covers the gap left by the stairway?

deltairlines

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:37 am

MHT has jetways for all Continental Express flights, all US Airways Express jets (the Dashs/Saabs/Beechs to LGA are all ground-loaded), United Express flights and some Delta Connection flights (they will use a jetway if available, but in the mornings for example when there are 2 flights within 15 minutes, one flight gets the jetway and the other is ground-loaded). At GSO, Delta Connection uses jetways for CRJs (Chautauqua ERJs are ground-loaded), Northwest for their CRJs, Continentel for their ERJs and American for their ERJs. US Airways and United ground-load for their Express flights.

Jeff

phelpsie87

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:41 am

Quoting Teixeim (Reply 6):
Is there a flap in the jetway that covers the gap left by the stairway?

There is a little bridge that is in the jetway. It is not attached to anything but the ground crew just slides it into place when the door opens. I fly on CRJ's a lot (DEN-FAR) and I actually prefer getting on the aircraft in Denver without a jetway. Its kinda fun walking next a CRJ.

b6sea

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:42 am

The CRJs use jetways when flying for DL in ATL and DAB

-Chans

FATFlyer

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:54 am

Jetway use for CRJs/ERJs exists at lots of airports, mainly because you cannot continue to ignore such a large fleet.

FAT built their terminal expansion planning for jetway use by RJs.

Here is a shot from TRI. It does take a bridge to cover the gap over the stairs.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jonathan Derden - Spot This!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

ABQopsHP

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:55 am

Passengers seem to get a kick out of walking across the ramp and boarding via stairs, even in bad weather. It adds something to the trip, than sterile jetways.
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

lincoln

Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:02 am

I'm interested to hear what airports and/or airlines have made some jetway accomodations for regional jets and to hear what others think of this topic in general.

Just off the top of my head:

Cleveland, OH - CLE - For Continental Express - All of the jetways on the D concourse (about 1/2 of the gates), as well as C1 and C2, IIRC
Detroit, MI - DTW - All C concourse gates
Pellston, MI - PLN - All gates (both of them)
Atlanta, GA - ATL - Can't tell you which gates, but I've boarded a RJ via a jetway
Newark, NJ - EWR - C-concourse
Ontario, CA - ONT - Terminal 2 (CO Express)
And I'm not positive, but I though...
Covington, KY - CVG - All gates on RJ terminal

One of the drugeries of taking a regional flight is having to walk on the airport tarmac in all sorts of weather and for possibly long distances to board the aircraft.

I kind of prefer walking across the ramp myself... rarely happens anymore, though.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

teixeim

Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:41 am

Now that we have young kids with associated acoutrements/carry-ons, etc. - a walk across the tarmac may as well be a walk down the plank!

Now... if I were traveling alone....!  Smile

kcrwflyer

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:03 am

Everyone at CRW uses jetways on their erjs and crjs. NW even uses theirs on a saab.

CWAFlyer

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:05 am

Walking across the ramp is okay unless you have to walk down the
dirty stairways in ORD and go thru the obstacle course of ground
equipment and construction barricades. I heard a speech by Mike
Boyd once that said the UAX gates in ORD are akin to the last
flights out of Saigon.

desertjets

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:31 am

At hub airports it really varies. Some airlines have done a pretty good job of handling the large number of RJs. CO at EWR (C-2 concourse) and US at PHL (F terminal) both come to mind, with only Terminal F at PHL being a new facility.

At IAD on the D concourse it is so so. Bascally 4-5 RJs squeeze up to a gate. You walk down the jetway then down a staircase and get pointed to whichever jet your supposed to get on. At DCA US still remote parks all the ERJ/CRJ aircraft and shuttles you to the terminal. You are still somewhat exposed, but it minimized.

I've never seen the lack of baggage space to be a problem. They can probably fit more stuff in the hold than we can imagine. And as for carry on bags, being able to gate check stuff is actually nice. Don't have the schlep my roll-aboard into the overhead or squeeze it between the seats.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

kaniksu

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:38 am

I love walking to the plane on the ground. My local airport has only one jetway and 9/10 I do not use it. It's fun seeing the planes up close with the noise, smells, etc... You get to see everything. Plus... sometimes the jetways are extremely long and steep and it's not fun.

Cory6188

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:39 am

I've been on CO ERJs into BOS, DCA, IAD, and EWR, and we used a jetway every time. EWR actually had these neat jetways for the RJ's where you walked about halfway down and then it split into two hallways. There was a dry erase board at the split with arrows pointing to each city. I guess that they can fit two RJs in the same space as a mainline airplane, so props to them for using the space as best they can.

Cubsrule

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:44 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 12):
Covington, KY - CVG - All gates on RJ terminal

CVG has no jetways for RJs, at least not at C. EV uses A, where there are jetways (not sure if they use them)

A lot of 9E jetways are really nice, with both a lift for gate-checked luggage (it pops up into the jetway on the same cart they use to wheel it around to the bin) and an automatic ramp to the CRJ door.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

PanAm747

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:07 am

The new BFL terminal has three jetways - one for CO Express (EMB145), one for Delta Express (CRJ200), and one for USAirways/America West Express (CRJ700). I would imagine all three jetways are suitable for mainline equipment, although only Continental would consider that.

SAN's jetbridges are changeable to accomodate different equipment. I have boarded America West 757's, A320's, A319's, and CRJ's all through the same gate. Walking onto the CRJ via the "bridge" was more like walking the plank, but I liked it!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

FutureFO

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:11 am

We use A at CVG as well and there are no DL RJ's that get hooked up to the jetways. C concourse has no jetways whatsoever. FWA we get a jetway and in MSP every plane is connected to a jetway, even the SF3's.

Sean
I Don't know where I am anymore

docchaos

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:19 am

We use a product like this one...
http://www.adaptive-gse.com/express-mobile.html
The one in the link is a bit newer, but the same model.

DocChaos

DIA

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:25 am

I just flew in on a NWA Express carrier's CRJ-200 into Denver last week from MEM. We deplaned on an airbridge that used a small (uncovered) bridge for the gap that the a/c stairs create. Seemed shabby but it got the job done.
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

san747

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:06 am

I know the ERJ-135s that AA uses on SJC-SAN use SAN's Terminal 2 and jetways. Also, last summer, when flying QX from ONT to PDX, we boarded via a jetway...
Scotty doesn't know...

mtnwest1979

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:19 am

In BOI, Gates 10 (UA),14(F9),16(NW),18(US),19(WN/UA),20(DL), and 21(UA) have all had both mainline jets as well as rjs parked there utilizing the jetway. Usually with the small roll up ramp to cover gap between jetway and a/c floor.

Gates 15 and 17 are WN gates, but I would assume both are rj capable.
Gate 11 is the old style pedestal jetway, so it does not extend out to where the incline would not be very extreme. But I wish UA would have this one changed as they did for 10 not too long ago.

Ground level gates (1-8) are used here by Horizon, Big Sky, Continental Express, and Alaska's flights.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

twal1011727

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:10 am

Quoting B6sea (Reply 9):
The CRJs use jetways when flying for DL in ATL and DAB

The older jetbridges have to use a metal ramp that spans the gap.

The new style jetbridges we have in MLB have a moving floor cutout that goes around the CRJ top step. This allows the jetbridge to get closer so the canopy can come down protecting the pax and the front entry area from the elements.

Sorry no pics.

KD MLB

CIDFlyer

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:32 am

Quoting Dmt52 (Reply 1):
NW has jetways for all of its regional jets at DTW.

NW also uses jetbridges for all CRJ/ARJ/SF3 aircraft at MSP, and uses jet bridges for all the CRJ's at MEM

also, AAEagle at ORD uses jet bridges for all ERJ flights

SLUAviator

Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:26 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 16):
I've never seen the lack of baggage space to be a problem. They can probably fit more stuff in the hold than we can imagine.

Hell yes the rampers can. In my time loading God knows how many hundreds of CRJ flights, the only flight I ever consistently had problems getting all the bags on was ORD-MYR. There is not a lot you can do when the flight is 80+ bags with 40-45 golf bags. Load the golf bags, stuff as much as you can around the pile and send the rest back to the bag room.

The best I ever loaded on a CRJ-200 going to MYR was 75 bags + 2 carry-on's. The best ever was 88 bags, 10 carry-on's 2 guitars and 2 strollers. Even with 50 people the plane sat tail heavy.

Fitting tons of stuff into the pit of an RJ all depends on the quality of the team on the ramp. The guys outside need to know how the guy inside likes to stack and send him the right sized bags at the right time. If they do that, you can put a ton of stuff in the planes.
What do I know? I just fly 'em.......

FCYTravis

Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:19 pm

Elmira/Corning Regional has a pair of RJ-specific jetways, one used by NWA Airlink/Pinnacle and the other by US Airways Express/Air Wisconsin.

There are also RJ-specific jetways at PHL's Terminal F and CLT's Concourse E.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

HanginOut

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:23 pm

They have jetways for RJs at YOW.
Dreaming of the day I can work for an airline

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos