phxplanes

Ground Stop In Phx

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:44 am

I was watching the news and they were talking to a sky harbor representative and they said PHX is under a ground stop due to bad weather. We are having high winds, dust, lightening and rain. She said the stop should last about an hour.

This isn't good news. Its going to be a mess tonight especially for US and WN.

If they post an article online I will post it here.

PDXflyer31

RE: Ground Stop In Phx

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:50 am

Is it monsoon season yet? Seems a bit early...

Bicoastal

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:51 am

Uh...the people at Dulles, Atlanta, Chicago, New York and any other place with high humidity and daily thunderstorms are probably laughing right now. They deal with ground stops sometimes daily during the summer.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

flyboy7974

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:05 am

yeah that's what i thought, I live in PRC just north of PHX, and if we have to read this every day through the summer when phx, which is one of the worse for having a cloud in the sky and going on a ground delay, then every day through monsoon season I am sure this post will pop up. Maybe this topic will compete with other topics that repeat almost every day, like "jetblue's next destination" or "ua/co merger" .

Traditionally monsoon season based on the moisture flow that comes up from Mexico and combines with the AZ heating which creates our heavy thunderstorm season doesnt start until mid July and lasts until early Sept. Yesterday, today and tomorrow though, comparable weather has been looming through AZ. Here in PRC last night, we did have a pretty nice late night thunderstorm about 11pm that lasted for an hour and the rain and wind to go with it

mtnwest1979

Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:25 am

Looking at various flights on flightaware, there were a lot of circuits flown over New Mexico tonight.
I see one WN diverted to TUS and Midwest went to IWA.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

IAHFLYR

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:01 pm

but no cactus flying around in that wind I hope!  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos