mrstl

JetBlue To Start JFK-BNA

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:26 pm

atrude777

RE: JetBlue To Start JFK-BNA

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:34 pm

Getting closer to STL....  stirthepot 

Congrats to BNA, it is only a 2hr and a half drive from me, if they don't come to STL anytime soon I might consider them out.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

FA4B6

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:37 pm

I am SO excited about this announcement! I can't wait. I think BNA will be very successful for B6.
"Leap! And the net will appear."

spartanmjf

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:55 pm

B6 laying down the gauntlet in BNA - I am sure that WN will welcome them with open arms......

So much for controlling expansion to emphasize profitability?

box 
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

lightsaber
Crew

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:21 pm

I like how B6 is finally filling in their route map. However, I expected something more in the midwest's industrial belt.

Any rumors on DTW or ORD? Or has B6 been locked out on gates?

Quoting Spartanmjf (Reply 3):
B6 laying down the gauntlet in BNA - I am sure that WN will welcome them with open arms......

It doesn't matter... WN doesn't compete for the main NYC market. Yes, they will compete head to head for Long Island. I'll admit that B6 will have limited expansion from BNA.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

EMBQA

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:32 pm

I'm excited. With jetBlue now having started service to PWM I can now run up to see my Mom in Maine. I may even book on the first flight as early Sept is the normal time I go to visit.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

flyCMH

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:52 pm

Nashville will add to jetBlue's growing list of destinations that were once strong performers for Independence Air. With the announcement of BNA, they have most of FLYi's best southern locales covered. However SAV and the three major South Carolina markets of Greensville/Spartanburg, Columbia, and Charleston were good markets for Independence as well, so maybe there's the off chance that one or two of them could be next to see jetBlue.

JetBlueGuy2006

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:00 pm

What about Michigan in the Midwest. I think they could be very successful considering a lot of people are looking for a great alternative to NW. Lower fares and great service. Come on B6
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

rjpieces

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting Spartanmjf (Reply 3):
So much for controlling expansion to emphasize profitability?

Indeed...I really believe it's time for B6 to slow down on opening new stations and focus on connecting the dots, especially now that they have the 190s which are perfect for such flights. That way they'll get the best bang for their buck with already existing stations/gates.

JFK is just about at capacity for B6 right now...I just don't understand why they are adding more and more flights at JFK when they can't handle it right now.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 5):
I'm excited. With jetBlue now having started service to PWM I can now run up to see my Mom in Maine. I may even book on the first flight as early Sept is the normal time I go to visit.

I'm happy for you because I know how great it is to have a lowfare option on a route you often fly...But this also concerns me. I suppose connecting passengers are inevitable, but B6 should try to minimize it.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Cubsrule

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:30 pm

I wonder if B6 might have some success with BOS-BNA in the not so distant future. The only competition would be a lone OH flight, whereas in NYC there is a lone OH flight (again) but in addition there are 3 AA mainline flights and 5 CO (Express) flights. There's not as much O&D, but with low fares, I think B6 could stimulate some.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

flymia

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:59 pm

I don't get it. Not long after jetBlue talks about how they are going to slow down expanding a bit, they keep announcing new stations. And I know for a fact there are at least two more to be announced by summer's end. They need to stick with a plan.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

rjpieces

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:01 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 10):
And I know for a fact there are at least two more to be announced by summer's end.

Source?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

luv2fly

Well good for them, though to start it is only three flights in each direction to start. And if using the 190's that is only 300 seats in each direction. No mention that I saw of what fleet type would operate this route.
You can cut the irony with a knife

spartanmjf

They need to stick with a plan.

Maybe they are following the decision-making paradigm established by Airbus with the A350/A350RN/A350RRN [Really, Really New]/A370.

duck 
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

rjpieces

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:03 am

Quoting Spartanmjf (Reply 13):
Maybe they are following the decision-making paradigm established by Airbus with the A350/A350RN/A350RRN [Really, Really New]/A370.

HAHA  Smile

akjetBlue

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 8):
Indeed...I really believe it's time for B6 to slow down on opening new stations and focus on connecting the dots, especially now that they have the 190s which are perfect for such flights. That way they'll get the best bang for their buck with already existing stations/gates.

JFK is just about at capacity for B6 right now...I just don't understand why they are adding more and more flights at JFK when they can't handle it right now.

There is so much more that goes into “connecting the dots” than I think you realize. You can send an aircraft only so far before it needs to be provisioned again. Most of our stations only have a few flights a day and it’s just not economical to add provisioning until you have a double digit amount of flights. Only a few of our cities have provisioning so currently there are a limited number of “connecting the dots” that can currently be done.

As for JFK - what are you talking about JFK not being able to handle more capacity? We just added the new temporary gate building in front of T5. We can handle about 30-40 more flights a day thanks to this addition!
Save a horse! Ride a Cowboy!

EMBQA

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:07 am

They need to stick with a plan.

They're sticking to the plan. The cut backs announced were for new cities ABOVE those already scheduled. Nashville has been on the planned city list since before the first jetBlue plane ever took to the sky.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

rjpieces

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:12 am

Quoting AkjetBlue (Reply 15):
As for JFK - what are you talking about JFK not being able to handle more capacity? We just added the new temporary gate building in front of T5. We can handle about 30-40 more flights a day thanks to this addition!

If you consider boarding a shuttle bus part of the jetBlue experience...jetBlue is busting from the seams at T6. You already have a minioperation going on at T4...It's time to slow down at JFK until the new terminal is opened.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 16):
They're sticking to the plan. The cut backs announced were for new cities ABOVE those already scheduled. Nashville has been on the planned city list since before the first jetBlue plane ever took to the sky.

LGA and EWR too, right?

airmailer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 8):

I think that B6 has to start developing the 'more capacity' now so that they have it for when they move back into their old/new/overhauled terminal.

InTheSky74

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:26 am

JetBlue still has new planes coming on line this year - they need to use them. They are not cutting back deliveries of E190's.... and they don't cut back their A320 deliveries until next year.

They are making SMART decisions only going into shorter haul markets now. That is part of their Return To Profitability plan.

I think that BNA was a very smart decision for them.

Rob

lowecur

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:30 am

Jetblue's expansion is limited by slowing down 320 deliveries or outright selling them, not opening new cities. The 190 is an economically superior a/c as a traffic stimulator for new stations, and Neeleman has already said 2006 would see more new stations than the 10 originally announced. He is doing what he said they will do, and I expect at least another 5 new stations over the original 10 by year-end.

Connecting the dots will happen, but they need a midwest hub for that to be more viable. Analysts are on UALs case about a further reduction of domestic capacity. ORD could open up quite a few gates if that happens, especially if the Chicago airport authority enforces the "cross default" clause in the bond issue. UAL for it's part is threatening to relocate corp headquarters. Stay tuned as this may be what B6 is looking for.

airmailer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:43 am

Quoting InTheSky74 (Reply 19):
I think that BNA was a very smart decision for them.

I concur.
Short flights with smaller aircraft means less fuel gets burned, less seats have to be sold at a bargain basement price to fill the plane.

luv2fly

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 7):
What about Michigan in the Midwest. I think they could be very successful considering a lot of people are looking for a great alternative to NW. Lower fares and great service. Come on B6

DTW has a slew of LCC's that offer service.

InTheSky74

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:52 am

Yeah, as long as Spirit is around, I don't think you'll see JetBlue in DTW.

Rob

ScottB

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:59 am

Nashville has been on the planned city list since before the first jetBlue plane ever took to the sky.

That planned city list from back in 1999 has virtually no connection with reality. Were SEA, PDX, SMF, SJC, OAK, LGB, BUR, SAN, DEN, LAS, ONT, SJU, SDQ, AUA, NAS, PSE, or BQN on that list? Adjusting the business plan in response to opportunities makes sense, but justifying a new route based on a seven-year-old plan is ludicrous.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 9):
I wonder if B6 might have some success with BOS-BNA in the not so distant future. The only competition would be a lone OH flight

I was surprised to not see BOS-BNA, but from looking at the fare data, BOS-BNA traffic is weak in spite of relatively modest average fares (30% lower than NYC-BNA on a longer stage length). WN siphons off quite a bit of that traffic at PVD and MHT with average fares that run around 20% lower to BNA; both have stronger traffic to BNA than BOS does. I did not realize that AA had abandoned BOS-BNA service, but I'm not surprised, either. There's much more room for B6 to lower fares to Nashville from JFK than there is from BOS.

luv2fly

Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:01 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 24):
That planned city list from back in 1999 has virtually no connection with reality. Were SEA, PDX, SMF, SJC, OAK, LGB, BUR, SAN, DEN, LAS, ONT, SJU, SDQ, AUA, NAS, PSE, or BQN on that list? Adjusting the business plan in response to opportunities makes sense, but justifying a new route based on a seven-year-old plan is ludicrous.

I have to agree here as well.

EMBQA

Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:14 am

I was surprised to not see BOS-BNA

Eagle did it a few years back with an E135. It's a tough call for B6. JFK offers better connections into their system and I don't think you get a lot of direct BOS-BNA traffic.

Funny thing.. when I book this trip I'll fly a E190 from BNA to JFK, and a A320 from JFK to PWM.... kinda backwards..?

kcrwflyer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:15 am

Nashville has been on the planned city list since before the first jetBlue plane ever took to the sky.

I thought that list was no longer valid due to the size of certain cities on it.

Quoting Lowecur (Reply 20):
He is doing what he said they will do, and I expect at least another 5 new stations over the original 10 by year-end.

Do you think they'll expand more on the East coast?

I agree with those of you that said the shorter routes will be good for Jetblue. Im glad theyre starting to go into mid sized markets.

rjpieces

Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:20 am

but justifying a new route based on a seven-year-old plan is ludicrous.

Especially considering how many times B6 has deviated from their original business model...One can easily argue that B6 has problems today because they seriously deviated from their business model several times.

Southwest on the other hand has only tweaked with their business model once or twice in thirty years.

FWAERJ

Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:52 am

I was glad to hear this, as I have some longtime friends who live near BNA.

One of them flies often to the NYC area and to CLT (home of one of his customers), which means flying US. He hates US's sky-high fares and bad service (his opinion). He also hates the fact that US was kicked out of AmEx Membership Rewards (AmEx is his card of choice, and he does NOT want a US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard).

So, to avoid US, he often flies WN from BNA to RDU and rents a car to get to CLT. He saves a bunch of money that way and gets to redeem his AmEx points, too. But, now that B6 will fly to both CLT and BNA, he could just fly B6 from BNA-JFK-CLT, enjoy the DirecTV and XM radio, and not have to put up with US.

Now: when will B6 serve an actual Midwestern destination? I've been waiting for B6 to enter the Midwest for over 6 years. In the words of B6's old slogan, we like you, too... we just can't experience you yet.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

ScottB

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:08 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 29):
But, now that B6 will fly to both CLT and BNA, he could just fly B6 from BNA-JFK-CLT

Uh, I guess he could, but it would take 6h35, 7h20, or 5h05 eastbound and 5h30, 8h05, or 9h15 westbound due to the schedules and the extreme backtracking. It's still a lot faster to just fly to RDU and drive to Charlotte. Heck, it's faster to drive the 400 miles in most cases.

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 27):

I think there will be quite a few new cities added with the E190 east of the Mississippi -- just look at high-fare markets from NYC with over 200 daily passengers and under 1000-1500 mile stage lengths.

skyyblue

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:41 am

Not long after jetBlue talks about how they are going to slow down expanding a bit, they keep announcing new stations

Newsflash - we will be opening more than the 10 cities originally planned in 06. Probably between 12-15.

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 17):
You already have a minioperation going on at T4...It's time to slow down at JFK until the new terminal is opened.

I would hardly call 4 flights to San Juan that carries mostly O&D traffic any kind of minioperation. The new terminal wont be done until 2009, three years with little /no growth at our main hub doesn't make sense to me.

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 27):

Most of our new flights are supposed to concentrate between the east coast and anywhere east of the Mississippi River.

jetbluefan1

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:26 am

It's nice to see this! I really was not expecting BNA so soon, but nevertheless, I think this will be a great route. There's hardly any competition and these fares will certainly stimulate traffic.

As far as the fares, $89-$299 should give B6 some really nice yields. JFK-BNA is about 740 miles, so I would have expected fares to be $79-$229, but if B6 can pull this off, then all the more power to them!

Interesting how B6 announced RDU, PIT, and now BNA with no BOS service. Slowing done there a bit?

JetBluefan1

ikramerica

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:35 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 5):
With jetBlue now having started service to PWM I can now run up to see my Mom in Maine.

Wow, before B6, there was no way to get to Maine from Nashville?!  Wink
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

kcrwflyer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 31):
Most of our new flights are supposed to concentrate between the east coast and anywhere east of the Mississippi River.

Thats good news to me, however it seems like Jetblue likes markets that already have service to New York.

jetbluefan1

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 34):
however it seems like Jetblue likes markets that already have service to New York.

There aren't many that don't!

JetBluefan1

Jerseyguy

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:29 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 33):
Wow, before B6, there was no way to get to Maine from Nashville?!

Nothing civilized  Big grin
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

kcrwflyer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:33 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 35):

JetBluefan1

Interesting how that has worked out to say the least.

FWAERJ

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:13 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 35):

Well, the NYC area is FWA's #1 O&D destination by far, and there hasn't been nonstop service since American Eagle abruptly pulled their FWA-LGA flights in 2002 in favor of DFW.

Please, JetBlue... send one of your beautiful EMB-190s here soon... the market needs nonstop NYC service! (COEX to EWR would be fine, too. Anything's fine as long as we can get nonstop NYC service again.)
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

FA4B6

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:20 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 32):
Interesting how B6 announced RDU, PIT, and now BNA with no BOS service. Slowing done there a bit?

PIT was announced with JFK (4x a day PIT-JFK) and BOS service (2x a day PIT-BOS)
"Leap! And the net will appear."

N702ML

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:36 am

Several comments have been made about the original business plan of jetBlue. I thought this was interesting.

From an article in "The Dallas Morning News" on Sunday, January 16, 2000:

"Sky Scrapper: Start-up hopes to fly higher than model Southwest."

"Starting February 11, JetBlue Airways will offer low-fare service from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., followed by flights to Buffalo, NY on February 17. Service to 28 other destinations - chosen from a list of 44 areas that includes Dallas-Fort Worth - will be added over the next three years."

According to a map that is included in the article, the next 28 cities will be chosen from:

Salt Lake City
Denver
Minneapolis
Milwaukee
Chicago
Dallas
Houston
New Orleans
Grand Rapids
Flint
Indianapolis
Cincinnati
Dayton
Columbus
Cleveland
Akron
Louisville
Nashville
Boston
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington
Richmond
Norfolk
Raleigh
Greensboro
Charlotte
Columbia
Savannah
Jacksonville
Orlando
Tampa
Fort Myers
West Palm beach
Miami
Atlanta
Greenville
Charleston, WV
The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Southwest Airlines.

kcrwflyer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:02 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 38):
Well, the NYC area is FWA's #1 O&D destination by far, and there hasn't been nonstop service since American Eagle abruptly pulled their FWA-LGA flights in 2002 in favor of DFW.

Please, JetBlue... send one of your beautiful EMB-190s here soon... the market needs nonstop NYC service! (COEX to EWR would be fine, too. Anything's fine as long as we can get nonstop NYC service again.)

I've had the same dream as you for a while now. NYC is #2 for CRW with around 100 daily. Was FWA-LGA a very successful route?

CentPIT

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:24 am

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 39):
PIT was announced with JFK (4x a day PIT-JFK) and BOS service (2x a day PIT-BOS)

I was hoping someone would catch that error!

Great news for BNA, I would love to see twice daily PIT-BNA from B6. Pittsburgh has been without BNA for a while now!
Pittsburgh International: US Airways---160 daily departures! (52 destinations)

pwm2txlhopper

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:57 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 33):
Wow, before B6, there was no way to get to Maine from Nashville?!

Yes, it was possible to get to BNA from PWM before B6, but you couldn't usually get there (or anywhere else) economically, especially on short notice. To save several hundred dollars people such as myself and even business travellers here in Southern Maine have long driven, or taken the bus or train for two hours to Boston to access Logan airport where they can get a reasonable fare. A smaller number travel to MHT, which is also about two hours drive from PWM.

panam330

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:00 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 32):

PIT was announced with 2x daily E190 service.

Good to see them filling out that map of theirs. Now we just need STL, MSP and DFW and it'll look a little bit nicer.  Wink Did anyone else notice AUA on the map?

jetbluefan1

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:45 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 44):
PIT was announced with 2x daily E190 service.

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 39):

Mhmm...I know that. But it looks as if the last several destinations announced have not been linked to BOS. While PIT will have BOS service, CLT, RDU, JAX, AUA and now BNA will not. While I wouldn't expect non-stop service to AUA or even CLT because of US' large presence, I would have certainly expected RDU, JAX and BNA to be given at least some BOS service - even if just 2x on an E190.

I guess B6 wants to see how much connecting traffic via JFK it gets, which may be beneficial. However, AUS and RIC weren't launched that way.

jetBluefan1

CIDFlyer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:47 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 29):
when will B6 serve an actual Midwestern destination? I've been waiting for B6 to enter the Midwest for over 6 years. In the words of B6's old slogan, we like you, too... we just can't experience you yet.

Amen to that! I don't understand why an LCC has not come in to the midwest with full force yet. All the east and west coasts are saturated with them. The midwest is ripe for the picking. Look at the success AirTran has had in places like MLI (Moline/Quad Cities IA/IL) and BMI (Bloomington IL), and how G4 has been fairly successful with small to mid sized markets in the midwest connecting them to LAS and SFB. It would be great to see JetBlue take over concourse D in STL and start up a midwest hub to connect the midwest markets to larger destinations.

[Edited 2006-06-07 01:49:07]

luv2fly

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:49 am

Quoting CIDflyer (Reply 46):
It would be great to see JetBlue take over concourse D in STL and start up a midwest hub to connect the midwest markets to larger destinations.

The whole hub would have to be connecting traffic as the low O/D numbers.

mrstl

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:05 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 47):
The whole hub would have to be connecting traffic as the low O/D numbers.

15 million last year is nothing to sneeze at, may not be ORD, but B6 would do just fine in STL. AA is flying 75% + O&D customers out of here right now on 205 flights/day I am sure B6 could find a marketplace in STL fast.

ERJ170

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:10 am

I say Congradulations to BNA/Nashville and welcome to Kool-Aid country! I can't wait.. must get trip on B6 to experience it.
Aiming High and going far..