Koper
Topic Author

Stansted Is Not An Airport, It's A Cowhouse

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:00 pm

I want just to report the horrible experince i had the last week end. I've been with my wife to London for a saturday and a sunday and we found an excellent fare with Ryanair from Trieste.

Excellent flight and perfect on time but the mess it has been once arrived at Stansted airport. If airport it can be called.

Total chaos once arrived. The passport area is simply ridicolous with just 4 desks opened for the EU citizen and dozen of flights that arrive.. so be ready to wait at least 30 min! Thanks God the United Kingdom should be in the EU..

The other great news was the transportation to London that costed twice the ticket i payed from Trieste to London.. but the great thing it was the return flight. Just pay attention at the windows of the airport from outside.. from inside you risk do not even see the sun or the sky because they have probably never been cleaned.. and it's useless to comment how dirty it's just out of the entrances.

I understand that at Stansted since there are low cost carriers they probably don't pay that much attention on passengers, but the taxes we pay aren't much different from other airports.

It's really a bad pic of London that airport. Just not to mention how rude is the people at the check in or at the security gates.

[Edited 2006-06-07 16:01:40]

RJ100

RE: Stansted Is Not An Airport, It's A Cowhouse

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:08 pm

I made similar experiences just recently. Immigration is the biggest mess, way not enough personnel to handle all the pax.

As for train prices, yes, it is ridiculous, but it is out of control of the airport since trains are mainly privatized in Great Britain.

I for myself always fly to Luton therefore, since it is cheaper to go into London with one of the buses.

Regards,
RJ100
none

Koper
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that too the next time. Once at Stansted it was enough.

Anyway the prices of the trains in England i think are not justified for the service they offer and especially the local trains that are extremelly old.

ScottishLaddie

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:15 pm

Apart from the queues at passport control, and the walk to FR's pier, I think STN is a fairly pleasant airport to use.

Koper
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:18 pm

do you like to see the windows totally dirty?

kazzie

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 1):

I for myself always fly to Luton therefore, since it is cheaper to go into London with one of the buses.

good Boy  Silly

Transport to London from LTN is great, there is a Coach ever 30 mins or so, a Direct train, and its fairly cheap....

I asked for a fair on LTN-LGW RTN... £21... Not bad for distance  Smile
Bazinga punk.

mhodgson

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:32 pm

I quite like STN - the main terminal is quite impressive, and allows plenty of light in, as does the international pier. I'm not so keen on the domestic departures pier, which is a lot more dull and has very few facilities.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Koper
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:35 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 6):
plenty of light in

If they clean the windows..   

[Edited 2006-06-07 16:35:51]

Alias1024

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:41 pm

Your experience reminds me of Gatwick. Flew in there on EasyJet, walked through a disgusting concourse, only to get to passport control and wait an hour. Impossible to believe I had to wait in line for an hour to answer 3 questions and get a stamp.

After that I went to the incredibly cramped and overcrowded baggage claim area, and searched all the carosels for my bag, because there wasn't any sign to tell me which one the flight had been on. Maybe my flight was posted an hour earlier, but not now. After wandering around for about 15 minutes, I found my bag sitting in the floor between two carosels . From there I walked to the packed terminal, got a ticket for the Gatwick Express, and got the hell out of there. Gatwick should be demolished, and a proper airport built in its place.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

mhodgson

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:44 pm

Quoting Koper (Reply 7):
If they clean the windows..

They have been OK when I've passed through, though the last time was in February!

Gatwick South terminal really is bad, though - particularly the domestic pier. Grotty and outdated!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Vasu

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:45 pm

Alias1024,

How long ago was your flight into LGW...?

The whole thing's really been modernised recently, and areas like the baggage claim are totally new (and bigger!)

antonovman

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:49 pm

"Impossible to believe I had to wait in line for an hour to answer 3 questions and get a stamp."
You should see what we have to go thru on entering the USA
a 1 hour wait is not bad at all, then to be grilled and treated like a criminal by surly fat rude immigration officers, after that,coming in to the UK seem like a breeze

amhilde

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:51 pm

LGW is very very cramped- I was there last year and the luggage area was under construction and seemed very rundown. Passport control there IS a madhouse- lines were stretching up the walkways.

STN is a lovely airport but.... Koper I think you learned the rule about budget airlines to London- always check if the price of the train with the price of the airfare is cheaper than a mainline carrier into LHR. Sometimes its worth the hassles, sometimes not.
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly

Koper
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:53 pm

Quoting Antonovman (Reply 11):
a 1 hour wait is not bad at all, then to be grilled and treated like a criminal by surly fat rude immigration officers, after that,coming in to the UK seem like a breeze

Absolutely not. When i flew from Milan to New York 20 days i waited no longer than 15 min at immigration office.

In Stansted it has been a real shame. 30 min for all the European Union flights and at the desk they asked if i had a valid passport because it seams they didn't recognize my Slovenian ID!

Vasu

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:55 pm

At MSE (in the days of EUjet) it only took 5 mins to go from aircraft seat to car seat! (no luggage of course... and a pretty-much empty fokker!)

keego

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:09 am

I was at STN yesterday and think it is a really nice airport. Its spacious, airy and the windows were spotless. the only thing I can say is they have more armed guards than passengers present which is very intimidating (police are unarmed in Ireland so were not used to seeing semi-automatic machiene guns in our faces at every corner) and I think they should drop the "London" from the name as it is surely not in London. An hour non-stop on a train from Liverpool St. was longer than my actual flight.
Other than that its a very pleasant airport!!

mhodgson

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting Vasu (Reply 14):
At MSE (in the days of EUjet) it only took 5 mins to go from aircraft seat to car seat! (no luggage of course... and a pretty-much empty fokker!)

I've managed that at MAN - though it was an ERJ arriving from the EU. I think I timed it at 4 minutes from leaving the aircraft, to being on the car park transfer bus!

Koper
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:11 am

If you were there yesterday the things are 2: Or you didn't pay attention at how dirty were the windows around the whole terminal.. or sorry.. that's normal for you.. Big grin Big grin Big grin

Koper
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:13 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 16):
I've managed that at MAN - though it was an ERJ arriving from the EU

mmm aren't you in the EU as well? Big grin

imatams

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:15 am

I visit STN quite frequently and on the whole I like it. Never noticed anything dirty. The only mayor problem I have encountered is the ridiculous wait for security at departures. But that's not really STN related. The capacity is there allright. I've seen the same thing happening at LHR and that is BAA choosing to use only half or less of the screening capacity while people while the wait is forever. Sent an email to BAA about this on several occasions involving STN and LHR. No reply obviously. Lets hope these -perhaps- new spanish owners of BAA add some chapters to the manual, such as costumer friendliness, caring about passengers, not just retail etc....But on the whole nothing wrong with stansted, getting but small perhaps. remember STN as an old shack.. Then they built the current complex and it seemed huge and way to ambitious. Well see what can happen!!

IM

ScottishLaddie

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:03 am

Quoting Koper (Reply 4):
do you like to see the windows totally dirty?

While they are not spotless, they're not so bad that you can't see out of them.

DC10Widebody

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:07 am

I found STN a really pleasant airport, although I did not fly into it, I just flew out of it on KLM, STN-AMS. But I thought it was very bright and airy, nice shops but no bar that I could find around the KLM area  Sad.
Cheers thanks a lot.

BBJII

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:08 am

That COWSHED you talk of, is my 2nd favourite airport, after LCY.

The dirty windows....it's called tinted glass.

STN has a team of window cleaners who work Mon-Fri 6am to 6pm in all weather cleaning the windows....so if there were dirty, there would have cleaned pretty quick.

4 immigration officer....not bad compared to LHR or LGW on a weekend.
Bear in mind most flights to STN are from winthin the EU, so there's hardly many Visa/Passport checks that are indepth and need to be closely looked at.

wave 
Remember: The Bird Hit You, You Didn't Hit The Bird.....

Koper
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:11 am

Quoting BBJII (Reply 22):
The dirty windows....it's called tinted glass.

It depends by how a person is able to see. If you exchange 10 cm of dust with the tinted glass and you love to look at them.. well it's up to you. I just hope that kind of 'dusty' glass aren't like your home windows..  Wink

richardw

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:23 am

If you wanted to land at a pleasant London airport you should have booked a flight to LCY.

MichiganMAN

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 8):
Impossible to believe I had to wait in line for an hour to answer 3 questions and get a stamp.

that quote so makes me think of EWR for all the Non US Citizens trying to get into the USA.
UK -> USA

BBJII

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting Koper (Reply 23):

Sorry to be so Defiant, but how'd you know it was 10cm of dust?

If you looked closer, maybe yopu see it was Jetblast dirt and grit, as seen as 99% of the worlds airports.

My windows are nice and Jet-A'd from the LCY flights.
There also tinted and cleaned every 10 days, due to the Jet-A and Jet blast dirt and grit.

But if you say it WAS 10cm of dirt, then you'd better pass that on to BAA, as the will want to speakto the window cleaners.

wave 
Remember: The Bird Hit You, You Didn't Hit The Bird.....

Koper
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:32 am

Quoting BBJII (Reply 26):
If you looked closer, maybe yopu see it was Jetblast dirt and grit, as seen as 99% of the worlds airports

Just look at the entrance where all the people smoke what it is.. and you will see.  Wink

Joost

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:37 am

Quoting DC10Widebody (Reply 21):
I found STN a really pleasant airport, although I did not fly into it, I just flew out of it on KLM, STN-AMS.

KLM does not fly STN-AMS. KLM UK did in the past, but that's already a long time ago - I don't remember it, must be over 5 years ago.

amhilde

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:01 am

Seriously, you judge an airport on the cleanliness of its WINDOWS? Sheesh- who cares? On the balance its a great airport.
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly

YYZYYT

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:18 am

Quoting Antonovman (Reply 11):
"Impossible to believe I had to wait in line for an hour to answer 3 questions and get a stamp."

that's not unusual:
at LHR, non-EU can wait for a long time (depending on your the time of day and no. of flights, not to mention who is on them). Also had bad lines at CUN, and YYZ... not to mention clearing US customs at YYZ (only did it once: mid day on a Thursday, had a 50 minute wait before we were hauled out of the line and sent to the special window on account of the two kids in strollers).

That said, were the lines long at European arrivals only, or all international? Am flying there in a few weeks from YYZ.

Quoting DC10Widebody (Reply 21):
but no bar that I could find around the KLM area

OK, now THAT's outrageous!!

ba757gla

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:16 am

trains in the uk are very expensive so no wonder you paid over the odds.

rdwootty

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:45 am

I cannot understand why you took the train when the bus is not only about half the price but actually quicker to where you want to go. There are even buses direct to hotel drop offs .Skip the train and get the bus.In actual fact the most frequent bus is Terravison from ITALY

Koper
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:03 am

I agree that probably the bus is better.

FlyCaledonian

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:05 am

Can't understand why you had to wait so long. I thought we had a gaint doormat at all our airports with WELCOME written on it, and officials handing out forms on how to claim asylum and benefits. If you did have to wait while checks were being done sounds like someone in Immigration knows how to do their job!

I don't believe STN was as bad as you made out. 10cm of dirt? Yeah, right, so a dirt layer ten times thicker than the glass? Sure you weren't looking at a wall?

As for the train fares, £25 for an open return isn't bad (Valid for a journey returning in a month) given the distance you'd be travelling. Or as others said, RESEARCH in future so you can work out total trip costs, not just thinking "well I'll fly to this airport for this much" and then been shocked about the cost of onward travel.

All in all, I take it we won't be seeing you back? Shame
Let's Go British Caledonian!

Koper
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:13 am

Just go and see by yourself.

By the way i don't see the reason you are in the EU since you are the only EU country with the immigration desks for people coming from other EU countries.

FlyCaledonian

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:22 am

Quoting Koper (Reply 35):
By the way i don't see the reason you are in the EU since you are the only EU country with the immigration desks for people coming from other EU countries.

Maybe because we like to try and pretend we have some control over our Borders? We have large numbers of people coming from the Eastern EU member states to work in this country, but unfortunately nobody in Government seems to know how many. That's how many have come in total, how many have left, how many are now here illeagally, claiming benefits, etc. Also, if someone is given asylum in an EU country they can travel to other EU member states. Funnily enough, the UK seems to be a popular destination for quite a few of those people.

In today's world I certainly don't think we should have an open door here. It's sad that as an island we can't control better those coming here. If we did then maybe those who genuinely want asylum, or to come and work here legally, would be able to do so without being tarred with the "illegal immigrant" brush.

Anyway, I've been to Italy and had my details checked, same in Spain, Belgium and The Czech Republic. Indeed, I had to wait over an hour to get through immigration at Prague airport. So it's not just the UK that does immigration checks.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

prebennorholm

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:47 am

i don't see the reason you are in the EU since you are the only EU country with the immigration desks for people coming from other EU countries.

Dear Koper, you are confusing the EU with the Schengen area.

Within the Schengen area there is no immigration control. The Schengen area is 13 EU countries plus Norway and Iceland. The UK and 11 more EU countries are not Schengen countries.

Next country to by accepted into the Schengen area will probably be Switzerland, a non-EU country.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

planesarecool

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:03 am

I must say, the railway links in and out of Stansted is far from great. However i found it was a pretty nice airport to fly from. Very bright, everywhere in the terminal. I've never flown into STN, so i can't comment on the arrivals area.

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 9):
Gatwick South terminal really is bad, though - particularly the domestic pier. Grotty and outdated!

Got to agree about the domestic pier. Gate 1,2 and 3 are ok, but the rest of the pier is awful.

Quoting Vasu (Reply 14):

I've done similar at Luton. A full 2 minutes and 27 seconds after leaving my seat on my EZY B737-700 i was on the shuttle bus to the station. Although it did take a further 20 minutes before i actually got on the train.

Vasu

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:24 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 38):
Got to agree about the domestic pier. Gate 1,2 and 3 are ok, but the rest of the pier is awful.

Which pier is the domestic pier? The little one to the left of the main one? I thought that was primarily an EZY pier now...

DC10Widebody

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:42 am

Quoting Joost (Reply 28):
KLM does not fly STN-AMS. KLM UK did in the past, but that's already a long time ago - I don't remember it, must be over 5 years ago.

Thank you, it was a KLM UK flight STN-AMS in August of 2000, very pleasant short hop with free beer  Smile.
Cheers thanks a lot.

NZ8800

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:32 am

Until fairly shortly, Switzerland does too  Smile As Prebonnerholm said, the EU and Schengen are different things. Ireland is also outside the Schengen Zone, and there are many others.

The UK has its own Schengen type system called the Common Travel Area, which includes the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands. However, each member of the CTA maintains its own border contols for entry to this area (eg Jersey - France, Ireland - USA), just like each member of the Schengen Treaty does. However, the CTA is much older than Schengen, beginning in 1922 with the establishment of the Irish Free State.

Among other things, the UK is still free of rabies unlike the continent (correct me if this has unhappily changed); and that is but one reason to maintain border controls. Coming from a country with very, very strict biosecurity controls, I can relate!

But is it true that new EU members will also be expected to be members of the Schengen Treaty as well? Or is it more that many of them see it in their best interests to join it?

Sounds like Luton is the best one for low cost airfares combined with cheaper ground transport... but for me Heathrow will remain my entry point to the United Kingdom.

I was surprised though at Schengen border control - they looked at me once, the passport twice, stamped it, and waved me through. Not a word spoken.
MDZWTA ~ Mobile Disaster Zone When Travelling Abroad

Parabolica

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:08 am

I agree that there is NOTHING good to say about Sandtead, unless it is an exit point from the Uk. Dirty, distant, poorly organized and utterly provincial make it extremely expensive to travel in and out of.

Also I must agree, that even with what is probably the most unoffensive passport in the world (Canadian) it is pure bullsh*t to pass through customs there. I would rather have my eyelids pryed out with tweezers than fly through STD again. The transport connection (or lack thereof), rude and unprofessional staff etc. is an embarassment to the UK and the pretend Schengen Agreement to which the UK is a part of.

Regional airports need not be so poor, as witnessed by the many secondary Continental airports like GRO, Bergamo, etc.

P_
oh please let there never be cell phones in airliners...

Koper
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:32 pm

Quoting Parabolica (Reply 42):
Until fairly shortly, Switzerland does too As Prebonnerholm said, the EU and Schengen are different things. Ireland is also outside the Schengen Zone, and there are many others

Then it's useless, if not ridicolous, to make different desks with the written EU CITIZEN.  Wink

Joost

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:43 pm

Quoting NZ8800 (Reply 41):
But is it true that new EU members will also be expected to be members of the Schengen Treaty as well? Or is it more that many of them see it in their best interests to join it?

Yes. At the treaty of Amsterdam (1997) it was decided that future applicants to the European Union must fulfil the Schengen Agreement criteria regarding their external border policies in order to be accepted into the EU. ( source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement ). So the new 10 member states had to agree to work towards joining the Shengen area before the could join the EU. So all 10 other member states will join Shengen too.

Quoting Koper (Reply 43):
Then it's useless, if not ridicolous, to make different desks with the written EU CITIZEN.

No, it's not. Shengen or not, EU citizens are effectively always waived from visa requirements for stays less than 3 months. So, people holding EU travel documents usually don't need more than a few seconds attention at immigration desks - they only need to see if the passport is valid and if it's not a wanted criminial or such thing. They don't need to stamp passports, don't need many of the formalities that may be needed for non-EU citizens.

Though, in my own experiences, it sometimes can be way quiker to stand in a "all passports" line. I'v seen it several times that a few intra-EU flights came in at the same time and everybody rushed to the EU citizens desk, while the all passports desk was almost empty.

Koper
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:55 pm

About Schengen i think i can be one of the few members who can really say something since i live in Koper (Slovenia) at 5 km from the Italian border and i use at least to cross the border 3 or 4 times per week.

Until 2 years ago, when Slovenia wasn't an EU member state, the controls at the borders could have required (for the Slovenians to get in Italy) a bit longer but it was the same for the Italians and Germans who especially in summer season drive to Slovenia at thousands and thousands every day.

It is even a little city that since the WWII 2 it was devided in 2 a bit like Berlin and devided by a wall, Gorizia (in Italian) and Nova Gorica (in Slovenian).

Since the joining of Slovenia in the EU in 2004 that shameful wall has been removed and the city opened.

Of course there are still many controls at the borders (especially in the Italian border), but everything is fast also because of the many daily workers that go in Italy.

Next year Slovenia will join the € area and Schengen too.

[Edited 2006-06-08 09:57:28]

BAtriple7

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:07 pm

Quoting Parabolica (Reply 42):
I agree that there is NOTHING good to say about Sandtead, unless it is an exit point from the Uk. Dirty, distant, poorly organized and utterly provincial make it extremely expensive to travel in and out of.

Whilst I have had my fair share of stressful times at STN over the last 7-8 years or so, and being a frequent FR traveller from the start, I have to say that the airport is being maligned for very little reason. It is a modern airport which is much more spacious - or at least feels that way - than some of its other counterparts, especially LTN which is truly awful in design.

STN, furthermore, has good parking facilities, which is very good compared to LTN. If you've ever been to LTN to collect someone for an 11pm flight, you'll know what I mean.

Public trasport from STN IS expensive. But then again, transport to almost every airport in the UK is expensive - buses are almost monopolised by National Express, and charge an arm and a leg. Trains are expensive anyway in the UK. I am always surprised, travelling to Italy, Germany and France frequently, at how their airports' public transport connections are cheaper, more efficient and frequent, and often faster.

sergeant655

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:24 pm

STN is a nice airport athough they could turn the volume down on metal detector #9 . That thing is so loud you can hear it from the other end of the airport. Passport control is a breeze for non EU passports as most people using STN has a EU passport. The biggest line i have seen for the non EU side was 4 people deep and the EU side was packed. They could have had more officers on to keep that line short. The best are people arriving from Ireland. Ryanair instructs non EU passengers to fill out the usual forms for Passport control and then when you arrive at the airport there is a sign telling Passengers arriving from Ireland to follow the blue triangle and that route takes you around passport control. They could use a new concourse for domestic flights as the current one is stuffed below one of the international concourses.

gilesdavies

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:31 pm

Quoting BAtriple7 (Reply 46):
STN, furthermore, has good parking facilities, which is very good compared to LTN.

I agree STN has very good parking facilities but the "Pink Elephant"/Long Stay car park as it is called is miles away from the terminal! When I have got on the courtesy bus it is a good 10 minute drive to the terminal, once you have left the car park let alone going round all the stops.

Think they located the car park the other side of Essex!

Also is it me or does the Long Stay car park at STN seem to be the largest car park in the world? I have never known such a large car park, and always loose my car in there upon my return and spend 15 mins walking around tying to find it even if I get off at the right bus stop!

If you see a mad man walking around the car park at midnight trying to find his car it is likely to be me, finding my car!  Wink

If you want cheap parking at LTN, use Central Car Storage. They are a small private company and always offer excellent rates and if you call them from the baggage reclaim area you can more a less guarantee they will be waiting to pick you up as you exit the terminal!

Another option if you are only travelling for the day from Luton (for example a business trip up to Scotland), use the Railway Station car park and onyl pay £4 a day and use the courtesy bus from the station to the terminal.

HBJZA

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:39 pm

I don't want to be rude or whatsoever but for my point of view, everything in the UK is dirty from hotels to airports and all public areas.

Sorry again for all the brits but it's the image I have about UK...........must be because I'm from Switzerland, one of the cleanest country on earth