AerospaceFan
Topic Author

L.A. Police To Use "Nearly Invisible" Drones

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:21 am

The BBC reports that the Los Angeles Police Department plans to use model plane-sized surveillance aircraft to assist in its general duties. The planes are so small that they are nearly impossible to see from a typical distance.

These motorized, camera-equipped aircraft can be stored in a backpack and are launched by simply throwing them into the air.

See:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5051142.stm

It's all well and good that they want to use these tiny machines, but just wait until one crashes into a Hollywood limousine or, worse, is attacked by a local bird of prey. I can just imagine a couple of hawks tangling with one of these things during mating season!

[Edited 2006-06-07 19:31:16]
What's fair is fair.

DeltaSFO

RE: L.A. Police To Use "Nearly Invisible" Drones

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:07 am

Commander Heal is quick to point out that it is not their intention to launch 'big brother' style surveillance operations.

"There's no place in an urban environment that you can go to right now that you're not being looked at with a video camera and you have nothing to fear from your own government - you are being watched by your fellow citizens," he says.

That quote sounds like something straight out of a Soviet era news agency.
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:12 am

Quoting DeltaSFO (Reply 1):
That quote sounds like something straight out of a Soviet era news agency.

Yeah. I'm not hot on the idea that Big Government can see people wherever they may be in public, either. It's really sad that it's come to this.

I understand that in London, they have street-cameras everywhere -- the highest camera-per-capita ratio in the world.

And even our own Supreme Court has basically long held that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy while in public.

I guess I can see why the LAPD would want to reduce the usage of helicopters and deploy these flying surveillance cameras instead. I only hope that they will use them with discretion.

Can't wait to read what happens when the first mini-aircraft gets eaten by a ravenous hawk, though.

[Edited 2006-06-07 20:16:49]
What's fair is fair.

thomasphoto60

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting DeltaSFO (Reply 1):
you have nothing to fear from your own government - you are being watched by your fellow citizens,"

Indeed this statement sends some serious chills down my spine!

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

n9512c

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:48 am

Makes this country seem more like a war zone. Watching its people with uav's.....
Negative ghotsrider the pattern is full!

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:29 am

I don't think that these things will fly in rural areas -- literally. They're likely to be taken out by some kid with a glorified BB gun, or worse.

But you're right -- and it seems like we're almost headed toward a Robocop future. Mechanized policing. :Sigh:
What's fair is fair.

Coronado990

Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:56 am

Time to move out of the city folks...
Uncle SAN at your service!