BALAX
Topic Author

Possible AA LAX International Routes?

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:39 pm

I remember when working for AA in the mid-90's, someone from management indicating that AA was very interested in routes from LAX to GRU, MEX and can't remember other ones, but those were the main ones. Now this was when AA was trying to do their first push at International flights from LAX (I was hired to cover some of these). Initial routes not counting LHR were(in order of start dates):

LAX-SJO(nonstop axed in the Summer of 95 then tagged to LAX-SAL)
LAX-SAL(became LAX-SAL-SJO later)
LAX-GUA(axed in fall of 95)
LAX-GDL(started as 3 or 4 flights a day, then cut to just 1 redeye and now completely gone)
LAX-ORY(transferred later to CDG)

Now LAX-SJO came back for 2 years in a row(2004 and 2005) but I don't see it on their winter schedule. With the situation that Varig is facing, I think there's a void for AA to start LAX-GRU nonstop as a tag on to their NRT flight. I mean using LAN thru LIM to get to GRU is not necessarily the most convenient way in terms of using One World. Any thoughts on potential AA LAX Intl routes? Maybe MAH can help on this?

LTU932

RE: Possible AA LAX International Routes?

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:43 pm

LAX-SJO is a seasonal flight that operates starting december. Maybe they just haven't updated the database yet. Personally I hope AA upgrades LAX-SJO to a year round service, even if not daily. Maybe this way they could fill the void that UA left after axing the GUA-SJO leg of their LAX-SJO flight.

MAH4546

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:45 pm

LAX-Brazil market is low-yield, and I don't think there will be major rush to fill it if Varig leaves. Besides, AA has no additional US-Brazil frequencies, and concentrates them out of their MIA/JFK/DFW operations.
a.

BALAX
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:46 pm

I forgot to add the routes that are still being flown:

LAX-LHR(2x Summer)
LAX-SJD(2x)
LAX-YYZ(used to be 2x in Summer)
LAX-NRT
LAX-SAL(restarted in 2004)

All others are codeshares.

hmmm..did I miss any?

bhxdtw

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:10 pm

Do they fly LAX into LHR ?
Also would a LAX MAN/BHX service be viable with a 767 or 777 ?

airxliban

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:19 pm

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 4):

Indeed they do, daily 777 year round with an extra daily flight in the summer.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

bhxdtw

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:42 pm

Thanks. how bout LGW ?

B742

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:27 pm

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 6):
Thanks. how bout LGW ?

Hi Joe, currently there are no LGW-LAX direct scheduled links from anyone!  Sad

I think MAN more so than BHX, although I would love BHX-LAX  Smile
I think there has been talk of west coast to MAN flights for a while now, I think FlyGlobespan is a possibilty, I don't think AA is intrested in LAX-MAN, I could be wrong though!

Rob!  wave 

DesertAir

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:14 pm

There was a lot of competition on the LAX-Central America Routes. United flew a daily flight LAX-GUA-SJO. I was on it once. Also, Aviateca flew daily, TACA and, I believe, LASCA, also had daily flights. Frequencies were added during the Christmas Season to accomodate family travel.

SeeTheWorld

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:17 pm

They did try for the LAX-MEX route last year but DOT awarded it to Alaska.

bhxdtw

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:20 pm

Quoting B742 (Reply 7):
I think MAN more so than BHX, although I would love BHX-LAX
I think there has been talk of west coast to MAN flights for a while now, I think FlyGlobespan is a possibilty, I don't think AA is intrested in LAX-MAN, I could be wrong though!

Heya Rob !! enjoying the weather ??
Yeah I know MAN has been after some long haul Westcoast services for a while n was thinking BMI would be the carrier for the job but alas no.
I think LAX to BHX would be quite a nice littel earner with a 767 for AA

Though I doubt if AA couldnt fill a 767 on the Chicago route then a LAX route would most likely also be out of the question... (siiiiiiigh)  Wink

gayrugbyman

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:25 pm

AA are apparently taking on more staff at MAN in order to increase their operations in to Manchester. Manchester is in desparate need of a west coast USA service, so maybe we will see at least a three times a week Los Angeles service? Would be great to fed in to other AA and QF services.

bhxdtw

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:03 pm

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Reply 11):
Would be great to fed in to other AA and QF services.

yeah could see this as being a 1 center break option...
people wanting to go to SYD/MEL but taking a break in LAX instead of the regular BKK/SIN stops..

Shame AA hasnt returned to BHX yet... would love to see them again even if its just a 757 daily winglet service.

KL808

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:14 pm

Quoting BALAX (Reply 3):
hmmm..did I miss any?

Dont forget that AA also flies LAX-SJU on the weekends with a 763.

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

BigGSFO

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:32 pm

There is chatter on this forum about AA applying for LAX-PEK or PVG during the next US/China bilaterals. In addition, many on A.net speculate AA would enter the LAX-KIX market if they had the aircraft. Maybe they would have a shot at Nagoya again if they had some Toyota business. I could see AA being more aggressive in the LAX-Asia marketplace if they had the aircraft.

However I would like AA to capitalize on their South American dominance and send a few 757's LAX-South America (LAX-BOG? LAX-LIM?). Of course the dream would be Sao Paulo but that's unlikely. This business is low-yield but I would think the cargo could add to the profitibility of the flights.

dartland

Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:00 pm

Indeed, TA flies from LAX to GUA, SAL, and SJO non-stop, sometimes with 2-flights depending on the season. Now with the AA/TA code-share ending, AA won't have access to these flights anymore, so it will be interesting to see if they pick up their own schedule to GUA/SJO....(they already serve SAL pretty well).

BALAX
Topic Author

Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:13 am

Like I said AA has been flying LAX-SJO the last 2 years on a seasonal basis, the question is , is it coming back this Winter? Also, LAX-SJU is not really an International route.

LAXintl

Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:20 am

LAX-SJO is a marginal route as it primarily has to rely on US tourist.

Unlike the remainder of Central America which have huge communities in LA, the Costa Rican one of the smaller groups leading to reduced demand for ethnic travel.

This is one reason UA dropped the SJO tag on its LAX-GUA flight as places like GUA, SAL have significantly more demand then SJO.

In addition TACA for the most part runs the smaller A319 on the nonstop SJO legs instead of the A320 as demand is simply less.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

MAH4546

Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting KL808 (Reply 13):
Quoting BALAX (Reply 3):
hmmm..did I miss any?

He didn't, since San Juan is domestic. The route is a now a 757, though.
a.

MGA

Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:01 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 17):
In addition TACA for the most part runs the smaller A319 on the nonstop SJO legs instead of the A320 as demand is simply less.

I think they run the A319 because they need the legs... Anyways, LR flies the LAX-GUA-SJO flight which carries the rest of the passangers to SJO. Thats why they eliminated the secon A319 run.

Quoting Dartland (Reply 15):
Indeed, TA flies from LAX to GUA, SAL, and SJO non-stop, sometimes with 2-flights depending on the season. Now with the AA/TA code-share ending, AA won't have access to these flights anymore, so it will be interesting to see if they pick up their own schedule to GUA/SJO....(they already serve SAL pretty well).

They also fly LAX-MGA on Mondays and Thursdays during high season. Will be interesting to see what AA does on the LAX- Central America market, but I doubt it will want to play to much with UA and TA, especially now that they are partners...

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

Humberside

Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 7):
I don't think AA is intrested in LAX-MAN, I could be wrong though!

I agree with you. If AA cant make MAN-MIA work with their MIA hub I dont see how they can make MAN-LAX work into a focus city that can offer far less connections, even with AS taken into account
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

gayrugbyman

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:24 am

Because nobody wants to fly from Manchester to Latin America or the southern USA, that's why! Whereas there is a demand for passengers to LAX and AUstralia and New ealand......simple!

Humberside

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Reply 21):
Because nobody wants to fly from Manchester to Latin America or the southern USA, that's why!

There has been some demand for MAN-MIA. Just low yielding cruise traffic

LAXintl

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:47 am

Whereas there is a demand for passengers to LAX

A LAX-MAN simply would not work, especially for an airline like AA.

Remember back that BA for several years tried a MAN-LAX service using a B763 with terrible results. There were many days in the winter that the aircraft would go out with mere 50-70 passengers.

While there might be a good deal of summer tourist demand to visit California, this is not something that will pay AA's bills. The route has minimal premium cabin demand which is the primary driver behind new routes AA would consider.

Keep in mind AA could not even make LAX-Paris work, I cant even begin to see how a LAX-MAN would ever work for them.

Now on the other hand, I'd venture to guess that BMI might have the best shot of running a MAN-LAX service then any other carrier at the moment.

MAH4546

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:55 am

Because nobody wants to fly from Manchester to Latin America or the southern USA, that's why! Whereas there is a demand for passengers to LAX and AUstralia and New ealand......simple!

And that explains why the flights averaged good load factors and Thomas Cook flies MIA-MAN?

There is plenty of demand, but not high-yielding enough for AA. MIA-MAN or LAX-MAN are perfect bmi routes, 2-3x a week.
a.

centrair

Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:06 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 14):
Maybe they would have a shot at Nagoya again if they had some Toyota business.

Totally. ORD-NGO was just not the best place to start. LAX-NGO would have been a much better option. There is a large Japanese population (not as big as SFO), trade partners, US ops for some Japanese companies, popular tourist destination, and it is Nagoya's sister city.

They could do KIX as well and then work with CX and JL to provide connecting flights onto other destinations in Asia. KIX needs something, its just bleeding.
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

Humberside

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:13 pm

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 23):
Now on the other hand, I'd venture to guess that BMI might have the best shot of running a MAN-LAX service then any other carrier at the moment.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):
MIA-MAN or LAX-MAN are perfect bmi routes, 2-3x a week.

bmi will not be expanding long haul at MAN. To be blunt, MAN-USA is a stopgap until they can fly LHR-USA. If there is EU-US open skies they will pull MAN'S long haul flights and move the aircraft to LHR as soon as they can

MAN-MIA and MAN-LAX would be perfect routes for FlyGlobespan however

DFW13L

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:24 pm

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Reply 11):
Manchester is in desparate need of a west coast USA service, so maybe we will see at least a three times a week Los Angeles service?

What about splitting a 767 between DFW and LAX. DFW-MAN 4 x week and LAX-MAN 3 x week? AA used to have DFW-MAN in the 90s, summer service.

MAN sort of has west coast service...BMI to LAS! It's almost in California!
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

PRAirbus

Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:43 pm

AA LAX-SJU is still a 763 and it becomes daily on high season. Rumor is it will be converted to a 757 but it has not happened yet (thank God!).

jacobin777

Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:26 pm

Quoting Humberside (Reply 26):
To be blunt, MAN-USA is a stopgap until they can fly LHR-USA. If there is EU-US open skies they will pull MAN'S long haul flights and move the aircraft to LHR as soon as they can

even with PK's 2x/weekly and AA's daily MAN-ORD, I've heard BD's MAN-ORD is one of their better performers......
"Up the Irons!"

MAH4546

Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:43 am

Quoting PRAirbus (Reply 28):
AA LAX-SJU is still a 763 and it becomes daily on high season. Rumor is it will be converted to a 757 but it has not happened yet (thank God!).

It was a 757 earlier this year and becomes a 757 again this fall.
a.

N1120A

Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:43 am

Quoting BALAX (Thread starter):

That flight was dropped quite a while ago

yes

No

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 6):
Thanks. how bout LGW ?

LAX is a Heathrow gateway. It would be nothing short of idiotic to fly LAX-LGW. Further, if any of the non-Bermuda II or international (NZ) carriers were to do it, they would be killed by the superior service to LHR from no fewer than 5 other carriers

Quoting KL808 (Reply 13):

Domestic flight.

Given the fact that AA has shown suck a lack of committment to the LAX market of late, including dropping the huge LAX-SFO and LAX-LAS routes to a piddly Eagle service, why would they expand internationally?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MAH4546

Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 31):

Given the fact that AA has shown suck a lack of committment to the LAX market of late, including dropping the huge LAX-SFO and LAX-LAS routes to a piddly Eagle service, why would they expand internationally?

LAX-SFO is mainline and has always been mainline. The only time Eagle has ever flown the route has been on weekends, occasionally. LAX-LAS gets mainline back in October.

And what lack of commitement do you speak of? The lack that now has AA operating more flights to LAX than they ever have before? The lack of commitment that has seen AA add new flights to San Antonio, Tokyo, San Juan, San Jose, and San Salvador in the past two years, and expand frequency on key hub/focus city routes to Dallas, Chicago, Miami, and JFK?

[Edited 2006-06-09 21:58:48]
a.

Humberside

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:51 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 29):
Quoting Humberside (Reply 26):
To be blunt, MAN-USA is a stopgap until they can fly LHR-USA. If there is EU-US open skies they will pull MAN'S long haul flights and move the aircraft to LHR as soon as they can

even with PK's 2x/weekly and AA's daily MAN-ORD, I've heard BD's MAN-ORD is one of their better performers......

I dont know how well its doing but bmi will drop it in favour of LHR-US if they can

N1120A

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 32):
And what lack of commitement do you speak of?

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 32):
The lack of commitment that has seen AA add new flights to San Antonio, Tokyo, San Juan, San Jose, and San Salvador in the past two years, and expand frequency on key hub/focus city routes to Dallas, Chicago, Miami, and JFK?

They also delayed Tokyo by what, 4 years? Further, they dropped Paris and Guadalejara, the latter being a particularly strong route out of LAX. Meanwhile, they added an ORD-NGO flight that everyone knew would fail and ignored the far stronger LAX-NGO market. Beyond that, their intra-California flights are a joke now.

MAH4546

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 34):
They also delayed Tokyo by what, 4 years?

One year.

You are only looking at what they have ended. The fact remains that AA has seen net growth at LAX over the past five years, so saying they have ignored it is ridiculous. It is like saying AA has ignored Dallas because they ended flights to Providence and Lima, even though they have 150 more daily flights than five years ago.
a.

jacobin777

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:30 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 34):
they added an ORD-NGO flight that everyone knew would fail and ignored the far stronger LAX-NGO market. Beyond that, their intra-California flights are a joke now.

it wasn't a "failure" in the strictest sense of the word...even after the Toyota contract loss, the route was still making money....since the yields were low, they decided that their 777-200ER could be used to better money making opportunities....hence the route being dropped..

I could easily see that route picking up if/when they purchase the 787....

Quoting Humberside (Reply 33):

I dont know how well its doing but bmi will drop it in favour of LHR-US if they can

Who's to say they would drop MAN-ORD? If they ran LHR-ORD, they would be competing a lot with the likes of AA, BA, UA...and possibly VS entering the fold....
"Up the Irons!"

LAXintl

Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:49 am

AA's operations in LA have been like an accordion having peaked following the AirCal and Reno Air mergers to only decline a few years later.

However except for those merger peaks, the current AA operation is as large as the carrier has ever been at LAX.

While the carrier has a decent East-West presence, it continues to have a mediocre overall West Coast presence. Cities like SJC, SFO, SEA have seen steady declines, and intra regional flying is mostly relegated to American Eagle.

Having mentioned Eagle, it will be interesting what AA decided to do with its West Coast activity in the next 1-2 years when the carrier losses its AE remote terminal at LAX as part of taxiway redesign work. There are no plans to build a replacement facility so short of sacrificing mainline gates to run the AE operation this could lead to an eventual withdrawal of such flying.

An even longer term issue is the loss of AA hangar facilities at LAX, which will be razed to build the recently approved mid filed satellite terminal which could further to possibly squeeze AA LAX presence.

N1120A

Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:37 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 35):
It is like saying AA has ignored Dallas because they ended flights to Providence and Lima, even though they have 150 more daily flights than five years ago.

That is the whole point. 150 more flights at an airport that already has more flights that it needs from them.

BALAX
Topic Author

Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:34 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 31):

Quoting BALAX (Thread starter):

That flight was dropped quite a while ago

The routes that I mentioned there were routes that were started by AA between and 1995 and 1999 that were later dropped. I am not sure if GDL or CDG were the last ones to disappear. I believe CDG was dropped post 911, but not certain. UA has also toyed around with the LAX-CDG route for some time. I remember UA launching LAX-CDG AGAIN after AA decided to add it to its network, I believe UA first dropped the route in 1996 (corrections welcome) and then brought it back in 99 or 2000 only to drop it once again.

There were also rumors going around in 95 about AA wanting to make SEA it's main hub to the Pacific/Far East. That was from management, don't know what happened to that. SEA-NRT was dropped years later.

In the early 1990's AA applied for LAX-NGO and LAX-NRT only to be denied over and over again. So it's not like AA wasn't into the Japanese market for years now.

Another note, AA operated a late morning departure on LAX-LHR for a couple of years (only in the Summer) departing at 11AM to complement its AA 136 at 6PM. This was actually a more popular flight because of its early arrival into LHR but the yields were lower. That was between 1993 and 1994.

How are the yields for Philippines on their LAX-MNL flights? I think there are some "secret" high yielding routes that AA could try from LAX if they'd just commit more to LAX. At least now they are more committed than back then. Crandall really didn't like LAX being on top of his priorities.

LAXintl

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:05 pm

Quoting BALAX (Reply 39):
UA has also toyed around with the LAX-CDG route for some time. I remember UA launching LAX-CDG AGAIN after AA decided to add it to its network, I believe UA first dropped the route in 1996 (corrections welcome) and then brought it back in 99 or 2000 only to drop it once again.

UA has repeatedly switched its West Coast-Paris gateways between LAX & SFO.

Quoting BALAX (Reply 39):
How are the yields for Philippines on their LAX-MNL flights?

Lousy yields. While its a rather sizable market from California its near 100% ethnic travel. UA dropped Manila service in the 90s.

jacobin777

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:16 pm

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 37):

Having mentioned Eagle, it will be interesting what AA decided to do with its West Coast activity in the next 1-2 years when the carrier losses its AE remote terminal at LAX as part of taxiway redesign work. There are no plans to build a replacement facility so short of sacrificing mainline gates to run the AE operation this could lead to an eventual withdrawal of such flying.

very interesting..I didnt' know they plan on doing that...AE is quite a large enough of an operation out of LAX.....I wonder what they will do.... scratchchin 
"Up the Irons!"

BALAX
Topic Author

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:29 pm

The design of LAX is just like that of the freeways in Los Angeles. Poorly designed and planned by the department. Funny that we can project population growth throughout the world yet we can't seem to build to sustain that growth. An area like the Los Angele area could easily use a major light rail system. I know there's the Blue, Green and Red lines, but they only cover a fraction of the population. With so many developers out there one would think the planning for mass transit would be so much better. The 405 for instance could use a monorail system from LAX to the San Fernando Valley. LAX could use a similar transportation system, but oh well, such is life. Back to the topic.

LAXintl

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:36 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 41):
.....I wonder what they will do....

Yes, this begs the bigger question of how important a West Coast AE network is to AA?

Unlike United's UAX operation which serves both for mainline connections and a good deal of O&D traffic, AE for the most part is a feeder operation. At the end of the day I suppose AA needs to consider do they still want to maintain a presence in several smaller California markets, and does their LAX flying truly require such feed to be sustained.

The LAX AE flying has already shrunk somewhat, and I strongly doubt its even close to being profitable as a stand alone operation from having seen the loads.

aaden

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:22 pm

what about AA to Asia hong kong or Beijing

MAH4546

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:23 pm

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 40):
UA has repeatedly switched its West Coast-Paris gateways between LAX & SFO.

IIRC, they've never switched them around. SFO-CDG had been around for a while, but LAX-CDG was always on/off. Of course, now UA doesn't fly to Paris from either.

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 43):
The LAX AE flying has already shrunk somewhat, and I strongly doubt its even close to being profitable as a stand alone operation from having seen the loads.

The loads don't say much. The yields are pretty good on the flights, especially the LAX-SAN flights.
a.

LAXintl

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:30 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 45):
IIRC, they've never switched them around. SFO-CDG had been around for a while, but LAX-CDG was always on/off. Of course, now UA doesn't fly to Paris from either.

No its always only been a single flight.. UA960/961 to CDG which was switched around twice between LAX & SFO with the last 5+ years at SFO before being dropped completely last year.

jacobin777

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:41 pm

Unlike United's UAX operation which serves both for mainline connections and a good deal of O&D traffic, AE for the most part is a feeder operation. At the end of the day I suppose AA needs to consider do they still want to maintain a presence in several smaller California markets, and does their LAX flying truly require such feed to be sustained.

I'm not sure if giving up on the smaller markets in the most populated state in the United States is the best idea..

take a look at SJC...while AA has been declining steadily @ SJC, they are still the 2nd largest operator after WN, with about 40-50 mainline/AE flights per day.....granted while they have ended or are ending some high-profile routes such as SJC-TPE, SJC-CDG, SJC-NRT, its a a small percentage of their daily SJC flights....they even have an Admiral's Club which gets quite full during the mornings, and I dont' see ending their SJC-NRT as having too much of an impact on it......

using SJC as my home airport, I see their Jungle-Jets filled up throughout the year....

they have 13 SJC-LAX flights alone (13 according to their .pdf file and 9 according to their electronic timetable)......AA would lose a lot of business if they were to give this up....

I flew LHR-LAX-SJC just last week, and my LAX-SJC AE flight was basically full...

while the AE's maybe losing money, I think they do need it as feeder flights to places such as NRT, JFK, LHR, etc....
"Up the Irons!"

Humberside

Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:44 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 36):
Who's to say they would drop MAN-ORD?

They would need the aircraft for LHR-US

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 36):
If they ran LHR-ORD, they would be competing a lot with the likes of AA, BA, UA...and possibly VS entering the fold....

They've always wanted to fly LHR-US, Its why they originally ordered their A330's. Look at it like a route flown for prestige. And they would probably codeshare with UA so they could use their feed at ORD to help them fill the flights